Cs make draft promise to a PG?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from gman101019. Show gman101019's posts

Cs make draft promise to a PG?

Dennis Schroeder
    Boston Celtics

HT: 6-2
    WT: 165
    POS: PG

Analysis: With Rajon Rondo's future up in the air, could the Celtics take the guy who many scouts compare to a young Rondo? Both are quick, long and have huge hands. Both play a frantic style of basketball and both have swagger. The rumors flying around Chicago were that Schroeder had a promise from a team. The Celtics seem like just the sort of team that would try to lock him down.

I hope ford is wrong about this. I dont see how its possible da doesnt draft a center. Cleary a position of need and this draft has many options (dieng, plumlee, adams,gobert)

We are all set at pg with rondo, we dont need to waste our highest pick in years on a backup pg whos gonna see 10 minutes a game, and we really dont need another guard who cant shoot, we have plenty of those (bradly, lee, crawford. twill). Plus i think we found a backup point in twill already.

We need a long, strong, athletic big. I for one like adams and dieng.  Both are very strong rebounders and defenders. With good size and strength. Not gonna give u much on the offensive but we r gonna be in desperate need of a big especially once kg is gone. The thought of which is horrifying when you consider our backups (melo,wilcox, and randolph).

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

Re: Cs make draft promise to a PG?

when you're rebuilding like we are, i think you just have to take the best player available.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

Wow. this is taking speculation to a different level.  

How can a player be "compared to Rondo" without mentioning the jump shot, 3 point accuracy  or fould shooting percentge ?  and your analysis is just wrong.  We don't have a SG.  Brandley has not proven that he can score.  Terry is inconsistent and another year closer to 40 and Lee has been a major disappointment.  We will be drafting a guard. Count on it.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from James37. Show James37's posts

In response to Eldunker's comment:

How can a player be "compared to Rondo" without mentioning the jump shot, 3 point accuracy  or fould shooting percentge ?  and your analysis is just wrong.  We don't have a SG.  Brandley has not proven that he can score.  Terry is inconsistent and another year closer to 40 and Lee has been a major disappointment.  We will be drafting a guard. Count on it.  

I agree. The guard postion is what we need to address..

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kdp59. Show kdp59's posts

I just did a quick Mock since the Lottery is set now and here is how it came out:

Pick Team Player Hgt Wgt PS School

1 Clev Nerlens Noel 6-11 206 PF Kentucky

2 Orl Ben McLemore 6-5 190 SG Kansas

3 Wash Otto Porter 6-9 200 SF Georgetown

4 Char Anthony Bennett 6-7 240 PF UNLV

5 Phoe Victor Oladipo 6-4 213 SG Indiana

6 NO Trey Burke 6-1 190 PG Michigan

7 Sac Alex Len 7-1 255 C Maryland

8 Det CJ McCollum 6-3 197 SG Lehigh

9 Minn Cody Zeller 7-0 230 PF Indiana

10 Port Kentavious Caldwell-Pope 6-6 205 SG Georgia

11 Phil Kelly Olynyk 7-0 234 PF Gonzaga

12 Okl Steven Adams 7-0 255 C Pittsburgh

13 Dal Dennis Schroeder 6-2 168 PG Germany

14 Utah Michael Carter-Williams 6-6 185 PG Syracuse

15 Mil Shabazz Muhammad 6-6 225 SF UCLA

16 Bos Mason Plumlee 6-11 238 PF Duke

17 Atl Rudy Gobert 7-2 238 C France

18 Atl Dario Saric 6-10 225 SF Croatia

19 Clev Sergey Karasey 6-7 197 SG Russia

20 Chic Gorgui Dieng 6-11 230 C Louisville

21 Utah Lucas Nogueira 7-0 220 C Brazil

22 Brk Tony Michell 6-9 236 PF N. Texas

23 Ind Shane Larkin 5-11 171 PG Miami

24 NY Tim Hardaway Jr 6-6 200 SG Michigan

25 LAC Allen Crabbe 6-6 197 SG California

26 Minn Giannis Adetokooubo 6-9 205 SF Greece

27 Den Tony Snell 6-7 198 SG N. Mexico

28 SA Lorenzo Brown 6-5 189 PG NC St

29 Okl Glenn Rice Jr 6-6 211 SF D-League

30 Phoe Jeff Withey 7-0 222 C Kansas

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from gman101019. Show gman101019's posts

We dont have a sg? Really? Its actually our deepest position.(bradley,lee,crawford,terry) and i dont see any sg who we could get at 16 who is gonna be an improvement over what we already have.

At pg we have rondo who plays big minutes.  So your gonna use your highest pick in the last 6 years at a position that your best player plays (pg) and at sg where you already have too many bodies? Makes no sense.  We are not drafting a guard count on it.

We need a center and this draft is pretty deep at the center position too.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

first of all, we don't have a shooting guard who deserves to be a starter. they're all backups. so we do need to address the position. and i still say we take the best player available. we are in full-on rebuild mode.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from gman101019. Show gman101019's posts

Deserve? All these guys (bradley, lee, terry,crawford) have been starters at one point in their careers. We have no cap room just this draft pick and u want to use the pick to add to a position where we already have too many players? And who do you suggest we take at 16 thats gonna be better than what we have? Bradley can start (just for all nba defense alone). Lee has been a starter in orlando and houston.

Just think if kg is no longer with us next year r u ready to start melo? randolph? wilcox?  That is a very scary thought.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

a guard that can shoot would help a lot,  especially a pt guard.  Off guard as well.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Though the projection of Plumlee to the C's @ 16 is an OK pick I'd rather see Zeller or Dieng wind up in Green. Schroeder might be the next Rondo but we already have the original why buy a copy,unless you have a whopper trade in place!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

Rondo to Utah for Millsap........sign and trade!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fields4. Show Fields4's posts

In response to Red-16Russ-11's comment:

For Millsap?! You think that Millsap is better than Rondo?!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from edcap99. Show edcap99's posts

In response to kaktug's comment:

first of all, we don't have a shooting guard who deserves to be a starter. they're all backups. so we do need to address the position. and i still say we take the best player available. we are in full-on rebuild mode.

Getting the best player available is more clear cut when you're drafting high. When your pick is a low one, the supposed "best player" is not that easy to determine. Unless the Celtics can trade up to a higher spot, preferably in the top ten, they should draft for need. Danny Ainge has supposedly been drafting the best available player for the past years and yet he has missed out on a number of good players and picked lemons instead. And, unless Celtics management decides to buy out Paul Pierce and KG retires or is traded, it can't really be said that the team is in full-on rebuild mode.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Richard1965. Show Richard1965's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:

Though the projection of Plumlee to the C's @ 16 is an OK pick I'd rather see Zeller or Dieng wind up in Green. Schroeder might be the next Rondo but we already have the original why buy a copy,unless you have a whopper trade in place!

This kid Schroeder needs a few years to really show what he has.  RR is 27 years old coming off a major surgery, so who knows if he is ever going to be the same player he was before the injury.  I say take the best player available and Schroeder is arguably one of the best if he falls to the Celts at 16.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from GregCelts. Show GregCelts's posts

Dallas needs a PG badly and I can't see them not take the German kid if he is that good.  You know that Dirk made calls to know more about him.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

In response to gman101019's comment:

Deserve? All these guys (bradley, lee, terry,crawford) have been starters at one point in their careers. We have no cap room just this draft pick and u want to use the pick to add to a position where we already have too many players? And who do you suggest we take at 16 thats gonna be better than what we have? Bradley can start (just for all nba defense alone). Lee has been a starter in orlando and houston.

Just think if kg is no longer with us next year r u ready to start melo? randolph? wilcox?  That is a very scary thought.

based on what each of the above did in boston this year, none of them are starters. terry is over the hill. bradley i like, but he's a 6th man combo guard who can't shoot that well. lee isn't a starter and neither is crawford. we need a legit shooting guard who's bigger and can drain threes at a high percentage to open up the floor for rondo.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

In response to edcap99's comment:

Getting the best player available is more clear cut when you're drafting high. When your pick is a low one, the supposed "best player" is not that easy to determine. Unless the Celtics can trade up to a higher spot, preferably in the top ten, they should draft for need. Danny Ainge has supposedly been drafting the best available player for the past years and yet he has missed out on a number of good players and picked lemons instead. And, unless Celtics management decides to buy out Paul Pierce and KG retires or is traded, it can't really be said that the team is in full-on rebuild mode.

WHETHER PP and KG are here or not, we are still in rebuild mode. we cannot advance past the first or second round of the playoffs in the east if we're still depend on those two, who will be a yeard older, a year slower, a year frailer. and we can't add any significant players as long as their salaries are eating up as much space as they are. and how can you say we drafted the best available players last year, when we were specifically drafting for size and rebounding?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from fl+adam,. Show fl+adam,'s posts

In response to gman101019's comment:

based on what each of the above did in boston this year, none of them are starters. terry is over the hill. bradley i like, but he's a 6th man combo guard who can't shoot that well. lee isn't a starter and neither is crawford. we need a legit shooting guard who's bigger and can drain threes at a high percentage to open up the floor for rondo.

Never turn down better tlent for worse talent when you are rebuilding.  That being said, if talent is similar, draft the player of need over the player whom you don't need as much.  A trade changes everything, but if a highly regarded/ranked big is available, take him.  You need the size more than the guard, assuming Rondo is back in full strength, and no major trades occur.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

i agree we need bigs. our biggest needs are at the 5 and the 2 IMO. i'm assuming that rondo and sully come back healthy. if they don't then we have lots of needs. if they're healthy, i think we're in decent shape at the 1, 3 and 4. again, 2 and 5 are our most glaring needs. but it all depends, as you say, on what trades occur. that could all change in the blink of an eye if any trades happen.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

I'd go for a rebounder. Sully might turn out to be another Greg Ogden and never see much playing time. With KG & PP another year older, who's gonna do the rebounding if Sully gets hurt again?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

when you're rebuilding like we are, i think you just have to take the best player available.

Absolutely right. I mean, the original poster mentioned 5 different 'big men' who could fall in our range. Big men really are hit and miss. What can you expect? 5-6 big men in the 10-20 range, you got to exepct at the best you have one allstar and two eventual back-ups Centers? Probably one of these guys can reasonably help a team compete in their first 1-2 years (avg. 10-15min). 

Maybe you can make the same argument with Dennis, but I feel like there is more of a chance for him to be a valuable asset then playing the big man lottery.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

Perfect replacement for PP.....

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Are you kidding?  How can you see that as equal value.  I am shocked.  Milsap and who else?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from teejaytee70. Show teejaytee70's posts

Trade up to 9 and grab Zeller!