Dear Shaq; An Open Letter

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from binbones. Show binbones's posts

Re: Dear Shaq; An Open Letter

In Response to Dear Shaq; An Open Letter:
    We all hope Shaq does well in Boston because if Shaq does well the team does well and we do well.  And I always supported signing Shaq with one caveat, that being that we cut our losses quickly at the first sustained sign of, er, incompatibility, should we say.  With that in mind I copied this letter below from a fan blog on Celtic's Town, because it struck me as tres apropos at this moment in time.  It was written by a West Coast Celtic fan.  What do you think? http://www.celticstown.com/category/fan-blog/ "WELCOME TO BOSTON SHAQ: We are glad you did not get your first choice of playing with LeCon in Miami so that you can help us win a championship this year.  We are not concerned with the constant speculation that you are too old when your real problem is being fat and lazy. With two months before the season begins, there is plenty of time to lose thirty pounds, which will have you moving downcourt and fighting through pick and rolls with the agility of a 30-year-old.  And while racing cars, filming movies/music videos, and making challenges for celebrity boxing matches are all highly entertaining, this is not Hollywood and you are no longer wearing purple and gold, my friend.  If you truly want to win a championship, spend the time working on free throws.  At the age of 38, it’s time to grow up and stop making excuses about your hands being too big.   It may be funny on Jay Leno, but if you come to play in the Garden, nobody is going to be laughing at your waste of God-given size and ability.   You are not an entertainer.  You are an athlete.   If you come ready to play, the cheers will be louder than a Who concert, but if you want to be a bum, the boos may break your eardrums.  We want to love you, Shaq, but this isn’t Florida or LA where convertibles and beaches can readily lighten the mood of losing.  Here in Beantown, you must earn our love, and we are giving you the chance to retire as a champion." - "Okay, that’s a little heavy handed, a first draft purging of emotion, but you get my point, right?  I really hope the people and press in Boston put Shaq to the challenge instead of rolling out the red carpet for an oversized celebrity with funny one-liners after losses."
    Posted by RajonRondowski

Did not the ROMANS seek "entertainment"  from their athlete-gladiators....

oh by the way , ask the owners of American professional sports teams whether

they consider their "businesses entertainment & their athlete-gladiator

employees entertainers.......
    I'm just saying..............

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

Re: Dear Shaq; An Open Letter

In Response to Re: Dear Shaq; An Open Letter:
    In Response to Dear Shaq; An Open Letter : Did not the ROMANS seek "entertainment"   from their athlete-gladiators .... oh by the way , ask the owners of American professional sports teams whether   they consider their "businesses entertainment & their athlete-gladiator   employees entertainers....... I'm just saying..............
    Posted by binbones

-

Agreed.

I always said on this forum that I wanted an entertaining team, and for that reason I advocated signing both Shaq and Delonte, because besides their obvious basketball skills they are both entertaining as individuals and as players.

Who wants a bunch of robots mumbling the party line cliches after every game?  That's a rhetorical question.

I posted the material in quotation marks, but that does not mean I agree with it.  I thought it great fodder for discussion, and your point is a great point.

That's not to say that some players might take their role as "entertainer" too far and let it take away from the game and their team.  That should never happen, and seems to be what some posters warn about with Shaq.  We'll have to wait and see, but I believe the Boston Celtic culture will have a positive impact on Shaq, at least I hope.

Sections
Shortcuts