Copycat league

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

Copycat league

The year is 2008 - the Boston Celtics have won the NBA title.  They did it with 3 HOF's on their team, no names needed.

Following that, and suddenly, the mantra in the league became - "you NEED 3 superstars to win".  This set off a plethora of moves that led James Wade and Bosh to MIA.

Well, did you need 3 superstars before that?  The Bulls had 2.  lakers had 2...........so every team tried to copy what DA did, to get their team the title. 

It worked for 4 years, MIA went to the Finals 4 straight times............but only won 2.

What happened last year was the TEAM of the Spurs sacrificed stats and ego, brought back old-school ball and spanked the Heat.

This being a copycat league, what will happen now?

IMO, teams will try to create DEPTH, like the Spurs have.  I've mentioned it before - Mills, Belinelli, Ginobli, Diaw and Splitter would be a playoff team in the East.

Isn't DA already doing this?  Rondo AND Smart..............Bradley AND Young...........Sully AND Oly???

The difference, of course, is that Duncan is a rare breed of player and human being.  And also the fact that the Spurs already had Robinson when they drafted Duncan.  Tim Duncan is one of the reasons they should raise the draft age.  He was ready to play right out of college, and has played 17 years.

The NBA season is a grind.  I think it is incredibly impressive that no one (not even youngster Leonard) played more than 29 mins per game on the Spurs last year.  Doc Rivers could never coach that team.

I think we are one All-Star and a couple of role players away from making noise in the East.  I really do.  I'm a glass half-full kind of person.

I'm all in for Love - esp if it means shedding Green's contract.

But, I'm also stressing patience.  We have a multitude of draft picks, but we really can't sign any Free Agents, guys.

We have some BAAAAAD contracts on our team - led by Wallace.  We got draft picks for him, but his contract is still a nightmare.  Green's isn't much better.

Good news is that Bass and Anthony (and maybe Rondo) come off the books at the end of the year.

Bad news is if we keep Rondo, we'll have to pay him and Love a boatload of money.

I have a hard time when I read the word - "PLAN" in these threads.  I don't know that DA has one, nor should he.  Has Riles considered the possibility of losing both James and Bosh?

ex - read today that Phil "wants LeBron in NY."  Of course he does, he always wants the league's best player.  And "all " he has to do is shed the contracts of Amare and Bargnani, and not take any salary back.......

GEE - is that all?  If that's his "plan" the Knicks are royally screwed!!

ex- laker fans want Melo, Thomas and Gasol next year.  "All " they would have to do is move Nash and make a couple of other moves...............is that ALL???

At this time of year, most teams, you see, are in the same boat that we are...........drifting along and waiting.

I'd rather have a GM who can adapt on the fly than one who is stuck to a plan.

Rebuild quickly, or rebuild through the draft.............doesn't matter - just rebuild.  Adapt, improvise.  WE need to be patient.  One year from now, if there is no light at the end of the tunnel, I'll be depressed. 

But knowing the contractual situation of the team, and the players out there.................everyone just relax.

"Climb on my back, boys, and I'll take you home." - Cedric Maxwell

"You show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." - Red Auerbach

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." - Hedley Lamarr

If no Bynum injury, no Gasol trade - last word!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Number6Fan. Show Number6Fan's posts

Re: Copycat league

Amen.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Zeller and Thornton help here and now

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

In response to billge's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Zeller and Thornton help here and now

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

LOL - I know.  That trade happened as I was typing.........funny stuff.  LOVE the trade.

Sections
Shortcuts