Do you trade Courtney Lee

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

Do you trade Courtney Lee

This is a young player (28 years young) who rebounded from an awful year to become one of the top 3 point shooters in the league right now (Mike&Tommy seemed to think Lee is 2nd in the NBA right now in 3pt%) and has become a huge spark off the bench for this team. In addition to his shooting, he is also an above average rebounder and defender for a guard. He's got size, strength and athleticism.

Now, I'm not saying that Lee is a starting SG on a championship team. However, do you trade a role player who is thriving in a role that is critical for an NBA team to succeed, who is also locked into a reasonable contract for his role and can still continue to improve?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris33. Show chris33's posts

Re: Do you trade Courtney Lee

No.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

Personally, I do not move him right now.

Part of me wants to sell high, similar to Jordan Crawford, but if we trade Lee, we are going to need another Lee to replace him. So why force a trade?

I've always been a proponent of a Lee & Bass standing offer for Asik, but I think I retract that offer right now. I like the idea of packaging Bass, Brooks and possibly the Clippers 2015 1st. Although, I do wonder the same thing about Bass. Bass is super, super handy to have on your NBA team. A unique stretch 4 who can body-up legitimate Centers like Dwight Howard and at the same time can protect the perimeter. He's also shown the ability to block occasionally from the weak side and is developing his version of a post game. Bass' rebound number have never been what they should be, but they aren't terrible.

At the end of the day, I do upgrade Bass with Asik. Asik solidifies our four man rotation of bigs. Sully and Asik start games, Olynyk and Favarani are off the bench. Humphries is the back-up when one is hurt or not playing well. The only issue that isn't talked about enough is that Asik can't shoot and Brad prefers bigs who can shoot the ball. Not sure how that plays out.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdandCowens. Show BirdandCowens's posts

In response to R9R's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Personally, I do not move him right now.

Part of me wants to sell high, similar to Jordan Crawford, but if we trade Lee, we are going to need another Lee to replace him. So why force a trade?

I've always been a proponent of a Lee & Bass standing offer for Asik, but I think I retract that offer right now. I like the idea of packaging Bass, Brooks and possibly the Clippers 2015 1st. Although, I do wonder the same thing about Bass. Bass is super, super handy to have on your NBA team. A unique stretch 4 who can body-up legitimate Centers like Dwight Howard and at the same time can protect the perimeter. He's also shown the ability to block occasionally from the weak side and is developing his version of a post game. Bass' rebound number have never been what they should be, but they aren't terrible.

At the end of the day, I do upgrade Bass with Asik. Asik solidifies our four man rotation of bigs. Sully and Asik start games, Olynyk and Favarani are off the bench. Humphries is the back-up when one is hurt or not playing well. The only issue that isn't talked about enough is that Asik can't shoot and Brad prefers bigs who can shoot the ball. Not sure how that plays out.

[/QUOTE]

With props to me..............

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris33. Show chris33's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Think about it, Jared Sullinger is still 21 years old, Olynyk and Pressey are 22 years old, Vitor and Jordan Crawford are 25 years old, and Avery Bradley is 23 years old.

The question is, is Courtney Lee part of the future plans?

Remember, Lee will get 5.5m, on average, next season and the season after that.

So is Lee worth 5.5m per year just to play 17 minutes per game?

[/QUOTE]

Bradley may leave.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

In response to chris33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Think about it, Jared Sullinger is still 21 years old, Olynyk and Pressey are 22 years old, Vitor and Jordan Crawford are 25 years old, and Avery Bradley is 23 years old.

[/QUOTE]

Bradley may leave.

[/QUOTE]

Why?  Just pay him what he deserves.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

In response to Mployee8's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to prakash's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to chris33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Bradley may leave.

[/QUOTE]

Why?  Just pay him what he deserves.

[/QUOTE]

Danny says he's worth $6MM/yr ... Do you think Danny will agree to go as high as $8-9MM for Bradley?

[/QUOTE]

Yes if AB completes this season injury free and continues his stellar play.  What did Danny pay Jeff Green?  AB is currently a lot more consistent and is performing at a higher level.  Yes, Danny was a little bit backed into the corner with Jeff Green.  But he will be backed into a corner with AB as well.

Market Reference: Montae Ellis signed for 3/26, Brandon Jennings signed for 3/24 and Jeff Teague signed for 4/32.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

[QUOTE]

If he continues to play like this the entire year I think a case can be made for $7MM but those other guys are all PG's with much more responsibility ... something AB failed at. He's a shooter and to his credit a two way player that adds value with his defense but on the other hand if you look at Tony Allen, another defensive stopper with a descent offensive game, not as good as AB's but somewhat comparable, he's only getting $5MM/yr for the next four years. I think AB may be worth more but Danny is pretty much on target at $6MM per based on his years in the league and the chance that this is a one year freak in his statistics. He could continue to play like this or he could revert back to what he's been the last few years so he needs to prove himself with this next contract for a few years just as Rondo did before cashing in for $8MM or more per year. JMO

[/QUOTE]

Others may be point guards.  The summary of that argument is that they produce on multiple dimensions.  AB is shooting very well, has great individual and team defensive presence on the floor and is rebounding very well.  I say that he is producing on multiple dimensions.

Regarding comparison to Tony Allen, there is no comparision between what AB is doing on offense this year and what Tony Allen can do on the offensive end.  Tony Allen is an atrocious offensive player.  And Montae Ellis is a 2.

Danny's choice will be simple, pay him or let him walk away.  He can't let him walk away.  He can trade him but then he better get a real dollar bill in return.  I just don't see too many scenarios for that.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to prakash's comment:

[QUOTE]

Others may be point guards.  The summary of that argument is that they produce on multiple dimensions.  AB is shooting very well, has great individual and team defensive presence on the floor and is rebounding very well.  I say that he is producing on multiple dimensions.

Regarding comparison to Tony Allen, there is no comparision between what AB is doing on offense this year and what Tony Allen can do on the offensive end.  Tony Allen is an atrocious offensive player.  And Montae Ellis is a 2.

Danny's choice will be simple, pay him or let him walk away.  He can't let him walk away.  He can trade him but then he better get a real dollar bill in return.  I just don't see too many scenarios for that.

[/QUOTE]

Not so sure about that ... AB is avg only 3 more pts per game than Allen ... other than a higher 3 pt% (400 vs 250) their stats are about the same with Allen having a better FG%, 1 more Asst and 1 more Steal per game than AB. Not sure those 3 points are worth another $3MM/yr.

Wasn't AB a late 1st rounder ... 16-18?

If Danny gets back that pick or another young prospect he'd do the S&T. If he pays AB $8MM/yr it's almost certain that Crawford goes unless Rondo ended up in a big trade but that's not likely to happen till Feb at the earliest.

[/QUOTE]

Tony Allen may be scoring 10 pts/game.  But he exclusively scores on drives to the basket.  He is an atrocious outside shooter.  This ends up clogging the lanes.  AB on the other hand is almost exclusively hitting outside shots.  This helps spacing a lot.  This makes a big difference to the offensive execution.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

[QUOTE]

Agreed but does how he scores make him $3MM more valuable ... that's all ... I'm OK with $6-7MM but not any more than that.

[/QUOTE]

We will just have to wait and see.  I think that if AB keeps playing this way, he gets his approx. $8M.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

If you get a good deal for Lee of course you move him. There isn't anyone untouchable on this team, with the possible exception of Sully.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kdp59. Show kdp59's posts

In response to 37stories' comment:
    [QUOTE]

If you get a good deal for Lee of course you move him. There isn't anyone untouchable on this team, with the possible exception of Sully.  

[/QUOTE]

I agree.

I've alwasy liked Lee and feel he gets a raw deal from some Celtcis fans ( he isn't Ray Allen guys!).

we can do a lot worst for $5M/year at off guard than Lee, IMO.

but that said, if Ainge can improve the team by moving Lee, he should.

Just like Bass, Brooks and a late first round pick in 2015 or after for Asik improves the Celtics.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdandCowens. Show BirdandCowens's posts

I think he has to try to move Lee.  We can't keep Bradley, Crawford and Lee next year.........AND have Rondo!

Too much money tied up in midgets!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

You guys aren't understanding this post.

The point is, once we move Lee, we will need a good backup 3&D guy at SG.

Once we move Bass, we will need someone to defend the Melos of the world.

These two guy are young. 27/28 is young when your team is built around a 28 year old Rondo. You can't just keep getting younger by selling all your solid role guys who are in the beginning of their prime... Its not like we can get Harden for Lee. The most we can get for Lee and Bass is a borderline starter or a mediocre pick, a pick that we HOPE will become as good of a contributor as one of these two guys in 5 years...

Its just making less and less sense to me. It certainly doesn't look like Bass & Lee are blocking the way for our young guys. Maybe Bass, but Sully is still getting 30+ mpg and KO is not in a position to take on more than 10-15mpg at this point as a rookie ...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

First off, I said a while ago Lees' biggest problem last year was Doc. Having said that, Lees future with this team isn't really in his hands, it is dependent on the actions of the Gs around him.If we plan to sign both Crawford and AB and keep Rondo, Lee will be the odd man out.  Lee is the atypical Jack of all trades and master of none player He is a good ball handler not a great one,he is a good shooter not a great one,he is a good defender not a great one and he brings good effort and attitude but the results aren't always there and  he's not high priced and he's not cheap either . Lee has run into this situation since he's been in the NBA, the odd man out. He's like a cool option on a new car,great but not great enough to base my decision on. I like what Lee brings to the table but I can't see us having over 30+ mil tied a on 4 Gs. If there is a team that thinks it really close to making a serious run that has 1 good but redundent higher priced player thats contract is >3 yrs, Lee and Wallace would be able to make that happen in a deal.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdandCowens. Show BirdandCowens's posts

In response to R9R's comment:
    [QUOTE]

You guys aren't understanding this post.

The point is, once we move Lee, we will need a good backup 3&D guy at SG.

Once we move Bass, we will need someone to defend the Melos of the world.

These two guy are young. 27/28 is young when your team is built around a 28 year old Rondo. You can't just keep getting younger by selling all your solid role guys who are in the beginning of their prime... Its not like we can get Harden for Lee. The most we can get for Lee and Bass is a borderline starter or a mediocre pick, a pick that we HOPE will become as good of a contributor as one of these two guys in 5 years...

Its just making less and less sense to me. It certainly doesn't look like Bass & Lee are blocking the way for our young guys. Maybe Bass, but Sully is still getting 30+ mpg and KO is not in a position to take on more than 10-15mpg at this point as a rookie ...

[/QUOTE]

Would you rather have Bradley and Crawford.....or Lee?

If you want Bradley and Crawford, then Lee IS a detriment to the team because of his salary.  Crawford and Bradley are both younger than Lee........and if you go with the young guys, then PAY them....and get rid of Lee. 

No one is saying he's not a good player, he's just not what we need right now, and we already are playing Bradley and Crawford more than him!