Could Bird come back?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Could Bird come back?

I don't think Wyc is ready to part ways with Danny yet. If Doc, PP and KG are gone I think there is a way we can get Larry to come in and run things. Ainge becomes the coach of his own young players, traded for players and rebuild project. He retains the title of GM.

But Bird gets the title of CEO and Director of Basketball Operations, (or team President, something like that).

Everyone says nice things about how there will be joint decision making but b/c Ainge is coaching now he can't do it all and Larry is a legend who should spent the end of his front office career back in green.

Remember, Danny was a pretty darn good coach in Phoenix. Now he pulls an M.L. Carr. Doc's 7m salary goes to Bird.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Re: Could Bird come back?

In response to rameakap's comment:

I don't think Wyc is ready to part ways with Danny yet. If Doc, PP and KG are gone I think there is a way we can get Larry to come in and run things. Ainge becomes the coach of his own young players, traded for players and rebuild project. He retains the title of GM.

But Bird gets the title of CEO and Director of Basketball Operations, (or team President, something like that).

Everyone says nice things about how there will be joint decision making but b/c Ainge is coaching now he can't do it all and Larry is a legend who should spent the end of his front office career back in green.

Remember, Danny was a pretty darn good coach in Phoenix. Now he pulls an M.L. Carr. Doc's 7m salary goes to Bird.

I don't think so.  Ainge had a heart attack not too long ago, coaching sound like a hard grind for him.  I do want Bird back though.  Bird back will make the franchise heal and stronger than ever.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to concord27's comment:

[QUOTE]

I don't think so.  Ainge had a heart attack not too long ago, coaching sound like a hard grind for him.  I do want Bird back though.  Bird back will make the franchise heal and stronger than ever.

[/QUOTE]

So can Danny accept being a GM underneath Bird who'd be given more power?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I would accept that, but really Bird is not going to need him.

[/QUOTE]

So can Danny accept being a GM underneath Bird who'd be given more power?

[/QUOTE]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Danny has aged like 20 years in the last 10. I forgot about the heart attack. He arrived looking 38 (was actually 44) and now looks 58 (actually 54)

Danny when he took over as GM: http://www.celticstown.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/danny-ainge.jpg

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/eastvalleytribune.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/e/8a/e8acd10c-0df6-542c-ac55-33f5f4f6c7df/4e9008acf329f.preview-300.jpg

Danny this year: http://redsarmy.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/danny-ainge.jpg  

http://celticshub.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/ainge-sad.jpg

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

The point is Larry Bird, built a team as well as any GM in the league with the Pacers.  We need him as a symbol of the Celtics name and a judge of talent as well. Ainge can stay but why would Larry want him there.  Danny does not bring along talent the way Larry does.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tripleb2066. Show tripleb2066's posts

Can Bird be the new coach?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from teejaytee70. Show teejaytee70's posts

Here's a link to the Pacers records over the years.  Bird took over as GM in 2003:

http://www.nbauniverse.com/teams/records_indiana_pacers.htm

You'll see the 4 straight lottery years.  Of his 9 years at the helm, 5 of those teams were below .500.  1 year was at .500 exactly.  In 2009, he drafted Tyler Hansborough when he could've drafted Jrue Holliday, Ty Lawson, or Jeff Teague.  How is Bird better than Ainge again?  What great trade did Bird ever make?  I'll always love Bird as a player, but as a GM, I know its sacrilege to say, but Bird hasn't been all that great.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from teejaytee70. Show teejaytee70's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:

In response to teejaytee70's comment:

[QUOTE]

Here's a link to the Pacers records over the years.  Bird took over as GM in 2003:

You'll see the 4 straight lottery years.  Of his 9 years at the helm, 5 of those teams were below .500.  1 year was at .500 exactly.  In 2009, he drafted Tyler Hansborough when he could've drafted Jrue Holliday, Ty Lawson, or Jeff Teague.  How is Bird better than Ainge again?  What great trade did Bird ever make?  I'll always love Bird as a player, but as a GM, I know its sacrilege to say, but Bird hasn't been all that great.

Bingo!

Larry Bird is my favorite Celtic player.

But I don't know if he's better than Ainge as a GM.

[/QUOTE]

I don't even think there is a question about Ainge being a better GM than Bird.  I don't think it's even close.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Bingo!

Larry Bird is my favorite Celtic player.

But I don't know if he's better than Ainge as a GM.

[/QUOTE]

I don't even think there is a question about Ainge being a better GM than Bird.  I don't think it's even close.

[/QUOTE]

I can see your point.  GM's records drafting are always spotty and hard to judge.  Ainge however has not done a good job the last three years.  We needed a couple of pieces that would have put us over the top and he did not provide them.  Letting Tony Allen go was unforgiveable and preventable mistake.  The timing of the Perkins trade destroyed the 2011 season.  But it is not who he let go but who he did not add the last few years.  Danny Green was out there, not that he should have got him, but who has he added the last few years.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

For those who doubt Bird look at the Pacer roster and look at the Celtic roster. Who has better players top to bottom?  Bird built the roster.  He is a Celtic legend to boot.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from breaktime. Show breaktime's posts

Agree.  One heart attack is enuff.  Coaching's too demanding. And then you throw Rondo and rebuilding into the mix.  Too much.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Yeah I forgot about the heart attack stuff with Ainge

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from painter. Show painter's posts

Let's start by dumping Ainge and going from there.  The person most responsible for any failure of the Celtics is Ainge, so he has to pay the price.  Doc never traded, signed, or drafted anyone.  

"They don't put Ws and Ls on the paychecks" - Sidney Wicks

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Ainge has a 50-50 record both drafting and in his offseasons since the amazing move in '07 to get Ray and KG to join Pierce.

Bird was maybe making the right moves 75% of the time in those years

Sections
Shortcuts