Defense

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

Defense

Our defense is as bad as I remember the last few years.  We continue to do the same thing over and over again.  IMO  Doc has not adjusted to what we need to be doing.  Its pretty obvious what were doing is not working.  Here are some things I would like to see start happening.

When our guards are playing their men,  they constantly try to fight over and thru a pick and there is usually a switch off,  the offensive player goes right around our big and takes it to the rim.  Why not have our guards go under the pick?  Let them shoot some outside shots and see if they can make them?   Looking thru the shot chart last night,  the first quarter the Bucks made one shot outside of 8 foot.  All their scoring was free throws and layups except on 3 pt shot.  There inside killed us.

I want Sullinger starting and playing as much as possible.  He is the one guy that can help solve our rebounding wows.  Yes he makes mistakes.  He will learn and this will speed up the learning curve.  Maybe he would quit getting the rookie calls he now gets if he was on the floor more.  He is not going to make us a worse team than we already are.  We HAVE to get him playing more.

Rondo has to look to score and quit dribbling so much.  If he isn't making something happen, get rid of the ball.  I am sick of walking the ball up and standing there until 8 seconds are left on the clock.

Garnett needs to play more. If we are saving him for the playoffs we are screwed. This 5 5 5 crap needs to stop.  Not saying he needs to play 40 minutes.  Do like Pop does,  give him a game off periodically to keep the minutes the same for the year.  Thats the ultimate goal isn't it?  This will also make someone else take up the slack when KG is not playing.

I would still like to see Melo play with our current team.  I can't imagine that he can't do what Collins does.  Tell him to not worry about scoring,  just block every shot, get as many rebounds as he can.

If Doc thinks we are going to keep doing what were doing and magically something is going to change,  well he is simply off his rocker.

I am not so sure I wouldn't want to see Joseph getting the leftover PP minutes. Green can play more 4.  I don't care what the plus minus crap is.  

I am just ready for some big time change and it isn't putting Collins, who has been in the league forever and has never done anything into the starting lineup.  Collins is better than Bass in the lineup but he is far from the answer.

One other thing,  Terry needs to come off the bench from now on.  This is where he has made his mark thru the years,  it is also where he is most comfortable.

There you go,  tear it apart.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

Re: Defense

In response to Fierce34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think it's just about the personnel Doc has.

When Doc had LaFrentz, Telfair, Mark Blount, and Ricky Davis, the Celts were a lottery team.

But when Doc had KG, Ray, PJ Brown, and Sam Cassell, it resulted in a championship.

Lame rame lambasted me for saying the Celts are rebuilding this season. Well, the Celts' record this season is indicative of a team trying to rebuild on the fly.

Come on, you have 10 players that were not on that playoff team that reached Game 7 of the ECF and you expect to get the same results? It's just not realistic. This is a different team.

[/QUOTE]

NO  I am not expecting anything as is.  As my post clearly states,  we need to make some changes.  Read it again.  What were doing isn't working so something needs to change.  It has nothing to do with last year,  has nothing to do with Lafrentz.  He has to do with Doc not make the necessary adjustments.  Yes I know we need rebounding and also know we need a big.  One thing no one mentions is we also need a REAL backup point guard.  Geez you think that has something to do with the 2nd team not doing anything? 

Another thing,  i don't care if you want to say reload, retool,  add, adjust, or whatever,  it doesn't matter.  We need something to change.  Yes a trade is probably number one in my book.  Basketball is basketball,,, the chemistry is off and I don't think that will change with this current group. The reason is we haven't played 2 good games all year. 

The personnel Doc has is what he has.  The talent level is better than we are better than we are playing.  It is better than last years team.  Come on!!!  

You have said plenty of times getting rid of Ray was the right thing to do.  Well we got Terry and he was the 2nd most important player on a championship team.  Lee has always been average to above average.  Sully is the best young player we have had in a while.  We have MORE talent than last year.

Again we are not that far away IMO.  One big could make all the difference,  along with Bradley.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to OneOnOne's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Again we are not that far away IMO.  One big could make all the difference,  along with Bradley.

[/QUOTE]

I agree with that.

But with this current team, as is, I don't think Doc can do anything. No amount of adjustments can change how this current team will play defense. 

[/QUOTE]

I don't agree with your last part.  It won't solve all the problems but it can improve.  Zone defense,  going under the pick,  play Sully would would rebound.  There are plenty of things to try.  The point is if you keep doing the same thing you are going to get the same results. Its a proven fact.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdLewsBias. Show BirdLewsBias's posts

Fierce you are totally wrong. There is something Doc can do. He has much more talent than most in the league.

The defense will improve when AB comes back but it may not help our rebounding. We can't get stops when we need to anymore. IMO Rondo has regressed defensively and hasn't grown as a general on the floor. His shot is better but in terms of getting everyone their shots and running a smooth offense and playing perimeter defense, he's taken a step backwards.

I said 2 weeks ago that Melo should be playing. It's ridiculous that Ainge hasn't told Doc that Melo needs minutes. He's exactly what we're missing...size, interior defense and rebounding. Who cares about his offense and fouls.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

In response to BirdLewsBias' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Fierce you are totally wrong. There is something Doc can do. He has much more talent than most in the league.

The defense will improve when AB comes back but it may not help our rebounding. We can't get stops when we need to anymore. IMO Rondo has regressed defensively and hasn't grown as a general on the floor. His shot is better but in terms of getting everyone their shots and running a smooth offense and playing perimeter defense, he's taken a step backwards.

I said 2 weeks ago that Melo should be playing. It's ridiculous that Ainge hasn't told Doc that Melo needs minutes. He's exactly what we're missing...size, interior defense and rebounding. Who cares about his offense and fouls.

[/QUOTE]

Agree with everything except the smooth offense part.  We will never have a smooth offense as long as we dribble 15 seconds off the clock before we pass the ball.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

[QUOTE]

Our defense is as bad as I remember the last few years.  We continue to do the same thing over and over again.  IMO  Doc has not adjusted to what we need to be doing.  Its pretty obvious what were doing is not working.  Here are some things I would like to see start happening.

When our guards are playing their men,  they constantly try to fight over and thru a pick and there is usually a switch off,  the offensive player goes right around our big and takes it to the rim.  Why not have our guards go under the pick?  Let them shoot some outside shots and see if they can make them?   Looking thru the shot chart last night,  the first quarter the Bucks made one shot outside of 8 foot.  All their scoring was free throws and layups except on 3 pt shot.  There inside killed us.

I want Sullinger starting and playing as much as possible.  He is the one guy that can help solve our rebounding wows.  Yes he makes mistakes.  He will learn and this will speed up the learning curve.  Maybe he would quit getting the rookie calls he now gets if he was on the floor more.  He is not going to make us a worse team than we already are.  We HAVE to get him playing more.

Rondo has to look to score and quit dribbling so much.  If he isn't making something happen, get rid of the ball.  I am sick of walking the ball up and standing there until 8 seconds are left on the clock.

Garnett needs to play more. If we are saving him for the playoffs we are screwed. This 5 5 5 crap needs to stop.  Not saying he needs to play 40 minutes.  Do like Pop does,  give him a game off periodically to keep the minutes the same for the year.  Thats the ultimate goal isn't it?  This will also make someone else take up the slack when KG is not playing.

I would still like to see Melo play with our current team.  I can't imagine that he can't do what Collins does.  Tell him to not worry about scoring,  just block every shot, get as many rebounds as he can.

If Doc thinks we are going to keep doing what were doing and magically something is going to change,  well he is simply off his rocker.

I am not so sure I wouldn't want to see Joseph getting the leftover PP minutes. Green can play more 4.  I don't care what the plus minus crap is.  

I am just ready for some big time change and it isn't putting Collins, who has been in the league forever and has never done anything into the starting lineup.  Collins is better than Bass in the lineup but he is far from the answer.

One other thing,  Terry needs to come off the bench from now on.  This is where he has made his mark thru the years,  it is also where he is most comfortable.

There you go,  tear it apart.

[/QUOTE]  Nothing to tear apart!!  You are 100% on the money!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gasthoerer. Show Gasthoerer's posts

[QUOTE]

Well we got Terry and he was the 2nd most important player on a championship team.

[/QUOTE]

Terry was never - NEVER - the second most important player on championship team, not even at a contender! He always was a great role player - a spark from the bench, not more. He is a terrible defender, undersized and very one dimensional. You guys are blinded by his 2-3 nice games in the Mavs - Miami finals. That was just a fluke!

At this Mavs Squad at least Nowitzki, Chandler, Marion and Jason Kidd were more important than Terry. Barea and Stevenson also had some impact.

Sections
Shortcuts