Danny Ainge is a genius

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheIndieSound. Show TheIndieSound's posts

Re: Danny Ainge is a genius

In response to Fierce34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Danny Ainge is not going to trade Jeff Green.

[/QUOTE]

Why not?

He's the most tradable asset they have right now.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from videoburns. Show videoburns's posts

In response to jtkl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ainge has made some huge mistakes in recent years. He's pretty good at drafting young talent. 

However, this is not his plan. His plan (which is correct) is going after Wiggins (or as high into the lottery has he can get). I count on Danny to make it so.

[/QUOTE]

I don't think that is his plan and I don't think it is correct.  I think the plan is to play the young guys if they develop slowly,  We end up in the lottery and we get Wiggins or equivelent talent.

If they develop quickly, and we are in the playoffs, we use the assets and drafts we have accumulated to trade for a star.

If they develop and hit their ceilings and look like they could become stars, we hold on to them, and build around with numerous draft picks. 

Danny's plan is accumulate assets with multiple paths to success.

[/QUOTE]

++++

Finally someone on this board makes sense.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

In response to jtkl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ainge has made some huge mistakes in recent years. He's pretty good at drafting young talent. 

However, this is not his plan. His plan (which is correct) is going after Wiggins (or as high into the lottery has he can get). I count on Danny to make it so.

[/QUOTE]

I don't think that is his plan and I don't think it is correct.  I think the plan is to play the young guys if they develop slowly,  We end up in the lottery and we get Wiggins or equivelent talent.

If they develop quickly, and we are in the playoffs, we use the assets and drafts we have accumulated to trade for a star.

If they develop and hit their ceilings and look like they could become stars, we hold on to them, and build around with numerous draft picks. 

Danny's plan is accumulate assets with multiple paths to success.

[/QUOTE]

Yes, nice case analysis.  Danny has multiple options depending upon how things pan out.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from maryngary. Show maryngary's posts

No one know how the rest of the season will go but:  Fav is a find, I like him more than most of the centers in the NBA, he is not allstar but with his all around game he can be near allstar like Rondo.  KO is a very good player in the making, the guy knows how to play the game, when teh reffs begin to respect him a bit more it will help.  Sullinger is very good for his age, but I hear a bad knee is surfacing.   Crawford can pass and shoot, he needs to improve his defence but he has time to do it.  He its very difficult to read and the other team just never knows if he is looking for the shot or pass.  This team is not that bad , they do not suck.  The coach is refreshing.  All playes feel like they are part of the team. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bigpoodle. Show Bigpoodle's posts

At the moment it looks like the Nets, who owe the Celts 1st-round picks in four of the next five years, are (unintentionally) doing the tanking for them. The Celtics can focus on developing their young talent as far as it will go and let the chips fall where they may as far as this year's record.

Flexibility is indeed the key to getting stronger in 2014 and beyond. Ainge doesn't have to think merely in terms of who to dump or trade for whom. Bodies, expiring contracts, and that boatload of extra draft picks are all assets that can be used or packaged in trades for desired players or better draft positions - in multiple years. Funky roster moves like the amnesty and the stretch also can yield additional room for wheeling and dealing. There are literally thousands of possible combinations of these assets at Ainge's disposal when considering potential deals with the 29 other teams. No need for him to make hasty moves - he can watch the season, his needs, and other team's situations develop. I don't know whether the guy is a genius or not, but he sure has given himself a lot of ways to avoid looking like an idiot.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

You're not trading for Luol Deng. You're trading for Luol Deng's $14Mil+ Expiring contract.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

You're not getting Deng the player. You're giving up Green, who is a very fun player when he decides it's time for him to play and he ramps up his game. But you're getting two more first rounders to add to the two you've already got, plus $26 million in expiring contracts in just Deng and Humphries.

That's all without giving up Rondo. You'd assume that the Boston pick would be in the lottery, as will the Charlotte pick. Chicago and Brooklyn should both be playoff teams, but one may wind up being a middle of the round type pick. Would Rondo plus a mid and a late round pick be enough to pull in another lotto pick? Maybe. But two lottery players and Rondo, plus Bradley, Lee, Sully, KO...that might entice a high priced free agent to come walking in those doors.

All in all, this just proves that DA has a LOT to work with. Nobody on their own is a great piece, but there are a lot of pretty good pieces.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheBigTicket05. Show TheBigTicket05's posts

In response to mossad-did-911's comment:

ideally, for me, both bass and lee get dealt to OKC for Perk, Sefolosha and 2 #1's. OKC needs players who can help them win now, just like Chicago.

it would be nice!

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from shines01. Show shines01's posts

I'm grateful to Perk for his years here...that's it

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from shines01. Show shines01's posts

and btw, the Mossad did, in fact, do 9-11

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

Question though...in the Bulls trade, where is that Charlotte pick coming from?

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

Got it...thanks. So not quite as good a haul, but I'm always for getting picks.