Doc As An Attraction For Free-Agents

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from teejaytee70. Show teejaytee70's posts

Re: Doc As An Attraction For Free-Agents

In response to Fierce34's comment:

http://www.celticslife.com/2013/06/doc-rivers-reportedly-believes-it-may.html

Rivers is important to the Celtics not only as a coach, but also as an attraction for free-agents. Boston is not the most exciting, warmest, or cheapest cities on the planet. The Celtics have never really signed a big name free-agent before, but players do respect Doc and some would come to Boston if recruited by him.

What proof is there that Doc is such a draw?  Shaq, maybe?  That's the only acquisition I can think of.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

This is what attracts free Agents:

1.  Money

2.  Other Team Mates / Chance at a Title 

3.  Big Market Exposure

Other:

Family Proximity, Coach, Weather

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Another stupid, redundant  thread for attention...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from wfdog. Show wfdog's posts

In response to Eldunker's comment:

This is what attracts free Agents:

1.  Money

2.  Other Team Mates / Chance at a Title 

3.  Big Market Exposure

Other:

Family Proximity, Coach, Weather

Yup! Doc has not really proven that he can attract top tier free agents. He can attract former top tier FA's who want a last pay day and he can attract mid-level FA's that he has some history with but Doc is not enough to overcome Money, Title, Weather, and Proximity.

Plus, PP & KG aren't young enough to attract top tier FA's anymore either, so no one is picking up the phone at 12:01 when one of them calls now. The only guy you're left with is RR and he can probably only attract his buddy JSmith who ironically it seems is the one top tier FA that Doc does not want!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

Actually this thread has some relevence now ...

If Doc wanted out of Boston ( a change of scenery) and we could get something from the Clippers in return ... he could absolutely coach that team to the WCF at least. Imagine Paul resigns, they have Doc, trade for KG, PP is bought out and then signs for 4M 1 year deal...

Doc & CP3 together could get some interesting free agents to sign with them. Perhaps someone like O.J mayo or J.J. Reddick to pair with CP3 in the backcourt:

CP3 

Mayo / Crawford / Green

Pierce / Butler

Griffin 

Garnett 

With a mix of vet min free agent guys off the bench, like: Watson, Robinson, Mohammed, Blair ... there are a ton of PFs out there who could back-up Griffin

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris33. Show chris33's posts

In response to Karllost's comment:

Bingo.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from wfdog. Show wfdog's posts

In response to chris33's comment:

Bingo.

As jaded as you guys seem regarding these threads, I think there is a bit of relevance because it looks like Celtics Nation may have to soon prepare for life without Doc and making a list of pros & cons may help with the sting of losing the last coach to bring us an NBA title. 

That said, it looks like it's coming down to the simple choice of would you rather have Doc or rebuild?

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from basketbert. Show basketbert's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:

http://www.celticslife.com/2013/06/doc-rivers-reportedly-believes-it-may.html

Rivers is important to the Celtics not only as a coach, but also as an attraction for free-agents. Boston is not the most exciting, warmest, or cheapest cities on the planet. The Celtics have never really signed a big name free-agent before, but players do respect Doc and some would come to Boston if recruited by him.

rubbish. where's the evidence?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from basketbert. Show basketbert's posts

In response to wfdog's comment:

Bingo.

As jaded as you guys seem regarding these threads, I think there is a bit of relevance because it looks like Celtics Nation may have to soon prepare for life without Doc and making a list of pros & cons may help with the sting of losing the last coach to bring us an NBA title. 

That said, it looks like it's coming down to the simple choice of would you rather have Doc or rebuild?

doc didn't bring us a title. KG, PP and RA did, with help by RR.

lets rebuild.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

In response to MelWitt's comment:

In response to wfdog's comment:

Bingo.

So prepare already...Doc must have heard what Danny Strange's plan is for KG and PP...Doc doesn't want any part of rebuilding and without KG, PP and WITH Rondo, Doc might want out of Boston...so let's get rid of Rondo too and get on with the rebuild with a new coach...and a new GM as well, cuz Strange is TERRIBLE.

And get a draft choice NEXT year for Rondo...what's available in this years draft is pretty much hedious.

I believe i agree with everything you just said!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from spewey. Show spewey's posts

The belief throughout the league is that Doc is very well regarded by the players.-so it would be one factor in attracting FA.  I think I recall a poll amongst players where he was rated #1 coach to play for.

BOS doesn't have the glitz of LA or NY, the low taxes of TX or FL or the warm weather of PHX.  All we have is a rabid fan base and a storied history-which may or may not figure in to a FA's decision.  So Yeah Doc matters.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from wfdog. Show wfdog's posts

I think the Clipps would want Doc in order to keep CP3 happy, so in a way I guess he can attract top tier FA's. Also, Doc seems to feel more comfortable dealing with vet pros than unproven rooks or tempermental younger guys like RR, so I choose the rebuild over Doc too.

17. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts