Darko Milicic considering leaving Celtics to return to Europe 4 hours ago

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Darko Milicic considering leaving Celtics to return to Europe 4 hours ago

It appears a roster spot may be opening up!

Ref: yahoo sports: 

Darko Milicic is leaning strongly toward leaving the Boston Celtics for the season and returning to Europe to be with his ill mother, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Milicic, the No. 2 overall pick in the famed 2003 NBA draft, didn't travel with the Celtics to Detroit this weekend, and sources say that he's close to deciding to leave the NBA for the season to be with his ill mother in Serbia. After failing to play since opening night, After failing to play since opening night, Milicic has also been frustrated with his lack of a role with the Celtics, sources said.Darko Milicic (Reuters)

If Milicic, 27, leaves the Celtics less than a month into his one-year contract, it could ultimately spell the end of a disappointing NBA career that has included stops in Detroit, Orlando, Memphis, Minnesota and briefly, Boston.

In recent years, Milcic has strongly considered a permanent return to Europe. Leaving the Celtics now could ultimately push him toward that phase of his career.

Boston coach Doc Rivers met with Milicic recently and told him to take time to make a decision on his family and future, sources said. Milicic had been productive in the preseason, but has fallen behind Jason Collins in the Celtics' rotation.

The Celtics had considered signing free-agent forward Kenyon Martin this offseason, but ultimately chose Collins, Chris Wilcox and Milicic over him. Some Celtics' veterans have been pushing for the team to sign Martin.

Boston hasn't completely ruled out an eventual conversation with Martin about a role on the team, but the most likely scenario would be for the Celtics to hold onto the roster spot and see who else might become available in the next couple of months.

The Celtics have several similar forward-types to Martin, and would likely try to exhaust all possibilities among backup centers.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Re: Darko Milicic considering leaving Celtics to return to Europe 4 hours ago

Wow! I wonder which Celtics have been petitioning DA to sign Martin?

The Celtics had considered signing free-agent forward Kenyon Martin this offseason, but ultimately chose Collins, Chris Wilcox and Milicic over him. Some Celtics' veterans have been pushing for the team to sign Martin.

Boston hasn't completely ruled out an eventual conversation with Martin about a role on the team, but the most likely scenario would be for the Celtics to hold onto the roster spot and see who else might become available in the next couple of months.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

The Celtics don't have a lot of guys "similar to Martin.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Snake oil - I agree! In his prime KM was a beast. Instant energy from an outstanding above the rim player! The question is how much does he has left in the tank?

I am guessing the Cs hold onto the roster spot (if DM goes home), as the article above speculates.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from basketbert. Show basketbert's posts

They "ultimately chose Collins, Chris Wilcox and Milicic over him"?

So what was up with Martin? Injured? How can one choose those guys over Martin? No offense to Wilcox, he's decent, but still.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from basketbert. Show basketbert's posts

Didn't realize the guy's 35. Sigh...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In response to basketbert's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Also his attitude has been in question. Not that he has  a bad attitude per se but he was so intense that he was having difficulty with team mates.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

K-Mart stats - 2011-2012 season with LA Clippers:

42-games, 22-mins, 4.3 rebs, and 5.2 pts. per game.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from basketbert. Show basketbert's posts

In response to snakeoil123's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Also his attitude has been in question. Not that he has  a bad attitude per se but he was so intense that he was having difficulty with team mates.

[/QUOTE]

You mean KG 2.0?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

From K-Mart himself:

The NBA season is nearly a week old, and Kenyon Martin doesn't know why he still can't find a job in the league. He helped the Los Angeles Clippers during their playoff run last season. His knee issues of the past no longer seem to trouble him. And he's even willing to take a contract for the league minimum.

Kenyon Martin played in 42 games for the Clippers last season. (Getty Images)So why hasn't any team called wanting to sign him?

"There is a notion about me that is not accurate at all – I don't know who started it or where it came from – that people can't control me," Martin told Yahoo! Sports. "I don't understand. Have I had my issues like a lot of other people? Yeah. But I'm getting back that people think they can't control me, that if I don't play I'm going to explode, or I can turn a locker room.

"In 12 years there was not one day where I told one guy to dislike anybody. If you ask guys who I've played with that know me, they know what it is and know I'm about winning basketball games and competing."

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from basketbert. Show basketbert's posts

Well, Martin instead of Milicic seems a no-brainer to me. Some guys on our team could use a kick in the behind sometimes....we would have two doing the kicking!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

can someone walk me through this process of "they ultimately chose jason collins over darko in the rotation" thing?????  really?  why is that?

so darko really wasn't hurt all this time?  this has to go down as yet another doc rivers talent mismanagement by way of making rotations based on birth certificates and not what people can give.

darko is/was middling at best but a 7 foot body who proved he would rebound and get a couple of things done if given 15-20 minutes a night.  collins has not done ANYTHING IN YEARS if not a decade and always has been a horrific per minute rebounder- how does that manage to surpass darko in a rotation when darko was admittedly "productive" in the pre-season.

our team is dying from no rebounding and we bench the only young 7 footer on the roster.  thanks doc

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

[QUOTE]

Well, Martin instead of Milicic seems a no-brainer to me. Some guys on our team could use a kick in the behind sometimes....we would have two doing the kicking!

[/QUOTE]

you gain skill level, you lose age, you lose size, martin cannot play the 5 whatsoever.  we are loaded with 4's.  right now martin would probably do more good for us than jeff green but that takes danny admitting he made a huge mistake, and that won't happen.

the overall question remains, WHO is to play WHAT minutes at the 5?  darko was at least a legitimate, if not limited 5.  collins is an antiquated 5 who was incompetent in his prime and now near worthless other than hacking. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from basketbert. Show basketbert's posts

I have to say it does look like bigs are not really appreciated or valued by both Doc and Danny.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

K-Mart is certainly an option, if DM goes back to Europe. The fact some vets on the team are asking DA to sign him, says something. These guys have played against him!

On the other hand, why didn't the Clips re-sign him? He played decently well for them last season.

The next few weeks will be interesting. Stay tuned!!! 

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

R. Hollins is rebounding a bit better this year: 9-games played, 15-mins, 3.1 rebs, and 2.6 points per game. Younger, taller, healthier!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

This from SB Nation:

Kenyon Martin, a free agent forward, is still drawing interest from the Boston Celitcs, per Yahoo! Sports.

With news surfacing that Darko Milicic may leave the Boston Celtics, opening up a roster spot, Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports is reporting that the C's might be interested in using the spot for free agent forward Kenyon Martin.

Martin drew interest from the Celtics in the offseason, but the Celtics opted to sign Milicic, Chris Wilcox and Jason Collins. Now, with another potential opening, some within the organization are pushing for a Martin signing.

The Celtics had considered signing free-agent forward Kenyon Martin this offseason, but ultimately chose Collins, Chris Wilcox and Milicic over him. Some Celtics' veterans have been pushing for the team to sign Martin.

Wojnarowski writes that, because the Celtics already have players like Martin, they would likely try to address their vacancy at the five. If Milicic departs, Boston would be without a true center, as Kevin Garnett made the move from power forward to center last year and both Wilcox and rookie Jared Sullinger are more fours than fives. Fab Melo, the center Boston drafted at No. 22 overall in the 2012 draft, was sent to the Maine Red Claws of the NBA D-League.

Martin is a 12-year veteran who has played for three teams -- the New Jersey Nets, Denver Nuggets and Los Angeles Clippers. Martin has career averages of 13.0 points and 7.1 rebounds through 696 games. His best season was in 2003-04 with the Nets when he averaged a career-high 16.7 points and 9.5 boards.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from DFURY13. Show DFURY13's posts

I never understood signing him and at this point wouldn't miss him.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Hardwood Houdini is reporting DM has called it quits to tend to his ailing mother! 

http://touch.hardwoodhoudini.com/hardwoodhoudini/#!/entry/boston-celtics-darko-milicic-calls-quits-

on-season-to-tend,

50aaf802d7fc7b56706999a5/1

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PHX85014. Show PHX85014's posts

Can't believe Doc didn't at least give Darko a look....

I felt Darko was going to be KG's backup at center and average 20 minutes a game

I just felt it was logical , Darko being the only big man with size and length besides KG

It's not like he's a rookie and he knows how to pass the ball.

I would be frustrated too....

Early season is when guys like Darko usually get minutes....even Sheldon Williams got big minutes in the first 2 months he was a Celtic.

This was a low risk, high reward situation and I'm dissapointed the Celtics (Doc Rivers) didn't give this guy a real chance.

PS: SO HOW DO I ADD PICTURES TO MY POSTS HERE ? WHAT"S UP WITH THE NEW FORMAT ?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Typical Doc alienating players....

Doc also seems to routinely jettison the white players... oops, is that politically incorrect?

I liked Steamer some and who was the center couple years ago, think he was foreign born.. they get a little momentum and then poof... all gone.. Krystic another one

Add Darko and thats 3 centers and a PF.. the position we're thinnest at

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fields4. Show Fields4's posts

In response to Karllost's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Doc also seems to routinely jettison the white players... oops, is that politically incorrect?

I liked Steamer some and who was the center couple years ago, think he was foreign born.. they get a little momentum and then poof... all gone.. Krystic another one

[/QUOTE]

I see what you're talking about and sometimes i think exactly the same way. BUT! did those guys play well enough? How are they doing right now? Erden plays in Turkey and didn't hear that he averages 20-10 in their league, Krstic plays decently for CSKA but look at Andrei Kirilenko, his former teammate, he was MVP of the Euroleague not Krstic so if you're really that good you'll show it. Stiemsma - the only stat worth to be mentioned is a blocks per game column and literally nothing else. And Darko. Well nothing to say but clearly he has personal (his mother is ill?) reasons to leave.

So if Love had been on the C's roster i'm pretty sure that he would have played.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

In response to Fields4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Karllost's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I see what you're talking about and sometimes i think exactly the same way. BUT! did those guys play well enough? How are they doing right now? Erden plays in Turkey and didn't hear that he averages 20-10 in their league, Krstic plays decently for CSKA but look at Andrei Kirilenko, his former teammate, he was MVP of the Euroleague not Krstic so if you're really that good you'll show it. Stiemsma - the only stat worth to be mentioned is a blocks per game column and literally nothing else. And Darko. Well nothing to say but clearly he has personal (his mother is ill?) reasons to leave.

So if Love had been on the C's roster i'm pretty sure that he would have played.

[/QUOTE]

None of those guys were gonna be franchise players.. im not saying anyone is racist either.. just agreeing with the observation not many white guys stick around..   I think if you check league stats over the past 5 years or so, the ratio of white players to blacks has prob increased.... yet in Boston, no whites... and most that been on the team have been big players..what we're lacking the most.. 

Really, what sticks in my craw was how I saw Doc treat Krystic... the guy couldnt take a step without looking at Doc to seee if he was gonna get pulled.. He was terrified.. Also, Ive never seen Doc  meet a player on the court in full view of everyone and scold him bigtime like he did to Krystic... makes ya wonder a little

Sections
Shortcuts