Dear Shaq; An Open Letter

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

Dear Shaq; An Open Letter

We all hope Shaq does well in Boston because if Shaq does well the team does well and we do well.  And I always supported signing Shaq with one caveat, that being that we cut our losses quickly at the first sustained sign of, er, incompatibility, should we say.  With that in mind I copied this letter below from a fan blog on Celtic's Town, because it struck me as tres apropos at this moment in time.  It was written by a West Coast Celtic fan.  What do you think?

http://www.celticstown.com/category/fan-blog/

"WELCOME TO BOSTON SHAQ:

We are glad you did not get your first choice of playing with LeCon in Miami so that you can help us win a championship this year.  We are not concerned with the constant speculation that you are too old when your real problem is being fat and lazy. With two months before the season begins, there is plenty of time to lose thirty pounds, which will have you moving downcourt and fighting through pick and rolls with the agility of a 30-year-old. 

And while racing cars, filming movies/music videos, and making challenges for celebrity boxing matches are all highly entertaining, this is not Hollywood and you are no longer wearing purple and gold, my friend.  If you truly want to win a championship, spend the time working on free throws.  At the age of 38, it’s time to grow up and stop making excuses about your hands being too big.   It may be funny on Jay Leno, but if you come to play in the Garden, nobody is going to be laughing at your waste of God-given size and ability.  

You are not an entertainer.  You are an athlete.   If you come ready to play, the cheers will be louder than a Who concert, but if you want to be a bum, the boos may break your eardrums.  We want to love you, Shaq, but this isn’t Florida or LA where convertibles and beaches can readily lighten the mood of losing.  Here in Beantown, you must earn our love, and we are giving you the chance to retire as a champion."

-

"Okay, that’s a little heavy handed, a first draft purging of emotion, but you get my point, right?  I really hope the people and press in Boston put Shaq to the challenge instead of rolling out the red carpet for an oversized celebrity with funny one-liners after losses."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from EliasB. Show EliasB's posts

Re: Dear Shaq; An Open Letter

An Open Letter To Shaq from a long time Lakers fan:

Mark my words, by signing with the Celtics, you have given up any hope of every having your jersey retired over at Laker land. When your basketball days are over and the only thing left is retired jersey's, trust me, no one from L.A. will come calling.

You can bank on that.

Cool

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from KB24RULZ. Show KB24RULZ's posts

Dear Snaq

Kobe got 5 and soon to be 6. You got 4, signed with the Devil and now wear that sickly green.

#34 won't be getting retired in Lakerland!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

shaq looked pretty trim in his freakshow with bieber.

the key for shaq is two pronged- he comes into camp in shape, and we limit his regular season minutes to 20-24 a night.  period.  same thing with jermaine.  let them split the 5 spot on a nightly basis.

then, if they were ever going to have anything left for the playoffs it would be at the end of a year with that sort of minute structure.

shaq thinks he is an entertainer, so you're not going to talk him out of that.  not worth calling him fat and lazy and a bad entertainer.  he is a low risk signing who can be released whenever he doesn't work out so let's let him prove he belongs, or doesn't.  he's a big enough boy to know what he's doing.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from CelticFanLA. Show CelticFanLA's posts

Shaq is going to bring more to the table than scoring points. He will make a huge difference in the paint with getting boards, opening lanes, and also cleaning up Rondo, Pierce, and Allen's layups.

Oh yeah, I really dont think Shaq really cares what Laker fans think about him signing with Boston.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from genaro008. Show genaro008's posts

1st off it was Shaq who played with heart and desire aagainst us when the Queen gave up. At that time I had no idea Shaq would end up in Boston but I do recall saying to my self Shaq is playing his behind off. He played like he wanted to win.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulliu. Show paulliu's posts

LA won't retire Shaq's number?   I bet they will.

Not that I really care what LA does but retiring his number would be the right thing to do; he was the main reason for three titles.

But given LA's tacky treatment of the Minny teams, anything is possible.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from genaro008. Show genaro008's posts

A new owner will come in and will do the right thing and welcome Shaq back. I hate the yankees for a lot of reason and Big George but when it came to the history of he game he got it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrvAlbertsBra. Show MrvAlbertsBra's posts

I have no problem if the Lakers retire his number, he played a majority of his best years there and brought the franchise success.  But, the Lakers are pretty selective about retiring jerseys...not like the Blazers who retired the jerseys of every member of their 77 championship team.  And he will have played only 40% of his career in LA, so it could be a close call.  But Shaq working on free throws?  That's a hilarious concept.  Maybe if he's rewarded with free chowder, which he will eat plenty of.    

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Shaq is "The Man", no doubt about it...Shaq needs to dominate the 'First' game, then rest for playoffs to kick some serious Shaq...Doc needs to perfect the season like he knows how too...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from genaro008. Show genaro008's posts

MrvAlbertsBra that was funny about his free throws. As DL Huhgley said if you gonna fight Shaq just disguise your self as a free throw

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

In Response to Re: Dear Shaq; An Open Letter:
    [QUOTE]An Open Letter To Shaq from a long time Lakers fan: Mark my words, by signing with the Celtics, you have given up any hope of every having your jersey retired over at Laker land. When your basketball days are over and the only thing left is retired jersey's, trust me, no one from L.A. will come calling. You can bank on that.
    Posted by EliasB[/QUOTE]

Wow, that would be remarkably petty from my team. I can't believe that would be the case. Would I really believe that we wouldn't retire number Shaq's #34. He only led us to 3 titles, he only won the playoff MVP award in each of those seasons, and only won the league MVP in 2000. I guess that just isn't enough for some people? What more did he half to do? Unfortunately we chose Kobe over Shaq. Which in my mind is completely regrettable.

Although to my shame we are talking about an organisation that can't find it in it's heart to retire #99. Mikan only accomplished the following.

Championships in '50, '52, '53 and '54
    Five time all NBA first team 1950 - 1954
    Four time all star '51-54
    All star MVP '53
    Elected to the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame 1959.

So unfortunately the Lakers have set a standard for not honoring our former great players? 

I only hope this isn't the case with Shaq. And can only hope that it's not the case for Mikan, but with each passing year this looks less likely. 

It's funny that you don't see Celtics fans acting as juvenile as Lakers fans. Demanding that Sharman's number be un-retired after he coached our Lakers to their first championship in L.A. You don't see them slamming K.C. Jones and un-retiring his number as being Sharman's assistant?

Sharman and Jones played a huge role in our first title in L.A. Two Celtics. It's alright for us to use their brains trust to help us win our first L.A. Title but not for them to sign up Shaq and sore up their front Court?

The word is hypocritical. Or maybe just maybe, because a percentage of Lakers fans may not even remember last week, they may not even know that two of the oh so hated Celtics were major factors of '71-72 championship. 

Jeez, wake up L.A. and get a little more with it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHEisCHE. Show CHEisCHE's posts

before you write a letter to shaq

... ask Garnett if he approves the signing. Does not seem they are excited (the big 3). they are so dumbfounded about this signing.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

che, garnett interupted hawaiian vacation to attend shaq's press conference.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]che, garnett interupted hawaiian vacation to attend shaq's press conference.
    Posted by BaileyPowe[/QUOTE]

I also believe that the big 3 are very happy to have Shaq as a member of the Celtics.   I was very impressed by his press conference.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from westcoastgreenfn. Show westcoastgreenfn's posts

I am happy we signed You. Hope for the best guys cause SHAKROCK could be just what the doctor ordered.We needed another BIG man and There wasn't any Center out there better than SHAKROCK. The O'Neal boys will give us a solid rebounding tandum at center.No more of this being in the playoffs and giving up 15 offensive rebounds a Game. Welcome SHAKROCK.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from westcoastgreenfn. Show westcoastgreenfn's posts

who gives a crap,after the next TWO rings here he will not Care about the Fakers and Koby

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

In a previous post I said most of this about the Shaq signing but now reading some remarks from LA fans that Shaq will never have his # retired by the Lakers having signed with the DEVIL.  Shaq is an athlete, lost some weight, seems to have gotten into a good fitness program, wants to play some more, would like to win another title(s)/ring(s) and, based on money he's made playing, endorsements, movie rolls & future ones etc., I don't think he needed continue for the money.  What is it exactly that Laker fans wanted Shaq to do ? Stay with Cleveland. Retire ??? You LA gurus tell me ! 

Not only the Heat, but the Lakers will regret not signing Shaq.  I think that the class thing for the Lakers to have done was to take him back for a year or two & let him retire where he won 3 championships & was MVP in all of them OOPS-I said class thing so probably too much for LA to have done !!!  We know he and Kobe were not close but they bit their tongues & cooperated sufficiently to play well enough to win 3 rings. There were some comments that he might not fit in with our guys. IF HE GOT ALONG WITH KOBE , he can get along with anybody & everybody. And, you know, with all their big guys Shaq wouldn't have needed play more that 20 min. I think the fans would have liked it too.  This too would have given him a definite opportunity to have his # retired. Kobe did comment he had one more ring than Shaq. Even Kobe is smart enough to calculate that if they got another ring(s) together, he'd still be ahead of Shaq by one. Maybe he'd be worried Shaq would get another MVP as if Kobe had just 1 of the 3 that Shaq got, he'd be tied for MVPs with Michael Jordan. And, again, Kobe should be but I don't know for sure fairly confident that Shaq would not get another MVP at his age. But, I reiterate, that would have been the class thing to do...a bit too much to ask of LA !!! 

Regarding Shaq being too old & not in shape. We've got 3 other old-well, considered old by NBA standards-who brought us within a few minutes of being world champs. As I said above, he's lost weight and got in pretty good shape I've read. And, he's motivated & indicated he wanted to come with us. Motivation is a key element to winning in sports. I use the analogy of a management course when asked if mgmt. wanted someone who was willing or able. They said that willing was more important because the ableness can be conditioned---the ableness to play as a team.  But if someone ain't willing, it doesn't matter how competent (able) they are. Here's another key I feel. Shaq has played on 2 teams with 2 "Prima Donnas", Kobe & LeBron. He was the next best player & expected to perform accordingly---actually with LA winning MVP in 3 championships it was debatable he was the 2nd best player & maybe only Kobe felt so. He is coming to a team that had 3 All Stars who were the best on their previous teams who left their egos, desire to be leading scorers & consented to play together as a team and won in 2008. Why they didn't in 2010  is discussed in detail in the "Tainted Title" post and I have offered my opinion in many posts why we were shamefully denied this. So, Shaq, for the 1st time is coming to a unit that wants to win as a team & he needn't be a star but just contribute as the others to synergy(sum of the parts equal more than the whole).

I believe he'll fit in nicely to contribute to a winning team effort and because LA will probably win the West & probably have best record as they won't have the competition we will have, we might have to beat them in a deciding game in Tinsel Town & won't it be nice for Shaq to get his tying ring with Kobe in LA and, hopefully, his passing Kobe & retiring ring the following year.

Onward & upwards to the Over-The Hill-GREEN GANG !!!      I can't wait !!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from KB24RULZ. Show KB24RULZ's posts

It'll be interesting to see celtic fans turn on snaq when boston gets knocked out in the playoffs and then have to decide who to back, the Lakers or the Heat.

The Lakers are the only team that does not have to double team any of their 'stars'. Kobe on Wade, Ron on LBJ, Bynum or Pau on Bosh.

Lakers in 5!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrvAlbertsBra. Show MrvAlbertsBra's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dear Shaq; An Open Letter : Wow, that would be remarkably petty from my team. I can't believe that would be the case. Would I really believe that we wouldn't retire number Shaq's #34. He only led us to 3 titles, he only won the playoff MVP award in each of those seasons, and only won the league MVP in 2000. I guess that just isn't enough for some people? What more did he half to do? Unfortunately we chose Kobe over Shaq. Which in my mind is completely regrettable. Although to my shame we are talking about an organisation that can't find it in it's heart to retire #99. Mikan only accomplished the following. Championships in '50, '52, '53 and '54 Five time all NBA first team 1950 - 1954 Four time all star '51-54 All star MVP '53 Elected to the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame 1959. So unfortunately the Lakers have set a standard for not honoring our former great players?  I only hope this isn't the case with Shaq. And can only hope that it's not the case for Mikan, but with each passing year this looks less likely.  It's funny that you don't see Celtics fans acting as juvenile as Lakers fans. Demanding that Sharman's number be un-retired after he coached our Lakers to their first championship in L.A. You don't see them slamming K.C. Jones and un-retiring his number as being Sharman's assistant? Sharman and Jones played a huge role in our first title in L.A. Two Celtics. It's alright for us to use their brains trust to help us win our first L.A. Title but not for them to sign up Shaq and sore up their front Court? The word is hypocritical. Or maybe just maybe, because a percentage of Lakers fans may not even remember last week, they may not even know that two of the oh so hated Celtics were major factors of '71-72 championship.  Jeez, wake up L.A. and get a little more with it.
    Posted by RUWorthy[/QUOTE]

Agreed that the Lakers should retire his number.  But, regrettable that the Lakers chose Kobe over Shaq?  Kobe has some undeniable personal characteristics that put many people off, but his desire to win is so much greater than Shaq's.  Shaq had the desire in 2000 and '01, but it started to fade in '02.  Then, putting off surgery that he knew was required because "if I get hurt on company time, I'm going to heal on company time" was unforgivable.  It's the main reason the Lakers had to win 75% of their games after December that season simply to finish 4th.  Had they not been so exhausted from the regular season, they would have had a better chance of beating the Spurs in the playoffs.  In choosing Kobe, the Lakers chose  (i) the player with more elite years left in his game, (ii) the more driven and competitive player, and (iii) the player with the better health, or maybe just more willing to play through injuries.  I was ready to say good riddance to Shaq 18 months before he left.  No regrets.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Again, appalled that a true Laker fan would push aside the guy who was most responsible for 3 championships.  I am no Shaq apologist.  The guy is a low risk role player now, and the C's will cut bait and quick if he starts demanding the ball.  But it's really classless for LA fans to disrespect one of their own just because he signed with another team.  Petty, petty, petty.  But then again you guys would boo just about anyone.  You guys cheer Kobe like he's the savior despite the fact that he openly lobbied to be traded from your team.  If Shaq would've stayed, you guys would have it in for Kobe.  LA fans for ya. 

Boston fans couldn't cheer hard enough when Antoine Walker got a championship with Miami, and that guy didn't do jack for the Celtics as compared to Shaq and the Lakers.       

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

[QUOTE]Dear Snaq Kobe got 5 and soon to be 6. You got 4, signed with the Devil and now wear that sickly green. #34 won't be getting retired in Lakerland!
    Posted by KB24RULZ[/QUOTE]

If I was shaq i wouldn't want to get my jersey retire by the Fakers either.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dear Shaq; An Open Letter : If I was shaq i wouldn't want to get my jersey retire by the Fakers either.
    Posted by OneOnOne[/QUOTE]

I want to see #34 retired in LA for Shaq. But that's just me. He's still a champion Laker and always will be. Nothing will change that. Even is some fans don't appreciate his Lakers legacy.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from KB24RULZ. Show KB24RULZ's posts

Dear snaq

Enjoy your Kreme donuts in boston. I trust you'll get to see Kobe after the following season when he gets asked how does it feel to win a 6th championship....2 more than snaq!

The Laker Nation took a collection so that we could honor you in some fitting way, so if your down in Tijuana some time head over to the refuse pit and just at the entrance you'll find a fitting statue in your honor.

P.S Please don't eat it, I'm sure boston has enough donuts for ya to last a fleeting visit.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from LAkeravenger. Show LAkeravenger's posts

Well, you know what they say about guys with big  hands, they also have a big....uh...problem with free throws.

Sections
Shortcuts