Could it be Speights?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Could it be Speights?

Is this the guy DA is waiting for? 

The Cavaliers have wins in both of their games (113-108 over Milwaukee in Cleveland on Friday night; 99-98 at Toronto on Saturday night) with forward-center Marreese Speights and shooting guard Wayne Ellington coming off the bench, and playing well. They were obtained in a trade with the Memphis Grizzlies last week.

Speights has a $4.5 million option on his contract for next season. Sam Amico writes for FoxSportsOhio.com that it's possible Speights won't be with the Cavs for long, as the Feb. 21 trade deadline approaches: 

Rumors say the Cavs may be willing to move Speights at the trade deadline, and while they really like him, it wouldn’t be a major surprise. He can opt out of his contract at season’s end and will be looking to get paid.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Re: Could it be Speights?

NBA Trade Rumors: Cavaliers open to trading Omri Casspi, Daniel Gibson, and Marreese Speights

By Conrad Kaczmarek on Jan 26, 12:16p

David Richard-USA TODAY Sports

The Cleveland Cavaliers just made a rather significant trade with the Memphis Grizzlies. But it sounds as though they may not be done just yet.

Trade rumors! Even though the Cleveland Cavaliers made a great trade last week,ESPN's Marc Stein suggests that Chris Grant isn't done making those moves.

The trade with the Grizzlies brought Wayne EllingtonJosh Selby, and Marreese Speights to Cleveland. Selby got sent down to the Canton Charge to get some playing time, but Speights and Ellington both played key roles in Friday night's win over theMilwaukee Bucks.

Despite that, the Cavs are willing to keep moving guys.

Don't be shocked if the Cavaliers decide to move Speights on again before the Feb. 21 deadline.

The Cavs obviously aren't in the playoff hunt and word is they're already receiving interest in Speights, who possesses a $4.5 million player option for next season. The Cavs are also armed with $12 million in expiring contracts and roughly $4 million in leftover cap space for the summer, which means they've got the tools to continue to be active before this deadline.

Since the Cavs aren't trying to win this season, moving Speights to a playoff team that needs another big man could bring a nice return. I'd like to keep Speights for his energy, value, and ability to give Tyler Zeller some help down low. But if the Boston Celticswere to offer their first round pick for him, you'd have to take that, right? I'm not saying that the Celtics are interested or would give up their first round pick -- but such an offer would definitely make Chris Grant think.

It's reported that Daniel Gibson and Omri Casspi are also on the trading block. A team such as the Denver Nuggets could use some outside shooting and the salary relief that the Cavaliers can provide with Luke Walton's expiring contract. Nothing is imminent and these are just trade rumors (which I know everybody loves), but it's something to keep an eye on.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:

The question is, would the Cavs want Brandon Bass for Speights?

Exactly what I was thinking! We might have to sweeten the deal with a second rd pick! 

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

In response to BCSP's comment:

Exactly what I was thinking! We might have to sweeten the deal with a second rd pick! 

It's going to take more than just a 2nd round pick for the Cavs to agree to pay Bass 13.35m for 2 more seasons.

Hey! dreams are free! LOL! The question then becomes, is it worth our 1st round pick to get Speights and dump BBs contract? 

I am leaning toward a yes! 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from genaro008. Show genaro008's posts

Yes unless we are lotto bound.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Right now the best way to go is get Redick then sign K-Mart.

Even if the Celts lose Bass, to match salaries with Redick, the Celts still have KG, Sully, Wilcox, and Collins. Doc only uses 3-4 bigs in the playoffs. KG will once again play 36 minutes per game in the playoffs.

And Orlando doesn't have to take Bass, a 3rd team who needs bench help can take Bass.

I like this scenario as well! The question then becomes does Orlando want Bass back? 

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Even if the Celts lose Bass, to match salaries with Redick, the Celts still have KG, Sully, Wilcox, and Collins. Doc only uses 3-4 bigs in the playoffs. KG will once again play 36 minutes per game in the playoffs.

And Orlando doesn't have to take Bass, a 3rd team who needs bench help can take Bass.

If DH is out, Mitch is going to be looking for a serviceable big! BB for the rights to J. Hill (and throw-ins to make the $ work)? 

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Right now it's best if Ainge plans for the future. 

If the playoffs started now, the Celts would play the Heat in the 1st round, Nets or Pacers in the 2nd round, and the Knicks in the east finals. Remember, we have to beat the Heat 4 times in the playoffs. It's not looking good.

I agree! The C's would need one of their young players to elevate their game to an All Star level! Possible candidates include JG and AB! 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

If DH is out, Mitch is going to be looking for a serviceable big! BB for the rights to J. Hill (and throw-ins to make the $ work)? 

From the articles I've read, the Lakers don't want to take in more contracts. So a contract like Bass' is not what they want.

I read that as well. Mitch would likely consider a player like K-Mart! 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

It's going to take more than just a 2nd round pick for the Cavs to agree to pay Bass 13.35m for 2 more seasons.

Hey! dreams are free! LOL! The question then becomes, is it worth our 1st round pick to get Speights and dump BBs contract? 

I am leaning toward a yes! 

Not worth it because we can get more from our 1st round pick. Right now our 1st round pick is #15. So it's not like we're just dangling a 1st round pick in the 20s. 

And Speights is just another role player. He's not even a great rebounder, he's more of a scorer. A slight upgrade over Bass.

This could be the weakest draft of all time.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from genaro008. Show genaro008's posts

Weak drafts are good for late round picks because big school players go ahead and there some nice mid major gems.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

Right now it's best if Ainge plans for the future. 

If the playoffs started now, the Celts would play the Heat in the 1st round, Nets or Pacers in the 2nd round, and the Knicks in the east finals. Remember, we have to beat the Heat 4 times in the playoffs. It's not looking good.

I agree! The C's would need one of their young players to elevate their game to an All Star level! Possible candidates include JG and AB! 

AB has that kind of potential..JG, not sure just yet...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DR3V1_qAj9o 

young, athletic, and scorer mentality. Looks like a poor man Big Al..

Not bad coming off the bench for KG..

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

That Gibson is a scorer too..

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

Bass and a pick in a weak draft can only bring so much...I would love Big Al, but at what cost??

Sections
Shortcuts