Could the Celtics Win the Atlantic Division???

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Could the Celtics Win the Atlantic Division???

Put aside for a moment the belief (that I share) that this team probably cannot contend for a championship, as is.  Concentrate only on the Atlantic Division and ask if they can win that division, as currently constituted?

The Celtics are two games behind the Sixers and one game down in the loss column with all of our injuries, our bad start, and all of our terrible games.  Add to this we are 4 games UP in the loss column over the Knicks.  Then, remember that we have the same home record as the Sixers and only two games worse than them on the road.

Yes, we have a terrible road trip coming up.  So do they.  They have only 2 less road games than we do and have loss only 1 less road game than we have (we lost 10 on the road and they lost 9).  So, they are a bad road team, like we are.  And.....they still have to play Knicks, Indiana, Chicago, Miami, San Antonio, Boston, Orlando, and Cleveland on the road.  They play Boston, knicks, Orlando, Miami, and Indiana at home - all playoff teams trying to get position.

The Sixers have a tough road to hoe and I predict the Celtics will overtake them for 1st place.   Of course, that will get us through the first round and probably not much further but we'll get to see our C's play at least into the second round and maybe 3rd.

Any of you believe we can win the Atlantic as currently constituted?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from basketbert. Show basketbert's posts

Re: Could the Celtics Win the Atlantic Division???

With the latest Wilcox setback? I doubt it. I hope Greg can step up, but I fear the worst, starting today.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobbestgolf. Show bobbestgolf's posts

C's lucky to be above 500.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

In Response to Could the Celtics Win the Atlantic Division???:
    [QUOTE]Put aside for a moment the belief (that I share) that this team probably cannot contend for a championship, as is.  Concentrate only on the Atlantic Division and ask if they can win that division, as currently constituted? The Celtics are two games behind the Sixers and one game down in the loss column with all of our injuries, our bad start, and all of our terrible games.  Add to this we are 4 games UP in the loss column over the Knicks.  Then, remember that we have the same home record as the Sixers and only two games worse than them on the road. Yes, we have a terrible road trip coming up.  So do they.  They have only 2 less road games than we do and have loss only 1 less road game than we have (we lost 10 on the road and they lost 9).  So, they are a bad road team, like we are.  And.....they still have to play Knicks, Indiana, Chicago, Miami, San Antonio, Boston, Orlando, and Cleveland on the road.  They play Boston, knicks, Orlando, Miami, and Indiana at home - all playoff teams trying to get position. The Sixers have a tough road to hoe and I predict the Celtics will overtake them for 1st place.   Of course, that will get us through the first round and probably not much further but we'll get to see our C's play at least into the second round and maybe 3rd. Any of you believe we can win the Atlantic as currently constituted?
    Posted by Celtsfan4life[/QUOTE]
    The Celtics have an even harder road to hoe and we are old and injured.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Don't let one tough loss tonight fool you, guys.  The C's will bounce back and Philadelphia will have some tough losses, as well.

Look at the Knicks tonight - lost at home.  They will never catch the Cs and while Philly is on the road, they'll have losses like us.

C's had a tough loss today, but I was encouraged that they played so well with injured players out, on the road, against a tough Laker team.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

I'm not sure what your point is...?   ......not being a pain, but does it matter if they do win the division title..?  ....they still have no shot at a championship do they...? ...and, after all, isn't that why they play the games...?   ... I really don't mean to sound like a jerk...I just don't understand why this is important....I must be missing something...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rebels345209. Show Rebels345209's posts

I would take a division win and that would mean avoiding miami and Chicago early.... Andof course we CAN win the Atlantic

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rebels345209. Show Rebels345209's posts

I would take a division win and that would mean avoiding miami and Chicago early.... Andof course we CAN win the Atlantic

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

In Response to Re: Could the Celtics Win the Atlantic Division???:
    [QUOTE]I'm not sure what your point is...?   ......not being a pain, but does it matter if they do win the division title..?  ....they still have no shot at a championship do they...? ...and, after all, isn't that why they play the games...?   ... I really don't mean to sound like a jerk...I just don't understand why this is important....I must be missing something...
    Posted by Duke4[/QUOTE]

Using your logic, why play the season then?   Why even pull for the team if they aren't going to win the championship.  In fact, why would anyone on any team other than Miami, OKC, and the Bulls pull for their team since those are the favorites to win?

I want my team to win all the time and I pull for them no matter what their chances are.  That's the point.  Not trying to be a jerk, but seriously, I enter the conversation about winning the division because that gives home court advantage in the first round and you never know what happens after that.  

That's the point.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from elDunker2. Show elDunker2's posts

Yes, the Celtics COULD win the Atlantic. So could Philly and the Knicks. Injuries and durability are keys for any team and older players break down more easily. However, It is not fulfilling for me that the Celtics win a division comprised of non-competitive teams nor win one round of playoffs. If we can't compete for a championship, which we can not with the current team, then they just don't excite me and I'll be more interested in the Bruins, the Sox and thePatriots draft ...until ownership is serious about building a winner.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeemsToMe. Show SeemsToMe's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Could the Celtics Win the Atlantic Division??? : Using your logic, why play the season then?   Why even pull for the team if they aren't going to win the championship.  In fact, why would anyone on any team other than Miami, OKC, and the Bulls pull for their team since those are the favorites to win? I want my team to win all the time and I pull for them no matter what their chances are.  That's the point.  Not trying to be a jerk, but seriously, I enter the conversation about winning the division because that gives home court advantage in the first round and you never know what happens after that.   That's the point.

"I want my team to win all the time and I pull for them no matter what their chances are"

Per your above quote, I would agree with you that on most occasions it is an admirable stand to take when it comes to team loyalty. But this is not a business as usual situation. Like Ainge has stated, when and if he feels that the teams chances of winning the championship are very low, he must make decissions that deeply affect the teams future. Should he decide that the Celts chances of winning it all are quite slim he has stated that he would not hesitate to make moves that would be geared to future Celtic success. Should he,for example, decide now to move if possible, Allen or Garnett for draft picks or younger players, he would at lease be getting something in return for two players whose contracts expire at the end of the season. And with the loss of those two players it could also be expected that the team could possibly enhance the teams drafting position in the upcoming draft.Its everything about the Celtic future rather than quiting on the present team. Good luck Danny.

Seems

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Could the Celtics Win the Atlantic Division??? :      "I want my team to win all the time and I pull for them no matter what their chances are"   Per your above quote, I would agree with you that on most occasions it is an admirable stand to take when it comes to team loyalty. But this is not a business as usual situation. Like Ainge has stated, when and if he feels that the teams chances of winning the championship are very low, he must make decissions that deeply affect the teams future. Should he decide that the Celts chances of winning it all are quite slim he has stated that he would not hesitate to make moves that would be geared to future Celtic success. Should he,for example, decide now to move if possible, Allen or Garnett for draft picks or younger players, he would at lease be getting something in return for two players whose contracts expire at the end of the season. And with the loss of those two players it could also be expected that the team could possibly enhance the teams drafting position in the upcoming draft.Its everything about the Celtic future rather than quiting on the present team. Good luck Danny.  Seems
    Posted by SeemsToMe[/QUOTE]

So what are you doing....rooting for them to lose rather than win the Atlantic Division?   Danny hasn't pulled the trigger yet and if he does, we'll evaluate them.  Until then, we have the team we have.   When the contracts are gone at the end of the season, he can use the cap room for free agents but until then, he's only going to get low, very low, draft choices or get other team's bad contracts.  That doesn't help the future.

So in the meantime, I'm rooting for them to win the Atlantic.  How about you?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeemsToMe. Show SeemsToMe's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Could the Celtics Win the Atlantic Division??? : So what are you doing....rooting for them to lose rather than win the Atlantic Division?   Danny hasn't pulled the trigger yet and if he does, we'll evaluate them.  Until then, we have the team we have.   When the contracts are gone at the end of the season, he can use the cap room for free agents but until then, he's only going to get low, very low, draft choices or get other team's bad contracts.  That doesn't help the future. So in the meantime, I'm rooting for them to win the Atlantic.  How about you?
     This is not about rooting. Its nothing more than a persons opinion as to the
    best course of action regarding future moves by the Celtics. I've been a very loyal Celtic fan since 1950 (age 18) so you can rest assured that I root for the Celts. Perhaps the only difference between us on this subject is the course of action we believe should be taken over the next few days.We have both stated our opinions. To each his own.
    Seems

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]I'm not sure what your point is...?   ......not being a pain, but does it matter if they do win the division title..?  ....they still have no shot at a championship do they...? ...and, after all, isn't that why they play the games...?   ... I really don't mean to sound like a jerk...I just don't understand why this is important....I must be missing something...
    Posted by Duke4[/QUOTE]

The point is also talking hoops.  Which is why we are all here

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Could the Celtics Win the Atlantic Division??? : The point is also talking hoops.  Which is why we are all here
    Posted by snakeoil123[/QUOTE]

Thanks for adding a little logic to this thread.  Personally I want to win every game.  Losing breed losing.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

I suppose winning the Atlantic is a goal but it doesnt excite me much.

I'd like more for them to be healthy and have one great first round series.. maybe knock off or take the Heat/Bulls the distance...  So hopefully they are peaking at the right time.

Preseason my opinion was the C's make the playoffs and thats about it. Im still feeling the same but they are capable of putting one good stretch together.. Thats more my goal...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]With the latest Wilcox setback? I doubt it. I hope Greg can step up, but I fear the worst, starting today.
    Posted by basketbert[/QUOTE]

Agree with you.  The loss of Wilcox is a huge loss for the Celtics.  We already lacked enough size before the loss of Wilcox.  We don't know if he will even be back for the remainder of the season.  If Danny doesn't make any trades before the deadline for another big to help it is going to be even more difficult for the Celtics to even remain in playoff contention.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

In response to "Re: Could the Celtics Win the Atlantic Division???": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Could the Celtics Win the Atlantic Division??? :  This is not about rooting. Its nothing more than a persons opinion as to the best course of action regarding future moves by the Celtics. I've been a very loyal Celtic fan since 1950 (age 18) so you can rest assured that I root for the Celts. Perhaps the only difference between us on this subject is the course of action we believe should be taken over the next few days.We have both stated our opinions. To each his own. Seems Posted by SeemsToMe[/QUOTE] Agreed - its all everyone's opinion. But, my question was your opinion about whether or not you think they can win the Atlantic, not whether or not they should make a trade. That's why I kept saying " as currently constituted". I'm trying to stick to your view of what they'll do assuming no moves. To each his own. Not a big deal.

Sections
Shortcuts