C's should waive/buyout JON tomorrow

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

C's should waive/buyout JON tomorrow

I'm ready to do dump JON tomorrow. Negotiate a buyout after 3/1 so no one else can put him on their playoff roster. I just don't see any need for him now that Murphy is on board. Keep Chris Johnson and let him sit, watch and learn.

There are no minutes on the frontline for JON. Shaq, KG, BBD, Murphy, Krstic, Green, CJ is good enough for this run.

I know there is a chance Shaq will not hold up but a frontline rotation of 8 players is more than enough to get through the season.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

Re: C's should waive/buyout JON tomorrow

Jermaine O'Neal is a better defensive player than Perkins, when healthy. It would be monumentally foolish to waive him out of spite. If he can give the Celtics even just 5 minutes per game, that would be better than nothing. Jermaine O'Neal is the best rebounder/shot-blocker on the roster.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

In Response to C's should waive/buyout JON tomorrow:
    I'm ready to do dump JON tomorrow. Negotiate a buyout after 3/1 so no one else can put him on their playoff roster. I just don't see any need for him now that Murphy is on board. Keep Chris Johnson and let him sit, watch and learn. There are no minutes on the frontline for JON. Shaq, KG, BBD, Murphy, Krstic, Green, CJ is good enough for this run. I know there is a chance Shaq will not hold up but a frontline rotation of 8 players is more than enough to get through the season.
    Posted by BiasLewis

I think the better option would be to not buy him out but ask him to retire after the season so that if the Celts win a championship he gets a ring and his salary for next season will be off the books. 

If the Celts buy out JO right now his salary for next season would still count against the Celtics' salary cap next season.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

In Response to Re: C's should waive/buyout JON tomorrow:
    In Response to C's should waive/buyout JON tomorrow : I think the better option would be to not buy him out but ask him to retire after the season so that if the Celts win a championship he gets a ring and his salary for next season will be off the books.  If the Celts buy out JO right now his salary for next season would still count against the Celtics' salary cap next season.
    Posted by P34

Well will it really?? Remember a new CBA is coming.

I guess my point is he hasn't even played enough to get a good look at him. Is he even in shape?? 

Asking him to retire will not go over well. He will want a buyout and may be more willing to accept it than just retiring.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

In Response to Re: C's should waive/buyout JON tomorrow : Well will it really?? Remember a new CBA is coming. I guess my point is he hasn't even played enough to get a good look at him. Is he even in shape??  Asking him to retire will not go over well. He will want a buyout and may be more willing to accept it than just retiring.
    Posted by BiasLewis

He said back in December, I think, that he's thinking about retiring after this season. I read it on the Globe. 

I think the right thing to do is to give JO a shot at a ring.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Yes, P34...he did say that.  He wants to not only retire but wants to be thought of as a Pacer, remember?

No way I'd waive JON.  If he's at all healthy, we will need him.  He's potentially the best of the center by committee bunch - at least on D and short jumpers.  Shaq is more powerful and faster as is Krstic, but JON is the best help defender and on-ball defender.   Let's keep them all and let Doc figure out who's best in each situation!  

Need all your tools to win now!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

JO is still better than Theo Ratliff or Joe Smith!

HAHAHA!!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from breaktime. Show breaktime's posts

Don't see it.  Shaq hasn't been Mr. Durable this year, Murphy and Kristec have had injury issues too.  I know most people on the board think JO is washed up, but I haven't given up on him.  Wish I knew how much stuff they cleaned out of him when he got scoped, but I haven't seen any of his MRI's posted LOL.
    JO's a good defender.  He's still got time to get back this year.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinnacle10. Show pinnacle10's posts

Keep JON.  Dumping him now does no good for anyone.  There's a chance he helps.  The only reason I'd see to get rid of him would be if he's a bad locker room or off the court presence, but I highly doubt he is.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

Don't see it.  Shaq hasn't been Mr. Durable this year, Murphy and Kristec have had injury issues too.  I know most people on the board think JO is washed up, but I haven't given up on him.  Wish I knew how much stuff they cleaned out of him when he got scoped, but I haven't seen any of his MRI's posted LOL. JO's a good defender.  He's still got time to get back this year.
    Posted by breaktime

I thought I was the only one who hasn't given up on JO this season. 

However, with the signing of Troy Murphy, JO's availability is not as crucial compared to when the Celts only had Krstic, Shaq, and JO as Centers. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-Doc-Redemption. Show Red-Doc-Redemption's posts

JON might be the basketball of a closer this post season...Bring him in in shot defensive stretches. I'll believe he's healthy when i see it though.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

murphy, brewer, JON...all fine and dandy...but i see no reason to keep chris johnson on the roster. send him back to D league and tell him to eat.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from teh-n00b. Show teh-n00b's posts

it's low-risk and potentially high reward to keep jermaine. all he's doing at the moment is taking up one roster spot, and we're not going to find better than him for the vet minimum.

getting rid of perk made it even more important for jermaine to get healthy. he's now our 2nd best defender

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moongirl. Show moongirl's posts

I just read that JON is about 3 weeks away...so i say we should see what he looks like and if he can contribute in any way.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

It would be absolutely silly to cut him this close to coming back.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Driscoll92587. Show Driscoll92587's posts

In Response to C's should waive/buyout JON tomorrow:
    I'm ready to do dump JON tomorrow. Negotiate a buyout after 3/1 so no one else can put him on their playoff roster. I just don't see any need for him now that Murphy is on board. Keep Chris Johnson and let him sit, watch and learn. There are no minutes on the frontline for JON. Shaq, KG, BBD, Murphy, Krstic, Green, CJ is good enough for this run. I know there is a chance Shaq will not hold up but a frontline rotation of 8 players is more than enough to get through the season.
    Posted by BiasLewis

I think hanging on to him would be the better move.  There's no telling if there will be an injury to one of our other big men and it's better safe than sorry, especially with the short list of helpful big men out there right now.  JON is a decent defender, and at the very least he can get thrown out there to usehis 6 fouls (i.e. like Sheed last season). 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from breaktime. Show breaktime's posts

In Response to Re: C's should waive/buyout JON tomorrow : I thought I was the only one who hasn't given up on JO this season.  However, with the signing of Troy Murphy, JO's availability is not as crucial compared to when the Celts only had Krstic, Shaq, and JO as Centers. 
    Posted by P34

That's probably true, but I'm sure Doc and Danny would prefer to see how all their new bigs fit in first.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

The guy is hurt.  Dam what is wrong with people.  He played hurt until he couldn't play anymore.  I would think if he comes back healthy he would be a huge help.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

Well I've been waiting all season to see this guy get healthy. I just don't see us getting much if anything from him this year.

Keep him IN CASE OF EMERGENCY BREAK GLASS!!

If that is the plan so be it but up until now I'm looking to be correct. Oh well!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from genaro008. Show genaro008's posts

Well I've been waiting all season to see this guy get healthy. I just don't see us getting much if anything from him this year. Keep him IN CASE OF EMERGENCY BREAK GLASS!! If that is the plan so be it but up until now I'm looking to be correct. Oh well!
    Posted by BiasLewis

Everyone who talks to Danny said that JON is looking really good but no need to rush him back. I just have to believe DA really believes he is going to play down the stretch and just saving him for the big run. If we get anything positive out of him it is a bonus at this point. I dont see anything out there better than a healthy JON so I say its only 1 spot. We can add a Brewer or Thornton and Ford and still keep JON. The only spot we would have to give up is Johnson. Sound like a win win to me.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from thebostonjam. Show thebostonjam's posts

His knee clearly needs surgery.  Its something that isn't going to heal this year.  He is sitting out in order to reduce swelling and inflammation, but the problem is still there.  I agree with waiving JON.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

We have to realize Danny is saying he thinks JON is going to be able to play at the end of the season.  He is doing it for a reason.  Whatever it is, it does not include a buy out at this point.

DA has plan in place. It started last week and you have to believe it is well thought out.

By my count at we have  Shaq, JON, Kristic, KG, and the Murphy.  Four seven footers and one 6-11 guy. That is a very big team. He is stockpiling these guys and must have a plan. DA was a visionary in 2007 and he is doing it to a lesser extent today. He deserves a shot.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

JO is not a 7-footer.

HAHAHA!!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

At worst JO can give defense and fouls in brief 4-8 mins stretches in the playoffs

At best he is better than Krstic, taller and more of a rim defender @ C than Baby... so he cuts Krstic or Murphy out of the lineup

Management and players know he will play a handful of games in April so that better keep a fire lit under Murph and Krstic, b/c if both O'Neals are healthy one of them rides the pine all spring

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

It would have been nice if PJ Brown played with Troy Murphy. That would have been a Murphy Brown frontline.

HAHAHA!!!

Sections
Shortcuts