Doc goes big......and it works

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

Re: Doc goes big......and it works

In response to Fiercest34's comment:

If that were true then OKC would have won more than just 1 game against the Heat.

The Thunder had Perk and Ibaka. But they were forced to go small against the Heat.

That is because the big lineup does not put the Thunder best 5 on the floor.  That 5 included Harden.

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

In response to Kirk6's comment:

Pierce doesn't have to guard the SG. Green can guard the SG.

But imagine smaller guards trying to guard Green or Pierce.

That is a big advantage if Pierce and/or Green are in the post.  From outside it may be less of an advantage, unless you are thinking of the mid range game.  Even there, Green may not have the ball handling skills to maneuver outside to in.  And if we send these guys to the post, we have to pull KG/Sullinger out.  So it is imperative that they both make their outside shots.

KG is a good outside shooter.  Sullinger too is a good shooter.  This may work with a lot of post screen and movement action to create separation and get switches.  The ball rests in Rondo's hand to find the right pass.  Pierce and Green will have to make quick mid-range shots.

As I have said in another place, we are possibly headed towards a defensive grind it out team playing a short rotation.  Just like previous years.  AB and Terry will be the other players in the rotation.  Plus we will need to find help for KG.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

In response to prakash's comment:

If that were true then OKC would have won more than just 1 game against the Heat.

The Thunder had Perk and Ibaka. But they were forced to go small against the Heat.

That is because the big lineup does not put the Thunder best 5 on the floor.  That 5 included Harden.

Perk, Ibaka, Durant, Harden, and Westbrook, that was OKC's best 5 last season. That was the 5 that beat the Spurs and Lakers in the playoffs.

That may not be their best lineup.  Perk is an offensive liability.  Plus he is a good team defender but not a dominant shot blocker.  He was any way not playing too many minutes for the Thunder.  If OKC has to put its best 5 on the floor, there may be competition between Sefalosha and Perk.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

Perk, Ibaka, Durant, Harden, and Westbrook, that was OKC's best 5 last season. That was the 5 that beat the Spurs and Lakers in the playoffs.

That may not be their best lineup.  Perk is an offensive liability.  Plus he is a good team defender but not a dominant shot blocker.  He was any way not playing too many minutes for the Thunder.  If OKC has to put its best 5 on the floor, there may be competition between Sefalosha and Perk.

So it brings us back to the point where playing small against the Heat is the best solution.

In last season's playoffs and Finals, the Heat knocked out the Knicks and Tyson Chandler, Hibbert and the Pacers, and Ibaka and OKC. So going big against the Heat doesn't mean you're going to beat the Heat.

But I agree that Pierce and Green at the SG and SF position is a nightmare for opposing SGs and SFs.

So why hasn't Doc thought of this or done this yet?  I am for the big line up to if it make our team better.  The biggest problem the C's face right now is the terrible defense they are playing.  No one can stop the pick and roll and pops.   

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from celticsince1958. Show celticsince1958's posts

In response to susan250's comment:

In response to Kirk6's comment:

In response to Patsdateam's comment:

I agree. Putting Pierce at the 2 and Green at the 3 can pretty much impose the C's will on the other teams.

Doc will not understand....as usual

I am glad somebody gets it.

I hope Doc figures it out.

Somehow I think he won't.

I agree with you that Green is better at the 3.  I just don't expect Doc to play him at this position all of the time. 

Sections
Shortcuts