C's are 5-0 since trades

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jump-ball-overtime. Show Jump-ball-overtime's posts

Re: C's are 5-0 since trades

Duke,

Tell that to the Spurs. I am sure that they are more concerned than you are.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PACelt. Show PACelt's posts

Let's compare apples to apples during the recent stretch.  Perk is out.  Nate is also out.  Marquis is out.  BBD is out. West is out.  No Shaq or JON.  We have Luke and Semih instead of Krstic, Green, Pavlovic, and Murphy(soon to add Arroyo).  How many of those games do we win?  I don't know, but which would you rather take your chances with? 

Now let's look at the next five games, our lineup is still the same.  Wafer backs up PP and RA.  Bradley backing up Rondo.  Harangody backs up KG and Semih.  How do you like our chances now?

We would have an eight man team for how long?  Would we still have the best record in the east?

Folks, this is the reality of where we would be.  Danny has made the right moves for the team.  He has created the depth necessary to ride out the injuries and make a deep run in the playoffs.  This team may be as close in depth to the '86 team as any I have seen.

So enjoy the wins.

PA

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from caesarthecat. Show caesarthecat's posts

http://espn.go.com/nba/teams
    celts' depth is without comparison in the league.... but this is tricky as you play only 5-on-5 on the floor and if even one team has only about 5 players who're young enough to sustain the whole game....
    this team is the lakers I believe
    so, i think the celts must use their unbelievable depth NOW, to rest the starters
    becasue in postseason they're those who'll have to play
    as for the championship it'll be again the lakers... and I like it
    bynum : shaq + jermaine
    i don't think krstic is enough strong phisically but i don't know !

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHEisCHE. Show CHEisCHE's posts

"This team may be as close in depth to the '86 team as any I have seen."

!986
    Bird-Mchale-Parish-Jonhson-Ainge
    Wedman-Walton-Sichting-Thirdkil-Vincent-Williams-Carlisle-Kite

Current:
    Pierce-Allen-Garnett-Rondo-Krstic
    Davis-Shaq-JO-Green-Murphy-Shasha-Arroyo-Wafer-Johnson

On paper it's close but the 86 knows the system while 2011 still in the training wheels & there is not much time left.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

In Response to Re: C's are 5-0 since trades:
    In Response to Re: C's are 5-0 since trades : Exactly! But why are they fresh? They're fresh because we have ADEQUATE backups that can hold or extend a lead. We didn't have that before the trade...oh yeah on paper we did.
    Posted by BiasLewis

Both Pierce and RA have been playing more minutes than their season average every night since the trade.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

In Response to Re: C's are 5-0 since trades : This is crap; the Celtics have played short handed and you can see with each passing game the new guys are actually getting acclimated.  Kristic has been a revelation and Green is coming along.  Baby and D-West are out and they Celtic are still winning.  The Celts have already beat QUALITY teams and they are on pace to win 60 plus.  You can clearly see that Green, Murphy, and Sasha did not know where to go and despite the fact that Rondo had 8 turnovers the other night things are geting better. 
    Posted by ShepherdCall

You are correct. It's crap!

Fans got angry when the Celts lost to bad teams like the Wizards and the Bobcats. Now that the Celts are beating teams they are supposed to beat it means nothing. Really? 

The mere fact that the Celts are not losing to bad teams anymore is an indication that the Celts have improved. Also, since the trade the Celts don't go through scoring droughts anymore.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jhol. Show jhol's posts

Celts 5-0 against bad teams is unheard of before the trade. Remember it was not so long ago that the Celts lost to the likes of the Wizards, Bobcats, Rockets, and Raptors. The fact that the Celts are not losing to bad teams anymore is a good sign. 
    Posted by P34

Thank you -- I was waiting for somebody to make this point. No need to duplicate , only acknowledge!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from framdude. Show framdude's posts

In Response to Re: C's are 5-0 since trades : Wow! The Lakers lost to the Clips, Jazz, Suns, and Bucks this season. Good job!
    Posted by P34

ouch. actually the Bucks went into the Staples center and pounded Lakers rear end if i remember correctly.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

"If Pierce played for the Pistons he would be 6th man."

Is Pierce a true #1?

posted at 5/17/2007 8:32 PM EDT
    www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=3567a792c5f5109ca211f62f3c1b2406&plckUserId=3567a792c5f5109ca211f62f3c1b2406">
    First: 2/12/2006
    Last: 3/8/2011
    If Pierce played for the Pistons he would be 6th man.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from proftom. Show proftom's posts

The "Big 4 Factor," my thinking is Green and Krstic look great, for that matter Shaq looked great when he was starting with the big four.  My sense is these players are the prfect type of players to play along side Paul, Ray, Kevin and Rondo  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

5-1 actually... but still solid. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

I think we are hands down the most talented squad 1-12. DA has assembled quite the lineup. In a way these injuries have helped Murphy,Green and Krstic by way of extra PT. Green, with being used at 3 positions is going to be huge for us,Murphy will have his role when his rust wears off and Krstic is benefiting from our system in a way he never could the way OKCs is set up. I think the arrival of Arroyo will be big for us down the stretch giving us so mnay different looks we can give to a team. If West or either of Oneals can give us 20 minutes a game in the playoffs,I can't see anyone beating us in a 7 game series. Even if the Oneals can't come back I still like our chances.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Bias, on balance I like these trades, but your post really bothered me anyway. Ainge himself said after these trades that they were counting on Shaq. That's a big risk, a calculated risk but a big one. 

"Any other questions?" Yes. Can we beat some good teams before we hand out rings? 

And how will we do in the playoffs against the teams that have dominant big men? (Admittedly there are not many of them - Orlando and Lakes seem the most likely). 

This post is premature, we won't know if this trade was a good one until we know if we won the championship. If we don't win the championship this season, there will always be questions about this trade - even if it sets us up a little better for the future. 

The only loophole is if Perk doesn't play the rest of the year due to injury - then the trade will be perceived as brilliant even if we don't win it all. 

So yes, do I like what I see so far? Absolutely. Does the Celts new lineup still have things to prove? Yes.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from sinus007. Show sinus007's posts

Hi,
    5 games is a ridiculously small sample size. Also, Celtics didn't have the 2 key bench players: DW and BBD. So, let's see what we'll get by playoffs.
    As for the trade, I think Celtics got the better deal. Krstic is no match to Perk on defensive end. But would you, in your wildest dream, see Perk getting all those passes from RR, PP and KG? And JG is better than MD and/or VW, and he's improving with each game.

AK

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ojmega. Show ojmega's posts

The Orlando Magic were thinking of a rematch with Lakers after they lost to them in 2009. So they made changes in the offseason and built a team designed to beat the Lakers. Then they met the Celts in the east finals in 2010. And the rest, as they say, is history.  The lesson here is to not build a team specifically designed to beat one single team. A more balanced team will have a bigger chance of winning a championship because it can handle every team it plays, not just one team. 
    Posted by P34

i surely agree with that comment

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

While the current team has some attributes that are better (and I think they're a better team), we cannot measure this team by 5 wins against "ok" teams.  We can only measure this team by how it does in the playoffs against big teams.  We better play tough against strong inside players.  Look at how San Antonio did when it forgot that "playing pretty" with jumpers and 3 pointers isn't always going to win against bigger stronger teams.  So, this all comes down to whether or not Shaq and JON come back strong enough to battle the Duncans, Bynums, Chandlers, Noahs, and Howards of the world.  

That's when we'll know if the gamble worked, not after 5 relatively easy games.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

In Response to C's are 5-0 since trades : Danny Ainge raped the thunder with that trade. PERIOD enough said. BRILLIANT
    Posted by ojmega

RIGHT up there with mchale/parish moves by red! perk will be the joe barry carroll of this deal!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

Dont get me wrong, I do like the addition of Green and Kristic, but it would have been better that we never gave up Semih!
    Posted by CelticFanLA

semih? seriously, u cant be serious! chris johnson at worse, is just as good as semih! vrings consistent enrgy semih could not do!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BoylestonBB. Show BoylestonBB's posts

"This team may be as close in depth to the '86 team as any I have seen." !986 Bird-Mchale-Parish-Jonhson-Ainge Wedman-Walton-Sichting-Thirdkil-Vincent-Williams-Carlisle-Kite Current: Pierce-Allen-Garnett-Rondo-Krstic Davis-Shaq-JO-Green-Murphy-Shasha-Arroyo-Wafer-Johnson On paper it's close but the 86 knows the system while 2011 still in the training wheels & there is not much time left.
    Posted by CHEisCHE

If you did not see the 86 team you missed something.  That said I agree this team is getting close.  Still the 86 team has a ring, this one hopefully shall join them.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

In Response to Re: C's are 5-0 since trades : If you did not see the 86 team you missed something.  That said I agree this team is getting close.  Still the 86 team has a ring, this one hopefully shall join them.
    Posted by BoylestonBB

This is the way the Heat talked and why so many people hate them......talk of greatness before you deliver.  Let's win the Championship first  and THEN we can talk about whether this team compares to '86 or any other team.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

5 games against weaker teams (including two of those teams almost coming back to beat us) and they're now a great team????   Wow, some people have REALLY lost perspective.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

5 games against weaker teams (including two of those teams almost coming back to beat us) and they're now a great team????   Wow, some people have REALLY lost perspective.
    Posted by Celtsfan4life

I agree Cfan.  One poster called us a offensive juggernaut.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jump-ball-overtime. Show Jump-ball-overtime's posts

I thought the goal was to win the championship, not winning against poor teams, or winning  more regular season games. 

Certainly great teams lose to poor teams because they are over confident and don't take them seriously. Sometimes great teams think that they can just show up and win.

The Celtics have been a championship team based on defense first. Now they are a more balanced team with greater offensive capability. The fact remains, that until they play in the finals, we will not know if the experiment worked.

The Celtics needed a back up for Pierce, instead, they got a player that could replace Pierce, if necessary, and a light weight center that can be pushed around by true big men. The cost, however, was significant.

The Lakers absolutely destroyed the Spurs at home, and they have their focus again. Except for early regular season focus, this year's Lakers are healthier than last year, and every bit as dangerous. Why, because of the size of the Laker front line. The big question is, how will we match up now? Who will guard Bynum and box him off the boards while KG is guarding Gasol?

Anything but a championship will make this trade a disappointment. It was a bold move by Danny and Doc. Both have balls of solid stainless steel. I hope they were right.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Driscoll92587. Show Driscoll92587's posts

This 5-0 run was a good sign, but the C's haven't faced a solid team yet.  Our wins were against:

Clippers
    Utah
    Pheonix
    GS
    Milwaukee

This isn't exactly the hardest stretch of the season.  Still, it's nice to see them gel enough to string this streak together without Shaq, JON, Davis, and West.  Once they get healthy, this team may just be the deepest team the C's have had in a long time.  It should only go uphill from here, since Green will get more comfortable, Arroyo will be a solid backup PG, Shaq will come back healthy, West will be back to back up Ray, Krystic will be able to get time to adjust to the second unit, and Murphy can maybe get some sort of offensive niche to help out.

Sections
Shortcuts