Congratulations!!!!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Re: Congratulations!!!!!

In response to realdfury13's comment:

In response to snakeoil123's comment:

In response to SeemsToMe's comment:

Using the ring to determine the degree of greatness.  

Russ 11--Wilt 2

Sanders 8--Baylor1

KC Jones 8--  West 1

S Jones 10-- Robertson 1

Heinsohn 8-- Pettit 1

Many years ago I also used the RING to prove that  Russ was better than Wilt. I also used the RING to prove that the Yankee Clipper was better than Ted Williams and Mantle was better than Willie mays. As the years passed I was able to  tone down my Favorite Team bias and take a more detached view of the players. Perhaps my view on this matter changed during the Bird-Magic years when the ring count favored Magic over Bird.

Absolutely nothing wrong with being a loyal, passionate, fan of your favorite team. Been there,done that but I guess that old age has mellowed my views to a great extent.

I always enjoy these posts on player comparisons as well as post on the old timers vs the present day players and teams. Keep them coming.

Seems

Robert Horry - 7 rings

Charles Barkley - 0 rings

Karl Malone - 0 rings

Robert Horry - 7 rings.

Nash- 0 rings.

Howard- o rings.

I like this game.

All current Celtics: 4 rings

Kobe (#4 all-time scorer) 5 rings

Wow I had no idea.

So Horry  is the best of all,  then comes kobe and then Terry is better than Nash or Howard.

This is all really fascinating.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Russ 11--Wilt 2

Sanders 8--Baylor1

KC Jones 8--  West 1

S Jones 10-- Robertson 1

Heinsohn 8-- Pettit 1

Many years ago I also used the RING to prove that  Russ was better than Wilt. I also used the RING to prove that the Yankee Clipper was better than Ted Williams and Mantle was better than Willie mays. As the years passed I was able to  tone down my Favorite Team bias and take a more detached view of the players. Perhaps my view on this matter changed during the Bird-Magic years when the ring count favored Magic over Bird.

Absolutely nothing wrong with being a loyal, passionate, fan of your favorite team. Been there,done that but I guess that old age has mellowed my views to a great extent.

I always enjoy these posts on player comparisons as well as post on the old timers vs the present day players and teams. Keep them coming.

Seems

Robert Horry - 7 rings

Charles Barkley - 0 rings

Karl Malone - 0 rings

Robert Horry - 7 rings.

Nash- 0 rings.

Howard- o rings.

I like this game.

All current Celtics: 4 rings

Kobe (#4 all-time scorer) 5 rings

Gifted ring by refs in 2010.

Garnett injured in 2009.

Shaq wins three rings in a row without the help of Kobe.  As Shaq said then we could have won those three rings with Pierce.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from KingShaq. Show KingShaq's posts

In response to Duke4's comment:

on Bill Russell.....

Wilt Chamberlain..."he was the toughest for me to play against"

Jerry West after losing yet again to the Celts in 1969..."If I had my pick of any one player to build a team around, it would definitely be Bill Russell...no question"...

Russ cared about winning championships more than individual statistics.....that mindset was what set him apart from every other player in league history

"Set him apart" according to whom?

ESPN Athlete of the Century:
    1. Jordan, 13. Wilt, 17. Magic, 18 Russell

http://espn.go.com/sportscentury/athletes.html

AP basketball player of the century:

1. Jordan, 2. Oscar, 3. Wilt, 4. Russell, 5. Magic

http://lubbockonline.com/stories/121199/pro_1211990096.shtml

SLAM Magazine Top 50:

1. Jordan, 2. Wilt, 3. Russell

http://www.slamonline.com/online/the-magazine/features/2009/06/the-new-top-50/

Sport Magazine's Greatest Athlete of the Century

1. Jordan

AP Top 100 Athletes of the 20th Century

http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=272562

2. Jordan, 10. Wilt, 16. Russell

So no matter where you look, there is only one GOAT. It ain't Russell, and it ain't Wilt neither.

Now it begs the question. Why would Jordan be ranked #1 albeit with only 6 rings?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In response to KingShaq's comment:

In response to Duke4's comment:

on Bill Russell.....

Wilt Chamberlain..."he was the toughest for me to play against"

Jerry West after losing yet again to the Celts in 1969..."If I had my pick of any one player to build a team around, it would definitely be Bill Russell...no question"...

Russ cared about winning championships more than individual statistics.....that mindset was what set him apart from every other player in league history

"Set him apart" according to whom?

ESPN Athlete of the Century:
    1. Jordan, 13. Wilt, 17. Magic, 18 Russell

http://espn.go.com/sportscentury/athletes.html

AP basketball player of the century:

1. Jordan, 2. Oscar, 3. Wilt, 4. Russell, 5. Magic

http://lubbockonline.com/stories/121199/pro_1211990096.shtml

SLAM Magazine Top 50:

1. Jordan, 2. Wilt, 3. Russell

http://www.slamonline.com/online/the-magazine/features/2009/06/the-new-top-50/

Sport Magazine's Greatest Athlete of the Century

1. Jordan

AP Top 100 Athletes of the 20th Century

http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=272562

2. Jordan, 10. Wilt, 16. Russell

So no matter where you look, there is only one GOAT. It ain't Russell, and it ain't Wilt neither.

Now it begs the question. Why would Jordan be ranked #1 albeit with only 6 rings?

Because Jordan is the best player ever?

I could have told you that without all the research and cut and paste.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from KingShaq. Show KingShaq's posts

Glad that you agree!!!! So no one "set him (Russell) apart from every other player in league history".

Russell ain't anybody's #1, not even Red Auerbach's.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Glad that you agree!!!! So no one "set him (Russell) apart from every other player in league history".

Russell ain't anybody's #1, not even Red Auerbach's.

He said His "mindset" set him apart. He didn't say he was the best player ever.

But yes I take MJ over anyone ever.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from KingShaq. Show KingShaq's posts

What do you think "set him apart" means?

I can easily say Russell's mindset didn't set him apart from Jordan, who's a bigger winner than Russell. Right, 6 rings in the 90s are bigger than 11 rings in the bush-league era...

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

MJ is the best player ever

Wilt is the most dominant player ever

Russ is the greatest winner ever

Robert Horry is the greatest mercenary ever

Sam Jones is the most underrated player ever

Danny Ainge was the biggest whiner ever

koME is the greatest narcissist to ever play in the NBA!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from KingShaq. Show KingShaq's posts

In response to concord27's comment:

Shaq wins three rings in a row without the help of Kobe.  As Shaq said then we could have won those three rings with Pierce.

????

Kobe could have won those 3 rings with Tim Duncan too. So what are you trying to say?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

I'd take Russell over anyone, anytime, ever.  in this day and time, people can only remember what they saw recently.  So, people debate Lebron being better than Jordan because they see Lebron more these days.  Likewise Jordon over Magic and Bird.  But if Bird didn't have Magic and visa versa, either would have dominated the League By themselves.  Russell is out of sight and therefore out of mind but if, like the old man I am, you saw Russell's competitiveness, you'd know what he singlehandily did in college, the Olympics, and pros redefined EVERYONE's game.  He played, coached, motivated, and did things better than anyone the next generation saw.

i'm sure the same folks will say Duke's Coach K is better than John Wooden.  But , that's only because most people didn't see how Wooden's coaching was so far beyond everyone else as was his recruiting and understanding of the game and the players.

there will never be another guy like Bill Russell who did what he did in a time of massive hate and unrest.  His focus was unselfish, innovative, and focused on winning more than anyone, not to mention athletic and intellectual ability.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

????

Kobe could have won those 3 rings with Tim Duncan too. So what are you trying to say?

I am saying Kobe was irrelevant in the championships won with Shaq.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

Russell didn't shoot or pass well.

If you put Wilt on those Celtics teams and they would have won every year.

Russell was the best passer on the team.

Who cares about his shooting, he wasn't a shooter or scorer........it's like saying, you know, Russ shot 44% for his career, and Oscar Roberston shot 48.5%  and so, you know, therefore, the Big O wasn't much of a shooter.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

Question - would Scottie Pippen have been a HOF player without Jordan?

Ponder it yourself, but the ONLY player already on the Celtics when Russ was drafted that would have made the HOF was Cousy.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from KingShaq. Show KingShaq's posts

I am saying Kobe was irrelevant in the championships won with Shaq.

OK, if you say a player getting 21.1-4.5-4.4 in the 2000 playoffs, 29.4-7.3-6.1 in 2001, 26.6-5.8-4.6 in 2002 is irrelevant, you are showing your Kobe-hatre...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

In response to Red-16Russ-11's comment:

Russell didn't shoot or pass well.

If you put Wilt on those Celtics teams and they would have won every year.

Russell was the best passer on the team.

Who cares about his shooting, he wasn't a shooter or scorer........it's like saying, you know, Russ shot 44% for his career, and Oscar Roberston shot 48.5%  and so, you know, therefore, the Big O wasn't much of a shooter.

Russell had hands of stone.

Russell shot 44% on all layups.

He would be somewhere between Dwight and Deandre Jordan today. 

ignorarant and hateful comment

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

What do you think "set him apart" means?

I can easily say Russell's mindset didn't set him apart from Jordan, who's a bigger winner than Russell. Right, 6 rings in the 90s are bigger than 11 rings in the bush-league era...

I don't know. does "set him apart" mean "best of all time" to you?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeemsToMe. Show SeemsToMe's posts

In response to Red-16Russ-11's comment:

Russ 11--Wilt 2

Sanders 8--Baylor1

KC Jones 8--  West 1

S Jones 10-- Robertson 1

Heinsohn 8-- Pettit 1

Seems

My students were having a conversation the other day....who is  better Trout or Harper?

I bought up Williams and DiMaggio (of course, neither will be as good), and said the debate has raged for years.  No one will say Ted was a bad player............but I hope we can agree :

Ted (Harper) was the better hitter

Joe D (Trout) was the better overall player.

Red16 - Russ11

In my younger years I was a Baseball fanatic.  Much less 0ver the last 20 years. I now seem to spent about 90% of my time researching the quality of Basketball in the 50's and 60's vs the last 30 yrs or so. Its my number 1 hobby.However the history of the game of baseball from the 20's through the  60's is still very vivid in my memory. 

As to your question about  Joe and Ted.  As I recall the overwhelming concensus was, like you pointed out, DiMaggio the better overall player and Williams the better hitter. For me it was always Joe at the top with Williams Number 2. But as a Yankee fan I guess that is a normal opinion. Many years later I would realize that Sox fans were just as justified in their defense of Williams as number 1.

Seems

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Russell defined winning.....before he came in the Celtics had Cousy and others and were a playoff team that could not advance to the Finals....when Russ came onboard they immediately became perennial champions...12 Finals appearances in 13 years...Jordan was a great player...he won six championships...but did his team win almost every year of his fifteen year career....NO...compare them...Russell...13 years...12 Finals appearances...11 titles (he was injured when they lost to the Hawks)....and the team lost players continually...guys like Sharman, Ramsey, Cousy, Heinsohn...they replaced some of those guys with the likes of Don Nelson, Larry Seigfried, and Emmit Bryant...and still kept on winning...

look the the Lakers....couldn't beat Boston with Baylor and West...add Wilt...still no ring until Big Bill retired...

look at Kobe...played Robin to Shaq's Batman during the three-peat...and Pau should've won the Finals MVP in 2010....when Kobe ran Shaq out of town how did his team do..? ....they went 34-48 the following year and missed the playoffs...then they were bounced in the first round of the playoffs the next two years...

No one ever came close to Russell when it came to winning titles...just like John Wooden, he was in a class by himself....and thinking that Wilt could've done the same thing if he played in Boston?....no way....Wilt didn't have that mindset when it came to winning...he was interested in individual stats...hell, he was traded twice during his prime because he couldn't fit in the team concept....people claim that Wilt didn't play on great teams.....that's BS....his '67 Sixers were named the greatest team in history....and they couldn't even repeat....they lost to Boston the following season....then he teamed up with Baylor and West...and his team was upset in game 7 at home playing an aging Celtic team that would see both Russ and Sam hang it up when it was all over...

Bill Russell is the greatest single player in American team sports when it comes to winning championships...as I stated earlier....in 15 years he accululated 14 rings during his college career, the Olympics and the pros....it will never be challenged.....MJ was 6 of 15 as a pro...you as the reader can decide for yourself...isn't the reason that they play team sports is to win championships...? ....nobody ever did it like Russ....so he wasn't a great shooter..?  ....again, was he a great winner..? ...what's more important in the final analysis..?

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

for those of you that like to point out Robert Horry and his 7 rings......he was a "role player" who played for four teams over a sixteen year career....he never even made an all star team.....I get what you are trying to say...but Bill Russell was the alpha dog on every team he ever played on...MJ can say that....Baylor and West shared that status....Wilt was top dog on several great teams but also top dog on many teams that under achieved....Kobe was top dog on both winners and losers...Russ was top dog on nothing but winners....over a fifteen year period...think about that for a while.... 

Sections
Shortcuts