1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hops29. Show hops29's posts

Could the Current Squad Beat 06/07 24 win Celts

2006/2007 Celtics Roster

PG: Telfair, D. West, Rondo

SG: Szerbiak, Allen Ray

SF: Pierce, Tony Allen, Gerald Green

PF: Jefferson, Gomes, Leon Powe

C:   Perk, Kandi Man, Scalabrine

This is what they had at the same point in the offseason before the last tank.  They also had Ratliff, and Kevin Pinkney but they only played 2 and 6 games respectively.  Pierce was "injured"  and only played 47 games, TA only played 33.  I forgot we had Szerbs until I looked at the roster.  He played 32 games before being dealt.

IMO 07 celts would own the current celts inside. 2013 Rondo would kill Telfair, but don't underestimate West as a defender.  07 Rondo did get playing time near the end of the year but wasnt as effective.  I see 07 Pierce as disgruntled and hobbled so its kind of  a wash between him and 100% healthy Jeff Green. 

I thought it would be interesting to compare because there is a disparity among C's fans as to how good the team will be this year.  But if you look at it there are alot of similarities to the 24 win team.  

Similarities: A star that may miss time due to injuries and is questionable maturity wise,

2 or three promising young bigs,

Middling throw away vets (Humphs=Wally)

A great defensive wing who struggles with offense,

Guys that have talent but consistantly underachieve (GG, Telfair=Lee, Bass, Bradley)

Alot of guys that dont have a position (Gomes 3/4, West 1/2, TA 2/3, GG 2/3 = Sully 4/5 Olynyk 4/5, Wallace 3/4, J.Green 3/4)

Lack of consistant shooters

I think it would actually be a pretty close game.  I say current squad wins but its not a sure thing, and it doesn't point to this team as being a playoff team. 

If Green takes the next step, and Rondo can put distractions aside to just play, AND Danny can just get one more legitimate starter (SG or C) through trade then, and only then will this team sniff the playoffs.  

Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gasthoerer. Show Gasthoerer's posts

Re: Could the Current Squad Beat 06/07 24 win Celts

Ray wasn't on this team, he at the same time as KG.

And with PP (who is better than any player we have on the current rooster), and Ray we would have been much better than the current team. Remember, with this two and KG we were the best team in the league (all the others were role players.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

That is a different Ray.

My thought is sometime there is a fine line between a good team and a bad team.  Adding a little bit over the hill KG and Ray to that 06/07 team and take away Jefferson and Szerbiak then you had a championship team.  So a quick glance at the current team, I think we are a lottery team.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to Gasthoerer's comment:

Ray wasn't on this team, he at the same time as KG.

And with PP (who is better than any player we have on the current rooster), and PP we would have been much better than the current team. Remember, with this two and KG we were the best team in the league (all the others were role players.

Allen Ray is a different person than Ray Allen.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gasthoerer. Show Gasthoerer's posts

Sorry, mixed that Ray Allen, Allen Ray thing.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris33. Show chris33's posts

The current squad has a better coach.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Archer1. Show Archer1's posts

With a healthy Rondo...this current team wins. As the team currently stands (no Rondo or Sully), the 06/07 team wins 

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gasthoerer. Show Gasthoerer's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:

It's Allan Ray, not Allen Ray!

Well, äh, ...

Sections
Shortcuts