Danny scares me.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Re: Danny scares me.

In Response to Re: Danny scares me.:
    In Response to Re: Danny scares me. : I don't have to wait for the season to finish to know what a terrible idea this was. If you can explain to me what good could possibly come of this, I'm all ears. If we win the title (unlikely now) it will be in spite of the tremendously stupid move, not because of it. As for "going mental." I'm a fan. I actually care enough about the team to spend/waste 20 minutes out of my day to vent about them. I'm sorry I get a little irritated when my team shoots itself in the foot. Some things you don't really need to see play out to know they are a bad idea. That's what frightens me about Danny. This is like the Grady Little move in the 2004 ALCS. Every Red Sox fan on the planet knew it was a bad idea to leave Pedro in. The one person that didn't recognize that was the only person that had control of the situation. How does he not realize this was a bad idea? Ainge's lack of foresight and good judgement scare me. He sabotaged a title contender. It's not like we are a lottery team and he can just do crazy stuff like give up the 7th pick in the draft for Sebastian Telfair. All he had to do was not screw anything up. There were no major problems with team. Common sense dictates that you leave well enogh alone unless there is a minor tweak to be made.
    Posted by df2

so if we win the title b/c the O'Neals and Baby play solid post defense and Green comes off the bench to average 15 points, play great D on LeBron/Deng/Dirk/Odom w/e we play and end the scoring droughts it will be in spite of losing Perkins?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

DF2---regarding Von Wafer as a potential back-up to PP---let's see, the guy is 6'4" 1/2 (with his shoes on), he lacks the tenacity / strength of Tony Allen or the defensive prowess / IQ of James Posey (circa 2008), he attacks the boards about as frequently as Obama (since he's already been mentioned on this post by others) attacks the deficit, and his offensive game is streaky at best. This is the guy you want to entrust backing up PP.  Pleaseeeeee!!! As other posters have already pointed out, our second unit is a major liability which has cost us games and will continue to do so in the playoffs. Getting a guy like Green will be a major boost. "Center by committee"---Shaq, Krstic, & BB (not depending on JO) will be more than sufficient to deal with the major roadblocks we will face to another banner. Those being Miami & Chicago in the East, and Spurs & Mavs in the West.  I for one believe that Orlando is not a major threat (Howard and a cast of ????) and the Lakers (who themselves lack a bench but not a headcase--(Artest)) will not make it out of the West. Danny probably saw the same thing. We need athletic perimeter players with size. Again, Green fits the bill. 'nuff said!
    Posted by henryfinkel

great post

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

In Response to Re: Danny scares me. : How did Danny "gut" the starting lineup?  He only removed one player, the only player that wasn't an allstar and replaced him with a hall of famer! Shaq is not what he used to be, but he's still better than Perk.  The Celtics are not only still the best defensive team without Perk, but they are the best offensive team too and that's because of Shaq.  They weren't the best offensive team with Perk.
    Posted by cpjohn1

He didn't gut the team.  I was responding to the mighty df2.  It was sarcasm!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

Danny scares me because he's about to sign Troy Murphy!

HAHAHA!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

In Response to Re: Danny scares me. : 1) If someone chooses to lower themselves to hurling insults at people then that's on them. I didn't make anyone do anything.  2) I'm not saying Von Wafer (playing out position) is the perfect solution at backup SF. But he's obviously no worse than Daniels. That's all I'm saying. Secondly, it would have been a lot easier to win a title with a hole at the backup SF position than with a hole at the starting center position. 3) No, I don't mean like Perk. Perk is young and has been relatively healthy. Shaq is a guy who is pushing 40 and has a recent history of breaking down.  4) No I guess I didn't "do my homework" I don't know how to say this without it sounding like a dig. But I've got better things to do than conduct research for my posts on a basketball forum. If Jeff Green is a restricted free agent, then that's news to me. But either way, he's a role player. And in order to retain him we are going to have to overpay him.  5) The idea that everyone here disagrees with my opininon is ridiculous. Not only is that clearly not the case, the Celtics are getting ripped nationally. I may be wrong, I may be right. But my opinion is certainly not in the minority. GMs and players around the league are crapping on this deal. I haven't heard anybody in the national media defend this trade. Secondly, I'm not sure what you mean. Are you implying that I do care what a bunch of strangers think of me? If that's what you want to think, knock yourself out. Was my post over the top? Probably. But I stand by my points. I don't understand how any Celtic fan can think this trade wasn't  a terrible idea. Or be concerned about Danny Ainge's competence. This does not make the Celtics a better TEAM this year. But I think this has run it's course. I was angry and wanted to vent. I did that. I don't see any point in dragging this argument out any longer
    Posted by df2

More and more people are coming around to thinking it was a good trade. And, by the way, if you don't care what people think, you wouldn't respond.  The fact that you respond to every single post that disagrees with you means you care WAY too much!!  Hope that clears it up for you.

And we ARE a better team right now than we were last week.  (NOT just my opinion)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In Response to Re: Danny scares me. : 1) If someone chooses to lower themselves to hurling insults at people then that's on them. I didn't make anyone do anything.  2) I'm not saying Von Wafer (playing out position) is the perfect solution at backup SF. But he's obviously no worse than Daniels. That's all I'm saying. Secondly, it would have been a lot easier to win a title with a hole at the backup SF position than with a hole at the starting center position. 3) No, I don't mean like Perk. Perk is young and has been relatively healthy. Shaq is a guy who is pushing 40 and has a recent history of breaking down.  4) No I guess I didn't "do my homework" I don't know how to say this without it sounding like a dig. But I've got better things to do than conduct research for my posts on a basketball forum. If Jeff Green is a restricted free agent, then that's news to me. But either way, he's a role player. And in order to retain him we are going to have to overpay him.  5) The idea that everyone here disagrees with my opininon is ridiculous. Not only is that clearly not the case, the Celtics are getting ripped nationally. I may be wrong, I may be right. But my opinion is certainly not in the minority. GMs and players around the league are crapping on this deal. I haven't heard anybody in the national media defend this trade. Secondly, I'm not sure what you mean. Are you implying that I do care what a bunch of strangers think of me? If that's what you want to think, knock yourself out. Was my post over the top? Probably. But I stand by my points. I don't understand how any Celtic fan can think this trade wasn't  a terrible idea. Or be concerned about Danny Ainge's competence. This does not make the Celtics a better TEAM this year. But I think this has run it's course. I was angry and wanted to vent. I did that. I don't see any point in dragging this argument out any longer
    Posted by df2

No b/c there IS no hole at strating Center... unless these injuries to the O'Neals are major issues in April/May... and Danny wouldn't have made these trades if he didn't think they would be ok...

We never won a title after losing our backup SF... and Green is better than Posey.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"If we win I will assume it was in spite of the trade- not because of it."

Even if Perkins remains hurt the rest of the year and doesn't play? Even if Krystic continues to average more offensive rebounds than we AS A TEAM have averaged all season? 

Look, I'm not sure I like the trade either, but there's something to be said for taking a breather with yourself and see how this plays out before you pass judgement. Heck, you can even criticize the move but still leave a slight opening that it might work out better than you thought as well. You don't know. What happens tomorrow (last day to sign more players that can play in the postseason) also matters and has to be taken into account as part of this deal. 

Ainge is also counting on Shaq's health as part of this deal. That's a big gamble as well. But if Shaq gets healthy and stays healthy, that changes the equation as well. One thing I will say is that small minds like "contrarian" who have written us in for a championship because of this trade don't know what they are talking about either. We have to see how this works out on the field before we'll know. It was a gamble that looks good for the longer term health of the franchise, I don't think anyone can contest that. Whether it helps us this year - we won't know it for a few months. 

The worst thing about this trade is that occasionally Dudder (the troll) took a break from trolling on Rondo to trolling on Perkins. Now he'll only come in here to troll on Rondo. Great. But, having him on ignore helps. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

The Magic made changes after losing to the Lakers in 2009. They had their sights on the Lakers in 2010. What happened? 

If you want to get to the Finals you have to win your conference first. In the east you have Lebron and Bosh, Melo and Stoudamire, and Deng and Boozer. Those 6 guys can be guarded by Jeff Green. Enough said!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

The Magic made changes after losing to the Lakers in 2009. They had their sights on the Lakers in 2010. What happened?  If you want to get to the Finals you have to win your conference first. In the east you have Lebron and Bosh, Melo and Stoudamire, and Deng and Boozer. Those 6 guys can be guarded by Jeff Green. Enough said!
    Posted by P34

True

The Cavs added Shaq last year b/c they felt they would be facing the Magic in the East finals... oops... gotta gte by the Celtics 1st.

The Celtics are now better equipped to face 5 of the best 6 teams in the East

They are better equipped to face 3 of the best 4 teams in the west

Danny played those 80% odds we'd run into more teams with less size/girth @ C but more length and speed at the wings..

He also saw and East conference where the best 3 teams besides us of the next half decade will have James, Melo and Deng... we now have Green to counter that.

AND Perk was hurt 2-3 weeks.. AND turned down an extension... AND we can now make a max contract offer to Howard...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoctorCO. Show DoctorCO's posts

df2,

Let me break this down for you. First your statement about this being the 03 sox. WRONG. Grady LEFT PEDRO IN WHEN HE SHOULD HAVE CHANGED THE PITCHER. You say this team was great the way it was. Well one of its biggest pieces which brought you to 40 wins IS GONE IN QUIS DANILES...So how is danny going to take care of that. He needs that allen-posey d guy off the bench. NEXT. HOW WELL DID THE CS do WITHOUT PERK?.....SHAQ played very well and has HUGE MOTIVATION. to GO UP AGAINST KOBE. So I THINK HE WILL BE RERLATIVELY HEALTHY for the rest of the year. You can talk about perk being tough..LOL..fine..PERK SUCKED AS A REBOUNDER. Why did the fakers manhandle us..PERK coudnt rebound. He can play all the tough D in the world. When the shots still go in and perk complains and gets a T. would you like to see that. OR would you like to see howard miss a SHOT AND SHAQ GET THE BOARD. REBOUNDS WIN..LIMITING your opp. times to score..is better THAN ANY DEFENSE.
    PERK WAS ALSO A PRODUCT OF BEING WITH A HALL OF FAMER..Look at manny when he left without ortiz..1 good half season..then....Perk was not bill russel. I know you had trot nixon feelings for him..BUT LET US ALL REMEMBER DIRT DOGS SUCK...Ill TAKE TALENT ANY DAY OF THE WEEK.
    Next with green boston can go athletic against the knicks, heat magic, SA and DAL...TEAMS WHO GIVE BOSTON ISSUE..And they can use green against kardashian of the lakers. WHO WOULD YOU WANT ON KARDASHIAN..GREEN OR von WAFER. And at the center postion. LOOK AT IT AS A TEAM...SHAQ,Kristich,JO...If those 3 guys give you 16 points and 14 boards and 4 blocks...THATS BETTER THAN PERK ON HIS BEST DAY..and you have 18 fouls..PUT BYNUM AND HOWARD ON THE LINE...18 is better than 6. And kristich can help rondo on the penetrate and pass outs he does..
    SO DUDE YOUR TEAM DIDNT SHOOT ITS SELF...YOUR TEAM WITH MURPHY, POWE djones maybe is better than 2008.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoctorCO. Show DoctorCO's posts

df2,

I think also with perk..That alot of the national guys like perk. WE ALL LIKE PERK. he could have gone the way of desagnia djopp. ..But he didnt..And you also have to look at this. PErks other knee is injuired..Along with a bad shoulder..What happens if he gets injured..would you take that risk..

NATIONALLY you cant take those guys serious about the Cs. They all have there NY man love stuff going. And they say perk as a person is a loss for the cs...BUT WHAT ABOUT PERK AS A PLAYER....These guys cant see that...And it helps them for there hatered of boston. ..Remember brussard,smith,scott,rose all dont have nice things to say about boston. So dont take what they say as word.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

In Response to Danny scares me.:
    The way a meth addict watching my children would. Sure it might work out a few times. But eventually it's going to take a really bad turn. I watched Danny on Celtics Pre-game the other night. I've got to give him props. After flipping off Celtics nation and trading away one of this teams biggest strengths, essentially gutting the team, he had the nerve to show his face on TV and try to explain the trade. You would never see Belichick do that. So again, at least he had the decency to try to explain himself. I was willing to listen. Maybe there were contractual issues or chemistry problems. Or some sort of sane rational reason he chose to do this that I hadn't thought of. Then he opened his mouth. And it was terrifying. It wasn't bravery that compelled this guy to go on TV. It was insanity. This guy is clearly nuts. He honestly believes this trade made the Celtics a better team. Something else dawned on me while watching this interview. I just don't think this guy is smart enough to do this job. I've always suspected that, given some of his past moves, he was more lucky than good. That he wasn't that bright. This trade and susequent interview kind of solidified that theory for me in a big way. This guy is starting to make me nervous in the way that Pitinio made me nervous. He just derailed the Celtics (who, when healthy were the clear cut favorite) title chances this year. What's next? I just don't see any way this guy can rebuild this team once the big three are gone. I predict a lot of spinning of the wheels. You know, trades just for the sake of making trades and no real direction. Hopefully I'm wrong. The other troubling thing for me is the way the Celtics' seem to have control of the local media. They went from scratching thier heads to scolding us fans and calling us emotional all within 24 hours. Emotion has nothing to do with it. This trade was nuts! It's not like Perk was a fan favorite. I wasn't crazy about the guy. The scowling. The giant bullseye he painted on his back for the officials. But I also realized what he meant to this team and the advantage he provided us vs other big teams. Or even small teams like the Heat that had trouble dealing with the size advantage we had. But fans can't have critical,rational thought without being dismissed by the shill media as being "emotional" What a load of condescending BS! I remeber what it was like when Gavitt ran the team. Year after year he would pocket the money and field an awful team. Nobody ever called him out for it. Nobody. The only person that ever uttuered a peep in our defense was Bill Simmons. Not exactly local media. Now, the Celtics make one of the worst trades ever and the media is in full spin mode. As if they are the Celtics' PR department. I mean seriously, has this ever happened? Has anybody ever done this? In the history of sports? Had a team that was the favorite to win the title sabotaged their team midseason for absolutely no reason? Turned one their key strengths into a glaring weakness to address a problem that didn' really exist? This trade was ground breakingly stupid. I get it. On paper this looks like a good trade. Stats wise, Green is probably a better player. But that's obviously not what this about. It's about what Perk meant to this team in terms of winning and creating matchup problems. It's not going to mean one damn thing that we have a 15 PPG backup small forward when Dwight Howard or Gasol are running amok on us. Or when Wade and James are slashing to the basket at will because there is no interior defense. Or when we are betting outrebounded by a team with no size. It's insane If we waste another year of the Big Three's prime and don't win a title this year I will never forgive Danny.
    Posted by df2

Pinpoint analysis. Kudos!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

In Response to Danny scares me. : Pinpoint analysis. Kudos!
    Posted by DaCeltics

“We still have size,” said Celtics coach Doc Rivers. “I’m almost laughing at people that say we don’t have size. Last time I checked, Jermaine O’Neal and Shaq and Krstic, they’re pretty big. It’s almost laughable to me that people keep saying you’ve lost size. I think we may still be the biggest team in the NBA.”

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

Danny didn't just trade Perk for Jeff Green, the Celts also got a 7-footer who can shoot from the outside. Shaq, Krstic, and JO not size enough?

Shaq is healthy. If you believe what they say about Shaq being injured then you're gullible. There are no back to back games in the playoffs. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

In Response to Re: Danny scares me. : What's wrong with Von Wafer backing up Pierce?   And as far as not being re-signing Perk: I get that he was probably not coming back next year. I would still rather keep him and have a legit shot at a title. Besides, Green is going to be a free agent next year and he is also looking for a huge contract. Is he really a guy you want to pay big money to as your SF of the future when PP retires? Green is a nice player, but he's never going to be an All-Star. Why waste money overpaying for him?  I just don't get this trade on any level. Unless Danny is someohow planning on taking a run at Dwight Howard. Even then, it doesn't really explain throwing this year.
    Posted by df2

Kudos again on the Green analysis.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from paul0. Show paul0's posts

In Response to Re: Danny scares me. : Slap that Puffdaddy around some.  He did show up in time to give us our victory tonight.  He was hoping we would lose so that he could spout off how the Lakers beat them the night before and the Celtics couldn't handle them.  I am sure he thinks his team is over the hump again. Of course everytime time they win a couple the Faker trolls and the media start talking about how they have flipped the switch.  Of course we are still waiting on them to beat a real team other than half the Celtics squad.  Puff, we are just being realists here.
    Posted by OneOnOne

We'll be here in your grill for the rest of the season.  Lakers have seen this act before and know how it ends.  Refer to season 09 and 10 for more information.  Here is a potential fly in the Celtic ointment, if the Knicks get CP3 next year they will be a major force in the division. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

In Response to Re: Danny scares me. : We'll be here in your grill for the rest of the season.  Lakers have seen this act before and know how it ends.  Refer to season 09 and 10 for more information.  Here is a potential fly in the Celtic ointment, if the Knicks get CP3 next year they will be a major force in the division. 
    Posted by paul0

1.  Paul is not a FA until 2012
    2.  They signed Billups through next year
    3.  There will be a lockout, so it's all moot

thanks for playing!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

Posted by df2

Once again in the minority, as MANY other people have chimed in here.  Still say MOST Celtics fans think this is a bad trade??  Read the comments after yours.  Again, you are entitled to your opinion, but around here you need a lot more facts than you have provided.  Have a nice day!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrJohnnyMost. Show MrJohnnyMost's posts

OK, I loved Perk too. My initial impression was identical to the original post that began this thread. Rage!

Nearly a week has passed. I still don't like it, but I can see it now.

It's not insanity, just coldhearted business. Whether it'll work or not remains to be seen. It could...? ... or not.

Perk was a role player who wanted star money. He may have peaked already and was facing uncertain health. We knew he couldn't jump and had terrible hands. But he was big, tough, worked his tail off, and was a great team mate.

We can definitely survive the loss of his skills. How much it will effect the team's spirit and personality is unknown. These guys are "pro's," right??? We'll see. They've got an excuse now and someone to blame it on. Or they can rise above it and be even better.

I'm not big on Green, but everyone seems to think he can play. I think Baby already does everything Green is supposed to be able to do.

We better load up on some journeyman 7 footers the way Jordan's Bulls used to do. They had an army of bums to send out there. Cartwright, Longley, Wennington, Blop, ... on and on. It worked and could again.

Sections
Shortcuts