Danny Ainge: 'We are open and listening'

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Danny Ainge: 'We are open and listening'

Posted by Gary Dzen, Boston.com Staff January 31, 2013 06:12 PM

Celtics president of basketball operations went on WEEI's Big Show Thursday afternoon and said his team was not close to making a trade but that he'd been open to discussing any deal that would make the Celtics better.

"We are open and listening, but we don't feel pressure to do anything," said Ainge. "Whether we win every game or whether we struggle, I think it all depends on what opportunities are presented. We want to make some change to help improve our team."

The player who would seem to have the most value on the open market is Paul Pierce. He's a veteran who can help a contending team win now, and only $4 million of his $15.3 million contract for next season is guaranteed. Ainge said he has not received any offers for Pierce, but he said that he would inform his veteran forward of any potential trade discussions.

"Nothing has been talked about with Paul," said Ainge. "Nothing is close to being done. I too would like to see Paul retire as a Celtic.That would be great. We're all attached to Paul. He's been great for the city, the franchise, and he's been a true pro. Having said that, if something came up I would talk to Paul. My job is to do what's in the best interest of our team, regardless of my personal ties or my personal feelings with the players."

Ainge was also adamant that he was not currently in the market to pick up another point guard to replace Rajon Rondo.

"Not right now," he said. "There's a lot of reasons why we're not just jumping out and doing something.There really is nobody that you can find to replace Rondo, either through a trade or free agent acquisition, at this time of year. We like the guys -- Barbosa's been dying for a chance to play, and Jason Terry, and Avery Bradley at the point. I think all those guys are looking for an opportunity."

The Celtics have won their last two games with Rondo, and talk radio was filled Thursday with fans calling in suggesting that the team might be better without its All-Star point guard. Ainge quickly shot down notion.

"He single-handedly carries us every night, and I don't know how people don't see that," said Ainge. "It's silly. He's a great, great player, and he's proven that time and time again. The guy's been MVP of probably four or five series over the last five years. He's been the best player in a series against LeBron James. He's been the best player in a series against Derrick Rose. He's been the best player in three games in a Finals series. The guy has done too many good things. The question is, 'Are the pieces right around him?'"

One criticism of Rondo is that he dominates the ball too much. Another is that he cares too much about his statistics. Ainge called the entire notion of double-doubles and triple-doubles "nonsense" and said he understands the criticism of Rondo's attempt at keeping his streak of consecutive games with double-digit assists alive earlier this season vs. Detroit. But he says most of Rondo's triple-double performances have transcended the stats.

"The rebounds he gets, most guards can't get," said Ainge. "The assists that he gets, a lot of people can't get."

Ainge sounded relatively happy with his current team. He did not sound like a GM looking to make drastic changes for this season.

"I think I've been pretty consistent on this team the last couple of years,"he said. "I said I like the individuals. Obviously I don't like 20-23, which we were when Rondo got hurt. I didn't like any part of that.

"But what I particularly said is I like what these guys are made of, especially our core guys. When it comes down to playoff basketball, I know what they're made of, and I know that they have the gear to take it to another level."

Ainge said he expected the Celtics to make some kind of move, but not necessarily a major one, before the Feb. 21 NBA trade deadline.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from celtic213. Show celtic213's posts

Re: Danny Ainge: 'We are open and listening'

He better get us a big I cant watch Bass anymore.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Nice comments about Rondo! 

Ainge was also adamant that he was not currently in the market to pick up another point guard to replace Rajon Rondo.

"Not right now," he said. "There's a lot of reasons why we're not just jumping out and doing something.There really is nobody that you can find to replace Rondo, either through a trade or free agent acquisition, at this time of year. We like the guys -- Barbosa's been dying for a chance to play, and Jason Terry, and Avery Bradley at the point. I think all those guys are looking for an opportunity."

The Celtics have won their last two games with Rondo, and talk radio was filled Thursday with fans calling in suggesting that the team might be better without its All-Star point guard. Ainge quickly shot down notion.

"He single-handedly carries us every night, and I don't know how people don't see that," said Ainge. "It's silly. He's a great, great player, and he's proven that time and time again. The guy's been MVP of probably four or five series over the last five years. He's been the best player in a series against LeBron James. He's been the best player in a series against Derrick Rose. He's been the best player in three games in a Finals series. The guy has done too many good things. The question is, 'Are the pieces right around him?'"

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CelticFanLA. Show CelticFanLA's posts

In response to celtic213's comment:

He better get us a big I cant watch Bass anymore.

A big who with a post up game and can score consistently. Come playoff time, the game will slow down. Big Al, is the one I want, but I dont know if that is possible.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

In response to BCSP's comment:

Nice comments about Rondo! 

All true too.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

I wonder why DA feels such a need to talk Rondo up?

Rondo has played 6 and 1/2 seasons in the NBA and his performance really should (and does) speak for itself.

One possibility is that by talking Rondo up, DA is talking himself up since he has staked considerable personal CRED on R9R.

After all, for fans to openly question Rondo's real value is to openly question DA's BBIQ.

To suggest that the real question is "Are the pieces right around Rondo?" is bizarre.

The real question is "Is DA out of his F-N mind?" going this far out a limb to defend such a controversial and high maintenance player when his team plays better fundamental ball w/o him. 

DA might be better served to keep his mouth shut.

Pud

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

In response to Kirk6's comment:

No trades.

Amen.

If we change anything it is Docs play to lose offense. We should have beat Sac by 40 but Doc kept them within trying distance with his have 2 players in the corners play catch until 4 or less seconds and take a fade away from 19+ feet with maybe 1 player under the boards vs 3 and hope for lucky rebound or a desparate set up to fail desparation errant pass. With our present lineup we should be taking a shot with no less than 12 seconds on the shot clock,which is how the Cs played until post Bird. Red found that if the opposing team spent most the game in between the 5 seconds marker you can add 30 more shots to your offense and cut down 10-15 shots from your opposition, contolled mayhem. Doc believes with an undersized offense we should give bigger teams time to setup and clog the lane and have all but 2-3 players standstill and lose any rythmn and be forced to shoot 3s with 1-2 seconds or at least make them take last second shots from the free throwline or try to make something happen 10 feet away from where they should be and be set up to fail, unless injury makes him actually use the talent he has accordingly. There is a difference between staying to your guns and trying to pound a square peg into a round hole. Doc is presently infatuated with the latter. We can be contenders if Doc would realize that our present cannot be successful playing the same offense we played with RA,PP and KG. Look at the split stats!! Doc needs to change his offensive and defensive style or we need to change Coaches. Great coaches adapt to any situation ,good coaches try to perfect one style.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

Amen Kirk Amen.

DAs we're not trying but we will listen is his pat answer since he came here. It's his version of we're going to give 110% etc etc

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

God, Ainge is starting to sound dumber than Doc!!

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Couple of thoughts.  For where Rondo was drafted and for the salary that he makes, the Celtics have a steal.  He is mercurial, it is dubious that you want him to be your leader, but when his head is straight there are few point guards better than he is.  He is an asset, one of the few assests on this roster right now even though he is hurt.  

I agree with Ainge somewhat that the players around Rondo are aging, not that good, or are having trouble adjusting to playing with him. Annointing Rondo the leader of this team seems to have affected his game in a way that has made him as stubborn as ever -- but since he's "the leader" and the team's "best player" he is no longer considered the petulant young guy that KG and Pierce need to rein in. 

So to me, the Celtics either go all in for a playoff run with what they have, maybe with a few tweaks to the roster, or they try to get some assets for the future and try to build around Rondo.  If they are open and listening, it means that until the trade deadline this current group can control their destiny by playing better or Ainge might just pull the trigger and start the rebuild. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In response to puddinpuddin's comment:

I wonder why DA feels such a need to talk Rondo up?

Rondo has played 6 and 1/2 seasons in the NBA and his performance really should (and does) speak for itself.

One possibility is that by talking Rondo up, DA is talking himself up since he has staked considerable personal CRED on R9R.

After all, for fans to openly question Rondo's real value is to openly question DA's BBIQ.

To suggest that the real question is "Are the pieces right around Rondo?" is bizarre.

The real question is "Is DA out of his F-N mind?" going this far out a limb to defend such a controversial and high maintenance player when his team plays better fundamental ball w/o him. 

DA might be better served to keep his mouth shut.

Pud

Right back at ya Mrs. Creepy.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

It reads like DA is setting us up for a trade!

Boston Celtics general manager Danny Ainge appeared on WEEI on Thursday and gave a radio interview in which he covered a variety of topics relating to the Celtics' handling of Rajon Rondo's knee injury and the team's plans for the trading headline. Brian Robb of CelticsHub.com has a transcript of some of Ainge's comments.

On the likelihood of a trade:

I think whether we win every game or whether we struggle, I think it all depends on what opportunties are presented, so we are open and listening and are having discussions regarding a lot of different possibilities, but we don't feel pressure to do anything. We want to make some change to help improve our team, but we don't feel pressure.

On the possibility of trading Paul Pierce:

Nothing is close to being done. I too, would like to see Paul Pierce retire as a Celtic. That would be great. We are all attached to Paul. He's been great for the city, the franchise, each of us individually, he's been a true pro. Having said that, if something came up I would talk to Paul, but my job is do what's best for the Boston fans, and what's best for the Boston Celtic team, regardless of my personal ties and personal relationships with players.€

On discussions with the Grizzlies prior to the Rudy Gay trade:

Memphis with new management has been pretty active. We've had discussions but nothing that ever got close. It's been well documented what they were trying to accomplish, to get under the tax and get for Rudy. They got some good players though, and time will tell.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

If DA does decide to trade PP, it could spark a bidding war between the Clips and OKC! Both teams know PP can put their team or the other team over the top! 

DA is likely putting himself in a great position to DEAL! 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

In response to BCSP's comment:

If DA does decide to trade PP, it could spark a bidding war between the Clips and OKC! Both teams know PP can put their team and the other team over the top! 

DA is likely putting himself in a great position to DEAL! 

Watch and learn Mitchhhhhh! 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Steve Kyler: Was told yesterday Boston was absolutely open to trading Paul Pierce for the right package in return. Hard to see that not happening now Twitter @stevekylerNBA

Rumors tags

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Pierce is extremely tradeable because of his contract.

It will be interesting to see what heppens.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

In response to snakeoil123's comment:

Pierce is extremely tradeable because of his contract.

It will be interesting to see what heppens.

I think DA is "prepping the field" so to speak, through his words in recent interviews.

Best case for the Cs (if DA does decide to trade PP), is a bidding war between multiple teams for his services!

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:

If OKC is smart, they're going to want Pierce.

Right now no way OKC is going to beat Miami in a 7-game series. Kevin Martin just stands around waiting to get open for a 3. 

It would be great for the Cs if the Clips and OKC get into a bidding war for PP!! A title may be the only way the Clips keep CP3! OKC on the other hand, knows they need PP to have a shot at beating Miami (as stated above)!

I have a gut feeling DA is moving pieces around on his chess board, in an effort to score a big check-mate, in the PP sweepstakes!

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Speculation: I think multiple trades are coming!

Sections
Shortcuts