Contingency Plans (Ideas Not Predictions)

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from henryfinkel. Show henryfinkel's posts

Re: Contingency Plans (Ideas Not Predictions)

Anyone dumb enough to marry one of the Kardashian sisters and then act totally surprised when he's dumped is not someone I want to tie my fortunes to.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CelticFanLA. Show CelticFanLA's posts

Interesting article from Bill Simmons on what the Celtics should do:

BOSTON CELTICS

Needs: Yikes, what don't they need? They're starting Jermaine O'Neal at center. The third guard is Keyon Dooling. The best bench swingman (Jeff Green) might be out for the season with a "mystery ailment" (that's never good). As a Boston buddy of mine texted last night, "It's starting to feel like 1991." That's not a good thing.

Additional Notes: They're over the cap and already used this year's exception. The good news is that Green's murky situation is holding them hostage indefinitely.

What They SHOULD Do: Sign Arenas for nothing. Why not? If that doesn't work, try to survive for two months until the overseas guys (Brooks, Vujacic, Kenyon Martin, etc.) come back, then try to steal one or two of them for cheap … you know, assuming Pierce, Garnett and Allen haven't been destroyed by the shortened season by then. I want to throw up.

Five super-duper sneaky veterans are still lingering: Kenyon Martin (trapped in China), Michael Redd (couldn't he drain a few 3s for a contender?), Peja Stojakovic (ditto), DeShawn Stevenson (the LeBron stopper!) and Reggie Evans (last season: 26.5 MPG, 11.5 RPG). If the Celtics don't sign DeShawn soon, I'm throwing a tantrum. The only thing that stops LeBron better than DeShawn Stevenson is the fourth quarter.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7360397/the-eleventh-day-nba-christmas

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ConnectingRod. Show ConnectingRod's posts

In Response to Contingency Plans (Ideas Not Predictions):
    [QUOTE]If Green s/b lost for the season (hopefully that's the extent of it) and we get a one year "Disabled Player Exception" for 50% of his salary then who do we pursue? Since we now have Daniels & Pavlovic able to back up Pierce at SF , we can opt for another Center , a SG or replay the David West scenario with a PF enabling KG to play some time at center. Some players at each position that might fit: At SF , Travis Outlaw has been waived and might take the exception though he didn't have a very good season last year. At C, Okafor makes sense both as a player and trade bait for DH this season or longer term if the C's are unable to sign DH via a S&T or as a FA. If it's another SG then Arron Afflalo (RFA) and Nick Young (RFA) are two good ones with Afflalo being more defensive but not as likely to be a recurrent All-Star as Young ... which is why the Wizz will most likely match any offer. Or for yet another PF , he's not David West but he's younger and with the right mentors, Kris Humphries (FA) could develop into a descent scorer to augment his rebounding and also free up KG for some center play and/or help to shave some minutes off his playing time. From SB Nation: /> What he [Humphries] brings is a tenacious nose for the ball on the glass. Last season, Hump registered the No. 5 offensive rebounding rate in the entire league, and finished No. 2 on the defensive boards. Part of that can be owed to having a poor rebounding center in Lopez -- Humphries' defensive rate was much higher in New Jersey than it'd been elsewhere over his first 5-1/2 seasons -- but Hump has always been a monster on the offensive glass, and should remain so. Humphries is underwhelming as a scorer; his career per-36 average is 13.2 with a 46 percent effective field goal percentage that's quite low for a role player who takes only an average number of shots. Hump's mid-range jumper is rarely used but not bad; he shouldn't be asked to stroke it from outside much, but when he does he will be a decent option. Painfully few rumors about Humphries' next team have surfaced compared to all of the rumors about his personal life. He seems like a natural fit for a full mid-level exception (four years, $22 million ), but could drive for more if teams struggle to use up their cap space. < Maybe $4.5 will do for 1 year knowing we will have cap space in the off season for a longer deal if he performs well. But most likely, he will opt for the biggest contract like most young players with no conception of how tough it is to win one ring over their careers.
    Posted by Mployee8[/QUOTE]

Travis Outlaw got waived through amnesty, duh!

What are the chances of all these contingency plans end up failing because you authored these so-called contingency plans? Pretty high if you ask me! LOL

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

If we have 1/2 of Greens $ we could go after Delambert who's is still available.
    Just because Outlaw was grossly overpaid in NJ doesn't mean he can't play,he can, he just wasn't a guy that could produce like a #2 scorer night in night out he only 26 he has talent and maybe the experience has got his attention and has both talent and a chip on his shoulder he will be a factor somewhere. Humphries too he is an excellent rebounder and decent low post scorer. Defensively,nobody on his team really played D so who knows? Arron Afflalo is the best player available overall and is not only a guy that can back up RA but he is only 25 and is a possible starter after RA era ends. He might not be our biggest position of need but a starter quality player that is only 25 and is still improving. Nick Young again talented and young a little raw but athletic as hell.
    Arenas only if really cheap and has his head together, we don't need another head case ala D West. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillallbost08. Show stillallbost08's posts

In Response to Re: Contingency Plans (Ideas Not Predictions):
    [QUOTE]Looks like Boston was just a contingency plan for David West, Mployee8. “This was at the top of my list, the Pacers and the organization,” West said during his introductory press conference. “Obviously there were other opportunities out there but they didn’t present this opportunity. This was the best opportunity, especially in this condensed season and moving forward. It’s a good core. It’s not just one or two guys, there’s a good core group here. In examining it I feel like I can really add and bring something to have an impact on this core group.” http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-saturday-irving-impresses-in-debut/
    Posted by Fiercest34[/QUOTE]

good thing the Pacers also offered the most $$.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]Anyone dumb enough to marry one of the Kardashian sisters and then act totally surprised when he's dumped is not someone I want to tie my fortunes to.
    Posted by henryfinkel[/QUOTE]

I do think that he could help the Celtics, but definitely a bad decision by him to marry Kim.  Anybody in their right mind would stay away from any of the Kardashian sisters.  Although, Lamar and Khloe seem to have a good relationship. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Fierce,
    Here is a quote from A. Sherrod Blakely which seems to say because we are over the salary cap we are not eligible for the injury compensations clause.

BOSTON -- Because Jeff Green failed his physical, the $9 million contract he signed with th the ream earlier this month is voided. However, that doesn't mean the Celtics now have $9 million to spend elsewhere. 

Because the C's are well over the league salary cap of about $58 million, the only thing they can offer free agents is a veteran minimum contract. 

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from maryngary. Show maryngary's posts

void contract, league waver, use of indurance, Can the Celts get some help here?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Mployee,
    Thanks for the information, hoping we can find a way to pick someone of value up.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]Concord, Here's a quote from Chris Forsberg of ESPN: "The Celtics could apply for an injury exception for Green, but that would require them to not only pay Green his $9 million this season, but also up to 50 percent of his salary ($4.5 million) for a replacement. So that would cost the team upwards of $27 million giving that tax-paying teams pay dollar for dollar over the threshold. Boston would be pushing a $90 million payroll and $40 million luxury tax bill by applying for an exception." Not that I have faith in what a reporter says. It's been said that the C's technically had no valid contract once Green failed the physical making the "Disabled Player Exception" a moot point. If it were to be argued that he was our player at the RFA QO then based on what Forsberg is saying the C's would need to acquire another player at like $ to get the exception. That makes no sense to me. Either you're eligible for the exception based on medical reports or you're not. The rule doesn't seem to address under vs over the tax teams except for a reference to the amount allowable - "the lesser of half the replaced player's salary or the non-taxpayer midlevel exception ." That could be construed to mean that only non-taxpayer teams are eligible but that's not very clear. Seems as though the exception is meant to allow any team replace the player with another up to 50% of the original player's salary or the full MLE whichever is lower. In which case the C's s/b able to acquire another player for about $3M out of pocket plus tax regardless of their cap situation. Sure if Green is deemed a player based on the QO ($6M) the C's would have to pay him plus the additional $3M in salary subject to the tax but what's the difference.  $9M plus tax had Green passed his physical or $6M to Green for the QO + $3M for a replacement player = $9M plus tax. And the C's could have had insurance on the contract as well to reimburse them for the loss to lessen the bite of the overall tax. Need to get more details on this ... At a minimum it's up to the League/Herr Stern if the C's are eligible for the exception. Let's wait and see.
    Posted by Mployee8[/QUOTE]

Thanks for posting this.  Very interesting information. 

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from breaktime. Show breaktime's posts

My contingency plan: Lowered expectations

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from basketbert. Show basketbert's posts

[QUOTE]My contingency plan: Lowered expectations
    Posted by breaktime[/QUOTE]
    That might be the best option.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHEisCHE. Show CHEisCHE's posts

Let's see if weasel Stern will help the Celtics.
    I understand that there are rules in NBA trade, the exchange of players, the draft, the salary caps, the soft caps, the tight salary matching rules, the mid level exception, Bi-annual exception, rookie exception, Larry Bird exception, release players, amnesty clause.....on and on and on and on.....

...but there is a rule that no one believes me. David Stern rule that is not included to rule of the NBA book. And that rule is his ability to override all the rules in the book. 
    That happened a few weeks ago when he overrided the trade of Paul going to the Lakers. He said, it will tilt the power back to the Lakers. The Gasol trade was a mystery trade that Stern approved.
    He manipulated the CP3 so HOward's destination will be at the LA...and that's what you call David Stern pay back to the Lakers.

I was very young then and never understood the Bias & the Reggie Lewis misfortune. Stern hate the Celtics and the power in the East tilted away from the Celtics for 20 years drought. No consideration was given to the Celtics.
    And that's why I hate 'em.

Sections
Shortcuts