Doc has to play Rondo at the end of close games!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from breaktime. Show breaktime's posts

Re: Doc has to play Rondo at the end of close games!

Prediction:
    If Rondo doesn't return to form by the end of the regular season, Doc will actively use other end of game options at PG

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In Response to Re: Doc has to play Rondo at the end of close games!:
    Prediction : If Rondo doesn't return to form by the end of the regular season, Doc will actively use other end of game options at PG
    Posted by breaktime

Rondo was a lousy end of game option even when he was in classic form.

He is no worse now in his current state of being  frazzled/injured/under the weather/disturbed/discombobulated/troubled/upset/atwitter/lost.

That part of his game remains unchanged. Other parts of his game have certainly suffered though.

Pud

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrleftfoot. Show jrleftfoot's posts

Rondo needs to be in at the end of close games, but not neccasarily to shoot the ball. its bc of his heart at the end of games. ppl forget the o rebounds and tip ins against the cavs, the steal and two big layups against the lakers, the shot that made it a 3 pt game against the magic, the jumpshot that closed game 2 against the lakers, etc. when you ask what "big shots" he has made, if you look more at the whole body instead of just jumpshots, you will see that he was more than important at the end of games last playoffs.
    Posted by JamezHill24

Don`t you find it precious the way dudder and pudding finish each others sentences like an old married couple?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill24. Show JamezHill24's posts

the thing is, ppl keep calling rondo a liability at the end of games, but there is no proof of this. he has never missed a big free throw to lose a game. he has made jumpshots that clinch games, and he missed one 3 pointer at the end of the mavs game. 

the big assists and jumpers that he hits have been ignored by dudder and puddin because wen they think rondo they think terrible jumpshooter and ft shooter, no way can he be good at the end of the game. instead of looking at evidence that he IS in fact good at the end of games. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from victorlee1234. Show victorlee1234's posts

He hit a big baseline jumper as a rookie against the Pistons. He hit a big jumper against Orlando last year in game 2 to put them up 3.
    Posted by notrade

Given enough playing time, who hasn't hit a big shot late in a game?  Statistics dictate if you shoot enough time, you're bound to get one to go.  Heck, even a broken clock is right twice a day.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

In Response to Re: Doc has to play Rondo at the end of close games! : Given enough playing time, who hasn't hit a big shot late in a game?  Statistics dictate if you shoot enough time, you're bound to get one to go.  Heck, even a broken clock is right twice a day.
    Posted by victorlee1234

You're like a broken clock yourself. I mean only 1234? 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from usa4life. Show usa4life's posts

I like DWest and believe he has a huge heart. The guy actually plays to hard and causes him to get injuried.
    DWest will be a fine choice if healthy at the end of the game.

As for Rondo, I think he shoots much better from the FT line at the end of games than at other times. He also takes the ball out, so it really isn't a big deal.

Rhondo just needs to get his head on straight and stop coasting. I think he will get it together in time.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tjwoods. Show tjwoods's posts

This team can be much better than last year. Remember, they're still learning how to play together.

Last year, not only were the Celtics playing 4 on 5 with Kobe able to drop off Rondo and clog the middle, we also had hands-of-stone Perkins on the floor except for game 7.

That really made it more like 3.5 on 5, since you couldn't trust Perk not to muff a pass and Rondo to miss open 15 footers (and shoot 26% from the FT line).

I love having Delonte as the back up pg and trust that Doc will play him at the end of games if Rondo has shown he's not on his game.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from teh-n00b. Show teh-n00b's posts

In Response to Re: Doc has to play Rondo at the end of close games! : Given enough playing time, who hasn't hit a big shot late in a game?  Statistics dictate if you shoot enough time, you're bound to get one to go.  Heck, even a broken clock is right twice a day.
    Posted by victorlee1234

this is the kobe theory. he shoots a lot at the end of every close game, and people only remember the shots that go in

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

In Response to Re: Doc has to play Rondo at the end of close games! : this is the kobe theory. he shoots a lot at the end of every close game, and people only remember the shots that go in
    Posted by teh-n00b

I love it at the end of quarters and the end of halfs when Rondo brings the ball up, gets into the front court, pounds the ball into the floor until it is time to take the final shot and when it is apparent that he will, the other team heads to the locker room (not just the bench - the guys on the floor as well) so they can get retaped and get some gatorade and then Rondo chucks up an uncontested 15 footer that barely catches iron......

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

In Response to Re: Doc has to play Rondo at the end of close games! : Even the most ardent Rondo supporter has to acknowledge that it's hilarious watching the other four players trying to do anything and everything BUT pass Rondo the ball.  Sure does beg the question of why he is out there.  Is he that superior of an inbounds passer?
    Posted by jallen3531

joke, right? 

what's going to be hilarious is watching you and the increasingly numerous / vocal other anti-rondo yodelers here start to back pedal once he regains his form.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil11. Show snakeoil11's posts

In Response to Re: Doc has to play Rondo at the end of close games! : I am sure that management is watching DWest with great interest to see if he can lead this team, now and in the foreseeable future. If he can, that might make available an entirely different bargaining chip to aid in the rebuilding process. I really enjoy watching him play... and the way the team responds to his energy, discipline and savy. Of course I liked him last time around too. Pud
    Posted by puddinpuddin

I love West but as you know the NBA coaches just picked Rondo to play in the all star game while West has always just been thought of as a serviceable player.  Management is not watching West to see if he can lead the team.  Seriously.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TeamUmbutu. Show TeamUmbutu's posts

At this point in the season Rondo is what he is. He may have ups and downs.

As last year, Rondo's mind set will likely change in the play-offs. Last year, it was all about making steels during the regular season and then it was all about team in the play-offs. I don't know if it was the Perk trade, the long season, or some other reason, but my guess is that he will be locked and loaded during the play-offs.

As far as the end of quarters and games, Rondo will not drive to the hoop because he is afraid of "hack a Rondo", and he won't shoot because he has no confidence in his shot at the end of games. In these cases, other teams will play five on four, making offense much more difficult for the Celtics.

The good news is that with KG, Green, Pierce, Allen and Rondo, the lanes are likely to be more open for driving. The question is of course, will he drive?

If not, it makes sense to have West on the floor at the end of quarters, and at the end of the game. West can shoot, and it opens the floor for the other four players, because it will be 5 on 5. Kobe, and others, will not be able to play free safety.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from b126962. Show b126962's posts

In Response to Re: Doc has to play Rondo at the end of close games! : I don't even recall Rondo ever taking a big playoff shot much less making one. You might want to refresh my memory. Pud
    Posted by puddinpuddin

He hit a 20 footer to ice one of the finals games last year.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

In Response to Re: Doc has to play Rondo at the end of close games! : You are taking my position all wrong.  I'm not quoting an opinion; they refuse to pass him the ball.  Do you recall the end of the San Antonio game here?  They almost lost because of the turnovers created because they (Pierce and Allen) would not pass the ball to a wide open Rondo.  I've gone on record of not being anti-Rondo.  If the facts bother you then sobeit, but don't put words in my mouth or misrepresent my position. And his "form" in last year's playoff was that of a less than 60% free throw shooter, 55% this year and 62% for his career.  See a trend or do those facts mean I'm "Anti-Rondo"? Do you really want 1 of 2 made in crunch time fairly consistently?  Some of you people would make dictators proud.  Anything you don't want to hear is an attack instead of just what it is, which is an opinion or in the case of the percentages above...fact.
    Posted by jallen3531

my bad, jallen. you were referring specifically to the end of close games - per this thread - and i assumed you were referring to rondo's contributions in general. oops. as an ardent rondo supporter i prefer him on the floor in any game situation, but if he cannot contribute at the end of tight games, it's a no-brainer we should get someone in there who can, hopefully delonte. time will tell.

i'm not blind to rondo's very real shortcomings, i just think his winning contributions are far more significant. the day i don't think we can win another ring with this guy is the day i get off his bandwagon. most nba observers feel that rondo is among the elite PGs. he does have his detractors, but not to the grotesquely bloated extent we see here at bdc. and that does bug me.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

In Response to Re: Doc has to play Rondo at the end of close games! : my bad, jallen. you were referring specifically to the end of close games - per this thread - and i assumed you were referring to rondo's contributions in general. oops. as an ardent rondo supporter i prefer him on the floor in any game situation, but if he cannot contribute at the end of tight games, it's a no-brainer we should get someone in there who can, hopefully delonte. time will tell. i'm not blind to rondo's very real shortcomings, i just think his winning contributions are far more significant. the day i don't think we can win another ring with this guy is the day i get off his bandwagon. most nba observers feel that rondo is among the elite PGs. he does have his detractors, but not to the grotesquely bloated extent we see here at bdc. and that does bug me.

Posted by BaileyPowe

-
    BaileyPowe

"most nba observers feel that rondo is among the elite PGs. he does have his detractors, but not to the grotesquely bloated extent we see here at bdc. and that does bug me."

Well said by BP, and I want to go on record as being bugged too and for the very same reason.

What Tommy said makes sense, I saw the game broadcast and this entire thread was premised on what Tommy said during the broadcast:  to paraphrase Tommy, he said that Doc will likely get criticised and second-guessed because he let Rondo close out the game after Delonte had played so well and actually kept us in the game and was the Player of the Game, but as Tommy went on to explain his reasoning, that it might adversely affect Rondo's confidence and the team dynamic if Doc begins second-guessing his players at this point in the season (at this time), it made a lot more sense when he said, "I'm with Doc on this one".

It's important to note the context of Tommy's point (no pun intended) and how it was presented:  "At this time", stated or implied, is perhaps what many are missing in this discussion.  When a player is struggling, you try to avoid doing anything more to destroy his confidence, (players do that to themselves when they struggle), and with the vast NBA experience of Tommy & Doc (who both have more rings than I) I guess I will defer to their better judgement on this one. 

This doesn't mean that Delonte won't close out games at PG down the road, just that at this time it was more important to show trust and confidence in Rondo.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Good point about hurting his confidence..

Im thinking his play should be plenty to disrupt his confidence.. The media is talking about it, hes getting burned pretty bad on the court.... if his confidence is fragile then its already been shaken. Its not like DOc pulling him will come from left field... Rondo knows hes playing very bad, so do his teammates, fans, the media, his coach and just about anyone else following the team. 

But there is a balance between helping Rondo through this period and hurting the team in the process.  No sense trying to understand Docs rationale... Im sure hes doing what he thinks works best.

Just that I equate this to a kid thats not listening to his dad about watching TV right after school for example... You can keep hoping he listens but he doesnt..  Then you see him again watching and tell him "thought I said its homework time now, not tv"...  but little Johnny refuses and thinks he should keep watching Spongebob instead of doing his homework.

Comes a time the coddling stops or you create a monster. How do you discipline him now since to let it go on so long??  

Again, have to defer to Doc here & hope he knows what hes doing..  but reserve the right to disagree

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In Response to Re: Doc has to play Rondo at the end of close games! : He hit a 20 footer to ice one of the finals games last year.
    Posted by b126962

Why don't you and NoTrade pin it down a bit. I'm not going on a wild goose chase trying to find all the "big shots" Rondo has supposedly taken or made in the playoffs.

My guess is that the number is between few and none... not "many" as the thread starter claims... in 64 games.

Pud 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TeamUmbutu. Show TeamUmbutu's posts

With the Lakers and Bulls breathing down our necks for home court advantage, Rondo will see less time if the slump continues. 

The confidence and drive have gone for now. They will only come back with positive play. Doc will probably have to call more plays for Rondo and use his point guard brain to get Rondo back on track.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In Response to Re: Doc has to play Rondo at the end of close games! : Even the most ardent Rondo supporter has to acknowledge that it's hilarious watching the other four players trying to do anything and everything BUT pass Rondo the ball.  Sure does beg the question of why he is out there.  Is he that superior of an inbounds passer?
    Posted by jallen3531

I don't think rondo should be out there w/ under a minute and the other team planning to foul each time

but w/ 1:30-4 mins to go I'm fine with him.

Sections
Shortcuts