Definition of a Celtic Fan

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Definition of a Celtic Fan

I take pride in my team's championships....that is the ultimate goal and the reason the players play and the fans come...

that said....the Celtics have won more championships than anyone...

I also take pride in beating our arch-rival (the Lakers)...

that said....the Celtics have a much better head to head record against the Lakers in both the regular season and in the playoffs........I take pride in our head to head championship series record....9-3 vs. the Lakers (taking place in two cities I might add)

...that's it for me...what else is there?  

...better record...

...better winning percentage

...the most titles...

it's all good right?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

Re: Definition of a Celtic Fan

In Response to Re: Definition of a Celtic Fan:
    NO, McHale is wrong.  If the lakers team ever went south, you would hear the bandwagon fans jumping off from Pasadena to Santa Clarita.  Celtics fans stick with their teams through thick and thin.
    Posted by BirdandCowens

Summer 1995 visiting Anahiem. Went to a sports store, think it was on Harbor Boulevarde. Was wearing a Worthy singlet. One of the sales clerks laughed and said "A Lakers Fan, don't see too many of you these days". Will remember that till the day I die.

Just said back, "Lakers forever" and flashed a V sign and gave a smile, which made him laugh.

One of the things I love about Jack is that when it comes to celebrity fans, is he's always there. We have a number of people who'll always be fans. But I think every club has a large number of fair weather fans, or bandwagon jumpers. Example of this would be when Jordan was running around with the Bulls. Wonder how many of the those fans that Jordan bought to the Bulls are still watching them on TV or consider themselves to be Bulls fans?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

The wait is almost over. When preseason starts I think these Laker trolls will disappear one by one. Just like when the Celtics eliminated the Cavs, all those Cavs fans here that were talking so much trash are now nowhere to be found.

When the Lakers start losing games these Laker trolls will be in hibernation mode. Just like when the Celtics were leading in the Finals 3-2. Cool

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

In Response to Re: Definition of a Celtic Fan : There's your old argument again..... IF ......
    Posted by RUMcHale

I'm glad you want to see the Lakers remain a strong team. Thanks!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

In Response to Re: Definition of a Celtic Fan : Summer 1995 visiting Anahiem. Went to a sports store, think it was on Harbor Boulevarde. Was wearing a Worthy singlet. One of the sales clerks laughed and said "A Lakers Fan, don't see too many of you these days". Will remember that till the day I die. Just said back, "Lakers forever" and flashed a V sign and gave a smile, which made him laugh. One of the things I love about Jack is that when it comes to celebrity fans, is he's always there. We have a number of people who'll always be fans. But I think every club has a large number of fair weather fans, or bandwagon jumpers. Example of this would be when Jordan was running around with the Bulls. Wonder how many of the those fans that Jordan bought to the Bulls are still watching them on TV or consider themselves to be Bulls fans?
    Posted by RUWorthy

That was the Cedric Ceballos era. When Jack Nicholson was "The Last Laker Fan". Cool

HAHAHA!!! 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUMcHale. Show RUMcHale's posts

In Response to Re: Definition of a Celtic Fan : I'm glad you want to see the Lakers remain a strong team. Thanks!
    Posted by RUWorthy

No probs. I've always admired excellence!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

In Response to Re: Definition of a Celtic Fan : No probs. I've always admired excellence!
    Posted by RUMcHale

Excellence? A 16-15 Finals record is excellence?

HAHAHA!!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

In Response to Re: Definition of a Celtic Fan : That was the Cedric Ceballos era. When Jack Nicholson was "The Last Laker Fan".  HAHAHA!!! 
    Posted by P34

Was the worst era. That smiley almost looks like Jack.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

In Response to Re: Definition of a Celtic Fan : Dunno, but 5 championships in the last 10 years is as is 7 Finals appearances in that time. Need I remind you of Bostons record from 1987 to 2008? Besides, Boston was the dominate team during the 60s but post 1979 you have to hand it to the Lakers. Like I said earlier, take your head out of the sand and open both eyes and just maybe you'll develop an informed opinion.
    Posted by RUMcHale

Aren't you a Celtics supporter?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

In Response to Re: Definition of a Celtic Fan : Dunno, but 5 championships in the last 10 years is as is 7 Finals appearances in that time. Need I remind you of Bostons record from 1987 to 2008? Besides, Boston was the dominate team during the 60s but post 1979 you have to hand it to the Lakers. Like I said earlier, take your head out of the sand and open both eyes and just maybe you'll develop an informed opinion.
    Posted by RUMcHale

The Celtics and the Lakers never won a championship in the 1990s. In the 21st century the Lakers won more championships than the Celtics but head to head the Celtics and the Lakers are tied at 1 apiece. Cool

Still doesn't change the fact that overall the Celtics(17) still have more championships than the Lakers(16). Such is life.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

In Response to Re: Definition of a Celtic Fan : Excellence? A 16-15 Finals record is excellence? HAHAHA!!!
    Posted by P34

I think it's pretty cool to have made the NBA finals 31 times. We just hit speedhumps along the way that prevented us from winning more than 16. What matters to me is that we were in a position to win the title 31 times. That's massive.

Lost Seven times to the Celtics in the 60's? Which isn't really bad considering the Celtics had the best player in existence playing for them in Bill Russell. Take him away and you'd have an even series between the teams.

The Two loses to New York are very hard to take. Just when we see off Russell we have to deal with the Knicks. Did we underestimate them? Was it a thought that we've seen off the best, we've been runners up several times to Boston, so we surely must be the best. We were a very old team against this Knicks side, I guess that comes into the equation.

No it was a younger team from New York, we took one title in three attempts against them. Still we won a Title. And we made up the numbers in the Final so it's still not too bad.

Thinking next, we come to Philadelphia in 1983. Losing to this team I can understand more fully. They were loaded and the best team overall in the East in my opinion in the early 80's. How Boston beat them in 1981 will remain a mystery to me. I put it down to Bird. Anyway this team from '83 was one of the all time great NBA sides. We beat the sixers twice and lost to them once. Moses Malone was massive and combining him with the talent the Sixers already possessed gave them a lethal edge.

1984 Celtics. Great team. Very even series. Could have really gone either way. Mistakes made by both teams at crucial times. In the end more mistakes from the Lakers. Although I won't deny that the Celtics deserved their win in the end. Losing this series I think helped us win our 1985, 1987 and 1988 titles. You can learn as much if not more from a loss than you can from a win. Also helped a new Lakers team learn about themselves. But we also got to know the Celtics, how they play and how to beat them.

I think this phrase speaks volumes: He who knows his enemy and himself well will not be defeated easily. He who knows himself but not his enemy, will have an even chance of victory. He who does not know himself and his enemy, is bound to suffer defeat in all battles.

1989 Pistons. We don't have Magic or Byron for the series. Yes they took us to seven games in 1988. But everyone must agree that it would not have been a sweep if our guards were fit. Tainted Championship I say.... TAINTED ... sorry I couldn't resist that one Tongue out Don't know who would have won that series if our we had our team at full strength.

1991 Bulls. Case of a great team on the rise and a great team at the end. Obviously the team on the rise should win. You could almost call it a five game sweep. Happy to have taken a game off that team.

2004 Pistons. Our team was breaking apart and it was plain for the world to see, or at least the part of the world that's interested in the NBA. This Pistons team was good, no excuses on the part of the Lakers. We should have played better and we didn't. Unlike 1989 I give this one clearly to the Pistons.

2008 Celtics. Bynum being out hurts, but we did well enough to get to to the finals without his services. Faced a Celtics side that were hungrier than we were. I think the Celtics had more pressure on them to win as well. I also think that the Lakers losing helped us win our back to back titles. Almost like in 1984 we needed a catalyst to help us step up and win again.

Now looking into the future. Do I see some lean time ahead for the Lakers. Yes. But we'll rebuild quickly hopefully we won't sink like a stone mirroring our 90's mess. I can see both our teams suffering in the near future. Celtics have Rondo on their team so that's a big advantage. Lakers have Gasol, maybe Bynum but I don't hold out a lot of hope for him.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

Boston was the dominate team during the 60s
    Posted by RUMcHale

Dominate team?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from brndonthagreat. Show brndonthagreat's posts

Celtic fan- A baldin greasy middle aged individual (male or female) who spends his/her days dinking beer and reminiscing about the glory days when the Celtics had a dynasty. I hate how you Celtic fans love living in the past. Its time to make some new memories. What about the 20 year old Celtic fan. they never got to see a dynasty. You may have won more titles and head to head machups than the Lakers in history but what have you done lately? can you live off 2008 for another 20 years? Kobe has as many rings as the Celtic starting five lol.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from upperco1. Show upperco1's posts

Celtic fan- A baldin greasy middle aged individual (male or female) who spends his/her days dinking beer and reminiscing about the glory days when the Celtics had a dynasty. I hate how you Celtic fans love living in the past. Its time to make some new memories. What about the 20 year old Celtic fan. they never got to see a dynasty. You may have won more titles and head to head machups than the Lakers in history but what have you done lately? can you live off 2008 for another 20 years? Kobe has as many rings as the Celtic starting five lol.
    Posted by brndonthagreat

Your knowledge of the game, itself, is astounding.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdandCowens. Show BirdandCowens's posts

Posted by brndonthagreat

What garbage you write - let's discount all the Babe Ruth and Lou Gehring Yankees teams while we're at it!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I don't care how many Championships the Fakers have won. I lived on the left coast and they were the toast of the town after the Dodgers. They have never been the number one team in their own city. The Celtics owned the 60's and have been competitive in every decade since minus the nineties. The Lakers and the Celtics are rivals kind of like the Sox and the Yankees, except in this case the Celtics are the hammer and the Fakers are the nails. The return to relevance by the Celtics will continue and they will control their own destiny as this team is deeper than last years version. If it comes down to the refs calling fouls again in the 7th game it's the Lakers who will suffer because home court will reside in Boston. This team will be hard for any team to contend with purely on the skill level of the team as a whole. Size does matter and the league is about to find out what it's like when the Celtics unleash four 7 footers on their team instead of 2 guys playing that are 6'8" at best. In words that even a die hard Laker fan can understand  ain't no midgets gonna be guarding Pau this time! O'Neal, O'Neal, KG, Erdan all 4 are 6'11" or taller add in a healthy Perkins and lets see what you answer with,sorry for your luck We had Theo Ratliff for a minute a few years back and you don't see him wearing Green still do you? All I can say is the fakers better hope the crooked Crawford twits are allowed to referee as many of their games as possible.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

Definition of a Celtic fan: A true Celtic fan supports the Celtics during the good and lean years. Those that continued to support the Celtics and wear their green with pride during the Carr and Pitino eras are true Celtic fans. 
       It's easy to be a fan during the good years. The true lithmus test of being a fan is during consecutive drought years such as that we had during the Carr and Pitino eras. The recent 2007 season doesn't count as it was a short period of time of losing.
        It's easy to reminesce and have a toast to Russell, Bird, Pierce and the others that are NBA champions, however lets have a toast for Rick Fox, David Wesley, Dee Brown, Dino Radja, Greg Minor and others during the great drought of the
    90's. Cheers.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RondoIsHustle. Show RondoIsHustle's posts

I just think that what define a celtic fan
    Is the pride;not the titles and all that stuff
    Anyone can win a title.Who knows,maybe in 50 years from now the suns win 30 titles,but it doesnt matter to me,it´s not that that makes be a fan.

I leave in Brazil,and i have a brother who doesnt like basketball(he just likes soccer,Fluminense Footbal Club is the team we cheer)
    but he watch the finals with me,and he said something really interesting:

"It´s funny the fans are really diferents
    the green ones seems to have a lot more passion"

You i think that´s what define a celtic fan(at least is what define me as a fan)
    I really like everything about the C´s
    that´s why i always laugh of some idiots who like purple and gold
    because they might even win the 17th title,the 27th,the 107th
    i dont care they will never have what we got.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

I think a Celtic fan is also someone that doesn't see the need to go to the LA Times to tell the Laker fans that the Celtics are better than the Lakers. Cool

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RondoIsHustle. Show RondoIsHustle's posts

I think a Celtic fan is also someone that doesn't see the need to go to the LA Times to tell the Laker fans that the Celtics are better than the Lakers. 
    Posted by P34

We have a winner
    That was by far far the best definition.

hahahaha

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from GlasgowRangers. Show GlasgowRangers's posts

In Response to Re: Definition of a Celtic Fan : Excellence? A 16-15 Finals record is excellence? HAHAHA!!!
    Posted by P34

Sure, a 16-15 finals record is a result of a 31-9 semi-final record. That is much better than the Celtics' 21-11 in semi-finals.

Not to mention 10-4...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from GlasgowRangers. Show GlasgowRangers's posts

In Response to Re: Definition of a Celtic Fan : The Celtics and the Lakers never won a championship in the 1990s. In the 21st century the Lakers won more championships than the Celtics but head to head the Celtics and the Lakers are tied at 1 apiece.

Another way to say it: The Lakers are Celtics are tied at 1 apiece head-to-head but blow out the Celtics in overall numbers.

Don't ever think the years the Celtics failed to make the finals don't count...

Still doesn't change the fact that overall the Celtics(17) still have more championships than the Lakers(16). Such is life.  
    Posted by P34

Still doesn't change the fact that the Lakers' 10-4 edge in the big-time era is much bigger than the Celtics' 13-6 edge in the bush league era.

That's why MJ's 6 is bigger than Russell's 11. That's why the Lakers are considered the #1 franchise in the NBA. Such is life.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from GlasgowRangers. Show GlasgowRangers's posts

Definition of a Celtic fan: A true Celtic fan supports the Celtics during the good and lean years. Those that continued to support the Celtics and wear their green with pride during the Carr and Pitino eras are true Celtic fans.    

No chance. A true Celtic fan: only count the years the Celtics make the finals. That's why the bragging of 17-4 and 9-3. For all the years that they don't make the finals, they don't count. That's why the Celtics were in the NBA for only 21 years.

Or how would you consider a 17-47 record superior to a 16-46 record?

Quiz, which team is better?

A team got routed by 39 points in game 6 of the final, or

A team got eliminated in the 2nd round of the playoffs?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from GlasgowRangers. Show GlasgowRangers's posts

I think a Celtic fan is also someone that doesn't see the need to go to the LA Times to tell the Laker fans that the Celtics are better than the Lakers. 
    Posted by P34

Simple, because the Lakers fans don't spread lies like

"the game was called fair for 3.5 quarters, but look at the 37-17 FT discrepancy",

"we were leading the entire game",

"we were leading by 13 points and then the refs decided to take over the game"

Sections
Shortcuts