Doc goes big......and it works

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsdateam. Show Patsdateam's posts

Re: Doc goes big......and it works

I agree. Putting Pierce at the 2 and Green at the 3 can pretty much impose the C's will on the other teams.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

I was always intrigued by this lineup.  This lineup may work better with Terry at the point.  If the Celts can figure out the defensive style with this lineup, I will get excited.  This lineup also provides the best opportunity for Sullinger to contribute offensively.  It may be that the Celts will need to build around this lineup.  Will depend entirely upon what Jeff Green is going to become.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

This creates a logjam at SG when Avery comes back, and the team is still very thin at C. I think that lineup is great but it goes away when Avery retuns, or else Lee is benched... and KG still shouldn't be playing over 30 mins.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Kirk, going big doesn't always work, some of it is matchups, but I do like that lineup. However I could also see a smaller version with Bradley in for Green... would need some more shuffling but maybe that would work against slow teams. 

"I was always intrigued by this lineup.  This lineup may work better with Terry at the point."

Could be, but not likely to see that as Terry will be leading the second unit more often than not I think, especially afte Bradley comes back. Rondo is our starter and Terry is our backup in that sense, but he could get time on the off guard. I could also see Terry in for Green on some of these. 

Kirk one thing that threw me: Supposedly Doc is going to use 3-4 starting lineups this season. I can see some experimenting but I'd rather see some level of consistency. 

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigbostonceltics. Show bigbostonceltics's posts

the bigger the better.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from celticelmo. Show celticelmo's posts

In response to Fiercest34's comment:

In response to bigbostonceltics' comment:

the bigger the better.

That does not apply when playing the Heat.

I think it applies more so when playing the Heat. Everytime Allen comes into the game {until Avery Bradley comes back} switch Paul to the 2 and make him play Paul straight up. He could not guard P2 and I am pretty sure with Pauls experience, he will not leave Allen open in the corner and can also both his shot more. Everybody thinks they have to match up with the Heat because they won one title. They had a very tough time beating the C's when Perk was here. Camp big buys out in the middle and drop James and Wade when they come to the hole looking to dunk. Not saying end their season but make them think about it and it will get into their heads the way it use to when we played bigger.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In response to Kirk6's comment:

In response to Patsdateam's comment:

I agree. Putting Pierce at the 2 and Green at the 3 can pretty much impose the C's will on the other teams.

I am glad somebody gets it.

I hope Doc figures it out.

Somehow I think he won't.

I agree with you that Green is better at the 3.  I just don't expect Doc to play him at this position all of the time. 

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigbostonceltics. Show bigbostonceltics's posts

bottom line no more layups and second chance points.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

I would nearly bet Doc is paying attention to different lineups that work also.  We all just need to relax,  it a long season,  will be lots of ups and downs.  I have faith Doc will work it out.  No telling how many posters were calling for Docs head last year at the all star break.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

I guess this also means Hondo should have started instead of coming off the bench?  I am pretty sure he was one of our 5 best players.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

[/QUOTE]

The Celtics go on a 7-0 run and Doc immediately changes the lineup.

What the flagnog?

[/QUOTE]

I, too, think that's our best lineup until Bradley gets back.  But, once we got a lead last night, I'm sure Doc wanted to see how the traditional 2 guard lineup would handle them and play better D.

Remember last year, MANY fans complained that Doc didn't give the bench a chance and develop them.  Now, he's developing them and giving them a chance to learn the system and learn to play with starters at times.   That will cause some hiccups but will help in the long run.  Let's not complain too much because we can't have it both ways (can't let your best lineup play too much and not develop the team vs letting more people play and having some hiccups).

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to rameakap's comment:

This creates a logjam at SG when Avery comes back, and the team is still very thin at C. I think that lineup is great but it goes away when Avery retuns, or else Lee is benched... and KG still shouldn't be playing over 30 mins.

KG only logged 29:08 minutes against the Wiz.

Great. My comment was about how when you 'go big' and move Pierce to SG you are going to have to sit one of Lee or Avery much more than they deserve and will be tempted to give KG more mins than you should when you play lots of small ball lineups with Wilcox or Sully at the 5.

Of course I don't want to see Sully at the 5. I really hope Darko starts to show something, he was apparently playing so good in Europe those 1st two preseason games. I am really starting to eat my words that 12-14 solid mins of Darko will make us not need a player like Varejao.

Imagine what Varejao would add to this team right now?

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

Great. My comment was about how when you 'go big' and move Pierce to SG you are going to have to sit one of Lee or Avery much more than they deserve and will be tempted to give KG more mins than you should when you play lots of small ball lineups with Wilcox or Sully at the 5.

Of course I don't want to see Sully at the 5. I really hope Darko starts to show something, he was apparently playing so good in Europe those 1st two preseason games. I am really starting to eat my words that 12-14 solid mins of Darko will make us not need a player like Varejao.

Varejao is averaging 15 boards per game right now. The Celts will not be able to turn Bass into Varejao. In other words, it's a pipe dream.

Number one picks and thinking the Cavs may not be able to sign him (not sure how many years are left)  can always make things happen.  Who would have thought that the Magic would get what they got for Howard?  I bet you or I didn't.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In response to OneOnOne's comment:

Varejao is averaging 15 boards per game right now. The Celts will not be able to turn Bass into Varejao. In other words, it's a pipe dream.

Number one picks and thinking the Cavs may not be able to sign him (not sure how many years are left)  can always make things happen.  Who would have thought that the Magic would get what they got for Howard?  I bet you or I didn't.

Varejao is under contract until 2015. So not being able to sign him is out of the question.

Also, the only other Center for the Cavs is a rookie, Tyler Zeller.

So why trade Varejao when he's cheap compared to what Ibaka got?

And the Celts are going to be a playoff team, so the Celts' number one picks are most probably in the 20s.

The more realistic scenario is getting back Al Jefferson.

I wouldn't mind seeing Al Jefferson playing for the Celtics again.  Just not sure how this would happen and what we would have to give up. 

Sections
Shortcuts