Did Lebron really just pull the race card?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tmot1234. Show tmot1234's posts

Did Lebron really just pull the race card?

Are you kdding me? Every time this guy says something, he just makes himself look worse. How does he not have someone in his entourage advising him to just keep quiet and focus on basketball.

http://network.yardbarker.com/all_sports/article_external/lebron_claims_racism_factor_in_decision_backlash/3325646

Last year at this time....I actually liked this guy. Thought it was fun watching him play. Now? Well, he didn't make it down to #6 on MY list of most hated athletes....he's in the top 2......and Lebron.....trust me, it has NOTHING to do with race...

I think I actually like Kobe more than I like Lebron now.....ok, maybe "like" isn't the right word. Maybe "dislike less" is better..lol.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Waynestarr. Show Waynestarr's posts

Re: Did Lebron really just pull the race card?

I beg to differ, let's not be naive here. If you look at ESPN's most disliked athletes, THE TOP 6 ARE BLACK ATHLETES.

Where's Ben Rothlesberger and Brett Favre in the top 5 or 6?

It's nothing new that black athletes and actors are vilified for acts that white athletes and actors get a slap on the wrist and instantly given a second chance on.

If you listen to what LeBron said, he said: "he thinks so AT TIMES"...

I saw a sportswriter on ESPN today mentioning that he couldn't print some of the comments about LeBron after his decision because alot of them were so racially tinged.

You may not be a racist, but let's not be delusional to the fact that race did play a factor in a lot of hate towards LeBron.

Not all people that dislike him are racist, but there's a precentage of them that ARE racist.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

I don't get racisim from any perspective. Lebron maybe actually does feel that way, is it really the 'real' Lebron who is saying that? I think it has to be because if he had an agent who would offer him sensible advice they'd say to steer away from the issue of race.

Lot's of other NBA players have made comments on race. And I think it'll always come out from time to time in American sports. There will always be some element of white society that will hate the black atheletes who earn a fortune playing sports. Then you'll always have black athletes who may have a level of resentment towards whites. It's not something that will ever go away in our lifetimes. Hopefully it will in the future.

It's more a resentment issue, only color is involved and that makes it more tragic in the sense of society in general.

That's one thing I love about the Celtics history. Red was never a racist guy if you were good enough you played for the team, no matter who you were. First black starting five, first black head coach. These events at the time must have been huge and they're still a huge deal as far as I'm concerned.

I don't dislike Lebron for what he said. He does need to grow up a lot though.
    I'll keep my dislike for guys that actually earn it by their actions off or on the court. Lebron's done nothing like some of the criminals or thugs who've played in the NBA. He is guilty of having too much hype surrounding him. But most of that is generated by the media and if he courts it a little himself, who's to blame him? He'll make his fortune while he can.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tmot1234. Show tmot1234's posts

Alright...you both make some valid points, and I'll give you that. But, race has nothing to do with having your own hour long ESPN special to announce what team you're signing with. And from all the people I've talked to, that's 99% of the reason that they don't like him anymore.

And if it was about race...then how come no one is giving Wade or Bosh a hard time?

I'm not saying that he doesn't have to deal with it racism...I just don't think that's why nobody likes him anymore. Just my opinion. By the way...I hope that when we play Miami, Delonte remembers the right hook Wade gives him in this video....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7xlzLOZH5c

lol...that video cracks me up every time...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tmot1234. Show tmot1234's posts

In Response to Re: Did Lebron really just pull the race card?:
    [QUOTE]I beg to differ, let's not be naive here. If you look at ESPN's most disliked athletes, THE TOP 6 ARE BLACK ATHLETES. Where's Ben Rothlesberger and Brett Favre in the top 5 or 6?

Pretty sure that Rothelsberger was right behind Lebron, and if you look at the rest of the list,

#1 Vick...(umm, don't think he deserved that one?),
    #2...Tiger Woods (was nowhere near this list until he got caught).....
    #3 Terrell Owens (don't think his mouth has anything to do with this one?)....
    #4 Ochocinco (this one I don't really understand. I like this guy....lol
    #5 Kobe Bryant (I just don't like him because he's on the Lakers. Alot of people don't like the Lakers, so it would only make sense as to why they don't like their franchise player)

What was the rest 6-10? I know Big Ben was there somewhere. I think it was #6 but I can't find a link. And what has Brett Favre done to make people hate him? Not wanting to retire?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

That's one heck of list there.

Tiger is an interesting one. I just can't work out why he wanted to get married? It would have been akin to Jordan being caught in the same position in 1996.

Can't say I hate the guy, just loath what he put his wife though. Basically his matter is a domestic case.

Lebron has got nothing on the other guys on that list. At least what we publicly know about. I think Jordan has done more to be dispised than Lebron has ever done.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

Didn't Isiah Thomas once say that Larry Bird would be considered just an average player if he were black, that Bird only got so much acclaim because he was white?

The public doesn't like arrogant, self-entitled, excuse making fools, and that is what Lebron has revealed himself to be.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dafoe. Show dafoe's posts

I think we are at the point where nobody has any business being surprised by anything LeBron says or does. He's a fool. 

I dated a girl girl like this-so I know the drill. LeBron is a texbook narcissist. Nothing could possibly be his fault. So no matter how outrageous his behavior is, he will invent excuses to justify it. The last thing he will ever do is man up and take responsibility for his actions.

No matter how assinine his excuses are to normal people, he honestly believes his own BS. 

I think it's becoming pretty clear why the Cavs couldn't win a title with this softy. I've said it before and I'll say it again. If LeBron James is your best player, you have no shot at a title.

He is a grade A punk. And probably always will be.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

lebron didn't even have enough sack to play the worn out card, he had his manager do it. 

the substance of lebron's character has been shown to be a tarry goo through his reaction to adversity, largely in the celtics series when he outright quit and rolled over because he was miffed about something.  lebron is a poor quality person who has surrounded himself with yes men and he hasn't heard the word no since he was probably 13 or younger.  that's why people don't like him.  and the "show" he put on this summer cemented his image as a narcissistic buffoon. 
    what more is there to say?  i wouldn't live and die by espn's poll that it's all black folks and therefore all racist.  after all, espn produced nematoads like olbermann and andy cooper who have gone on to such great things.  i am sure their polls are not the end all of public opinion. 

i find plenty of white 'stars' to be despicable for their acts.  brett "never quit" favre is just tiresome and annoying.  roger "truth dodger" clemens drove me nuts with his dumb crap as a red sock and now in his retirement he has really gone off the deep end with this denial crap- more narcissism, delusions of grandeur, etc.

but clemens and favre type narcissism doesn't stack up to the severity of crimes of mikey vick with the dogs, rae carruth with the dead pregnant GF and ray what's his name with the ravens who bought himself out of a murder trial, and OJ with the paid off double murder rap have to be some of the most odious criminal athletes to come down the pike, ever. 

they are all black.  who cares.  their crimes are so gross it gives you a rash to think about it.  that's what people don't like.  are there white athletes who have been thug murderers or serial animal abusers?  i honestly don't know- i think vick takes the cake for the dog racket but i am sure there have been white athletes who have done horrible things.  can't remember any recently that pop to mind.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

[QUOTE]lebron didn't even have enough sack to play the worn out card, he had his manager do it.  the substance of lebron's character has been shown to be a tarry goo through his reaction to adversity, largely in the celtics series when he outright quit and rolled over because he was miffed about something.  lebron is a poor quality person who has surrounded himself with yes men and he hasn't heard the word no since he was probably 13 or younger.  that's why people don't like him.  and the "show" he put on this summer cemented his image as a narcissistic buffoon.  what more is there to say?  i wouldn't live and die by espn's poll that it's all black folks and therefore all racist.  after all, espn produced nematoads like olbermann and andy cooper who have gone on to such great things.  i am sure their polls are not the end all of public opinion.  i find plenty of white 'stars' to be despicable for their acts.  brett "never quit" favre is just tiresome and annoying.  roger "truth dodger" clemens drove me nuts with his dumb crap as a red sock and now in his retirement he has really gone off the deep end with this denial crap- more narcissism, delusions of grandeur, etc. but clemens and favre type narcissism doesn't stack up to the severity of crimes of mikey vick with the dogs, rae carruth with the dead pregnant GF and ray what's his name with the ravens who bought himself out of a murder trial, and OJ with the paid off double murder rap have to be some of the most odious criminal athletes to come down the pike, ever.  they are all black.  who cares.  their crimes are so gross it gives you a rash to think about it.  that's what people don't like.  are there white athletes who have been thug murderers or serial animal abusers?  i honestly don't know- i think vick takes the cake for the dog racket but i am sure there have been white athletes who have done horrible things.  can't remember any recently that pop to mind.
    Posted by aciemvp[/QUOTE]

-

You just don't understand, it's all about poverty and bad schools . . .  parenting, character, the gene pool, they have no bearing whatsoever.

Wink

Ever been to rural Maine?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

lebron is right...

see...ESPN and the boys and girls club come up with an idea for lebron to announce where he was going and to donate a boatload of money to those in need...it was a win-win for everyone but lebron who is surprised by this

look, im not saying the man doesnt have an ego the size of texas...but lets be rational about it here...he saw a chance to do good things for people in need, espn saw the chance for ratings and lebron thought he would be advancing his brand

meh, whatever...all will be forgotten when the heat sweep their way to the finals and through them

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Waynestarr. Show Waynestarr's posts

[QUOTE]lebron is right... see...ESPN and the boys and girls club come up with an idea for lebron to announce where he was going and to donate a boatload of money to those in need...it was a win-win for everyone but lebron who is surprised by this look, im not saying the man doesnt have an ego the size of texas...but lets be rational about it here...he saw a chance to do good things for people in need, espn saw the chance for ratings and lebron thought he would be advancing his brand meh, whatever...all will be forgotten when the heat sweep their way to the finals and through them
    Posted by Jimmy42Jack0[/QUOTE]

I agree. Now I see why minorities always say: "They will never understand"...

I can see why by reading some of these delusional posts and how things are always twisted and spun around to make it seem like minorities are always whining about race.

If you never lived in THEIR shoes, meaning minorities, you don't know what it's like to be discriminated against.

Just read some of the comments whenever a minority athlete or actor does something wrong on yahoo, aol, etc. you'll think you're reading a blog from a KKK or Skinhead site.

Enough said, I'm done.

*shakes head*

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from sinus007. Show sinus007's posts

Hi,
    If criticism of Lebron is racially motivated then Magic and MJ are white supremacists. They must be: they never quit on their teams and they've got rings.

This is beyond ridiculous.

AK

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Calmy. Show Calmy's posts

Shameful.  People dislike Lebron because he has revealed himself to be obnoxiously self centered.  People feel the EXACT same way about Favre and his tired am I going to retire or not routine he pulls every year.  I'm pretty sure Brett doesn't get to pull the race card.

It is 2010 Lebron, and while sadly there will always be a population that has racist attitudes, most in this country are well beyond that.  We don't think you're a D b a g because of the color of your skin.  We think you're a D b a g because you're a D b a g.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Calmy. Show Calmy's posts

#5 Kobe Bryant (I just don't like him because he's on the Lakers. Alot of people don't like the Lakers, so it would only make sense as to why they don't like their franchise player)

I think the fact that most people think he is a rapist probably doesn't do a ton for his public image. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Waynestarr. Show Waynestarr's posts

Look, I'm not saying all criticism of LeBron is racially motivated, I'm just saying there IS a contingent of racism directed at LeBron because of his race.

Racism is still alive and well, and anyone who believes otherwise, is just ignorant and don't want to believe it doesn't exist.

I read an article saying that more blacks are rallying around LeBron because they think he is being overly criticized by the majority white population in this country for his choice to dump Cleveland on national television.

It's called "Black Protectionism", try to find and read that article.

Of course there are plenty of blacks that dislike LeBron for what he did, but there is an element of racism entwined in all this backlash against LeBron.

That's pretty much what LeBron was saying when he made his comment, if you read between the lines.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

lebron's got a homey named maverick carter making high-level decisions for him. carter appears somewhat dubious, with a turkey streak, and to be in over his head. hence, this race card accusation BS amid so much resentment.

i'm guessing lebron's in for a rough ride and things'll get worse for him before they get better. sweep their way to and thru the finals? not this year. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tmot1234. Show tmot1234's posts

[QUOTE]# 5 Kobe Bryant (I just don't like him because he's on the Lakers. Alot of people don't like the Lakers, so it would only make sense as to why they don't like their franchise player) I think the fact that most people think he is a rapist probably doesn't do a ton for his public image. 
    Posted by Calmy[/QUOTE]

That's true...but because that was never proven that it was actually rape, I won't use that against him.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from tmot1234. Show tmot1234's posts

[QUOTE]Look, I'm not saying all criticism of LeBron is racially motivated, I'm just saying there IS a contingent of racism directed at LeBron because of his race. Racism is still alive and well, and anyone who believes otherwise, is just ignorant and don't want to believe it doesn't exist. I read an article saying that more blacks are rallying around LeBron because they think he is being overly criticized by the majority white population in this country for his choice to dump Cleveland on national television. It's called "Black Protectionism", try to find and read that article. Of course there are plenty of blacks that dislike LeBron for what he did, but there is an element of racism entwined in all this backlash against LeBron. That's pretty much what LeBron was saying when he made his comment, if you read between the lines.
    Posted by Waynestarr[/QUOTE]

I won't argue that.....I just think that if you take away his TV show as if it never happened....half the people who hate Lebron wouldn't feel as strongly as they do now. ALOT of people expected him to leave Cleveland.....with what they surrounded him with there......I would have been shocked if he stayed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from walton. Show walton's posts

[QUOTE]I beg to differ, let's not be naive here. If you look at ESPN's most disliked athletes, THE TOP 6 ARE BLACK ATHLETES. Where's Ben Rothlesberger and Brett Favre in the top 5 or 6? It's nothing new that black athletes and actors are vilified for acts that white athletes and actors get a slap on the wrist and instantly given a second chance on. If you listen to what LeBron said, he said: "he thinks so AT TIMES"... I saw a sportswriter on ESPN today mentioning that he couldn't print some of the comments about LeBron after his decision because alot of them were so racially tinged. You may not be a racist, but let's not be delusional to the fact that race did play a factor in a lot of hate towards LeBron. Not all people that dislike him are racist, but there's a precentage of them that ARE racist.
    Posted by Waynestarr[/QUOTE]

I'm sure you're right that some of the "feeling" toward Lebron was racially tinged, however, the whole way the decision was handled "turned off" alot of sports fans. It was very "tacky." I played sports through college and beyond. I played basketball and had many afro american teammates. I spent time in their homes and they in mine. I had a couple of black roomates, etc. etc. The truth be known that afro americans and other minorities  are some of the most racist people on earth. This isn't me being critical but a fact. Many afro americans are anti-semites. Many are anti asian. The conflicts between the  black and hispanic communities are legendary. I can't tell you the number of times I laughed until I cried listening to my afro american friends rake the "honkies" over the coals and make fun of them. I don't think racism is unique to whites, blacks, asians, hispanics or anyone else for that matter. Just saying....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Waynestarr. Show Waynestarr's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Did Lebron really just pull the race card? :                  I'm sure you're right that some of the "feeling" toward Lebron was racially tinged, however, the whole way the decision was handled "turned off" alot of sports fans. It was very "tacky." I played sports through college and beyond. I played basketball and had many afro american teammates. I spent time in their homes and they in mine. I had a couple of black roomates, etc. etc. The truth be known that afro americans and other minorities  are some of the most racist people on earth. This isn't me being critical but a fact. Many afro americans are anti-semites. Many are anti asian. The conflicts between the  black and hispanic communities are legendary. I can't tell you the number of times I laughed until I cried listening to my afro american friends rake the "honkies" over the coals and make fun of them. I don't think racism is unique to whites, blacks, asians, hispanics or anyone else for that matter. Just saying....
    Posted by walton[/QUOTE]

LOL

Generalize don't you much? You just pretty much called a whole race of people racist.

Not all blacks are criminals, racists and thugs, and remember, whites pretty much control corporate America.

Blacks with degrees STILL don't get paid as much as whites with the same job.

Stop trying to use reverse psycology and research what I just said...and those are FACTS my friend.

"Just sayin"...

*rolls eyes*

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

ok...lets put the shoe on the other foot here for a second gentlemen(and some of you ladies)

if everyone called you the king since you were a kid...do ya think you would have an ego? im sure you would too

if when obliging the terms of your previous contract gave you the chance to become a free agent and go wherever you please...would you not jump at said chance? especially if you lived in cleveland of all places? -yeah...so would i

if espn wanted to make your "decision" into a chance to dump tons on money on people who actually need the help, would you turn it down? think of what people would say to those who dont help kids?

quite simply...lebron doesnt want to be like mike, nor charles, nor kobe, nor anyone else who came before him...he is his own man-child and as long as he isnt beating women up, running over people while drunk/stoned, writing books that state "give me the damn ball" or anything crazy like that...why should he be so hated? hint...it is indeed because he is black in a white media dominated sport

if you are black and an analyst of basketball for a major media market...its because chances are...you played the game at the NBA level and people think you might know what you are talking about...thats all

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from crono420. Show crono420's posts

[QUOTE]Alright...you both make some valid points, and I'll give you that. But, race has nothing to do with having your own hour long ESPN special to announce what team you're signing with. And from all the people I've talked to, that's 99% of the reason that they don't like him anymore. And if it was about race...then how come no one is giving Wade or Bosh a hard time? I'm not saying that he doesn't have to deal with it racism...I just don't think that's why nobody likes him anymore. Just my opinion. By the way...I hope that when we play Miami, Delonte remembers the right hook Wade gives him in this video.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7xlzLOZH5c lol...that video cracks me up every time...
    Posted by tmot1234[/QUOTE]

Serioulsly nobody likes a drama queen who takes an hour long special to stab his former team in the back, black or white.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Did Lebron really just pull the race card? : - You just don't understand, it's all about poverty and bad schools . . .  parenting, character, the gene pool, they have no bearing whatsoever. Ever been to rural Maine?
    Posted by RajonRondowski[/QUOTE]

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Hey Buddy..............I just moved to rural Maine.....I think.....well, actually I'm in mid coastal Maine....but....watch it Bro....!!!    :-)   .....just kidding "ski"