Could it be Speights?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

Re: Could it be Speights?

In response to Fierce34's comment:

In response to BCSP's comment:

Right now the best way to go is get Redick then sign K-Mart.

Even if the Celts lose Bass, to match salaries with Redick, the Celts still have KG, Sully, Wilcox, and Collins. Doc only uses 3-4 bigs in the playoffs. KG will once again play 36 minutes per game in the playoffs.

And Orlando doesn't have to take Bass, a 3rd team who needs bench help can take Bass.

I like this scenario as well! The question then becomes does Orlando want Bass back? 

A 3rd team would have to take Bass. Orlando wouldn't want Bass.

I thought you said we could trade Bass and a pick for Reddick?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

In response to Ortiz123's comment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DR3V1_qAj9o 

young, athletic, and scorer mentality. Looks like a poor man Big Al..

Not bad coming off the bench for KG..

Nice! I am guessing KG would love playing together with this kid! He's definately got game! 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Bass and a pick in a weak draft can only bring so much...I would love Big Al, but at what cost??

We can get big Al at no cost, if we clear cap space and wait until this summer! Al has already stated he has a strong interest in returning to Boston! 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

You love Al Jefferson, with an older KG next year you think Al will suddenly lead this team to victories. He never has before.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

In response to concord27's comment:

You love Al Jefferson, with an older KG next year you think Al will suddenly lead this team to victories. He never has before.

I love the fact he is a legit low post player, who can be obtained over the summer at no cost (other than salary of course)!

I did not state in any of my posts that big Al will lead us to the promise land (by himself)! I do beleive, he would be an important piece of the puzzle for years to come! 

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from GAShamrock60. Show GAShamrock60's posts

We might me able to get him for a 2nd and Collins, Wilcox, etc.  He would help a lot and would be an upgrade on Wilcox or Collins but not worth a 1st round pick. They don't want Bass because if they are willing to give up Speights they are trying to free up salary and Bass would burden them with more. I think Bass is ok but not many teams are going to want him with the contract that he has.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

In response to GAShamrock60's comment:

We might me able to get him for a 2nd and Collins, Wilcox, etc.  He would help a lot and would be an upgrade on Wilcox or Collins but not worth a 1st round pick. They don't want Bass because if they are willing to give up Speights they are trying to free up salary and Bass would burden them with more. I think Bass is ok but not many teams are going to want him with the contract that he has.

Salaries have to match. Collins and Wilcox won't get it done because salaries won't match.

Who would want Collins?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Salaries have to match. Collins and Wilcox won't get it done because salaries won't match.

To your point, the Cavs will want something of value in return! My guess is they are looking for a draft pick!

On the other side of that coin, if their asking price is to high, and they dont move him, they will likely get nothing, unless they re-sign him for more $$ this summer!

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

To your point, the Cavs will want something of value in return! My guess is they are looking for a draft pick!

On the other side of that coin, if their asking price is to high, and they dont move him, they will likely get nothing, unless they re-sign him for more $$ this summer!

The reason why I'm not sold on Speights is because he won't be playing in the last 5 mins. of the 4th qtr.

Redick on the other hand will be in their in the last 5 mins. of the game.

Last 5 mins. line-up:

C - KG

PF - Green

SF - Pierce

SG - Redick

PG - Terry or Bradley

I am all for JJ, but Speights fills more of an immediate need. JJ can be had this summer as well (at no cost other than salary), if the Cs clear enough cap space.

Another elephant in the room is AB! He has one more year on his deal, and the Cs will have to decide if he is a part of their future! The only negatives with AB is his size and injury history. If DA does not believe AB is a part of Cs future, then he may trade him for JJ strait-up.

Note, I do not see this happening, just speculation on my part.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

I am all for JJ, but Speights fills more of an immediate need. JJ can be had this summer as well (at no cost other than salary), if the Cs clear enough cap space.

Another elephant in the room is AB! He has one more year on his deal, and the Cs will have to decide if he is a part of their future! The only negatives with AB is his size and injury history. If DA does not believe AB is a part of Cs future, then he may trade him for JJ strait-up.

Bass still has to be included because Redick for AB can't be done because salaries won't match. 

If Orlando wants AB then Bass and AB for Redick. No draft picks involved.

Great point! Wow! that will be a tough call for DA!!

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

Bass and a pick in a weak draft can only bring so much...I would love Big Al, but at what cost??

That would be nice...Ill take both those guys but this would not be a bad plan b orc..

Jeff Green and Bass would get us Big Al.

The Magic have no need for Redick as they will be a lotto team for years to come. Getting the 15th pick of the draft for Redick is a good deal for the Magic.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

I don't think Utah is just going to let him walk...

I love the fact he is a legit low post player, who can be obtained over the summer at no cost (other than salary of course)!

I did not state in any of my posts that big Al will lead us to the promise land (by himself)! I do beleive, he would be an important piece of the puzzle for years to come! 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

Bass still has to be included because Redick for AB can't be done because salaries won't match. 

If Orlando wants AB then Bass and AB for Redick. No draft picks involved.

noooooooo!

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

DA certainly has allot on his plate! Speculation on my part, I think there will be multiple trades over the next few weeks! Of course, I have been "less than correct" before! LOL!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from CelticFanLA. Show CelticFanLA's posts

+1

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

This is just what the Cs Need!!!

Cavalier Film Room: Some People Call Him Marreese

February 1, 2013 by Kirk 1 Comment

WFNY Cavaliers Film RoomOne week ago, I was in awe of Kyrie Irving’s All-Star week. This week, he may not speak of the pompatus of love, and Steve Miller Band may have spelled it a little different, but we’re going to take a look at how Marreese Speights is giving the Cavaliers elements of something they haven’t had since Shaquille O’Neal walked out the door following the 2010 season: a bruising post scoring threat. Enough with the puns; let’s go to the film.

In the newcomer’s first game, he helped rally the Cavaliers from a second half 20-point deficit to beat the Bucks at The Q. Speights had a couple of difficult moves in the post that gave the Cavs the lift they needed, all while playing the entirety of the quarter over Tristan Thompson. Tristan was having a stellar game with 18 points through three quarters, so that speaks volumes of the veteran’s effort and the decision for Byron to stick with him.

We start early in the fourth with Luke Walton holding the ball just inside the three-point arc on the left wing. Speights is sizing up Larry Sanders. We begin here because how often do we really see Cavalier big men fighting for position on the block and calling for the ball? Furthermore, when they do call for it, how often do we see them actually get the ball and score? Tristan Thompson’s making huge strides there, but Speights instantly commands that attention.

cavsfilmroom_bucks_24

Speights easily gets position on the thin-framed Sanders. Notice that Walton, one of the team’s most adept and willing passers, is looking into the post.

cavsfilmroom_bucks_25

Speights pins his man to his right and extends his left hand for the ball. Walton takes a dribble to the right to make an easier passing angle. THIS is good team basketball. This is the stuff that they teach you in drills in junior high. It’s also some of the fundamental stuff lost on a good chunk of NBA players.

cavsfilmroom_bucks_26

Speights gets the ball mid-post and immediately turns and faces the basket. As you’ll see later, his mid-range jumper is always an option for him and one for which the defense must account.

cavsfilmroom_bucks_27

cavsfilmroom_bucks_28

He starts his move to the basket almost immediately. He heads towards the middle, not shying away from the contact that the shotblocker Sanders will provide.

cavsfilmroom_bucks_29

Here, Marreese looks poised to explode up with some sort of powerful move. Notice how he instead rips it through, which acts as a ball fake, and takes it across Sanders’ face, finishing off the glass.

cavsfilmroom_bucks_30

cavsfilmroom_bucks_31

In another fourth quarter set, Speights gets the ball in the right corner with Ersan Ilyasova guarding him. This is a serious mismatch, one that Speigths will look to take advantage of in the post.

cavsfilmroom_bucks_32

So much of Speights’ threat in getting points is with the first dribble and corresponding step from the triple threat position. Whereas in the screenshot above you’ll see an open lane if Speights gets past Ilyasova, three heads turn on that first move to the basket.

cavsfilmroom_bucks_33

Again, Marreese starts his move left and finishes back to his right. Despite the help from Dunleavy Jr., it’s another high glass finish as the former Gator shows off his touch around the rim.

cavsfilmroom_bucks_34

cavsfilmroom_bucks_35

We head to Toronto to take a look at the mid-range element. Speights gets the ball against Amir Johnson in the right corner. Amir is in close guarding position, perhaps a little too close for Speights.

cavsfilmroom_raptors_1

Again, it’s the turn and face for Speights that sets everything up. Johnson is trying to force him to the middle and is pretty close guarding position. It’s Speights with the power jab step (hard to see here, my apologies, but trust me he just planted his foot hard in the shot below) that gives him the separation to raise up and shoot it.

cavsfilmroom_raptors_2

Speights drills it from a stride inside the line. On the season, he’s shooting 44.8% from 10-ft to the three point line, which is certainly respectable for a big man.

cavsfilmroom_raptors_3

Speights isn’t known as a great 1-on-1 defender, and that much is clear to me from his short time in wine and gold on straight-up post defense. However, he is showing great communication and help defense thus far, and here are just a few examples of that.

cavsfilmroom_bucks_36

cavsfilmroom_bucks_37

Here, we see him split the difference and hedge against a Mike Dunleavy Jr. drive to the hole, getting a deflection and eventual steal by stepping in front of the pass intended for Ekpe Udoh. The Cavs as a unit are often guilty of overhelping on driving guards, leading to ferocious dunks from the opponent bigs.

cavsfilmroom_bucks_38

This time, it’s a helpside contest of Monta Ellis on the drive that forces a wild and missed shot.

cavsfilmroom_bucks_39

And finally, it’s anticipating and stepping over to take the charge against Dunleavy Jr. These type of plays, coupled with communication in the low post help improve the Cavaliers’ defense, which as we all know by now is in desperate need of it.

The per-36 stats just scream for the 6’10″ forward to see more playing time. How do these look? 16.8 points, 11.4 rebounds, and 1.6 blocks. That’s better than Tristan’s equivalent stats and more scoring than Andy. It would certainly seem that Marreese will see that opportunity as a third/fourth big over the next year and a half, provided he remains in wine and gold.

That’s it for this week, and until next time, the film room is closed!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Speights: 17-pts and 8-rebs last night against the Pistons! 

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts