Doc goes big......and it works

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Re: Doc goes big......and it works

In response to Fiercest34's comment:

In response to rameakap's comment:

Great. My comment was about how when you 'go big' and move Pierce to SG you are going to have to sit one of Lee or Avery much more than they deserve and will be tempted to give KG more mins than you should when you play lots of small ball lineups with Wilcox or Sully at the 5.

Of course I don't want to see Sully at the 5. I really hope Darko starts to show something, he was apparently playing so good in Europe those 1st two preseason games. I am really starting to eat my words that 12-14 solid mins of Darko will make us not need a player like Varejao.

Imagine what Varejao would add to this team right now?

Varejao is averaging 15 boards per game right now. The Celts will not be able to turn Bass into Varejao. In other words, it's a pipe dream.

That was never the deal and you know it

It was Bass, Melo and our '13 and '15 1st rd picks

or

Lee, Sully and our '13 1st rd pick

But thanks for mentioning the least valuable part of the trade, the guy who makes the $ work, over the actual young assests. (unless you value Bass above the 25th-27th pick in the draft)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Big Al would likely cost Bass, Lee, Melo and a #1 pick

He is not worth subbing in Avery for Lee and also (b/c he makes 15 million) you need both Lee and Bass in the deal to make the $ work

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

In response to Kirk6's comment:

In response to prakash's comment:

I was always intrigued by this lineup.  This lineup may work better with Terry at the point.  If the Celts can figure out the defensive style with this lineup, I will get excited.  This lineup also provides the best opportunity for Sullinger to contribute offensively.  It may be that the Celts will need to build around this lineup.  Will depend entirely upon what Jeff Green is going to become.

This lineup makes everyone better and puts our 5 best players on the floor at the same time.

I agree that its our most effective line up..but not necessarily our biggest...

Doc had talked about doing this in the pre season..so nothing new there..Kirk

But yes, I agree its our best line up for now..Green seems more confortable as a sf.

Against some teams, PP will not be able to stay with other sgs..

Lee and Jett have yet to produce consistantly, but I know the Jet will for sure..

You also have to consider the opposition..That was the weakes team we faced so far, and they almost beat us..So lets not celebrate yet

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

This creates a logjam at SG when Avery comes back, and the team is still very thin at C. I think that lineup is great but it goes away when Avery retuns, or else Lee is benched... and KG still shouldn't be playing over 30 mins.

KG only logged 29:08 minutes against the Wiz.

Great. My comment was about how when you 'go big' and move Pierce to SG you are going to have to sit one of Lee or Avery much more than they deserve and will be tempted to give KG more mins than you should when you play lots of small ball lineups with Wilcox or Sully at the 5.

Of course I don't want to see Sully at the 5. I really hope Darko starts to show something, he was apparently playing so good in Europe those 1st two preseason games. I am really starting to eat my words that 12-14 solid mins of Darko will make us not need a player like Varejao.

Imagine what Varejao would add to this team right now?

Thats the guy we need..He plays hard every night and knows his role..If we cant get smith, this is the guy..He may be undersized but makes up for it wigh hustle. Go get him Danny!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

If that were true then OKC would have won more than just 1 game against the Heat.

The Thunder had Perk and Ibaka. But they were forced to go small against the Heat.

That is because the big lineup does not put the Thunder best 5 on the floor.  That 5 included Harden.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

Pierce doesn't have to guard the SG. Green can guard the SG.

But imagine smaller guards trying to guard Green or Pierce.

That is a big advantage if Pierce and/or Green are in the post.  From outside it may be less of an advantage, unless you are thinking of the mid range game.  Even there, Green may not have the ball handling skills to maneuver outside to in.  And if we send these guys to the post, we have to pull KG/Sullinger out.  So it is imperative that they both make their outside shots.

KG is a good outside shooter.  Sullinger too is a good shooter.  This may work with a lot of post screen and movement action to create separation and get switches.  The ball rests in Rondo's hand to find the right pass.  Pierce and Green will have to make quick mid-range shots.

As I have said in another place, we are possibly headed towards a defensive grind it out team playing a short rotation.  Just like previous years.  AB and Terry will be the other players in the rotation.  Plus we will need to find help for KG.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

If that were true then OKC would have won more than just 1 game against the Heat.

The Thunder had Perk and Ibaka. But they were forced to go small against the Heat.

That is because the big lineup does not put the Thunder best 5 on the floor.  That 5 included Harden.

Perk, Ibaka, Durant, Harden, and Westbrook, that was OKC's best 5 last season. That was the 5 that beat the Spurs and Lakers in the playoffs.

That may not be their best lineup.  Perk is an offensive liability.  Plus he is a good team defender but not a dominant shot blocker.  He was any way not playing too many minutes for the Thunder.  If OKC has to put its best 5 on the floor, there may be competition between Sefalosha and Perk.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

Perk, Ibaka, Durant, Harden, and Westbrook, that was OKC's best 5 last season. That was the 5 that beat the Spurs and Lakers in the playoffs.

That may not be their best lineup.  Perk is an offensive liability.  Plus he is a good team defender but not a dominant shot blocker.  He was any way not playing too many minutes for the Thunder.  If OKC has to put its best 5 on the floor, there may be competition between Sefalosha and Perk.

So it brings us back to the point where playing small against the Heat is the best solution.

In last season's playoffs and Finals, the Heat knocked out the Knicks and Tyson Chandler, Hibbert and the Pacers, and Ibaka and OKC. So going big against the Heat doesn't mean you're going to beat the Heat.

But I agree that Pierce and Green at the SG and SF position is a nightmare for opposing SGs and SFs.

So why hasn't Doc thought of this or done this yet?  I am for the big line up to if it make our team better.  The biggest problem the C's face right now is the terrible defense they are playing.  No one can stop the pick and roll and pops.   

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

I would love it if Doc started the next game with KG, Sullinger, Pierce, Green, and Rondo.

I think that is a team that could compete with the Heat.

I agree

It is a shame that Darko hasn't gotten it going... in that lineup all we need him to be is a 14-18 min backup C who protects the rim and gets 5 boards and a block.

since Green will swing over and play 'some' PF (hopefully only against fellow long SF type guys like Melo, Deng, Battier) and b/c Pierce will play the backup SF role in that situation, we reall only need 1 out of Bass/Wilcox (since neither of them or Sully is a 5) and we have WAY too many SG's and not a pure backup PG.

this lineup makes me feel that one of the vet min guys (Barbosa or Wilcox) could or should be combined with one of the more expensive guys (Bass and Lee) to get us what it is we will end up missing... pure PG, rim-protecting rebounding big... or both.

Obviously Melo and future picks would prob have to be included to sweteen such a deal... and it is of course still too early to talk trades. but I LOVE that lineup Kirk

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from celticsince1958. Show celticsince1958's posts

In response to susan250's comment:

In response to Patsdateam's comment:

I agree. Putting Pierce at the 2 and Green at the 3 can pretty much impose the C's will on the other teams.

Doc will not understand....as usual

I am glad somebody gets it.

I hope Doc figures it out.

Somehow I think he won't.

I agree with you that Green is better at the 3.  I just don't expect Doc to play him at this position all of the time. 

Sections
Shortcuts