Danny should trade Paul,and build the team around Rondo.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

Re: Danny should trade Paul,and build the team around Rondo.

I cannot see us signing Baby unless it's for a sign-and-trade for another player.  We are seriously lacking at the PF position and it needs to get addressed.  We have an older PF in KG who has turned into a SF in a PF's body.  KG is nothing more than a strictly jump shooting, above average defending PF now.  His backup, Baby is a skilled player who, unfortunately lacks the size to be an effective scorer and rebounder down low.  Offensively, he has transformed into a mid-range shooting PF too and, defensively, is more likely to take a charge than effectively defend.  The problem with Baby is that he can't take charges on the guys he defends so that becomes an issue because alot of players can simply shoot over him.  He's an above average help defender by getting in the paint to take charges.

As for Jeff Green, the Celtics will make the $5.9 qualifying offer which gives them the right to match if he gets a larger offer from another team.

I think the Celtics need to search for a "starting" SG.  As much respect as Doc has for the Big 3, I think he has TOO MUCH respect for them.  I think Doc needs to adjust and make Ray a backup who can provide some bench scoring on fewer minutes.  He can still play alot of minutes with the starters.  I just think Ray is no longer an NBA starter at the SG.  I'd love to see a 2nd unit backcourt of Delonte and Ray.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from srinivasa. Show srinivasa's posts

It's been said countless times that an NBA team takes on the personality or characteristics of its best player. See what happened in 2007 when KG arrived, the Celtics tradition got revamped. Team, Defense and Intensity.
    What will happen if Rondo becomes the face of the franchise?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jump-ball-overtime. Show Jump-ball-overtime's posts

The real world:

Doc leaves,
    KG retires because Doc leaves as he has stated.
    Pierce stays a Celtic.
    Rondo is tradable, especially with the attitude issue at the end of the year.
    Baby and Green are second string players and nothing to build around.
    Ray has some star power at the box office
    Everyone else is expendable.

Enjoy what is left of the year because like the end of the Bird era, it will be a long time until the team is competitive again. The team will not be bad enough to get lottery picks, and there are no studs to trade for other studs.

... and there may not be a season next year.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

In Response to Re: Danny should trade Paul,and build the team around Rondo.:
    [QUOTE]This age thing is really overrated..  PP was a stud vs the KNicks,,, now hes old. Ray has lit up the post season but had a bad game 2 against the Heat...now hes old too... ditto KG Look at Pau Gasol, who I consider the real heart & soul of the Lakers... hes have a bad stretch and getting booed in LA... short sighted fans imo This team can still win this year and next.. after that, there will be a big change...we all know that As far as building the new Celtics around ROndo... Im just not sure. My gut tells me no. TOo inconsistent.... when one aspect of your game is suffering, real stars can contribute in many other ways...  If PPs shot isnt falling, he can still draw fouls & play tough defense.. IF Ray isnt hitting he still commands respect and can be a decoy, stretches the defense...  he can play tough 1on1 D on most... If KG isnt getting to the boards... he can still drain jumpers, set picks, play great team defense If Rondo isnt aggressive & creating shots for teammates...what does he fall back on??  Not much of a shot, even drawing fouls (which is rare) shooting 50% FT's, doesnt play tough man on man defense So to build a team around someone, they have to either be absolutely dominant at something or have a strong, well rounded game to contribute meaningfully in other areas.. Setting aside the old guys, nobody on the C's fits the mold imo
    Posted by Karllost[/QUOTE]

Great Post, Karl.  Amazing how many folks want to "bench Ray", again.  Shoots the best percentage of anyone for a bunch of games, then has one bad game and he's too old and should come off the bench.  Do we remember the guy from game 1 who scored 25 or do we remember the guy that torched the Knicks?  

Same for Ray and KG.  They will be back in this next game, folks will love them again until they have one bad game....and we'll be back to the "they're too old".  There's just a knee jerk reaction from a few of our fellow fans on this board that's very frustrating to hear.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MinnesotaCelticsFan. Show MinnesotaCelticsFan's posts

Ray is one of the members of the greatest team of the decade. The 2008 Celtics are the greatest team of the decade.

Ray is old, and he may not be able to guard Wade, but it he can get Wade to guard him, look out!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

In Response to Re: Danny should trade Paul,and build the team around Rondo.:
    [QUOTE]I cannot see us signing Baby unless it's for a sign-and-trade for another player.  We are seriously lacking at the PF position and it needs to get addressed.  We have an older PF in KG who has turned into a SF in a PF's body.  KG is nothing more than a strictly jump shooting, above average defending PF now.  His backup, Baby is a skilled player who, unfortunately lacks the size to be an effective scorer and rebounder down low.  Offensively, he has transformed into a mid-range shooting PF too and, defensively, is more likely to take a charge than effectively defend.  The problem with Baby is that he can't take charges on the guys he defends so that becomes an issue because alot of players can simply shoot over him.  He's an above average help defender by getting in the paint to take charges. As for Jeff Green, the Celtics will make the $5.9 qualifying offer which gives them the right to match if he gets a larger offer from another team. I think the Celtics need to search for a "starting" SG.  As much respect as Doc has for the Big 3, I think he has TOO MUCH respect for them.  I think Doc needs to adjust and make Ray a backup who can provide some bench scoring on fewer minutes.  He can still play alot of minutes with the starters.  I just think Ray is no longer an NBA starter at the SG.  I'd love to see a 2nd unit backcourt of Delonte and Ray.
    Posted by Petey62[/QUOTE]

Petey, before you write Ray off (which a number of people like to do after one bad game), please remember this:

1. Ray is tied for the leading scorer on our team at 20 points per game (on fewer shots than Paul - and no, I'm not saying he's BETTER than Paul, but Ray is extremely important to the starting unit).
    2. Ray's 20 ppg is up from 16.5 ppg in the regular season!
    3. Ray has a 2.3 assist to turnover ration, second ONLY to Rondo on the team (Rondo is at 2.6, I believe)
    4. Ray has shot 57% from the field in the playoffs and 64% from 3 point land (tops in the league).
    5. In game one, Ray was the ONLY player over 20 points.  And, he did it efficiently - 9 for 13 from the field; 5 for 8 from 3 point land.  Imagine if he had some help that game?  We'd be leaving Miami 1 and 1.
    6. Ray averages 4.3 rebounds per game  in the playoffs.

Now - remember ALL of this is INCLUDING his one bad game (Game 2 against Miami).  

So, please help me with some stats that support your view that he should move to the bench and please tell me how the starting unit will replace this production?   

Instead, I think Ray should simply move to guarding the point guard and Rondo should guard the more athletic guard on the opposition (Rondo on Wade and Ray on Chalmers or Bibby).  Saves Ray on defense and puts a quicker defender on Wade, but keeps all those points in the game for us.

Thoughts?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MinnesotaCelticsFan. Show MinnesotaCelticsFan's posts

There is no one under thirty on the Celtics, that anyone should build a team around.

Rondo is an imature child that cost the team home court advantage.

No matter what the Celtics do, they will not be a contender for many years after the big three disband.

Sections
Shortcuts