Danny, blow it up!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

Re: Danny, blow it up!!

Fierce, we won one championship and got to within minutes in game 7 of a second championship.  And most posters will agree that we lost that game 7 more because of a lack of rebounding (and questionable calls) than Rondo not scoring in the 4th quarter at the pace he scored in the 1st 3 quarters.  All we did was put in House or Posey who were capable of filling their roles.

Has Rondo's inability to score alot in the 4th quarter really been THAT MUCH of a factor in the Celtics success or failure over the past 6 seasons?  I really don't think it has and if you really evaluate it and remove your personal bias, you might agree that is the case.  Fierce, would you agree?

It's more of an issue now merely because the Big 3 cannot score and finish like they once could in the past.  I mean, it really did not hamper the Celtics success when PP would drop 20 in the 4th and take us home.  It did not matter when Ray would catch fire and drop 18 in the 4th, huh?  But now since the Big 3 can't finish anymore, Rondo gets more of the 4th quarter blame.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

I just think Rondo is has issues.

Everytime he puts up big numbers we lose, so it should be obvious, he is most effective when dishing it.

The problem is, when he has a good matchup, he can go off for 30, but noone else gets involved, and in the 4th when things slow down, like Fierce said, P and Ray cnat bail you out because they have no rythm.

Rondo needs to score within the context of the team and half court offense and cannot, IMO.

We have seen it for years. By now Rondo should be averaging 18 and 10.

IN the Playoffs, nothing will change.  I like the idea of seeing what u have in the offseason, but I dont think bringing in less established players means Rondo plays better. Noone knows what is eating at Rondo inside cept' him and Perk...lol

A.B. has a great attitude to go with his mean streak. I groom him for the future. The way he is dunking on cats right now, he could be an all-star in 2 years if his confidence keeps growing.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

In Response to Re: Danny, blow it up!!:
    [QUOTE]Fierce, we won one championship and got to within minutes in game 7 of a second championship.  And most posters will agree that we lost that game 7 more because of a lack of rebounding (and questionable calls) than Rondo not scoring in the 4th quarter at the pace he scored in the 1st 3 quarters.  All we did was put in House or Posey who were capable of filling their roles. Has Rondo's inability to score alot in the 4th quarter really been THAT MUCH of a factor in the Celtics success or failure over the past 6 seasons ?  I really don't think it has and if you really evaluate it and remove your personal bias, you might agree that is the case.  Fierce, would you agree? It's more of an issue now merely because the Big 3 cannot score and finish like they once could in the past.  I mean, it really did not hamper the Celtics success when PP would drop 20 in the 4th and take us home.  It did not matter when Ray would catch fire and drop 18 in the 4th, huh?  But now since the Big 3 can't finish anymore, Rondo gets more of the 4th quarter blame.
    Posted by Petey62[/QUOTE]

Petey, I get your point, and I love your passion.  I must disagree here, however.  I think that as the Big 3 have gotten older, Rondo has been given the chance to improve his game, and become THE MAN.  He has not taken advantage of this.  While I agree that when we won in 08 and made it to the Finals in 2010, Rondo's scoring was not an issue, I feel it is now.  He was an unknown in 2008, and in 2010 everyone was clicking on all cylinders.  He needed to step it up and become at least an average threat from the outside.  He has not, and I think it is time for both parties to move on - much respect for your posts, though!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from clappy. Show clappy's posts

The Blow-up probably should've occurred a year ago, but anything Danny can do now that helps the Future should be done. A short training camp and the condensed schedule is putting too much pressure on an old team that should be easing in younger players. The injuries are a byproduct of that.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from breaktime. Show breaktime's posts

[QUOTE]Fierce, we won one championship and got to within minutes in game 7 of a second championship.  And most posters will agree that we lost that game 7 more because of a lack of rebounding (and questionable calls) than Rondo not scoring in the 4th quarter at the pace he scored in the 1st 3 quarters.  All we did was put in House or Posey who were capable of filling their roles. Has Rondo's inability to score alot in the 4th quarter really been THAT MUCH of a factor in the Celtics success or failure over the past 6 seasons ?  I really don't think it has and if you really evaluate it and remove your personal bias, you might agree that is the case.  Fierce, would you agree? It's more of an issue now merely because the Big 3 cannot score and finish like they once could in the past.  I mean, it really did not hamper the Celtics success when PP would drop 20 in the 4th and take us home.  It did not matter when Ray would catch fire and drop 18 in the 4th, huh?  But now since the Big 3 can't finish anymore, Rondo gets more of the 4th quarter blame.
    Good points Petey.  Each one of the Big 3 is not the player they were a few years back.  If their game had not fallen off, maybe Rondo's deficiencies would be considered minor, and not major issues.
    Kinda a "put the shoe on the other foot" argument, eh?

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DeweyCBoston. Show DeweyCBoston's posts

In Response to Danny, blow it up!!:
    [QUOTE]I'm ok with Bradley at PG but Danny please get all you can for the Big 4. It's time to blow it up!!
    Posted by BiasLewis[/QUOTE]

It may be lent, but its no sin to request that, Danny,
     please make a big deal or something, this is excrutiating

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

The only change with the Celtics over the past 3 years is the significant decline of the Big 3.  Rondo couldn't shoot a FT in 2008 and he can't shoot one today.  Rondo could not hit a clutch perimeter shot in 2008 and he cannot consistently hit one now.

JayShizzle45, Rondo should not be averaging 18 points and 10 assists per game.  Rondo does not have the skills to be, in spite of all reports, THE MAN for the Celtics or any team for that matter.  Let's not believe that hype!  Rondo is currently the second leading scorer on the Celtics.  He's at almost 15 points and 10 assists per game and that is exactly where Rondo should be as a starting PG on THIS TEAM.

Red, much respect to you too, but Rondo's game HAS IMPROVED but not to the degree that we or the Celtics needed (or hoped it would).  Rondo's game has improved but not as much as the Big 3's have declined.  It goes hand in hand.  Rondo will never been a prolific scorer.  He's a facilitator who can score the ball when he has a mismatch.  He's the player who makes everyone around him better.  But when those players go from sure-fire all stars to inconsistent at best players, Rondo's skills are negated.

Rondo's improvement is not as great as the significant nosedive of the Big 3's skills.  Ray is scoring 14.5 points per game and KG is at 14.4.  To counter those clearly mediocre numbers, Rondo has to average an "efficient" 20/22 points a game and he's just not capable of doing that.

If the Celtics had Monta Ellis at SG and David West at PF with Jeff Green running SF, guys capable of scoring the ball, Rondo would be back to 13 ppg and 12 apg and our offense would not be near the bottom of the NBA.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

The main thing is Rondo is considered an all star and gets paid as one.

How many championships were won because of the star PG??

D.Will, Rose, Paul, they have no hardware.

When we won, Rondo was just a role player getting guys the ball.

Lakers have won many titles with Fisher at the helm.

Jason Kidd failed to win 2 Titles after making it to the Finals.

You get my point?

We dont need a Star PG, we never really have. All the C's team of the past that won, who did they have...( no the Hondo let teams) the 80's teams.

You need chemistry, A Big man, and a defensive mind set to win in this league.

Lets not try to build around a PG. It hasnt worked since Magic Johnson.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PHX85014. Show PHX85014's posts

KEEP BRADLEY, JJ JOHNSON, E MOORE , PIETRIUS, and the STEAMER...

NO DANNY FORTSON , RAEF LAFRENZ , VIN BAKER or TONY BATTIE TYPES NEED APPLY !

GET ON THE PHONE ALREADY !

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

There are so many different threads dealing with the same topic...trades...so I've copied and pasted this which I posted separately under “LA’s BIG 3 better than Our BIG 3”.

Our BIG 3 need shoot 50% to have a chance these days. Ray broke the 3pt record with 7 and then 8 out of 11 in gamee 4 or 5, I forgot, but in Game 7 I wish he had saved 1-2 from the record as he couldn't buy a basket in last critical few minutes...Difference, and you said it....we got outrebounded !!! Other comments on Game 7 loss below.

I do not profess to be Sherlock Holmes here as this has been discussed ad infinitum the past few weeks as our Celtics have collapsed.  Watched the Lakers-Dallas game last night won by LA and , despite Norwitzki’s 25 pts, it was LA’s big men, Gasol 24 pts/9Rebs and Bynum 19pts/14 rebs that ensured the victory. First let me say since I go back as a fan to Cousy days, I hate the Lakers, still pissed about the loss 2 years ago in 7th game blowing a 13 point lead and despite the egregious difference in foul shots 41-18, we still could have won but the difference was, and they shot 32% to our 40% and Kobe only 25%, we lost the REBOUND battle. Yup, I know Perkins was out.

Our biggest need is a big guy..6’11”…7 footer. It is not to exchange PGs  . However, I would do an even up on Rondo for Monta Ellis(I live in SF & go to GS games---fans hate LA same as we do and in sports bars root for us vs LA).  Would love too to get Mo Williams from Clippers for Ray Allen but don’t think they’d bite. Hate to say it but the Lakers BIG 3, Kobe, Gasol & Bynum are more valuable than our BIG 3.  Although our supporting cast is better, theirs does not have to shoot as well as we do but since they out rebound teams, the biggies put in the rebound or pass it out for another shot. As they say with shot after shot, even a blind chipmunk finds an acorn after time.

So, we need get Gasol, Kaman or Gortat so using Rondo for Monta Ellis ain’t gonna do it.  If Genius Danny can get D. Howard and Deron Williams, let KG go along with Rondo & Allen. I'd let PP go too but feel that passing Bird in scoring and the contribution he’s made over the years, he should retire a Celtic. Although being from LA area, maybe he wouldn’t mind finishing his days with Lakers or Clippers.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

[QUOTE]Pete Rondo is very good but he's not great. No starting PG, besides Rondo, that won a championship, the last decade, were bad at the FT line and at the same time didn't have 3pt range. Also, last year and this year, only Rondo is poor at FT shooting among the 16 playoff starting PGs.  Again, we got away with it in 2008 because we had Cassell and House to take over late in the 4th qtr.
    Posted by Fiercest34[/QUOTE]
    Fierce, very good points.  However, we got away with it because RA, PP and KG were closers then.  Having Rondo out there made it a "fair fight" when it got to clutch time.  RA, PP and KG have been doubled their entire careers.  Again, since we have no Cassell or House AND the Big 3's production has drastically declined, let's expect Rondo to be what he isn't.

I totally agree that Rondo can't hit a consistent jumper but the drastic decline of the Big 3's production is equally, if not more, to blame for our offensive struggles.

Besides, all of these other "hot shot", high-scoring, flashy PGs haven't "sniffed" the NBA Championship while making "max salary" dollars.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

Also, I'm one who believes the Celtics should not and will not build around Rondo.  They should build WITH him.  It's always been reported that the Celtics will build around him because he is the only guy on the team who MIGHT be there for the next 5-plus years and he's decent.

Fierce, you're right.  Rondo isn't great.  Honestly, Rondo is not even paid like he's great.  He's not a max player.  If you take out the rookie contract guys, Rondo is the lowest paid All Star player.  He's really not even paid like an All Star.

Make no mistake, if we could get something for Rondo, or anyone else, I say go for it.  But I just don't think blowing it up right now is the answer.  Fierce and others keep talking about getting draft picks for RA and KG but you fail to suggest from who we'll get them for.  Indiana has Paul George and George Hill so why would they need to give us a #1 for Ray for 4 months?

I also don't believe we have any players to package with our current draft picks to get back anyone who will be an impact.  Just not going to happen.  We may very well NOT make the playoffs and, IF WE DO, we're going home after 4 or 5 games against Miami or Chicago.  Is it worth that just to rid ourselves of Rondo and others?  Not so sure.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tampabostonfan. Show tampabostonfan's posts

You say the decline in the Big Three is more to blame than Rondo's lack of shooting ability.  I think you prove just the opposite.  Their decline just highlights Rondo's shortcomings.  Unless you surround him with at least three guys that are good shooters he is exposed.  

I like Rondo, I really do.  But, there is no excuse for him not improving his shooting ability.  Look at Derrick Rose.  He couldn't shoot very well when he got to the NBA.  He worked on it.  Got better each year and last year was MVP.  Remember when Rondo was considered better?  Seems a lifetime ago.  

As crazy as it sounds, building for the future with Bradley as the starting PG might not be that bad of an idea.  He is an incredible defender, can pass well, and can shoot better than Rondo.  Yes, Rondo is a walking triple-double waiting to happen, but is that what we really need?  Let's not forget, the C's went on their streak when Bradley was running the team.  Yes, it was lesser competition, but the C's have lost to some bad teams with Rondo at the helm this year.

Maybe they can move Rondo and his manageable contract for a young big or SG/SF.  I think we have our PF of the future already in Johnson.  Looks like Moore is, at a minimum, a good SG off the bench.  Seems like a good chance Jeff Green comes back, and given a more importnat role (6th man for example) where he gets 20-30 minutes a game I think he would do well.  Use our picks next year to flesh out the roster.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

I didn't read through all the posts so sorry if this is a repeat suggestion.

The LAC need a #2 guard, badly, I'm not sure what could be had as compensation but this seems like a good place to send Ray.  Ray is gone at the end of the season, so get something for him.  Maybe Foye or Bledsoe, depending on what their contract situations are.  Again, what the return is isn't all that important to me beacause anything is better than just letting him walk after our 1st round play-off beatdown.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Danny, blow it up!! : Ray Allen needs to go because he will have no value in the offseason when he's 37 years old.
    Posted by Fiercest34[/QUOTE]

and: thesemenare cowards  

I didn't read through all the posts so sorry if this is a repeat suggestion.

The LAC need a #2 guard, badly, I'm not sure what could be had as compensation but this seems like a good place to send Ray.  Ray is gone at the end of the season, so get something for him.  Maybe Foye or Bledsoe, depending on what their contract situations are.  Again, what the return is isn't all that important to me beacause anything is better than just letting him walk after our 1st round play-off beatdown.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I definitely agree to trade Ray, and I've loved him, and despite the fact that our biggest need is a center, I think Ray, not doubled teamed because Paul( as opposed to Rondo) & Griffin need be defended, he can be a major contributor to the Clippers but will they give us Mo Willams, for him, other(s) and a draft pick?

Magic Johnson believes there's one sure cure for the Lakers’ woes.

"If they can make a trade, they'll be right there competing for the Western Conference championship. We're lacking at the point guard, like we've been saying for the last year-and-a-half or so. But if they don't (make a deal), with Oklahoma City and San Antonio playing so much better than the Lakers, I don't think they will compete."

Magic has put the ball in management's court. Will it be another brilliant assist, or will Jim Buss watch the ball go right through his hands?

Problem for LA is how can they get a PG, Rondo for example, without giving up Gasol and that breaks up their twin towers rebounding dominance !!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

[QUOTE]You say the decline in the Big Three is more to blame than Rondo's lack of shooting ability.  I think you prove just the opposite.  Their decline just highlights Rondo's shortcomings.  Unless you surround him with at least three guys that are good shooters he is exposed.   I like Rondo, I really do.  But, there is no excuse for him not improving his shooting ability.  Look at Derrick Rose.  He couldn't shoot very well when he got to the NBA.  He worked on it.  Got better each year and last year was MVP.  Remember when Rondo was considered better?  Seems a lifetime ago.   As crazy as it sounds, building for the future with Bradley as the starting PG might not be that bad of an idea.  He is an incredible defender, can pass well, and can shoot better than Rondo.  Yes, Rondo is a walking triple-double waiting to happen, but is that what we really need?  Let's not forget, the C's went on their streak when Bradley was running the team.  Yes, it was lesser competition, but the C's have lost to some bad teams with Rondo at the helm this year. Maybe they can move Rondo and his manageable contract for a young big or SG/SF.  I think we have our PF of the future already in Johnson.  Looks like Moore is, at a minimum, a good SG off the bench.  Seems like a good chance Jeff Green comes back, and given a more importnat role (6th man for example) where he gets 20-30 minutes a game I think he would do well.  Use our picks next year to flesh out the roster.  
    Posted by tampabostonfan[/QUOTE]
    Good post tampabostonfan!  I said blame for the Celtics offensive struggles have as much to do with the significant decline of the Big 3's skills as it can be attributed to Rondo's weaknesses.

Rondo has been Rondo for his entire career.  How much has he developed since we won the championship?  Some, but not much in my opinion.  Rondo's impact on the Celtics offense, scoring-wise, has always been minimal.  However, Rondo's impact on the offense, setting up players with assists, is where he's unmatched.  He's second in the NBA in assists.

He's attempting more FGs and has a better FG%.  He's attempting more FTs and has a better FT% (shot 132 FTs last year and is at 109 now).  He's increased his scoring by more than 4 points per game this season while still getting 9.5 assists per game.  And, on top of all that, he's rebounding better than he has in all but one season in his career.

I get as frustrated with his moodiness and "olay" defense as anyone else but Rondo has NOT been the primary problem for this team this season.  He just happens to be BOTH the most polarizing and the most valuable trade chip for which we can get back something.

I love Bradley but I don't think Celtics fans are ready to see AB running the point.  He has no assist ability.  He lacks the fundamental instincts to be a PG.  Last season, Doc admitted that he doesn't know where to play AB because he's not a PG.  Just in mid-December, Doc admitted that the AB experiment at PG is being scrapped.  http://www.celticstown.com/2011/12/15/the-avery-bradley-point-guard-experiment-is-being-scrapped-at-least-for-now/

But now some folks want to see him as the PG of the future.  No way!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

[QUOTE]You say the decline in the Big Three is more to blame than Rondo's lack of shooting ability.  I think you prove just the opposite.  Their decline just highlights Rondo's shortcomings.  Unless you surround him with at least three guys that are good shooters he is exposed.   I like Rondo, I really do.  But, there is no excuse for him not improving his shooting ability.  Look at Derrick Rose.  He couldn't shoot very well when he got to the NBA.  He worked on it.  Got better each year and last year was MVP.  Remember when Rondo was considered better?  Seems a lifetime ago.   As crazy as it sounds, building for the future with Bradley as the starting PG might not be that bad of an idea.  He is an incredible defender, can pass well, and can shoot better than Rondo.  Yes, Rondo is a walking triple-double waiting to happen, but is that what we really need?  Let's not forget, the C's went on their streak when Bradley was running the team.  Yes, it was lesser competition, but the C's have lost to some bad teams with Rondo at the helm this year. Maybe they can move Rondo and his manageable contract for a young big or SG/SF.  I think we have our PF of the future already in Johnson.  Looks like Moore is, at a minimum, a good SG off the bench.  Seems like a good chance Jeff Green comes back, and given a more importnat role (6th man for example) where he gets 20-30 minutes a game I think he would do well.  Use our picks next year to flesh out the roster.  
    Posted by tampabostonfan[/QUOTE]

"Remember when he was considered better?"  Remember when Rondo was considered better?  Yeah when Rose was 19............  Irving is better, Rose is beter, Nash is better, Williams is better..... many others are better and many are just as good and would have provided the Cs with a better chance to win..... but Rondo is perfect for this team.... especially if the team includes 3 hall of famers in or near their prime.... however when they are not near their prime or they are past their prime it is evident that Rondo is a joke....

The idea they added Rondo is an all-star is an absolute joke... they have won less than 40% of the games he has played in, the only winning streak they have enjoyed is when he was hurt, he is the worst shooter in the league, and the worst free throw shooter in the league, and his supposed strengths have him not leading the league either in assists or in steals....  Kyrie Irving should be going to the all-star game if for some ridiculous reason there is a need to add another point guard.....  what about Noah, Boozer, Jennings, Josh Smith, Irving, Holiday, ... anyway what a joke having Rondo as an all-star....

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from DeweyCBoston. Show DeweyCBoston's posts

Why cant the Celtics rebuild around Rondo? Why? Why? Why?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from CASox. Show CASox's posts

[QUOTE]We cannot blow it up because we have no player of value that will get us anything back capable of leading us to "contender-level".  Like Cables said, RA and KG won't get us anything more than a solid role player because no team is going to take on a 4 month rental for them while giving up a solid young player. I'm not sure we could even get anything back for PP that will put us in near-contender status.  Besides, his contract makes him difficult to trade.  And Rondo's past week will push teams away that had a thought of obtaining him.  His value has taken a nose-dive and we can't expect to get an elite player young enough to lead us to contender-status in the next 2/3 years either. The only way this team becomes a "contender-level" team again is to ride out this season, sign an elite FA (or 2 very solid FAs) with the available cap space, draft at least ONE player who can step in and play (PF or SG), bring back RA and KG at no more than $5M each (if they don't want it, let them go or pursue a sign-and-trade for a player of value) and address the center position. Our bench next season should be: AB, Pietrus, Moore, JJJ, RA, KG, Bass, Jeff Green, Stiemsma.  PP and Rondo are the only two on the team today who might be in line to start next season.  We need to get a center via FA, draft a PF and SG and we'll be ok going forward. And finally, we will have enough young and old bench pieces to package next season in a trade to shore up an area that may show itself next year.

Rondo's value has nose dived because he tossed the ball at a ref?? Give me a break... Arenas brandished a gun and yet the Magic traded Rashad Lewis for him...Kobe was accused of rape years ago... do you think that most all teams in the league wouldnt have traded for him??

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

[QUOTE]Why cant the Celtics rebuild around Rondo? Why? Why? Why?
    Posted by DeweyCBoston[/QUOTE]

Because the Cs were built and he just happened to be there not the other way around..... he is at best a bit player when surrounded by great players.... as the Knicks coach said last year "Let's see him play in Minnesota", e.g. with no great talent... the problem is that now Minnesota now has more talent including the point guard with the same initials......  Rondo is not a player to build around, he is a player that has happened to play with some great players and that had any number of other players been playing with the BIG 3 over the past several years not only would have won a title but would have likely won more than one.....

Rondo is like all great players well less unless of course you subtract his inability to do some of the most basic things that the great players can do.. .then you end up with an average player... and that is why you cannot build around him.....

the notion that Rondo is an all-star is an absolute joke..... Irving who will be the rookie of the year is a much better player.... not to mention there is no need to have 3 point guards... there are a dozen other players in the eastern conference that are better players, way better players, than Rondo.... I am not sure of whom he has pictures but I think it is a joke that he is an all-star......

Sections
Shortcuts