Do Celtics need homecourt to win a championship?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaPrince77. Show DaPrince77's posts

Do Celtics need homecourt to win a championship?

I was just wondering since the Celtics have already lost 2 games this year to inferior teams ( Lebron-less Cavs & Durant-less Thunder) does getting the best-record in the regular-season matter.
     Any knowledgeable Celtic fan knows the C's win a championship last year against the Lakers if game 7 was at the Garden. My personal opinion is the Celts would like to have a #1 or #2 seed, because it would be advantageous to be home. However, I feel that their first priority is to be  healthy as possible for the playoffs, therefore their regular season record will most likely suffer. If this turns out to be the case, the Green will have to beat some of the top teams in the NBA on the road to win Banner 18, can they win on the road? If healthy I believe they can. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

Re: Do Celtics need homecourt to win a championship?

If it's against the Lakers the Celtics need home court advantage. The Lakers are not a very good road team unless they're playing the Timberwolves. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

I think the C's would have had won last years finals if they had home court advantage. HCA is very important in my opinion. A lot of times its not needed to win a playoff series as the C's prooved last season. When you're playing a team as good as the Lakers, it's very important as last seasoned prooved. That last sentence sure left a bad taste in my mouth, but it's the truth.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

In Response to Re: Do Celtics need homecourt to win a championship?:
    [QUOTE]I think the C's would have had won last years finals if they had home court advantage. HCA is very important in my opinion. A lot of times its not needed to win a playoff series as the C's prooved last season. When you're playing a team as good as the Lakers, it's very important as last seasoned prooved. That last sentence sure left a bad taste in my mouth, but it's the truth.
    Posted by mem17[/QUOTE]

I think it's unfair because the Lakers have 3 home courts, their own, the Clippers' and the Target Center. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

They must not think so, or they wouldn't have lost to the Cavs, and the Thunder!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

[QUOTE] They must not think so, or they wouldn't have lost to the Cavs, and the Thunder!
    Posted by kyceltic[/QUOTE]

How many wins do you think the Celtics will get this year?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do Celtics need homecourt to win a championship? : How many wins do you think the Celtics will get this year?
    Posted by P34[/QUOTE]

After you!!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do Celtics need homecourt to win a championship? :  After you!!!

I already have a thread about it, "57 Wins" is the title of the thread.

I think the Cs can get 57 wins this season. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do Celtics need homecourt to win a championship? : I already have a thread about it, "57 Wins" is the title of the thread. I think the Cs can get 57 wins this season. 
    Posted by P34[/QUOTE]

I don't think 57 gets homecourt, and they better want homecourt, so i'm going to say 61!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rayallen1. Show rayallen1's posts

We don't need homecourt.  What the Celtics need is David Stern's hitmen.  Unfortunetly, the stripes are all employed by the lakers, and the lakers' soft schedule the last few years are quite suspicious also. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rayallen1. Show rayallen1's posts

[QUOTE]Wow, as a Laker fan then I should just sit back on my coach and expect many more championships to come. It's fixed and Stern has already mailed it in. Then why even bother to watch? Why even bother to analyze, criticize, or dissect players & teams? It's all a waste of time according to many posters on this board. We might as well watch Wrestlemania.
    Posted by rsalas67m[/QUOTE]

I have answer this question here:

http://www.boston.com/community/forums.html?plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3aSportsForum%3a734e2bc9-e1bc-49d6-8355-64f9a8500246Discussion%3a6c2dfff6-9b42-42e3-9ace-4a6af82c92fc

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdm894g. Show jdm894g's posts

This team does not need home court advantage to win.  They were within a few minutes of winning it all in LA withou Perkins and Ray Allen struggling.

For the CELTICS to win, they need to become an inside out team in the playoffs.  Dump it down low to SHAQ and let him go to work.  Have Perkins and JON come off the bench to continue to wear down the opponents 2nd unit.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do Celtics need homecourt to win a championship? :  I don't think 57 gets homecourt, and they better want homecourt, so i'm going to say 61!!

I agree that they should consider having homecourt to be important.  They would need to win 61 or more games for this to happen.  I really hope they can do this.  If Doc rests his players like he did last year, they won't have home court.  Having Perk back and able to oontribute is also important for them in the playoffs.  They may struggle later in the season if Perk isn't back, which could make it very difficult for them to win many games. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

take a good look at the lakers' schedule. they will host boston on jan 30. ask yourself how many losses the lakers are apt to have by then. 61 wins will not secure home court for the celtics or anyone else outside of LA. celtics achieving HCA is folly. Cs must depend on health, rest and guile to achieve their / our goal. imo.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from KGLove. Show KGLove's posts

In Response to Do Celtics need homecourt to win a championship?:
    [QUOTE]I was just wondering since the Celtics have already lost 2 games this year to inferior teams ( Lebron-less Cavs & Durant-less Thunder) does getting the best-record in the regular-season matter.  Any knowledgeable Celtic fan knows the C's win a championship last year against the Lakers if game 7 was at the Garden. My personal opinion is the Celts would like to have a #1 or #2 seed, because it would be advantageous to be home. However, I feel that their first priority is to be  healthy as possible for the playoffs, therefore their regular season record will most likely suffer. If this turns out to be the case, the Green will have to beat some of the top teams in the NBA on the road to win Banner 18, can they win on the road? If healthy I believe they can. 
    Posted by DaPrince77[/QUOTE]

No, we need to be healthy 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Qdaddy. Show Qdaddy's posts

[QUOTE]This team does not need home court advantage to win.  They were within a few minutes of winning it all in LA withou Perkins and Ray Allen struggling. For the CELTICS to win, they need to become an inside out team in the playoffs.  Dump it down low to SHAQ and let him go to work.  Have Perkins and JON come off the bench to continue to wear down the opponents 2nd unit.
    Posted by jdm894g[/QUOTE]

To beat the Lakers, the Celtics DO need home court...and even that won't guarantee a win against the Lakers.

Last year was last year. The Lakers have improved and they're showing it. The Celtics, supposedly have improved, but it's kinda hard to tell because most of their improvements are in the trainers room.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from existentialparquet. Show existentialparquet's posts

I was looking at the standings and thinking that the Celtics potentially might not need to keep pace with the west. They might be better served to rest players when needed and try to win the east.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

HOME COURT IS NOT IMPORTANT for the Celtics to win a championship.  We had home court in last year's playoffs in every series.  We had home court against Miami and took home court in game two against Cleveland.  We took home court in games 1 and 2 against Orlando and took home court in game 2 in the Finals.

So, we had home court in each playoff series last season.  Unfortunately, we gave it right back in the Cavaliers and Lakers series.  We were so good on the road last season that we did not need home court.  Honestly, I believe we played better on the road.

And honestly, the only series that was "difficult" was the Finals.  We beat Miami in 5, beat Cleveland in 6 although it was really over in 5 and we took a 3 - 0 series lead against Orlando.  Last year's playoffs were not as difficult as the season before when we kept going 7 games starting with the classic 7 games (with several overtimes) with Chicago.

We did nothing in the regular season and it showed by our exceptional play in the playoffs.  I'm just not so sure we can duplicate that feat again.  That is the question.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

The lakers have a built in advantage in getting the home court advantage. They have three gift games with the Clippers on their home court.  Along with a very weak Western Conf.  This has already given them what appears to be a incredibly easy schedule thus far. They should be better than just a two loss team at this point of the season with who they have played to date.   I look for us to most likely loss tomorrow in Atlanta but come back strong after that.  We will be if healthy, champions again this June.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from lovetruth007. Show lovetruth007's posts

Cs proved they can win a title with home court advantage in 07-08. Without HC, they could have lost to Atlanta in the first round.

Cs have not yet proved they can win a title w/o HC. Last year, they were 4 points short.

The conclusion is that they might win one title w/o HC but HC definitely helps.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do Celtics need homecourt to win a championship? : You have proof of this, or is this your opinion? Furthermore, who cares about the lakers?  I believe the question is do the CELTICS need HC advantage to win?  I say YES.  I further say that if Game 7 last year was in the "Gahden"  we would have won.
    Posted by beatles4eva[/QUOTE]

beatles4eva, I might tend to agree with him.  Last season, we lost to Golden State, Memphis (by 22 at HOME), OKC, Phoenix twice, San Antonio, NO, Dallas.  We lost to a slew of Western Conference teams and that's a huge factor why the Lakers had HCA in the Finals.  HCA is about the Celtics winning (our play) and nobody else.

WE DO NOT NEED HOMECOURT TO WIN A CHAMPIONSHIP.  More important -- WE MUST WIN ALL OF OUR HOME GAMES.  Think about it, we won game 2 in the Cleveland, Orlando (and won game 1) and Lakers series.  We had home court after two games in each of those series.  And against Cleveland and LA, came right back and lost game 3 at home.

Bottom line, those series are done if we HOLD COURT and win at home.  We can win ANYWHERE but we HAVE to win AT HOME.  That is what's most important.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from beatles4eva. Show beatles4eva's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do Celtics need homecourt to win a championship? : beatles4eva, I might tend to agree with him.  Last season, we lost to Golden State, Memphis (by 22 at HOME), OKC, Phoenix twice, San Antonio, NO, Dallas.  We lost to a slew of Western Conference teams and that's a huge factor why the Lakers had HCA in the Finals.  HCA is about the Celtics winning (our play) and nobody else. WE DO NOT NEED HOMECOURT TO WIN A CHAMPIONSHIP.  More important -- WE MUST WIN ALL OF OUR HOME GAMES .  Think about it, we won game 2 in the Cleveland, Orlando (and won game 1) and Lakers series.  We had home court after two games in each of those series.  And against Cleveland and LA, came right back and lost game 3 at home. Bottom line, those series are done if we HOLD COURT and win at home.  We can win ANYWHERE but we HAVE to win AT HOME.  That is what's most important.
    Posted by Petey62[/QUOTE]

Petey -
    I agree with you!!  I think if either the CLE or ORL series went 7 last year, we lose!!

We need to be +20 or better at home, we have proven we can win on the road.  My point is - I don't care about the lakers, and am tired of reading about them on every single thread.  This is supposed to be a Celtics forum, isn't it? Furthermore, who says no one in the West is impressed with the East?  I'm calling him out on that, but of course, he won't even respond!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Qdaddy. Show Qdaddy's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do Celtics need homecourt to win a championship? : Petey - I agree with you!!  I think if either the CLE or ORL series went 7 last year, we lose!! We need to be +20 or better at home, we have proven we can win on the road.  My point is - I don't care about the lakers, and am tired of reading about them on every single thread.  This is supposed to be a Celtics forum, isn't it? Furthermore, who says no one in the West is impressed with the East?  I'm calling him out on that, but of course, he won't even respond!
    Posted by beatles4eva[/QUOTE]

Okay...I'll take the bait!

Why would we, as fans, or the players from the west be all that impressed by most of the eastern teams?! When we have 3 or 4 teams, playing over .500 who miss out on the playoffs, while the east, with 3 or 4 teams with losing records get in...are we supposed to be impressed by those teams?! We'll give due respect to the contenders (i.e. Boston, Orlando, Cleveland last year), but there are few others that scare the west. And since this thread started about "home court advantage", can't you see how those eastern title contenders lost out on HCA because they lose to the west's non-elite teams?!

The Lakers usually beat those same teams that the east is losing to. Because of that, they end up with HCA. A lot of you like to boast about how "tough" the east is, but the Lakers and other west teams have not backed off any team from the east. That's just the way it is.

Sections
Shortcuts