Die Heart Boston fan admits...Lakers are the team to beat!!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

Die Heart Boston fan admits...Lakers are the team to beat!!!

Please know that I am a Celtic fan in my 70s going back to the Cousy/Sharman days. (Sox too Williams, DiMaggio etc.).  Spent 1st 21 years in Maine then military(USMC) & jobs brought me to California past 45 years. But it is in night and day different SF and not LA that I live.  I am first a Boston teams fan---roots run deep---but also a local team fan. We hate LA teams & have the same bitter rivalry as Boston vs. NY teams(mostly Sox-Yanks & Pats-Jets). SF, the west coast Bay Area, is a nice quaint town, hills, seafood etc. similar to Boston.  LA has smog & Hollywood Blvd is trolled by bunch of junkies, pimps, hookers, transvestites, bookies, vagabonds, hoodlums etc. Guess what ??? Many of these are fans.  At the Forum the TVs show Jack Nicholson and all the tinsel town stars at the choice seats near the court. But up in the stands, it's a dangerous area for Laker opponent fans.  How about MLB opening day when Dodgers beat Giants yet a taunted SF fan argued back & got severely beaten and is in critical condition. 

I would like to add that most sports bars here in No. Cal when Celtics play the Lakers have at least 75%, I estimate, of fans rooting for Boston as if they were the Golden State Warriors. But now to the Laker team & not the fans. As much as I hate them---same with Yankees---and I'm still smarting from game 7 last year and disparity in foul shots, they basically won with the sometimes Avatar type Kobe(best since Michael Jordan I think) hitting only 6-24(25%) and the team only 32% because we were out-rebounded and they got 2nd & 3rd chances.  I personally think our team this year is not a cohesive a group now w/o Perkins & Sheed.  JON, based on performance past 2 games, is not going to save us.  

I hate to say it but the Lakers are the team to beat. They have the best 3 man combo in the paint, Gasol, Bynum & Odom.  And even if Kobe, Artest, Fisher have off shooting nights when they get another shot from an offensive rebound, they don't usually miss 2 in a row.  We, on the other hand, need Ray, Pierce & Garnett to shoot almost 50%---don't need worry about a rebound when 1/2 shots go in the basket ! One of the reasons Ray Allen appears in a slump is that it's tough to get free as opponents seem to have another defender leaving Rondo almost free to shoot at will. We can't do anything about this now. He needs to drive to the basket more & either get a big man in foul trouble or worse come to worst, get his shot blocked. I'd try & talk Sheed into returning.  Although he's not a banger like Howard of the Magic and a dunker, even not in the best shape he can give us 10-15 minutes---will probably foul out too---but can battle their biggies & tire them out too.

Don't wish to be the prophet of doom but unless WE HAVE SHAQ BACK, WE WILL NOT COMPETE WITH THE LAKERS IF WE MAKE IT THAT FAR THAT IS. IF NOT, WE WILL BE SAVED THE FRUSTRATION & DISAPPOINTMENT OF LOSING TO THE LAKERS AGAIN. I DO NOT SEE THE SPURS OR MAVS KNOCKING THEM OFF…ONLY THE THUNDER HAVE A CHANCE I THINK. AND IF THE BULLS OR HEAT WIN THE EAST, THEY LIKE US DO NOT HAVE THE BIG MEN TO COMPETE UNDER THE BASKET.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rsalas67m. Show rsalas67m's posts

Re: Die Heart Boston fan admits...Lakers are the team to beat!!!

Though the Lakers seem to be invincible at the moment, one key injury and Laker fans would be talking like many Boston fans--what coulda, woulda, shoulda, etc.

I've been a fan of the Lakers since the 60s and boy did I suffer as a kid watching Boston win all of the battles. So as a young man in the 80s I was still a non-believer, always thinking worse case scenario, expecting the Lakers to falter in 1980 in particular. But low and behold, Magic Johnson was not about to let that happen. And that was a sparkling era for the Lakers even though Boston won a couple.

As for Mondobello trashing the city of L.A., how does anyone try to respond to such ignorance. I have a homeless brother living in Frisco and there are a lot of seedy places, people in that city as well. That's the nature of urban America where far too many people only care about themsleves and not the community.

The 80s Celtics taught the Bad Boy Pistons how to play rough and the Pistons taught the Jordan-led Bulls how to play physical to win. So the torch is always being handed to the next team, the next era. I put things in perspective because of history.

For most NBA franchises, winning the title means everything. But for the Lakers, it's just icing on the championship cake. I just enjoy the ride when my team is winning and learn to disconnect when they play like crap, knowing that it could at any minute.

No one can predict this year's outcome. I'll just enjoy the ride and realize that this is just a game with a couple of guys trying to put a ball in a hoop. If they win, so be it. If they lose, it happens. I'm not a fanatic but a pragmatist. I would encourage everyone not to become the "Taliban" fan of Sports. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Rico I know you agree on all points your credentials as a Celtic are very murky.  Mandobello,  I appreciate your thoughtful comments but they are not enlightening at all.  We all know we have to get healthy.  Like last year maybe we can, we look much better the last two games and I do not think it is any surprise the Lakers will probably be there. The Celtics are capable of winning it all if healthy that is all any of us can say right now.   

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tayshawn. Show Tayshawn's posts

In Response to Re: Die Heart Boston fan admits...Lakers are the team to beat!!!:
    [QUOTE]Rico I know you agree on all points your credentials as a Celtic are very murky.  Mandobello,  I appreciate your thoughtful comments but they are not enlightening at all.  We all know we have to get healthy.  Like last year maybe we can, we look much better the last two games and I do not think it is any surprise the Lakers will probably be there. The Celtics are capable of winning it all if healthy that is all any of us can say right now.   
    Posted by concord27[/QUOTE]

Cry

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MsLithium21. Show MsLithium21's posts

Concord, my views exactly - more or less word for word.  Rsalas - thank you for your wisdom. 

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tayshawn. Show Tayshawn's posts

In Response to Re: Die Heart Boston fan admits...Lakers are the team to beat!!!:
    [QUOTE]Stop it with the healthy nonsense. If you buy a 1970 car don't expect it to perform like a 2011 car. We took a risk signing old players and that is what we get. Of course they are hurt, they are old players and JO has had that rotten knee all his career. Did anyone expect they would be  healthy all year???? Thanks Mr. Ainge...
    Posted by RicoCeltic[/QUOTE]

RicoCeltic is definitely the wisest celtic fan EVER! The car reference is on point. Most celtic fans thought that the celtics would be a dynasty when they acquired kg and ray, but the rest of the world knew that it was only good for 2 or 3 years max. Now you add Shaq and JO, and think these are some type of saviors, but the problem is that they both have been out of their prime for the past few years. Rico, thanks for keeping it real, and I wish you continued success in trying to convince the truth to your fellow beantowners.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from guyfromtex. Show guyfromtex's posts

The Lakers are a good team but I am more concerned with Chicago. In all truth I believe that Oklahoma City and Chicago pose bigger problems than LA.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tayshawn. Show Tayshawn's posts

[QUOTE]The Miami Heat beat the Lakers twice this season, one of those wins being the only loss for the Lakers in their win streak. If the Celtics don`t get it together, I definetly will root for anybody else to beat them, even the Heat or Bulls.
    Posted by SUZUKIGSXR[/QUOTE]

The Lakers were also beaten by the cavaliers twice last season, although we still know who got the 2010 rings.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tayshawn. Show Tayshawn's posts

[QUOTE]The Lakers are a good team but I am more concerned with Chicago. In all truth I believe that Oklahoma City and Chicago pose bigger problems than LA.
    Posted by guyfromtex[/QUOTE]

If you are a celtics fan, you should be worried about anyone that they have to play. Wink

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from larrykevinchief. Show larrykevinchief's posts

[QUOTE]Stop it with the healthy nonsense. If you buy a 1970 car don't expect it to perform like a 2011 car. We took a risk signing old players and that is what we get. Of course they are hurt, they are old players and JO has had that rotten knee all his career. Did anyone expect they would be  healthy all year???? Thanks Mr. Ainge...

They have not had their roster intact one game this year.  And speaking of your lame car analogies - I've heard that one before - so, would you expect a vinyl album to work as well as a CD?  A full roster includes BOTH Shaq and JON.  What is our record when they BOTH play.

I STILL think we can win the East, and STILL think we are the only team out there that can beat the lakers (OKC would do well, but I don't think they will play them)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from larrykevinchief. Show larrykevinchief's posts

[QUOTE]It's "Die Hard" not "Die Heart". Review your English 101 notes. Your Cs are cooked. 2nd round elimination. Maybe 1st if you play Sixers. The team is old. Period! And Shaq is 40. If you're resting your hopes on him forget it.
    Posted by Beat-Boston[/QUOTE]

lakers are oldest team in the league.
    Shaq is 39
    We will KILL the Sixers
    And your moniker is lame!

Other than that, great job!

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MsLithium21. Show MsLithium21's posts

OK, I disagree about the "right to brag."  I have no problem with intelligent, respectful Lakers fans such as Rsalas.  People like him are as welcome on this board as any dyed in the wool Celtics fan.

But come on, even a critical Celtics fan such as yourself (giving you HUGE benefit of the doubt here) should understand that a good winner is chivalrous.  Maybe I have this attitude because I was born in the 70s and have only seen a few Celtic titles in my lifetime - really 3 since I started watching them in '84.  I have a lot of Laker fan friends and NEVER ONCE rubbed it in their face when the Celtics won it all.  I was always just deeply grateful for what my team was able to accomplish, and that was enough.  I never felt like I was somehow depriving myself by not making my Laker fan friends feel any worse than they already did, though since titles have generally come easier for them in my lifetime, they had less reason to be upset because they kind of knew they'd be back the following year and they were always right.

My point being, when your team does well, you celebrate it to the fullest and you treat your opponents (or their fans in our case) with class because you should want the same for yourself when the shoe is on the other foot.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

[QUOTE]OK, I disagree about the "right to brag."  I have no problem with intelligent, respectful Lakers fans such as Rsalas.  People like him are as welcome on this board as any dyed in the wool Celtics fan. But come on, even a critical Celtics fan such as yourself (giving you HUGE benefit of the doubt here) should understand that a good winner is chivalrous.  Maybe I have this attitude because I was born in the 70s and have only seen a few Celtic titles in my lifetime - really 3 since I started watching them in '84.  I have a lot of Laker fan friends and NEVER ONCE rubbed it in their face when the Celtics won it all.  I was always just deeply grateful for what my team was able to accomplish, and that was enough.  I never felt like I was somehow depriving myself by not making my Laker fan friends feel any worse than they already did, though since titles have generally come easier for them in my lifetime, they had less reason to be upset because they kind of knew they'd be back the following year and they were always right. My point being, when your team does well, you celebrate it to the fullest and you treat your opponents (or their fans in our case) with class because you should want the same for yourself when the shoe is on the other foot.
    Posted by MsLithium21[/QUOTE]

You and I have the same attitude.  I teach in LA.  Tons of lakers fans.  In 2008, in June, I wrote on the board, "sorry to disappoint you, but I don't gloat!  I've waited 22 years for this, and you cannot ruin it.  I will be in a great mood all day, and you cannot wreck it.  Sometimes there's just nothing to say."

They were very respectful and left me alone.  The last two years, they haven't gloated to me, either.  But I am hopeful I can have a re-write on the board this year.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tayshawn. Show Tayshawn's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Die Heart Boston fan admits...Lakers are the team to beat!!! : You and I have the same attitude.  I teach in LA.  Tons of lakers fans.  In 2008, in June, I wrote on the board, "sorry to disappoint you, but I don't gloat!  I've waited 22 years for this, and you cannot ruin it.  I will be in a great mood all day, and you cannot wreck it.  Sometimes there's just nothing to say." They were very respectful and left me alone.  The last two years, they haven't gloated to me, either.  But I am hopeful I can have a re-write on the board this year.
    Posted by hedleylamarr[/QUOTE]

Seriously? Anyone that has read even 2% of your posts knows that you are full of it. WOW!

Surprised

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tayshawn. Show Tayshawn's posts

[QUOTE]Thanks Tayshawn, Like the rivalry between Celtics and Lakers fans. Your Lakers are playing Amazing and incredible ball. I mean 17 - 1, has this been done before????? Lakers are just blowing out teams. Your organization is well run, I just wish I could say the same about mine. We will be better once we get new owners and fire Ainge which should happen this off season. When we win #18 in a few years I will be bothering you too and I know you won't take it personal like a lot of posters here. Keep supporting your team you have the right to brag. Regards.

To answer your question about the 17-1, I tried to find out, but could not. The best finish to a season (41 games) was 36-5 by the Utah Jazz in 1996–97 season.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MsLithium21. Show MsLithium21's posts

GREAT post Hedley!  I hope and pray that you get to re-write that glorious message THIS June.  :)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

I will never admit to the superiority of the Lakers!... You mean to tell me that these so called giants were taken to the seventh game last year by a bunch of old men? They were beaten until the old men ran out of gas, and the young center is the one who got hurt...two if you include Bynum...these old men held koby to 25% shooting..and walked through the East like nothing..yes, when they tire, they look old,(especially in b2bs) but when they play like they're capable, ie, playoffs, its a thing of beauty, which no other team can match, including the vaunted lakers. But i guess last year did't count. What happens when these Lakers face someone who is simply not intimidated by them? They blink. I'm sorry, but i saw fear in their eyes in game 7 last year. They were losing to a team with a 6 ft 8 in center!Who will be our third string center, IF the Oneil's are playing. The healthier team won last year, and the healthier team will win it again.This is exactly why Ainge, kept the Oneils  out for so long. He wants them ready to go, when it counts.
    Talk about short memories.
     Rondo and BB are much better, Green will give us a new dimension, and shack will me extra motivated because it could be his last hurah. Anything we get out of the other Oneil is gravy. I don't see these guys going quietely into retirement just yet. Don't underestimate the heart of a champion, you could be surprised, again!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

posted at 4/2/2011 1:20 PM EDT
    www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=472467753526ed2593cebeb6ae3f14fe&plckUserId=472467753526ed2593cebeb6ae3f14fe">
    First: 3/16/2011
    Last: 4/2/2011
    I had a ball with all the bandwagon Lakers fans in Puerto Rico in 08. I did not sleep sending text messages all night and on facebook like for a month and they have done the same with me, including my brother and right now with their 17 - 1 out of this world record they don't take their foot off the pedal just like I wouldn't a few months back. I don't have to prove to no one that I am a Die hard Celtics fan but I will not stand next to Ainge when he blows an air and keep sniffing and saying it smells like roses. I refuse to be a Tommy Heinsohn Green Glasses type of fan, It's just not in me. I rather be a realist and see the thing the way they are and not how I wished or hoped they were I am totally different. I am ME and who ever doesn't like it too bad but I let everyone be who they want to be even a Tommy Heinsohn Green Glasses type of fan which I HATE but respect it's their CHOICE and don't attack because they see things threw Tommy's green glasses. CAN'T STAND EXCUSES...
    Dwight Howard and Austin Rivers will be Celtics in 2012 According to Mr. Bad Luck Jinx P34, Fierce-34 or whatever he's calling him self today.
    By the way I don't have a man Crush on Paul Pierce... Or Kyceltic for that matter...

Rico:Don't use the word we and Celtic you are no Celtic fan. Everyone knows.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts