Cs vs Spurs

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from docc. Show docc's posts

Cs vs Spurs

How come Spurs in playoffs and Cs w/ one of the worse teams in the association?   Spurs are an older team w/ Timmy and Ginobili.   Cs had KG and PP.   Spurs w/ quick pg in Tony Parker.   Cs w/ RR.   So, why are the teams in opposite poles of position?   Has to be in the front office.   Spurs didn't luck out in player aquisitions.   New what they were doing and signed players for long enough contracts to keep building.
        Spurs astutely obtain Leonard and Splitter.   Cs obtain Melo and Jeff Green.   Spurs knew Hill had limitations and sent him packing to Pacers (tho he's not the whole reason Indy struggling).   Cs sent KP who was KG's bodyguard, packing for JG who OKC knew had limitations.   Cs behind two starters.   Another senario was Cs has a chance of obtain Chalmers as a now would be in his prime off guard or a defensive center to replace KP in D Jordan.   Instead DA takes Giddens.   Cs behind 3 players.   Trading away Big Baby (maybe had too as Cs had less and less scorers) who was on the championship team.   With Red, a contributor like he woulda been a Celt for at least 8 yrs if not the whole career.
       Now, what does the Cs have?   No center.   A back-up pg who can play, but isn't a conference finals type back-up pg.   No go to guy as Jeff Green isn't even a 'Robin' type of player.   All-star game for him will be like you and I, going thru turnstyles after we get our ticket scaned.   Olynyk is a great D-League type player, but is too slow to be a significant player in the real league.
       And I will never forget the obtaining of the Vin Bakers, Lafrenz, Telfairs.   Signing Scal for 5 years, but can't keep Posey for more than 2.
       These are just reasons that I feel DA will never be able to rebuild the Cs.   These are examples that I'm not just picking things out of thin air, but these are hard fact examples.   A Globe writer estimates 5 years before Cs become relevant.   I agree, at least.   But, I don't feel Cs will ever come close to a conference championship game under the guidance of DA.   He luck out, then broke the Cs down.   Spurs are still winning away.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

Re: Cs vs Spurs

In response to docc's comment:

How come Spurs in playoffs and Cs w/ one of the worse teams in the association?   Spurs are an older team w/ Timmy and Ginobili.   Cs had KG and PP.   Spurs w/ quick pg in Tony Parker.   Cs w/ RR.   So, why are the teams in opposite poles of position?   Has to be in the front office.   Spurs didn't luck out in player aquisitions.   New what they were doing and signed players for long enough contracts to keep building.
        Spurs astutely obtain Leonard and Splitter.   Cs obtain Melo and Jeff Green.   Spurs knew Hill had limitations and sent him packing to Pacers (tho he's not the whole reason Indy struggling).   Cs sent KP who was KG's bodyguard, packing for JG who OKC knew had limitations.   Cs behind two starters.   Another senario was Cs has a chance of obtain Chalmers as a now would be in his prime off guard or a defensive center to replace KP in D Jordan.   Instead DA takes Giddens.   Cs behind 3 players.   Trading away Big Baby (maybe had too as Cs had less and less scorers) who was on the championship team.   With Red, a contributor like he woulda been a Celt for at least 8 yrs if not the whole career.
       Now, what does the Cs have?   No center.   A back-up pg who can play, but isn't a conference finals type back-up pg.   No go to guy as Jeff Green isn't even a 'Robin' type of player.   All-star game for him will be like you and I, going thru turnstyles after we get our ticket scaned.   Olynyk is a great D-League type player, but is too slow to be a significant player in the real league.
       And I will never forget the obtaining of the Vin Bakers, Lafrenz, Telfairs.   Signing Scal for 5 years, but can't keep Posey for more than 2.
       These are just reasons that I feel DA will never be able to rebuild the Cs.   These are examples that I'm not just picking things out of thin air, but these are hard fact examples.   A Globe writer estimates 5 years before Cs become relevant.   I agree, at least.   But, I don't feel Cs will ever come close to a conference championship game under the guidance of DA.   He luck out, then broke the Cs down.   Spurs are still winning away.

=====================================================================

I agree with you at least 90%. Too bad we never got Tim Duncan having the mathematical odds in the lottery but lost out and with him we might have had #s 18 &19 already. Big difference is that Duncan is more of a Center than KG and Parker is a better scorer than Rondo. KG is really too old now and PP still can contribute but is 3/4 of what he was.  I feel that we lost game 7 to Lakers in 2010 because Perk went down in game 6. Even w/o him we had a 13 pt lead but couldn't overcome 41-18 in foul shots and they got 21 just in the 4th qtr. Difference is that Bynum & Gasol dominated KG in the post whereas they wouldn't have Perk. We didn't need Perk to score, we had KG, PP & Ray Allen to do that.  And Perk was sort of like a son to KG who controlled him. So, in 2011 when these guys were 3 years younger, I'd kept Perk & with Ray Allen, KG & PP and also we could have kept Tony Allen for peanuts...he held Kobe to 6 for 24/25% in game 7. Also, for peanuts, Nate Robinson has gone on to 3 other teams and comes off the bench and give you 10pts...would rather have had him instead of Pressey & Bayless. Guess what, I'd rather have Big Baby than Wallace, Bass or Green. And, yup, I'd kept Posey too !!! Who knows, we might have had #18s & 19 and KG & PP could both retire in Green this year. Yup, this was about 90% of the team we had when we won our last championship in 6 games vs hated Lakers.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

And I will never forget the obtaining of the Vin Bakers, Lafrenz, Telfairs.

yet you're unaware that DA had nothing to do w/ bringing vin baker here.  

if you want to grouse about ainge, docc, you undermine your intent by not getting your facts straight. 

ainge led Cs will be more than fine. 

bp

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from docc. Show docc's posts

How about this fact.   Telfair for the 6th pick in the draft.   He was drafted ? 13th.   But, was the 3rd pg on the depth chart for the Blazers.   Couldn't play defense.   Was a shoot first pg...WHO COULDN'T SHOOT!   If you're a talent evaluator, then you should know those things.   Cs are worth ? 700mil and greatest basketball sports franchise of all time.   Shouldn't have such ineptitude, (this fouth worse NBA team while Spurs best) incompetence.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

I love the fact that Ainge drafted well enough to put the big 3 together in the 1st place. Ths nks to him and Doc 2007-2013 was a dream come true as a Celtics fan.

But I do believe we could have had another title run if a few different choices were made.

#1- Keeping Posey ( he was our Robert Horry)

#2- Drafting DeAndre Jordan ( especially since I heralded him all over this website leading up to the draft. Nbadraft.net was likening him to Dwight Howard!)

Trading Perk for Jeff Green would not have hurt us if we made that choice. Perk was the only center under contract for that draft. Mind-boggling! Giddens? To replace Posey? Nice try.

#3- Doing right by Leon Powe. GOD LOVES LEON POWE. And we didnt properly reward him for the role he played in winning us a championship. When it was time to pay him we made him an offer he HAD to refuse. Next thing you know karma hits us with injuries to derail our championship hopes.

#4- Dangling Ray Allen every year. Do we see the Spurs doing that to Ginobili and Parker? No! For good reason! Thats why a guy like Danny Green stays for less money and Ray Allen LEAVES for less money!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from docc. Show docc's posts

Da .... Good post!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

Before KG blew out his knee in meaningless middle of the season games I begged on this website for them to give the big 3 some games off because they were playing like crap.

Being familiar with their work ethic I knew it could only mean they were worn out. That didnt happen. KG proceeds to overwork his ligaments and they give way.

To me it was a no-brainer because of their ages. After KG ruins his knee the following seasons are better managed for him.

Too bad we didnt take a conservative approach from the jump in 2008. The title was won. Tremendous hard fought season. Guys are middle-aged. Why are we playing them so hard in the dead of winter? Especially since they are losing anyway?

Didnt make sense to me. You dont have to sit them all in the same game! I understand fans on the road are paying to see them. The risk wasnt worth the reward and sadly, I was right.

I'm watching the game where KG got hurt and I said "I knew it!"

I knew KG and his pride was partly to blame, but thats what leadership is for, making sure employees do whats best for the company.

I truly feel that KG's knee injury was a coach/GM fail. Lack of vu sion and seeing the BIG picture.

Posey was part of the big picture. Powe was part of the big picture. DeAndre Jordan was part of the big picture.

Ainge and crew are not as good as the Spurs, but they are not far behind. They just have  to look a little harder at the BIG picture imo.

I used to be able to search this website to prove everything I am saying about my former posts. It SUCKS that I cant!!!!

I dont think there is anyone but slippery sam that could verify what I am saying about my posts.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from docc. Show docc's posts

#What do you mean 'not far behind'?   Spurs are 1st in reg season.   Cs are 27th!   I  call that far behind.   So the Cs have draft picks?   So do the Kings every yr.   And the Bucks.   We'll see what DA does.   May 20th is one week.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

Docc I meant organizationally. They are a tad better in treating their players and finding diamonds in the rough.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from teejaytee70. Show teejaytee70's posts

The Spurs have lived off of 3 drafts where they hit absolute grand slam homeruns.  It's no mystery.  The Spurs' big three have been together since early mid twenties.  The Celtics' big three were assembled in their early thirties.  That's why the Spurs have had  a longer run.  Tim Duncan is an all time great and that still underrates him.  Parker is also a sure thing hall-of-famer.  The Spurs big three were better than the Celtics big three.  I would take Tim Duncan over KG.  I would take Parker over Pierce.  As an individual player, Allen is better than Ginobli, but as a team player, I think that's a wash with maybe an edge to Ginobli.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from teejaytee70. Show teejaytee70's posts

I'm really sick of hearing how great the Spurs are.  They've lived off of 3 drafts.  Period.  End of story.  When you have 2 sure fire hall of famers, it's easy to surround them with role players.  They make everyone look better than they are.  I'm not that impressed with their draft history.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

They didnt lose any of their big 3 to constant trade rumors. They did something right there.

And I take Garnett over Duncan. Love his enthusiasm!!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from teejaytee70. Show teejaytee70's posts

In response to DaCeltics' comment:

They didnt lose any of their big 3 to constant trade rumors. They did something right there.

And I take Garnett over Duncan. Love his enthusiasm!!!

I'll take the big guy who plays down low - that wonderful near extinct animal called the post player....and Ray Allen leaving or Ray Allen staying didn't or wouldn't make a difference.  The Celtics championship window had closed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

the answers to this question are simple

1) danny mismanaged the cap by overpaying KG and pierce- neither should have made 11m and 15m respectively when they did. 

2) danny and doc mismanaged rondo's development- tony parker can take over a game as well as set the table.  rondo should have reached that stage years ago and stayed there instead of fading more and more into the background on offense as time went on and NOT pushing the tempo as years went on

3) danny screwed up signing the supporting cast, perhaps partly because of #1.  and then the good pieces that we got were squandered like nate robinson given away to OKC who did not want him- that was dumb.  tony allen allowed to walk over pocket lint worth of NBA money.  dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb.  brandon bass was not the solution.  jeff green was a stupid choice.  we should have let perkins walk or NOT signed green long duckets before he ever bounced a ball after his surgery.  green has no heart for the game and i'm not trying to be funny- he's here today gone tomorrow- entirely intellectually lazy and non-committed to any attempt at greatness.  if he gets hot one night he'll go with it and next night he's just as likely to mail it in with 6 points

4) finally and most blaringly obvious- popovich took a crap with more coaching talent in it than doc will ever have.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

In response to DaCeltics' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Docc I meant organizationally. They are a tad better in treating their players and finding diamonds in the rough.

[/QUOTE]

blair, green, leonard, diaw, brazilian stiff who filled 5 minutes, splitter, neal, george hill, bonner, turning stephen jackson into something useful while they had him

yep, much better organizationally, especially with using international players...........  ginobli with 57th pick overall..............

spurs org plays chess and celts play coloring book

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from teejaytee70. Show teejaytee70's posts

In response to Fiercy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

1. Celts would've had Banner 18 if KG stepped up in Game 7 of the 2010 Finals.

When you get outrebounded 18-3 by someone who Celtic fans consider to be soft, that's not rising to the occasion.

2. Letting Posey go was a decision by the owners, not Danny Ainge.

3. Not picking DeAndre Jordan was a mistake by Danny.

4. Not doing right by Leon Powe?

Seriously?

5. Dangling Ray Allen and not dangling Ginobili are not the same animal.

Ray didn't want to come off the bench for the Celts.

Ginobili had no problem coming off the bench.

And Ginobili is cheaper.

[/QUOTE]

+1

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

one of my points was to simply HAVE a ginobli in the first place.....  using the 57th pick in a draft.......  the international waters are like greek to danny.  he can't get or keep anything really good.  dino radja was the high water mark for the C's- a chain smoking lazybones and that was long before danny, i know that.

doing right by leon powe is low on the list of screwups.  NOT doing right by CLIFFORD RAY was an unprovoked act of stupidity and we never got a big man coach after that and our big men suffered.

you can blame KG for 2010 game 7 but at that point in his career he was nearing 1,000 games and very likely GASSED and there's nothing you can do to get un-gassed when you hit that wall at his age.  assembling the proper supporting cast and then MANAGING MINUTES of your stars is in fact very important.  danny and doc did not do much of a good job in that respect IMHO

Sections
Shortcuts