coaching trivia

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

coaching trivia

There have been 17 head coaches for the Boston Celtics franchise.  Of the 17 head coaches since 1946, name those who actually played on the hard wood for the Celtics (without using Google).

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

Re: coaching trivia

Man, I don't even dare.  I going to do terrible.

russell, tommy, jones, ford, Carr, doc

oops, forgot cowens.  Not surprised I forgot the others.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

In response to cole-ely's comment:

Man, I don't even dare.  I going to do terrible.

russell, tommy, jones, ford, Carr, doc

oops, forgot cowens.  Not surprised I forgot the others.

Thanks for playing.  Not bad, six out of seven.

Russell, Heinsohn, Jones, Cowans, Ford, and Carr are all correct, but doc ??????? Surprised I don't think so.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

Satch?

Bill Russell won more NBA titles with the Boston Celtics than Wilt, Kareem and Shaq COMBINED did as Lakers!!

No Bynum injury, no Gasol trade - 2-1 vs majic- last word!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

In response to Red-16Russ-11's comment:

Satch?

Bill Russell won more NBA titles with the Boston Celtics than Wilt, Kareem and Shaq COMBINED did as Lakers!!

No Bynum injury, no Gasol trade - 2-1 vs majic- last word!

In 1978, Sanders became the head coach of the Boston Celtics, taking over for former teammate Tommy Heinsohn. 

It might also be noted that Satch, following his retirement as a player in 1973, became the first African-American to serve as a head coach of any sport in the Ivy League when he accepted the position of head coach of basketball at Harvard University, a position he held until 1977.

Thomas Satch Sanders at NEBBHOF.jpg

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

If I may, I’d like to share a long ago event that still remains strong in my memory bank.

Back in the late 60’s, a contingent of Celtic players, invited to the Blessing of the Fleet in Provincetown, stayed at a small resort in Truro. It being June, the dining room and bar/lounge had not yet been staffed or opened. But one evening, the Celtic players where waiting for their respective wives who were getting ready to go out for dinner. The owner of the establishment, where I was working as a college student for the summer, asked me to open the lounge and act as bartender for the players to have a complimentary cocktail or two while they waited patiently for the ladies.

Thus, I was privileged and thrilled when I got to meet Heinsohn, Hondo, Sam, K.C., and Satch. They were sitting around a table, in an otherwise empty lounge, and although I had been instructed to make them feel welcomed, it was they who made me feel welcomed. Just five friends sitting around having drinks, Heinsohn’s preference as I recall vividly was Heinekin. They were so very gracious and engaging toward me. They were just as classy off the court as they displayed throughout their respective careers on the court.

And as such, I can honestly say that I had the honor and privilege of having met 5 of the greatest Celtics of that era, 3 of whom later joined the long list of great Celtic coaches.

Thanks for reading and allowing an old man to share.