DANNY HAS THE LEVERAGE, JUST NEEDS TO USE IT CORRECTLY

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from FL33178. Show FL33178's posts

DANNY HAS THE LEVERAGE, JUST NEEDS TO USE IT CORRECTLY

Danny still has the leverage if he uses it wisely; He can make his final offer to the Clippers, if they say no, he says no deal.  He then buys out Pierce, Garnett will then retire amd Doc can't coach for three years.  Danny will then use the available cap space ( from the Pierce buyout and Garnett retirement ) to try and get his own players that he wants.  The Clippers won't be able to get Doc and then probably lose out on Chris Paul.  Danny has the leverage, but needs to know how to use it...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Re: DANNY HAS THE LEVERAGE, JUST NEEDS TO USE IT CORRECTLY

DA cant make KG retire and he still would have to pay DOcs contract, even though its highly unlikely DA could allow Doc to coach here.

Both sides have leverage and Im thinking DA has less than Doc/KG

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from celtaddict. Show celtaddict's posts

Danny needs to tell doc his days are done in Boston. Also, clips deal is no good as it is reported. Danny, tell doc he will try other teams; like Denver. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdLewsBias. Show BirdLewsBias's posts

CP3 could always sign a 2 year deal because i wouldn't want to get caught in Clipperland with nothing once KG and PP leave in 2 years. Why should CP3 trust the Clippers to do anything smart when they've squandered lottery pick after lottery pick

Ainge holds all the cards in my opinion. I would just turn my attention to Shaw and let the Clippers call back with a offer I like. If not, everyone needs to go find a home...that means KG, PP, Doc and CP3.

The phone will start ringing again.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from FL33178. Show FL33178's posts

In response to Karllost's comment:

DA cant make KG retire and he still would have to pay DOcs contract, even though its highly unlikely DA could allow Doc to coach here.

I just think that if DA buys of Pierce, then KG will retire on his own and DOC will have no face to try to return to coaching this team, so he will just quit and go get a gig with ESPN

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

In response to FL33178's comment:

I just think that if DA buys of Pierce, then KG will retire on his own and DOC will have no face to try to return to coaching this team, so he will just quit and go get a gig with ESPN

I agree with what youre saying as a likelihood... because it seems logical. 

Still, either side can play hardball and make nba life miserable for the other.  I would think hard feelings have already developed and DA, based upon his playing days, is fairly emotional type. Not far fetched to see a stalemate and bitterness creep into this quickly.

DA is probably embarrassed already with what Doc pulled.  If all sides decided to push it to the limit.. DA is in the biggest mess.. An old KG who doesnt want to be here getting paid big $$ and a HC who doesnt want to be here, being paid big $$.... and we prob got to hire another one to boot.

Other than a new place to play and coach, wheres the downside for Doc and KG economically?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdLewsBias. Show BirdLewsBias's posts

Still, either side can play hardball and make nba life miserable for the other.  I would think hard feelings have already developed and DA, based upon his playing days, is fairly emotional type. Not far fetched to see a stalemate and bitterness creep into this quickly.

DA is probably embarrassed already with what Doc pulled.  If all sides decided to push it to the limit.. DA is in the biggest mess.. An old KG who doesnt want to be here getting paid big $$ and a HC who doesnt want to be here, being paid big $$.... and we prob got to hire another one to boot.

Other than a new place to play and coach, wheres the downside for Doc and KG economically?

Uh, the downside is KG wants to go where Doc is coaching and Ainge isn't going to settle on letting Doc out of 3 years without something valuable coming back to the C's. KG could retire and Doc could go to broadcasting...but is that really what they want to do?

The person or team with no downside in this entire scenario is Ainge and the Celtics.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

I think Danny is playing it perfectly.  The Clippers are in more of a rush than Danny is.  If Doc and KG aren't signed by July 1, CP3 is going to really starting thinking maybe these guys are not coming and that will make him entertain other offers (especially those with DH12).  That's no skin off DA.

DA should inform Shaw that if the job becomes available, which is a 99% certainty, the job is his.  However, DA should not do too much on the coaching search because that might give Doc leverage if he were ever to come back and challenge the Celtics non-compete clause.  Doc could claim that he was really considering returning but when the Celtics landed Shaw, he had no choice but to leave.  He might try to use that as an out to the non-compete with the Celtics and coach elsewhere.

As for PP, DA can waive him on June 30 or look for a trade partner now like Atlanta (if Smith agrees to sign with Boston after July 1).  Atlanta rids itself of a guy who they would lose anyway and gets a guy they can waive and pay only $5M to.  They then can have space to entertain CP3 and DH12.  DA gets a useable asset for PP OR the cap space by waiving him by June 30.  I'd much rather prefer a trade for a useable asset.

Finally, DA could just keep the band together and look to move PP and/or KG at the trade deadline.  That would more than likely cause Doc to step down and return to broadcasting at which time we can sign Shaw as the head coach.  We could still do the PP deal with Atlanta and have a front line of Smith, KG and Green which aint bad by any standards.

We'd still have Doc's non-compete and can still acquire draft picks as compensation for waiving his non-compete in the event he wanted to coach later.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from FL33178. Show FL33178's posts

In response to BirdLewsBias' comment:

Uh, the downside is KG wants to go where Doc is coaching and Ainge isn't going to settle on letting Doc out of 3 years without something valuable coming back to the C's. KG could retire and Doc could go to broadcasting...but is that really what they want to do?

The person or team with no downside in this entire scenario is Ainge and the Celtics.

DA needs to stand firm on what he wants as compensation , if the Clippers don't agree, then no deal and I would love to see them lose Chris Paul.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdLewsBias. Show BirdLewsBias's posts

In response to Petey62's comment:

I think Danny is playing it perfectly.  The Clippers are in more of a rush than Danny is.  If Doc and KG aren't signed by July 1, CP3 is going to really starting thinking maybe these guys are not coming and that will make him entertain other offers (especially those with DH12).  That's no skin off DA.

DA should inform Shaw that if the job becomes available, which is a 99% certainty, the job is his.  However, DA should not do too much on the coaching search because that might give Doc leverage if he were ever to come back and challenge the Celtics non-compete clause.  Doc could claim that he was really considering returning but when the Celtics landed Shaw, he had no choice but to leave.  He might try to use that as an out to the non-compete with the Celtics and coach elsewhere.

As for PP, DA can waive him on June 30 or look for a trade partner now like Atlanta (if Smith agrees to sign with Boston after July 1).  Atlanta rids itself of a guy who they would lose anyway and gets a guy they can waive and pay only $5M to.  They then can have space to entertain CP3 and DH12.  DA gets a useable asset for PP OR the cap space by waiving him by June 30.  I'd much rather prefer a trade for a useable asset.

Finally, DA could just keep the band together and look to move PP and/or KG at the trade deadline.  That would more than likely cause Doc to step down and return to broadcasting at which time we can sign Shaw as the head coach.  We could still do the PP deal with Atlanta and have a front line of Smith, KG and Green which aint bad by any standards.

We'd still have Doc's non-compete and can still acquire draft picks as compensation for waiving his non-compete in the event he wanted to coach later.

Exactly Petey! Hang up the phone and wait it out.

Yes, the non-compete issue is valid and Doc could use it BUT remember Doc and Ainge may have already spoken. If Doc isn't showing up for draftee workouts, day to day business...then what is he doing?

There is no rush to do anything. I believe it will work itself out after the Finals and around the Draft.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

If DA ties Docs hands, who will coach the C's? Cant see Doc coming back so his contract will have to be paid. KG might retire, then again, he might not.. He has big $$ due and a no trade clause.

Theres chips on both sides but to think the C's have no downside just isnt true.  When discussing  downside, examine the worsee case scenerio.... Doc isnt fired or traded but DA cant allow him to coach the Celtics so he gets paid to do nothing.... KG stays here, gets his big $$ and ties up the C's cap room.. Chemistry will likely worsen on the team.... We're forced to hire another HC and pay him too..

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from cabutan. Show cabutan's posts

Just ironing but the clips seems like is a done deal...bye doc.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

I agree with many of you guys. To settle for Jordan and a draft pick for KG and Doc would be terrible negotiating on Danny's part. 

He has to do better than that here. Or walk away.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdLewsBias. Show BirdLewsBias's posts

Ok, so worse case scenario. Doc gets paid but is Doc going to sit out for 3 years...I doubt it. At some point the C's will recoup his value in picks. Doc not coaching when he wants to coach is a downside for him.

KG doesn't want to play somewhere else, especially LA if he knows Doc or CP3 will not be there. He may come back to the C's if the right hire was made...no guarantees there. No downside to the C's because he retires and that cap space is available.

The only downside I see is if the C's get Jordan, #1 and PP isn't traded. So in my eyes all that is controlled by Ainge and the Celtics. He's not dealing with any FAs in this scenario...everyone is signed by the C's.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

If DA ties Docs hands, who will coach the C's? Cant see Doc coming back so his contract will have to be paid. KG might retire, then again, he might not.. He has big $$ due and a no trade clause.

Theres chips on both sides but to think the C's have no downside just isnt true.  When discussing  downside, examine the worsee case scenerio.... Doc isnt fired or traded but DA cant allow him to coach the Celtics so he gets paid to do nothing.... KG stays here, gets his big $$ and ties up the C's cap room.. Chemistry will likely worsen on the team.... We're forced to hire another HC and pay him too..

You better believe there is a big downside for the C's, which you just explained perfectly.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from gman101019. Show gman101019's posts

It seems that DA has already given up on getting bledsoe out of this deal, so hes made the biggest concession, its time for the clippers to do the same or no deal. Jordan, 2 first round picks and terry/lee contract. Take it or leave it. If they leave it the clippers prob lose in first or second round next year and lose cp3 too. So in that sense Da does have leverage.

This has really become a sht storm. With that said,  Da has to realize that if this trade doesnt go thru, whats the worst thing that can happen OTHER than akwardness? 

Scenario 1. They all return for one more year and then they all retire together. We get to see PP/KG retire as celtics. We get a lot of salary off the books.

Scenario 2- We explore a trade at deadline. We may even get a better deal too at that point.

Scenario 3- doc quits because of this mess and goes to broadcasting, we buy out pp and kg retires. Again cap relief.

So DA really cant go wrong, unless he accepts this crappy package from the clippers, of jordan and 1 first round pick. If he can get jordan, 2 first round picks and rids himself of terry or lees contract. That is a fair deal for both parties.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Ok, so worse case scenario. Doc gets paid but is Doc going to sit out for 3 years...I doubt it. At some point the C's will recoup his value in picks. Doc not coaching when he wants to coach is a downside for him.

KG doesn't want to play somewhere else, especially LA if he knows Doc or CP3 will not be there. He may come back to the C's if the right hire was made...no guarantees there. No downside to the C's because he retires and that cap space is available.

The only downside I see is if the C's get Jordan, #1 and PP isn't traded. So in my eyes all that is controlled by Ainge and the Celtics. He's not dealing with any FAs in this scenario...everyone is signed by the C's.

You cant use the premise of worse case scenerio, then make risky assumptions in your favor.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdLewsBias. Show BirdLewsBias's posts

Once Ainge declares the rebuilding has started, it will be musical chairs and everyone will be scrambling for a seat somewhere and with that thought he is the one that determines how many chairs are in the room.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

CP3 could always sign a 2 year deal because i wouldn't want to get caught in Clipperland with nothing once KG and PP leave in 2 years. Why should CP3 trust the Clippers to do anything smart when they've squandered lottery pick after lottery pick

Ainge holds all the cards in my opinion. I would just turn my attention to Shaw and let the Clippers call back with a offer I like. If not, everyone needs to go find a home...that means KG, PP, Doc and CP3.

The phone will start ringing again.

No Shaw thank you.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

I don't think DA would be in the biggest mess. The Clips are in far worse shape. We know were the Cs stand as a team. Not good. The Clips believe they are contenders, not pretenders. If they don't do a deal, they end up losing more than they bargained for. If a deal gets done, it benefits the Cs sooner for rebuilding rather than later. If not this deal, another will happen. Anyway you slice it, DA and the Cs will in the end be the long term winners. KG and PP are not walking back through those doors, (at least as viable starters). If any deal helps the Cs get younger and more athletic, in my mind they win.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdLewsBias. Show BirdLewsBias's posts

You cant use the premise of worse case scenerio, then make risky assumptions in your favor.

Well we don't know what anyone WILL DO as of now so all we can do is make assumptions. The worse thing in your mind is for things to stay status quo for anther year. That's no so bad because Ainge could still make a deal at teh deadline that would be better than what the Clips offered. In addition he could let everyone walk next year and get a ton of cap space back.

I'm not sure why you see such bad scenarios from all the options Ainge has. Just don't take on a huge contract and a underperforming player.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Well we don't know what anyone WILL DO as of now so all we can do is make assumptions. The worse thing in your mind is for things to stay status quo for anther year. That's no so bad because Ainge could still make a deal at teh deadline that would be better than what the Clips offered. In addition he could let everyone walk next year and get a ton of cap space back.

I'm not sure why you see such bad scenarios from all the options Ainge has. Just don't take on a huge contract and a underperforming player.

Never said all DA's options are bad. Rather, Im disagreeing with the concept the Celtics have no downside in this mess and pointed out my reasoning. 

If everyone stands pat we're left with Docs contract (cant imagine DA allowing Doc to coach the Cs), no head coach and KGs big contract.  Pierce gets bought out and we're left with a weaker team and a difficult financial situation to rebuild.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

DA needs to stand firm on what he wants as compensation , if the Clippers don't agree, then no deal and I would love to see them lose Chris Paul.

Chris Paul won't resign with the Clippers if they don't hire Doc or another good coach.  Doc isn't the only coach available that they could hire but it has to be someone that Paul likes and respects. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from hondorondo. Show hondorondo's posts

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from hondorondo. Show hondorondo's posts

Petey truly understands the situation. Danny should wait for the Clippers (or another team) to make the call and take Doc and Garnett. If this happens, the Celtics proceed with rebuilding based on cap issues, the draft, and players available. If nobody calls, Danny should expert Doc and Garnett to honor their contracts. Either way, I think the C's are in good shape because in the second scenario, Doc will not want to retun thus initiating a highly likely retirement from Garnett. As another poster stated, we cannot make Garnett retire but I think Doc leaving would add increase the possibility substantially. In the event Garnett does not retire, I believe beyond any doubt he will always give his best effort, with Doc as coach or not, when he steps on the court.

[/QUOTE]

Sections
Shortcuts