Could Celtics Acquire Jeremy Lin?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Louisio. Show Louisio's posts

Could Celtics Acquire Jeremy Lin?

Frequent reader infrequent poster here. I'd like to know if the board has any thoughts on Boston pursuing Jeremy Lin in the off-season. Obviously a few stellar performances doesn't gurantee he's the real deal -- we'll have to see how/whether defenses learn to deal with him. But Lin certainly looks like he MIGHT be a huge talent. If that proves to be the case, I'm wondering if the Celtics could target him, and whether or not they'd be in a strong position. My understanding is New York doesn't have a lot of salary dollars to re-sign him -- certainly not enough to compete with Boston. Moroever, it's certainly far from a sure think Rondo will still be in green come season's end. Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

Re: Could Celtics Acquire Jeremy Lin?

if he keeps it up the rest of the season, lots of teams will be after him. CA is his home state, for what it's worth. but to answer your question, yes, especially if we move rondo.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

He is a restricted free agent with early Bird rights....that means NY can either match any offer he gets, OR just offer him a long term deal at the end of the year.  He's not going anywhere!!

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In Response to Re: Could Celtics Acquire Jeremy Lin?:
    [QUOTE]Why would Lin leave NY when the fans in NY love him? There's no reason for Lin to leave NY.
    Posted by Fiercest34[/QUOTE]

Agree with you.  The Celtics should have signed Lin when he was originally drafted.   As I already posted, it is always nice to see the Celtics draft players from local colleges even though it doesn't happen very often.  At least they drafted Reggie Lewis.  Not sure why they didn't draft Jose Barea. 

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Could Celtics Acquire Jeremy Lin? : At that time we had a Rondo that was playing very well. The Celts were focusing on the bigs at that time. 

I don't even remember when he was drafted or if we even had a chance of drafting him, but it seems to me that we have had a need for a backup to Rondo for several years.   Drafting a young  guard who has good shooting ability seems like a good choice to me. 

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from GinaM1977. Show GinaM1977's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Could Celtics Acquire Jeremy Lin? : I don't even remember when he was drafted or if we even had a chance of drafting him, but it seems to me that we have had a need for a backup to Rondo for several years.   Drafting a young  guard who has good shooting ability seems like a good choice to me. 
    Posted by susan250[/QUOTE]

Lin was not drafted.
    He came out of college in 2010, played in the Summer League amd was offered a contract by GS. He barely played and was released after the season. He was signed by Houston to a non-guaranteed contract, then released.

As an fyi, Lin outplayed John Wall in the Summer League in 2010.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

If I were the Knicks GM, I wouldn't trade Lin for entire Celtics starting five! Why in the world would they? Right now he not only makes every player on that team 50% better, he's a totally unselfish player, and makes them 50% happier as well!

Somebody in their front office got lucky; just as the Pats did with Brady. Suck it up, fellow fans. this kid ain't goin' nowhere!

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

Offer him a max contract just to mess things up for the Knicks!!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoahJustin. Show NoahJustin's posts

Let's see first if he can keep it up over an entire season, or if he's just having a great month.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

i wouldn't offer anyone a max deal based on a week's worth of playing. wait until teams have time to plan for him and let's see what he does. it doesn't take much to make derek fisher look old and slow.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

[QUOTE]i wouldn't offer anyone a max deal based on a week's worth of playing. wait until teams have time to plan for him and let's see what he does. it doesn't take much to make derek fisher look old and slow.
    Posted by kaktug[/QUOTE]

finally a realistic view

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from passfirst. Show passfirst's posts

[QUOTE]i wouldn't offer anyone a max deal based on a week's worth of playing. wait until teams have time to plan for him and let's see what he does. it doesn't take much to make derek fisher look old and slow.
    Posted by kaktug[/QUOTE]

The jury is still out and will be for a while.  He'll have to do it for a couple of years after the league has adjusted to him.  However, it looks like he thinks the game out really well and will be able to make adjustments and develop his game to stay good in this league.  His only challenge will be a physical one.  He has worked diligently to get to this point by preparing his body.  Can he keep it together once the grind of the NBA sets in is my only question.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from passfirst. Show passfirst's posts

He's staying in NY or going out to the the west coast.  as mentioned in another discussion, he is huge for the brand of the team he is on.  NY, LA maybe...  I don't see him coming to Boston but you never know.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Could Celtics Acquire Jeremy Lin? :   The jury is still out and will be for a while.  He'll have to do it for a couple of years after the league has adjusted to him.  However, it looks like he thinks the game out really well and will be able to make adjustments and develop his game to stay good in this league.  His only challenge will be a physical one.  He has worked diligently to get to this point by preparing his body.  Can he keep it together once the grind of the NBA sets in is my only question.
    Posted by passfirst[/QUOTE]

He definitely must have worked on his shooting or whatever he was deficient in since he was undrafted.  He is really an amazing story and you don't usually see someone who is undrafted turn around this dramatically.  A very lucky pickup for the Knicks.  It will be interesting to see how he plays for the rest of the season and the next few seasons. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdm894g. Show jdm894g's posts

Can we sign the next flavor of the week or flavor of the month?  blah blah blah!!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BIGAPPLEORCHARD. Show BIGAPPLEORCHARD's posts

[QUOTE]Why would Lin leave NY when the fans in NY love him? There's no reason for Lin to leave NY.

Lin's 2 brothers and some other family members live in NY too.  Besides, 4 years of chubby chicks from Cambridge is enough for any man.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BIGAPPLEORCHARD. Show BIGAPPLEORCHARD's posts

Lin's 2 brothers and some other family members live in NY too.  Besides, 4 years of chubby chicks from Cambridge is enough for any man.