Danny Pulled a Fast One on the Ruskie

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

Danny Pulled a Fast One on the Ruskie

KG and PP were in visable decline for the last three years.  We saw flashes of brilliance from the future Hall of Famers but the legs, the consistency, the efficiency was clearly fading.  When age finally catches up, ability declines rapidly.  They'll be 38 next year.  I think both of them are done. finished. through. kaput. all she wrote.  Danny got rid of them just in time.

KG's PER went from 25th best PER in the NBA at 20.61 in the 2010-2011 season, to 40th last year and this year he is a miserable 300th PER in the league.

Likewise, PP went from 33 in 2011 to to 45 in 2012 to 163 so far this year. 

Perhaps the biggest steal in the trade was unloading Terry's awful contract.  BTW, Terry's PER  went from 109 to 128 to 239 to 296 this year.  He stunk with us and he is worse now, especially at $5+M/yr.

Anyone who questions the trade that netted us 3 first round picks and a big expiring contract for three washed-up, over-paid players is nuts.  It was the trade steal of the decade+ if not the best trade in Celtics history. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris33. Show chris33's posts

Re: Danny Pulled a Fast One on the Ruskie

We also got the opportunity to switch draft positions with the Nets in 2017.

How bad are the Nets going to be in 2017 with no first round draft picks over the next few years?

The greatest trade in Celtics history is....

Auerbach dealt the first and 13th picks in the 1980 NBA Draft to Golden State for the third pick in the 1980 Draft and four-year veteran center Robert Parish. The Warriors selected Purdue center Joe Barry Carroll with the first pick and tabbed Mississippi forward Rickey Brown 13th. The Celtics took forward Kevin McHale of Minnesota, and thus added Parish and McHale to a frontcourt that already featured Larry Bird and Cedric Maxwell. In one trade, Auerbach had acquired a frontcourt for the next decade.

http://www.nba.com/history/season/19801981.html

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheBigTicket05. Show TheBigTicket05's posts

In response to Eldunker's comment:

KG and PP were in visable decline for the last three years.  We saw flashes of brilliance from the future Hall of Famers but the legs, the consistency, the efficiency was clearly fading.  When age finally catches up, ability declines rapidly.  They'll be 38 next year.  I think both of them are done. finished. through. kaput. all she wrote.  Danny got rid of them just in time.

KG's PER went from 25th best PER in the NBA at 20.61 in the 2010-2011 season, to 40th last year and this year he is a miserable 300th PER in the league.

Perhaps the biggest steal in the trade was unloading Terry's awful contract.  BTW, Terry's PER  went from 109 to 128 to 239 to 296 this year.  He stunk with us and he is worse now, especially at $5+M/yr.

Anyone who questions the trade that netted us 3 first round picks and a big expiring contract for three washed-up, over-paid players is nuts.  It was the trade steal of the decade+ if not the best trade in Celtics history. 

+ 1

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

It was not the greatest trade in Celts history - acquiring Parish and McHale in one essential move will never be topped. 

That said it was a terrific trade by Ainge, we can argue till the cows come home if we should have blown it up a couple years prior. 

I'm ok with when we did it, after all the year prior to the trade we had taken the Heat to seven games. 

At any rate Ainge managed to get it done and get us some value. And yes, getting rid of Terry was very nice.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheBigTicket05. Show TheBigTicket05's posts

In response to chris33's comment:

We also got the opportunity to switch draft positions with the Nets in 2017.

How bad are the Nets going to be in 2017 with no first round draft picks over the next few years?

The greatest trade in Celtics history is....

Auerbach dealt the first and 13th picks in the 1980 NBA Draft to Golden State for the third pick in the 1980 Draft and four-year veteran center Robert Parish. The Warriors selected Purdue center Joe Barry Carroll with the first pick and tabbed Mississippi forward Rickey Brown 13th. The Celtics took forward Kevin McHale of Minnesota, and thus added Parish and McHale to a frontcourt that already featured Larry Bird and Cedric Maxwell. In one trade, Auerbach had acquired a frontcourt for the next decade.

http://www.nba.com/history/season/19801981.html

i guess you should also consider the henderson-bias(2nd pick) trade as one of the best

"if only" bias had the opportunity to play with the big three... +3 C'ships, guaranteed!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dirty52. Show dirty52's posts

I would think the trade for Bill Russell would be your greatest trade.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Russell

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

Certainly looks like a great trade today, but realistically their two best players have been injured in DWill and BLopez.

At the end of the day, it looks like Atlanta is going to have 45+ wins anyway, so we really aren't going to realize the benefits this year. Its the unprotected 2016 and 2018. Those are GOLD.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

Depending on how things line up, the switch could just be as valuable or even more than the other first round picks.  If things turn out really well for the Celtics in the next few years, we could be like a playoff team by the 2017 season, and the Nets could be a bottom 5 team in the league with DWill getting old, Joe Johnson retired, of course KG and PP long gone and no way to replenish that talents due to no draft picks and the salary cap hell those contracts and Lopez contract put on the team.  We could get many consecutive top few picks in the draft in those years while being a rising team.

This is going to be a classic example cited for a long time of what not to do in a trade.  If you are closed, then taking on aging all-stars in their very early thirties might be a good gamble but mid to late thirties while unloading a lot of future first rounders is a disaster waiting to happen.  Ainge did a number on them and if you think it looks pretty good now, wait until those later years.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris33. Show chris33's posts

In response to R9R's comment:

Certainly looks like a great trade today, but realistically their two best players have been injured in DWill and BLopez.

At the end of the day, it looks like Atlanta is going to have 45+ wins anyway, so we really aren't going to realize the benefits this year. Its the unprotected 2016 and 2018. Those are GOLD.

Millsap has injury problems. We don't know how Atlanta will turn out.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

+1, I thought so when it happened, I know so now......Danny Ainge is a Master in the world of the NBA business deals. He will bring us back faster than anyone ever could. How fast? We shall SOON see.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdLewsBias. Show BirdLewsBias's posts

I think Ainge got over on Billy King big time. PP and KG look done but they need that Coach Killa...DWill to come back before he gets another coach fired.

The trade will not pay full dividends for at least 5 years.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

In response to RallyC's comment:

+1, I thought so when it happened, I know so now......Danny Ainge is a Master in the world of the NBA business deals. He will bring us back faster than anyone ever could. How fast? We shall SOON see.

Let's just hope we can also land a lottery player with our own pick this coming year.  Sorry to root for losing,  but we obviously are'nt a playoff calibur team...  so why not?  I am just drooling over what I have seen so far from Wiggins/Walker/Smart/Randle.  Please basketball Jesus,  make this happen...  anyone of them(I won't be picky)!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

What exactly do you suppose basketballJesus looks like?  I was trying to picture...

maybe like a young ray allen?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ANONMD08. Show ANONMD08's posts

This doesn't bother me so much the Celtics losing. One of the greatest coaches in the NBA Greg Popovich thinks the Celtics will be fine as long as they stay patient and he has the utmost regards for Brad Stevens. I would rather see a young and developing team get better than a team that has players on their way out way past their primes. I know Pierce will have #34 retired and hanging on the rafters. Both him and KG are going to th HOF one day. you can't say this is a fleece because Brooklyn wanted it now. not working for them I feel they are a better team than what they've shown but the some of the garbage teams are getting better. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris33. Show chris33's posts

In response to cole-ely's comment:

What exactly do you suppose basketballJesus looks like?  I was trying to picture...

maybe like a young ray allen?

Like this....

Or like this....

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

The Nets team doesnt look very cohesive and one has to wonder if rookie coach Jason Kidd may not be the best choice for HC... True, lots on injuries and PP/KG havent added what the Nets had hoped for,,,

Still, they they seem lost with no identity to me

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

Different topic, but IMO the reason that the Nets are failing as a team is primarily because Joe Johnson has not stepped up as the effective "go-to" guy, and PP can't anymore, hence the lack of on court symetry and identity.  

Amazingly there are 110 players this year with a higher PER than Johnson's below league average  of 12.56 and 7 with better PER just his own Brooklyn team!! 

Aditionally, not having a healthy PG doesn't help and it doesn't surprise me that Jason Kidd is way over his head.  I wouldn't be surprised if things get even worse as the season progresses and the Nets end up with a better pick than Atlanta.  

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

will you two babies start you own troll thread  - and stop polluting every single basketball discussion on here.  I think its safe to say that we're all sick of it.  

Sections
Shortcuts