CONTRARIAN DILEMMA: SERIOUSLY.... on what galaxy is MICHAEL PHELPS to be considered the BEST athlete or even best OLYMPIAN ATHLETE ever?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

CONTRARIAN DILEMMA...

hey rim-me, i'm getting ready for your laughable reverse racism or discrimination charge. first i'm anti-blak, now let me make the other un-PC CONTRARIAN argument. first of, i live in MD, home of phelps, and have grown to admire the man and his entire family. however, being totally objective, its a real stretch to say he's the greatest athlete ever. i mean come on, can we consider any major league baseball player or early nba'r or nfl'r the greatest ever when they (thru no fault of their own) never played with brothas or anyone with a diffferent pigmentation?

i mean this is not about the best accountant or something along those lines which unfortunately the data STILL say that only certain non-pigmented groups have the clear advantage in (AT THIS POINT). BUT when it comes to athleticism the data is quite clear who the superiors are and lets just say.. they dont look like mr. phelps or the guys he's competing against. see what happened to the great russian hottie maria sharapova yesterday? thats exactly what would happen to olympic swimming when a serena williams starts to compete. just look at what gabby did in gymnastics. anyone seriously pointing to mary lou retton or any russian anymore as the best gymnastic ATHLETE anymore? the upside of the blak athlete is so much higher than any other at this time.. period!

lochte talks about working overtime to put on some muscles and he's the biggest dude in the pool which has helped him be the #2 guy (first loser) to phelps. hmmm, has anyone seen a lebron james? i dont believe the man has had to really work extra hard to sculpt that body. you put that dude in a pool with the right training at an early age and he's shattering records phelps never dreamed of. in 20 years, as american integration continues to prosper (still the BEST COUNTry at it despite what the doomers say via a total lack of global and western perspective) the next wave of swimming lebrons will make laughable most of what phelps has accomplished.

kind of like the joke it is to consider george mikan the best center or player in the history of the land in lieu of a shaq or jordan or kareem or olajuwon and so forth. or red grange the best nfl running back ever in lieu of a jim brown or barry sanders or bo jackson. or a ty cobb in lieu of a jackie robinson, WILLIE MAYS, rickey henderson or even carl crawford. even in olympic lore, phelps is a better ATHLETE than jesse owens (really?) or bolt? i know these are inconvenient truths for some but i'm sorry, just keeping it real... in terms of athletes and athleticism, brothas and sistas (minus HOPE SOLO) change the entire EQUATION!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

Re: CONTRARIAN DILEMMA: SERIOUSLY.... on what galaxy is MICHAEL PHELPS to be considered the BEST athlete or even best OLYMPIA...

As usual you are full of crap. Lebron James couldn't beat Phelps at swimming if he started when he was 2.  It just shows your stupidity saying he is not a great athlete. You do know only about 16% of major league baseball players are black dont you? Sound like your saying if your not black you can't be a great athlete.  Pathetic.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

Re: CONTRARIAN DILEMMA: SERIOUSLY.... on what galaxy is MICHAEL PHELPS to be considered the BEST athlete or even best OLYMPIA...

Nothing to do with color...but it's a completely different skill set, as well as completely different muscles and toning. Lebron would sink like a brick with his muscle, and Lochte would get destroyed at the rim. 

You put LeBron in a pool doing their workout and he's going to look just as foolish as if you put Phelps in the skills competition.

That being said, we'll take your argument of LeBron starting at 2...well what if Phelps started playing ball at 2? At a long 6-4 you don't think he has just as good a chance at being a great basketball player as LeBron does of becoming a great swimmer?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

In Response to Re: CONTRARIAN DILEMMA: SERIOUSLY.... on what galaxy is MICHAEL PHELPS to be considered the BEST athlete or even best OLYMPIAN ATHLETE ever?:
    As usual you are full of crap. Lebron James couldn't beat Phelps at swimming if he started when he was 2.  It just shows your stupidity saying he is not a great athlete. You do know only about 16% of major league baseball players are black dont you? Sound like your saying if your not black you can't be a great athlete.  Pathetic.
    Posted by OneOnOne
    like with terrorists.. u know, not all muslims are terrorists or all terrorists are not muslims (i.e, the aurora terrorist shooter) but so far all (most) foreign terrorists blowing things up regarding the US are muslims.. likewise, not all great athletes are black but all (most) black olympians are great athletes. u always have exceptions, but a lot of white olympians are not really great athletes. btw, your baseball example is laughable. you must not separate african-americans from BLAK). ROBINSON CANO PER EXAMPLE IS black. so is jeter (in pigmentation).

one can be a black latino or a white latino (zimmerman the florida shooter per illustration or gisele or jennifer lopez if you will). clearly, if we stick strictly to the biological or genetic classification of "black" and skip biased cultural and political notions, the number is far in excess of 16%. as a norm, more blacks in sports are better athletes than their less pigmented brethren. not a racist thing, just reality (racial but not racist). and please dont start telling me how donkey riders are "athletes" or nascar types are "athletes". the car or horse may be the athlete not them. they are facilitators. defining athlete as someone who has to rely on his own bodily skills and gifts to thrive. u know, running, jumping, lateral movement, quickness, speed, that type of thing.

so yep, just as in the real world in other endeavors. we are talking the collective pool. any athletic endeavor that has a strong black pool in it is going to outperform one that doesnt, be it in hockey, cycling or otherwise. if i'm the US olympic commitee, i'm coming to baltimore and in the inner cities looking for young black kids to strart training and including in the process of swimming, skateboarding, skiing and  other sports. look at track esp the 100 yard dash. are all whites bad sprinters? of course not. you always have an outlier. i would never say 'all" for anything genetic. most humans and species are heterosexual, but clearly you have bisexual and homosexual outliers in all. norms are different than "normal". bottom line if you were betting on who would win a random 100 yard dash, you would be smart to lay out your rent money on a brotha.. no? would you go with the white guy from ukraine or sweden over bolt?.. really?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

In Response to Re: CONTRARIAN DILEMMA: SERIOUSLY.... on what galaxy is MICHAEL PHELPS to be considered the BEST athlete or even best OLYMPIAN ATHLETE ever?:
    Nothing to do with color...but it's a completely different skill set, as well as completely different muscles and toning. Lebron would sink like a brick with his muscle, and Lochte would get destroyed at the rim.  You put LeBron in a pool doing their workout and he's going to look just as foolish as if you put Phelps in the skills competition. That being said, we'll take your argument of LeBron starting at 2...well what if Phelps started playing ball at 2? At a long 6-4 you don't think he has just as good a chance at being a great basketball player as LeBron does of becoming a great swimmer?
    Posted by jgallag1

OK let me expand on it.  No Phelps more than likely couldn't play basketball.  He does have the body frame for it more than Lebron for swimming. I should have expanded further. I have no Idea how Phelps would do at Basketball.  He probably has a better chance of being a good balll player than Lebron a swimmer simply looking at body build.   But to say Phelps is not a great athelete is silly.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

Nothing to do with color...but it's a completely different skill set, as well as completely different muscles and toning. Lebron would sink like a brick with his muscle, and Lochte would get destroyed at the rim.  You put LeBron in a pool doing their workout and he's going to look just as foolish as if you put Phelps in the skills competition. That being said, we'll take your argument of LeBron starting at 2...well what if Phelps started playing ball at 2? At a long 6-4 you don't think he has just as good a chance at being a great basketball player as LeBron does of becoming a great swimmer?
    Posted by jgallag1
    great points COMRADE. but i'm not really talking about individuals. genetics really is about a collective genetic POOL. gets tricky and very socially sensitive but clearly there is logic to it. look at horses, if u breed a secretariat or u take a jambroni strain, who is more likely to have the edge over the long term? again, u will always have outliers. as a norm, the secretariat strain will win! thats the joy of athleticism and genes over culture. lets try tennis. andre agassi and steffi graf's genes over time should outproduce most combos of genes out there. now let's say, you took serena williams and connected her with a lebron, in addition to having the most athletic buttt in the history of sports, a kid from that pool will be able to outgrit and outpower anyone over time including steffi and andre's pool kid.

if we talk about genes that would make one a productive citizen or a good father or a good politician, you can't for CULTURE and environment have a much bigger say in many cases than genes. all things being equal, if u bred 100 lebrons, and 100 phelpses and give them the same training and environment from conception to age 20, i would expect there to be more lebrons emerging as dominants than the phelpses. with more confidence and reinforcement that comes from environmental incentives and support, they should continue to pass on their superior traits and keep on dominating indefinitely. ultimately, the lebron body type is superior to the phelps' kind for just about every sport (minus being a jockey of course) incl swimming.

bron can dominantly guard  and score at every basketball position for his body type and skillset makes him superior at all 5 positions.. period. a properly trained bron should be able to power his way thru the water with his strokes. can you imagine bron coming down the stretch against a phelps-type in the last 10 seconds of a race?

again, not really knocking phelps, he belongs in the conversation of top olympians based on the reality as it is, but its not like a david beckham or wayne rooney or the top white guys in soccer. when they say they are amongst the BEST athletes, i cant dispute it much for they have to compete against the best that all races and pigments, and all classes and cultures have to offer everyday and in every game. unfortunately, thats not the case for mr. phelps. for the most part, its just exclusively about rich suburban white guys. talking about .02% of the world's population? he's a great athlete but FARRRR from the BEST!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

One other thing.  I believe they have been referring to Phelps as the greatest Olympian ever, not the greatest athlete as you suggest.   Until they create the "Million Dollar Man" of Olympics that wins over 20 gold medal, (yes 20)    I think that is pretty hard to argue.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

OneonOne..I was actually agreeing with you in the thinking that the OP is crazy. They are what they are, LeBron is great at basketball and Phelps is the best swimmer ever. But for him to say LeBron is a better athlete than Phelps because Phelps is "just a swimmer"...that's crazy. Even if LeBron started swimming when he was 2...Phelps, and pretty much any olympian including the women, would probably kick the crap out of him. Honestly, even if LeBron went into a pool after a month of swim training, a very good local high school swimmer...let's say all state from Miami...would kick the crap out of him.

I'm not sure if you've ever tried to swim CC...not like take a dip in a pool, I mean REALLY swim. It's an amazingly hard sport. And Phelps has done it accross the board. You compare it to track, and that's like Bolt not only winning the 100M and 200M...but also doing both those races with hurdles, doing the steeplechase,  the 400M and both high and long jump...and winning in all of them...dominantly for 12 years.
    You can't compare it to many other sports, but the closest you can to BB is to say LeBron is the best dunker of all time (Carter, MJ, Dominique?), has the purest jump shot of all time (Mullin, Ray Ray, Miller), is the best blocker of all time (Russell, Gilmore), and has the best court vision and passing of all time (Nash, Stockton...a couple of those suburban white guys you were talking about). It just doesn't happen. He's a freak, and even on the tail end of his career is racking up golds. 

He is one of the best Olympians of all time...is one of the most dominant athletes of all time...and yes, is one of the MOST ATHLETIC guys in ANY sport.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

OneonOne..I was actually agreeing with you in the thinking that the OP is crazy. They are what they are, LeBron is great at basketball and Phelps is the best swimmer ever. But for him to say LeBron is a better athlete than Phelps because Phelps is "just a swimmer"...that's crazy. Even if LeBron started swimming when he was 2...Phelps, and pretty much any olympian including the women, would probably kick the crap out of him. Honestly, even if LeBron went into a pool after a month of swim training, a very good local high school swimmer...let's say all state from Miami...would kick the crap out of him. I'm not sure if you've ever tried to swim CC...not like take a dip in a pool, I mean REALLY swim. It's an amazingly hard sport. And Phelps has done it accross the board. You compare it to track, and that's like Bolt not only winning the 100M and 200M...but also doing both those races with hurdles, doing the steeplechase,  the 400M and both high and long jump...and winning in all of them...dominantly for 12 years. You can't compare it to many other sports, but the closest you can to BB is to say LeBron is the best dunker of all time (Carter, MJ, Dominique?), has the purest jump shot of all time (Mullin, Ray Ray, Miller), is the best blocker of all time (Russell, Gilmore), and has the best court vision and passing of all time (Nash, Stockton...a couple of those suburban white guys you were talking about). It just doesn't happen. He's a freak, and even on the tail end of his career is racking up golds.  He is one of the best Olympians of all time...is one of the most dominant athletes of all time...and yes, is one of the MOST ATHLETIC guys in ANY sport.  
    Posted by jgallag1

Very well put. Even Ping Pong is a sport that requires reflexs,speed, etc. Skiing requires athletic ability, marathons, etc. There are all kinds of sports that test all kinds of athletic ability. Some are done better by some.  Does diving require athlectic ablility? World would really be dull if only muscles were the determining factor on whether you were a good athlete or not.  I guess maybe the Iceman wasn't very good at basketball since he was a string bean.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fenwayjimy. Show Fenwayjimy's posts

OP is pure nonsense.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from WE5NUTS. Show WE5NUTS's posts

Do you literally post these things to stir up the pot? Come on. Let me say what he's trying to say. Black men can't swim and white men can't jump. His words, not mine.

Sections
Shortcuts