C's are 5-0 since trades

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

Re: C's are 5-0 since trades

In Response to Re: C's are 5-0 since trades:
    I thought the goal was to win the championship, not winning against poor teams, or winning  more regular season games.  Certainly great teams lose to poor teams because they are over confident and don't take them seriously. Sometimes great teams think that they can just show up and win. The Celtics have been a championship team based on defense first. Now they are a more balanced team with greater offensive capability. The fact remains, that until they play in the finals, we will not know if the experiment worked. The Celtics needed a back up for Pierce, instead, they got a player that could replace Pierce, if necessary, and a light weight center that can be pushed around by true big men. The cost, however, was significant. The Lakers absolutely destroyed the Spurs at home, and they have their focus again. Except for early regular season focus, this year's Lakers are healthier than last year, and every bit as dangerous. Why, because of the size of the Laker front line. The big question is, how will we match up now? Who will guard Bynum and box him off the boards while KG is guarding Gasol? Anything but a championship will make this trade a disappointment. It was a bold move by Danny and Doc. Both have balls of solid stainless steel. I hope they were right.  
    Posted by Jump-ball-overtime

The goal is to win a championship.  If you don't beat the teams that you are suppose to beat the odds are you won't win a championship.  Winning breeds confidence.  Blowouts or close games, doesn't matter. We will worry about the Bynums when we face them, not before the playoffs start. 

nice read on subject. http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nba/columns/story?columnist=may_peter&id=6176471

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In Response to Re: C's are 5-0 since trades : The goal is to win a championship.  If you don't beat the teams that you are suppose to beat the odds are you won't win a championship.  Winning breeds confidence.  Blowouts or close games, doesn't matter. We will worry about the Bynums when we face them, not before the playoffs start.  nice read on subject. http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nba/columns/story?columnist=may_peter&id=6176471
    Posted by OneOnOne

great article thanks

although May failing to put Pierce in either of his '12-'13 lineup musings is a bizarre slip

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

I thought the goal was to win the championship, not winning against poor teams, or winning  more regular season games.  Certainly great teams lose to poor teams because they are over confident and don't take them seriously. Sometimes great teams think that they can just show up and win. The Celtics have been a championship team based on defense first. Now they are a more balanced team with greater offensive capability. The fact remains, that until they play in the finals, we will not know if the experiment worked. The Celtics needed a back up for Pierce, instead, they got a player that could replace Pierce, if necessary, and a light weight center that can be pushed around by true big men. The cost, however, was significant. The Lakers absolutely destroyed the Spurs at home, and they have their focus again. Except for early regular season focus, this year's Lakers are healthier than last year, and every bit as dangerous. Why, because of the size of the Laker front line. The big question is, how will we match up now? Who will guard Bynum and box him off the boards while KG is guarding Gasol? Anything but a championship will make this trade a disappointment. It was a bold move by Danny and Doc. Both have balls of solid stainless steel. I hope they were right.  

You want a championship? The first step to doing that is getting home court advantage. And in order for the Celts to do that is not to lose to bad teams.

The mere fact that the Celts have improved in that "losing to bad teams" department is a good sign. It's a sign that the Celts will most likely end up the #1 seed in the east. Last year the Celts lost to bad teams and it cost them home court advantage in the Finals. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

In Response to Re: C's are 5-0 since trades : great article thanks although May failing to put Pierce in either of his '12-'13 lineup musings is a bizarre slip
    Posted by rameakap

He pointed out all the guys that would play in the playoffs vs who we got rid of. Perkins was it, and he is hurt. Who knows about him for the year.  With all said and done we are better now than before all the transactions.  The big thing is keeping the chemistry.  I am a believer that is huge for success.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In Response to Re: C's are 5-0 since trades : He pointed out all the guys that would play in the playoffs vs who we got rid of. Perkins was it, and he is hurt. Who knows about him for the year.  With all said and done we are better now than before all the transactions.  The big thing is keeping the chemistry.  I am a believer that is huge for success.
    Posted by OneOnOne

Yes, ultimately, the way the swaps worked out w/ the buyouts and Perk still hurt... we came out big

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PACelt. Show PACelt's posts

Since I'm the one that compared them to the "86 team.  I'll chime in again.  I compared their depth to that team.  I made no prediction of their success.  That remains to be seen.

On Perk vs. Krstic:  Kristic has scored more, rebounded comparably, turned the ball over less, and defends the high pick and roll better.  Yes, I said it: "Krstic defends the pick and roll BETTER."

But you all miss the point.  Although we beat 5 mediocre teams, 4 on the road, we would have done far worse and continue to be bad if we had not made the trade.

No trades and the current lineup looks like this:

Semih, KG, PP, RA, RR with Bradley, Harangody, Wafer(?) on the bench.

Injured:  Shaq, Perk, JON, BBD, West, Nate, Marquis

That's a 15 man roster.  You couldn't even sign Chris Johnson to a 10 day.

How many of those games would this team have won?  How many of the next 5 or 10 would they win?

Would we be battling the Heat to see who can lose their way to 3rd or 4th in the east?

PA

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jump-ball-overtime. Show Jump-ball-overtime's posts

I hope you guys are right. We will see in June.

My concern is that the Celtics could probably have won best record in the east without the trade. They had the best record before the trade, and several players will be coming back from injury shortly, making Doc's job easier. The Celics could have found a less impressive back up for Paul that would be adequate, and still retained Perk, a man that can defend Bynum.

In making the move, the Celtics are much better offensively, but leave a big question mark against the Lakers.

Time will tell. 

Doc and Danny brought us the big three, so they may be right. I hope they are right.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

Some of you are never happy. This team is MUCH MUCH better than the team that took the floor a month ago. No Shaq, no West and they are getting much more production from the bench. It doesn't take long to see how much better the team is, whether it's 5 games or 25 games, they are fresher and more balanced. It's not like Krstic and Green didn't come from a good defensive team, they know how to play defense.

This team is a BETTER playoff built team than a team with Semih, Luke, Nate and Perk. From 1-14 all have good playoff experience...all except CJ. So I'm sure how some can't see how Ainge made the team stronger and younger just by adding a few pieces.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PACelt. Show PACelt's posts

I hope you guys are right. We will see in June. My concern is that the Celtics could probably have won best record in the east without the trade. They had the best record before the trade, and several players will be coming back from injury shortly, making Doc's job easier. The Celics could have found a less impressive back up for Paul that would be adequate, and still retained Perk, a man that can defend Bynum. In making the move, the Celtics are much better offensively, but leave a big question mark against the Lakers. Time will tell.  Doc and Danny brought us the big three, so they may be right. I hope they are right.

Really?  Won the east with seven healthy players - three of whom were rookies?  Semih, KG, PP, RA, RR and Harangody and Bradley off the bench.

No Perk.  No Nate.  No Shaq.  No JON.  No Marquis.  No BBD.  No Wafer.  No West.

No Johnson either, unless you waived one of the injured above.

We lost to Denver because we were understaffed.  That was our last loss.  We won 4 on the road since then.  How many would we have lost with seven players?  Another 3?  That ties us with Chicago.  How many losses going forward?

This team would have collapsed!!!

PA

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from stiorevo. Show stiorevo's posts

I was the one of the first to say that Ainge was an idiot for making the trade.  So far I have been wrong, but we are playing easy teams so until we play and beat several major teams then I will feel more confident.  I am still concerned about the rebounding against SA and LA.  Other than that, I like what I see so far.

Go C's!!!

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jump-ball-overtime. Show Jump-ball-overtime's posts

PA,

I think that you over state the case.

As I have said, we needed a back up for Pierce not a replacement. In addition, not only will people be coming back from injury soon, but the Celtics have been playing a weak schedule lately.

The goal is to win the finals, anything less, and this trade will be seen as a failure.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PACelt. Show PACelt's posts

Jump,

Fortunately that replacement for PP can also fill in for BBD.  You cannot discount the value of homecourt.  The year that we won, we didn't win a game on the road until the Conference finals.  Last year we won on the road until the finals when we needed to win one more road game.  We lost to a lot of bad teams last year.  If we only had 7 active players we would be losing to both good and bad teams right now.

Do you really want to play 4 games in Chicago?

I don't.

PA

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

you don't measure the trade by reg season performance. with or without perk the celtics would make the playoffs. the question is what they are able to do in the playoffs when all teams they will be playing are good and rebound better than they do.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Qdaddy. Show Qdaddy's posts

5-1...and a loss to one of those "bad" teams.

Good luck with fat Shaq. His best days are way behind him.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

5-1...and a loss to one of those "bad" teams. Good luck with fat Shaq. His best days are way behind him.
    Posted by Qdaddy

You just posted here before the Lakers take on the Heat tomorrow. If the Lakers lose tomorrow you know why, right?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from victorlee1234. Show victorlee1234's posts

5-1...and a loss to one of those "bad" teams. Good luck with fat Shaq. His best days are way behind him.
    Posted by Qdaddy

Shaq's gonna limp to the floor ala Willis Reed and save the Celtics.  Trust me, I'm a doctor.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

In Response to Re: C's are 5-0 since trades : Shaq's gonna limp to the floor ala Willis Reed and save the Celtics.  Trust me, I'm a doctor.
    Posted by victorlee1234

You're a doctor? A quack doctor?

Sections
Shortcuts