Contraction/ Get rid of the two or three worst teams over the last few years!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoctorCO. Show DoctorCO's posts

Re: Contraction/ Get rid of the two or three worst teams over the last few years!!

The nba should contract....

NO,Char,Memp...1 or 2 of teams should contract...one of the teams should move to seatle and the other to vegas...

With seatle and vegas...those markets can bring good ratings to the league..

while with one team contracted give the league a dose of talent...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

Re: Contraction/ Get rid of the two or three worst teams over the last few years!!

I seriously doubt vegas will ever get any type of professional team...
    too many potential problems, temptations...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

HOOPSWORLD
    NBA AM: Is Contraction an Option?

By: Alex Raskin   Last Updated: 8/15/11 8:25 AM ET | 2050 times read

Looks like this could be a possibility after all....

"(Contraction) is not a subject that we're against," Stern told Simmons. "In fact, when you talk about the revenue sharing, a number of teams have said that if you have a team that is perpetually going to be a recipient, aren't you better off with the ability to buy them in? Because between the revenue sharing and the split of international and the TV money, we could almost buy them in with their own money."

But how realistic is contraction and does the subject have any place in the current collective bargaining negotiations? In the past, the union has opposed such a drastic measure because it would eliminate 15 jobs per team, but Stern claims the union is more open to the extreme measure now that the league is supposedly unprofitable.

Read more NBA news and insight: http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=20593#ixzz1V7pQYI3E

Read more NBA news and insight: http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=20593#ixzz1V7ogDpDe

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BoylestonBB. Show BoylestonBB's posts

Am a long term proponent of contraction, reducing the number of teams will improve the product.  26 is a good number Worthy.  What have Charlotte, Minnesota, Toronto, New Orleans really brought to the league - other than poor teams?

That said, it is unlikely that this occurs.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"However I think the League was a better product prior to Stern taking control."

Well except the games weren't on TV and even the NBA finals was on tape delay. Other than the fact that you couldn't view most of the product the product was great.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

Well except the games weren't on TV and even the NBA finals was on tape delay. Other than the fact that you couldn't view most of the product the product was great.

I also liked my cell phone from the 80's.just ..loved chugging that brief case around..along with my beeper....and that aol dial up..shreek..... online..sounded like someone was dynng when you got on...if you got on...ahhhhh..good times...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Seems, the players of today are more athletic.....they also have weight training, supplements, diets.....the players of an earlier generation didn't have that environment...

the players of yesteryear all (majority) played 4 years of college ball to hone their skills....they played better basketball in my opinion....better passing....shooting percentages weren't what they are now but the dunk has a lot to do with that....these days many rules are no longer enforced.....players routinely travel, violate the old "up and down" rule and palm the ball....I don't think any of those rules were ever officially changed.....I am not saying the players were better.....but I think the overall game was.....just one man's opinion my friend....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

Can't say i totally disagree with the Duke...one of my favorites alltime actors...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeemsToMe. Show SeemsToMe's posts

In Response to Re: Contraction/ Get rid of the two or three worst teams over the last few years!!:
    [QUOTE]Seems, the players of today are more athletic.....they also have weight training, supplements, diets.....the players of an earlier generation didn't have that environment... the players of yesteryear all (majority) played 4 years of college ball to hone their skills....they played better basketball in my opinion....better passing....shooting percentages weren't what they are now but the dunk has a lot to do with that....these days many rules are no longer enforced.....players routinely travel, violate the old "up and down" rule and palm the ball....I don't think any of those rules were ever officially changed.....I am not saying the players were better.....but I think the overall game was.....just one man's opinion my friend....
    Posted by Duke4[/QUOTE]
    Duke
      Did you get those dvd's of the 1960's Celtics? By the way-theres a great game on tonight on nba .com. at 8pm.  1988 playoff game, Celtics vs Hawks. Shootout between Bird and Wilkins. I'll be recording the game.
    Seems

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

I remember that game Seems............what a shootout........as for the dvd's.......yes...got 'em....but, since they were a Christmas present, my wife confiscated them...ok by me....we do this every year....as for the games from the '60's and on....I watched every Sunday....then, in '69, they aired the first ever evening playoff game (Celts/Knicks).......I took off work early to watch it....my car broke down and I hitch hiked 10 miles home...made in the nick of time.............notice I didn't say (prime time)...?  ....if I remember correctly, the game started around 7 PM EST.....the start of some great night time basketball....of course, 10 years later the games were relegated to being shown on tape delays (including the '80 Finals between Philly and LA).....the era of Wickes and Rowe.....what a nightmare that was....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

Somewhere In The Middle
    sounds like maybe a little progress..
    http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2011/08/11/somewhere-in-the-middle/hurry up already!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeemsToMe. Show SeemsToMe's posts

Lousy teams have been a problem for other generations as well. Take the years 1959-60 through 1968-69, for example, when 28% of the teams had a winning percentage of under 400%.  This was 4% worse than the 24% rate for the years 2001-02 through 2010-11. Also note that the Celts from 1993-94 through 2000-01 played at a .386% rate. Also note that back in the 60's the bottom teams did not have to worry about loosing there best players to the bigger market franchises through free agency.

Contrary, to what others believe, the league is in no way watered down. In fact,the supply in relation to demand is just fine.

Seems 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from painter. Show painter's posts

Actually, the decision is not based on winning (or losing) percentages but on dollar value, both in the local markets and to the league.  How many people would tune into a nationally televised game between Toronto and New Oleans compared to a Boston/LA game? Or Miami/Chicago? Where are the sponsors putting their advertising dollars? What's the local TV market share for the first two teams?  It's all about $$$.  Personally, I get rid of four to six teams that are not adding to either the competition and/or are able to sustain a budget in the black. There were teams in KC, San Diego, Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, St. Louis, and Ft. Wayne that either moved or closed down and the league lived on without them.  

In all things there are degrees.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeemsToMe. Show SeemsToMe's posts

In Response to Re: Contraction/ Get rid of the two or three worst teams over the last few years!!:
    [QUOTE]Actually, the decision is not based on winning (or losing) percentages but on dollar value, both in the local markets and to the league.  How many people would tune into a nationally televised game between Toronto and New Oleans compared to a Boston/LA game? Or Miami/Chicago? Where are the sponsors putting their advertising dollars? What's the local TV market share for the first two teams?  It's all about $$$.  Personally, I get rid of four to six teams that are not adding to either the competition and/or are able to sustain a budget in the black. There were teams in KC, San Diego, Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, St. Louis, and Ft. Wayne that either moved or closed down and the league lived on without them.   In all things there are degrees.  
    Posted by painter[/QUOTE]
    painter,
    Glad to see that you noted the problems that the teams of the present face  were the same as those faced by the teams of the 50's-60's. Many old timers have forgotten about how tough it was to be a successful francise back in the old days.
    Seems

Sections
Shortcuts