Cue The Rondo Hate....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from gtown07. Show gtown07's posts

Re: Cue The Rondo Hate....

In Response to Re: Cue The Rondo Hate....:
    In Response to Re: Cue The Rondo Hate.... : suns fans wish nash could defend bucks fans wish jennings shot above 40% hornets fans wish paul wasn't injury prone jazz fans wish dwill hadn't stabbed sloan in the back chicago fans wish rose was jordan we make do with the pg we've got, and he's pretty damn good
    Posted by teh-n00b

Excellent

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

In Response to Re: Cue The Rondo Hate.... : Excellent
    Posted by gtown07

Thats true, everyone wishes the players on their teams could do this or that better. Skills are one thing, effort another.

When a player isnt mentally into a game or doesnt provide the effort in the game, thats much worse than just playing poorly.

Especially when hes proclaimed himself the best PG in the NBA and his coach referrs to the Celtics as Rondos team.  Rondo has always been a head case since college, maybe even prior.  Admittedly stubborn and a big ego.

When he decides not to work on the court, not fight through picks, not switch when hes picked off... to stand in the corner on defense while his opponent dominates the game, drives freely in the lane...  well, what do you think is going through his teammates head? What are the new players on the team thinking about this?

Since Doc doesnt yank him out,ego too fragile. Its apparent Rondo has special privileges on the team. Do you think this breeds resentment or not?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Many good points, Karllost.  Only one I disagree with is that I don't think Rondo creates resentment and I don't think he has special privileges.  He's in the game a lot because he's our best option.  We all knew Nate was a poor substitute at PG.  Bradley is even worse.  So, you can't leave Rondo out too much if you want to win.  West is hurt and that's life.  

Resentment?   I think this team is really a close knit bunch.  I don't think any one of them resents the other.  They probably work each other in practice, but they don't resent each other as noticed by how they all felt when Perk left (and he was the MOST mistake prone of all of them).

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from walk2run. Show walk2run's posts

I don't think anybody is calling for his head...we just hold him to a higher standard.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

the resentment for rondo is cultivated and nourished here on this forum, not in the celtics locker room.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Many good points, Karllost.  Only one I disagree with is that I don't think Rondo creates resentment and I don't think he has special privileges.  He's in the game a lot because he's our best option.  We all knew Nate was a poor substitute at PG.  Bradley is even worse.  So, you can't leave Rondo out too much if you want to win.  West is hurt and that's life.   Resentment?   I think this team is really a close knit bunch.  I don't think any one of them resents the other.  They probably work each other in practice, but they don't resent each other as noticed by how they all felt when Perk left (and he was the MOST mistake prone of all of them).
    Posted by Celtsfan4life

Thats the point Im making. Perk was mistake prone...agreed. But Perk put out every game, he just had limitations. 

When a player doesnt put out on the court, is not trying to do his job but opts to let his teammates do it for him, thats an entirely different subject. That will cause resentment imo.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

the resentment for rondo is cultivated and nourished here on this forum, not in the celtics locker room.
    Posted by BaileyPowe

Oh, do you spend time with the players in the locker room or have personal relationships with a few of them?  Just asking..

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

i could ask you the same thing, karl. we're expressing opinions here. based on a poor performance on an early march sunday night in milwaukee, yours is apparently that rondo is a toxic source of resentment for his teammates. mine is that rondo and the team are fine and last night doesn't mean squat in the overall scheme of things.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

Very good posts, Celtsfan4life and Karllost!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from basketbert. Show basketbert's posts

I'm wondering if there isn't some kind of nagging injury with Rondo we don't know about. He just didn't look mobile at times. Lack of effort or something else?
    Its time for west to get back and start spelling Rondo for more than one game at a time. Arroyo should help as well.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerrycole. Show jerrycole's posts

On another thread, I posted my increasing concern that Rondo's plantar fasciitis (PF) condition is getting worse.  For those who don't know, PF is an extremely painful condition affecting the long tendon that goes from above the heel to under the foot.  The Achilles is part of that long tendon, but PF is far more painful than an Achilles heel.  PF makes walking across a room difficult, never mind playing a pro level game that involves lots of high speed changes of direction, sudden stops and accelerations, jumping and landing.

Rondo was diagnosed with PF early in the season.  The only "cure" is rest.  Given what he does for a living, there is very little chance that the condition has gone away in the meantime.  If he still has it, then he is playing through pain.  And if it is getting worse, unless he is super-human, he may have to pack it in for a while.  If so, goodbye #18.

I am getting very worried.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Yes, he may be playing through pain.  That's a real possibility.  Doc held him out a while early in the season if you remember with his other injury.  He came back pretty strong at that point. 

But, as for the resentment, Karl - if there is some resentment, these guys keep it in the locker room as they always have.  I'm sure they have disagreements and get on each other with candid feedback.....its been that way for 4 years.  But, the internal feedback does not spill over to how they treat each other on the court or as friends.  Its pretty clear they are a tight bunch from how they defend each other and how they hang together and I like that.

I just don't see any evidence of some resentment at Rondo.  I think that's just speculation without being based on any evidence.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

On another thread, I posted my increasing concern that Rondo's plantar fasciitis (PF) condition is getting worse.  For those who don't know, PF is an extremely painful condition affecting the long tendon that goes from above the heel to under the foot.  The Achilles is part of that long tendon, but PF is far more painful than an Achilles heel.  PF makes walking across a room difficult, never mind playing a pro level game that involves lots of high speed changes of direction, sudden stops and accelerations, jumping and landing. Rondo was diagnosed with PF early in the season.  The only "cure" is rest.  Given what he does for a living, there is very little chance that the condition has gone away in the meantime.  If he still has it, then he is playing through pain.  And if it is getting worse, unless he is super-human, he may have to pack it in for a while.  If so, goodbye #18. I am getting very worried.
    Posted by jerrycole

He has been oustcored by his opposite number by an average of 26 points over the last two games, games his team won a total of 10 points.

hmmmmm...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

Losing Rondo to PF  is  not the end of the world assuming that DWest and Arroyo are healthy.

Don't kiss #18 goodbye just yet. We can still count on 3 future HOFers and maybe 4.

Pud

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bopna. Show bopna's posts

No matter what people say, I still love Rondoooooooooooooo!!!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Rondo doubters:  You will never stop but I will give it a try.

The guy is entitled to have an off game or even several during the course of a long season.

Those who never cease to compare him unfavorably to his peers who score more.  Remember the main function of point guard is not to be a scorer but a distributor.  Does Russell Westbrook distribute as well as Rondo?  If he was on this team you actually think the sum of it parts(the Celtics)would thrive under more with Westbrook?   

Rondo is playing too many minutes. Other point guards do not have to play nearly as many minutes as he does now with West's injury and Nate's departure. And if they do, Rondo almost always outplays them at key junctures in latter parts of the game.

The idea that Rondo haters will ever admit to being wrong is an impossibility but the idea that they cannot admit that Rondo is the best suited PG for the Celtics is what I cannot fathom.

He was off last night.  That is not in question.  His body of work speaks loudly for itself. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RampageIMT. Show RampageIMT's posts

I love Rondo more than anybody but I think people give him too much credit for his defense.  Don't get me wrong he is good defensively but he gambles way too much.  I know his "gambling" results in steals sometimes but I wish he would know when to gamble and when not to.  I have seen too many times guys blowing by him and he either sticks his arm in to knock the ball away or tries to poke it away from behind.  When someone blows by him it breaks down the whole defense.  Nash and Jennings were doing it consistently to him.  The only other thing besides a jump shot I have a gripe with is he tries to be too fancy when he doesn't need to be.  Behind the back passes and all that nonsense are not needed.  If we are up by double digits and he wants to try something fancy that is fine but when you are in a close ballgame and you are trying behind the back passes that is just plain ridiculous.  He had 8 turnovers last night and half of those were the result of dumb passes.  That is potentially a 8-16 point swing with those turnovers that could have been avoided.  Eventually with age I think he will make smarter decisions.  I just wish he was more consistent with all parts of his game.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Rondo doubters:  You will never stop but I will give it a try. The guy is entitled to have an off game or even several during the course of a long season. Those who never cease to compare him unfavorably to his peers who score more.  Remember the main function of point guard is not to be a scorer but a distributor.  Does Russell Westbrook distribute as well as Rondo?  If he was on this team you actually think the sum of it parts(the Celtics)would thrive under more with Westbrook?    Rondo is playing too many minutes. Other point guards do not have to play nearly as many minutes as he does now with West's injury and Nate's departure. And if they do, Rondo almost always outplays them at key junctures in latter parts of the game. The idea that Rondo haters will ever admit to being wrong is an impossibility but the idea that they cannot admit that Rondo is the best suited PG for the Celtics is what I cannot fathom. He was off last night.  That is not in question.  His body of work speaks loudly for itself. 
    Posted by concord27

I agree with most of your post.

What I dont understand is why people feel the need to defend Rondo when he has a bad game like last night.  He was very bad and more disturbing was his lack of effort.

Isnt it fair he receive criticism?

When he plays great, most here make a point of letting everyone know how great he was and lucky we are to have him. I feel that is fair, why not the other way?

I was very annoyed at Rondos lack of hustle and energy... and his careless play. I dont care when players miss the shots theyre supposed to take but it bothers me when they dont put out.

Nothing wrong with making valid observations and pointing them out, both ways. 

Ive said it before..when Ray was bricking in the finals, I wasnt blaming him. He wasnt jogging around screens or easing up on defense.... he was just missing good shots..shots he should take. He wasnt missing on purpose or from lack of hustling. Ray played his heart out but it was out of his control.

Rondo on the other hand decided not to hustle last night, not give it his all. He  is in control of that and made his decision.  Doc allowed it to happen too.

Im critical of Rondo for this. I believe its fair criticism. Perhaps you see things differently, thats ok too.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RampageIMT. Show RampageIMT's posts

In Response to Re: Cue The Rondo Hate.... : I agree with most of your post. What I dont understand is why people feel the need to defend Rondo when he has a bad game like last night.  He was very bad and more disturbing was his lack of effort. Isnt it fair he receive criticism? When he plays great, most here make a point of letting everyone know how great he was and lucky we are to have him. I feel that is fair, why not the other way? I was very annoyed at Rondos lack of hustle and energy... and his careless play. I dont care when players miss the shots theyre supposed to take but it bothers me when they dont put out. Nothing wrong with making valid observations and pointing them out, both ways.  Ive said it before..when Ray was bricking in the finals, I wasnt blaming him. He wasnt jogging around screens or easing up on defense.... he was just missing good shots..shots he should take. He wasnt missing on purpose or from lack of hustling. Ray played his heart out but it was out of his control. Rondo on the other hand decided not to hustle last night, not give it his all. He  is in control of that and made his decision.  Doc allowed it to happen too. Im critical of Rondo for this. I believe its fair criticism. Perhaps you see things differently, thats ok too.
    Posted by Karllost

I absolutely agree with this assessment.  I guess that is what I was trying to say in my first post but came across a different way.  When Rondo is playing his heart out he is like a man possessed.  A walking triple double almost.  But nights like last night really bug me.  Even if you are playing hurt or sick, if you are able to make it out on the court you should be giving it your all.  If not then you shouldn't be in the game.  And yes Doc does let this happen all too often.  Rondo played very careless last night and it didn't seem like he was putting forth the effort.  KG is man that gives his all every game and leaves everything out on the court.  So when he has a bad game I can respect that because I know he gave 100%.  Sometimes Rondo just seems disinterested and it is frustrating because he is the core of what makes us go.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Im not being a Monday morning QB about this either. If you check the Celtics Bucks Game thread from last night which I started.... the 1st two posts were made by me commenting on what I was watching..... Rondo getting picked off all over the place..

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

Rondo doubters:  You will never stop but I will give it a try. The guy is entitled to have an off game or even several during the course of a long season. Those who never cease to compare him unfavorably to his peers who score more.  Remember the main function of point guard is not to be a scorer but a distributor.  Does Russell Westbrook distribute as well as Rondo?  If he was on this team you actually think the sum of it parts(the Celtics)would thrive under more with Westbrook?    Rondo is playing too many minutes. Other point guards do not have to play nearly as many minutes as he does now with West's injury and Nate's departure. And if they do, Rondo almost always outplays them at key junctures in latter parts of the game. The idea that Rondo haters will ever admit to being wrong is an impossibility but the idea that they cannot admit that Rondo is the best suited PG for the Celtics is what I cannot fathom. He was off last night.  That is not in question.  His body of work speaks loudly for itself
    Posted by concord27

Your words do not match your deeds. It must not be too loud if you feel a need to amplify it.

Pud

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

Rondo doubters:  You will never stop but I will give it a try. The guy is entitled to have an off game or even several during the course of a long season. Those who never cease to compare him unfavorably to his peers who score more.  Remember the main function of point guard is not to be a scorer but a distributor.  Does Russell Westbrook distribute as well as Rondo?  If he was on this team you actually think the sum of it parts(the Celtics)would thrive under more with Westbrook?    Rondo is playing too many minutes. Other point guards do not have to play nearly as many minutes as he does now with West's injury and Nate's departure. And if they do, Rondo almost always outplays them at key junctures in latter parts of the game. The idea that Rondo haters will ever admit to being wrong is an impossibility but the idea that they cannot admit that Rondo is the best suited PG for the Celtics is what I cannot fathom. He was off last night.  That is not in question.  His body of work speaks loudly for itself. 
    Posted by concord27

Does Westbrook distribute as well as Rondo?  hmmm..... no he scores, he is actually part of the offense, he knows he can score, he shoots the ball, he goes to the line and makes 80%.  He is the only player in the league averaging 23 ppg, 8 assts, and 5 boards.

There are still those of you that somehow feel Rondo is giving up some portion of his game to make the team better.  The reality of the situation is Doc told him he needs to shoot more and be more aggressive getting the ball to the hoop and his shooting percentage has come down and his assists have come down.

He hates the extra pass because it ensures he won't get an assist and also ensures that he will go an hide in the corner and beg for the ball all the while hoping nobody passes him the ball and one were able to watch games objectively one would see that once the ball is out of Rondo's hands his teammates do not even consider him an option unless or until the shotclock forces them to give up the ball to someone where nobody is within 15 feet.

With Westbrook someone is within 2 feet of him at all times but they are generally working on spelling Westbrook not Oklahoma City, in other words they are looking at his back not in front of him.

Keep trying to put qualifiers on Rondo's game - Westbrook is not as good a distributor (but more than 3 years younger), Deron Williams is not a good teammate but better in every single category that anyone could possibly imagine, I think I read earlier today C Paul is somehow injury prone - what an absolute joke, and so on and so forth.

The reality remains Rondo is very limited and posters constantly try to put qualifiers on his game to keep him in the discussion as one of the elite point guards.

Other than the most recent explosion (16 points or something like that) he is averaging about 6 ppg in the last half dozen is routinely outplayed by his opponent.

Give Rondo Michael Redd who has basically not played in over a year, Bogut who has never really recovered from last year's injuries, someone with 5 or 6 names that ends in Moute, Brockman, Salmons, and you will see Rondo jacking up 4 for 19, shooting 3s at a rate of 10%, 50% from the line and averaging about 5 assists.

Let the excuses begin.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

Dudder, I'm suprised you even show your face after the way JC destroyed your arguments.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Karl,
    I don't disagree with you either.  I just don't know what was responsible for his off game last night.  He was awful but I feel he is entitled to a bad game.

Dudder and Pud,
    To question my comment that his body of work speaks for itself really means we can't have a discussion.

Rondo has been spectacular in so many games the last two and half years I can't take the time to lay it out for you.

I get it, you say he can't score and you think it is a real liability.  There is so much more there with Rondo you just can't see it.  I feel sorry for you, rest assured he is the best point guard for this team.  The Lakers, the Heat, and the Magic would kill to have this guy.  We have him and with it we have an advantage that should lead to a title.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

btw, dudder, where is that fantasy league ranking link you were posting as proof of Rondo's mediocrity? The one that ranked Antwain Jamison above KG and Darko Milicic above Shaq?

Sections
Shortcuts