Doc is the Key

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from upforglory. Show upforglory's posts

Doc is the Key

Ainge has handed Doc a box of tools and Doc has to figure out how to use them. As he figures that out, so will the players. He may think he has three goals in the next nine games: secure the highest seed possible to gain home court advantage, save his weary veterans, and integrate the new guys into the system.
       I learned my lesson last year that home court is over-rated. We actually did have it against the Lakers halfway through that series and lost anyway. So I hope Doc forgets about this. Why push for it, why beat up your tools for something you really don't need?
       We do need healthy, well-rested starters. Shaq has had a nice rest this year, and I heartily approve. Same for J.O. Now it's KG;s turn and Ray's and Paul's, Every year we say the big three are old and it's never been more true. Play them no more than 20-25 for the rest of preliminary season, and give them a game or two off because you can't relax at work.
       This makes Doc's third goal easier to achieve. The new guys are never going to ``get it'' unless they're on the court. Let Delonte and Arroyo handle at least half the point-guarding and let Rondo heal up. Give Green big minutes and play him with the starters as much as possible. If not for ``chemistry'' he would be starting anyway. Krystic lacks confidence and should also play as much as his fouls will allow. Pavlovic seems to put out; give him minutes. Don't increase Baby's minutes because even though he's young, he's been slammed like a football dummy all season, and we will need him. Let Shaq and JO ease into game shape with steadily increasing minutes.
       Hoist banner 18!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tayshawn. Show Tayshawn's posts

Re: Doc is the Key

If Doc is the key, expect to be locked out of the championship race. Tongue out

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Good post, Upforglory.  Very thoughtful and insightful.   I particularly agree with your characterization of the 3 goals Doc has.

I might have a slight disagreement on the importance of home court advantage.  In the NBA, unlike college on their neutral sites, I'm always amazed at how refs seem to be influenced by the crowd and how players are so energized by the crowd.  The Celts lost last year for a number of reasons (Perk injured, KG not back at 100% and gassed, Sheed's back...although he gave us a lot).  BUT, the number of fouls and over the back rebounds just cannot be 100% explained by our failure.  There was an impact from the home crowd, the excitement/energy the Lakers got from that crowd, and the refs natural "flow" WITH the crowd.  I wonder if that game was in Boston with fans all over them if the refs may not have called as many fouls on us?   

I'm not making an excuse for why we lost.  We lost because we weren't the better team that day in Game 7.  However, when the teams are THAT close as the Lakers and Celts were.....home court advantage may have given then that little edge with energy or refs or something that made the difference in us going home and the Lakers winning a championship.

I think Doc knows this and wanted to eliminate that disadvantage this year.  But, its gone now.  We can't win HCA so I'd focus on what it takes for the starters to get energized and for just about 4, maybe 5 of the bench players to "get it"  Green matters.  Baby understands, already.  West matters.  JON matters as does Krstic.  But, Murphy, Sasha, Arroyo, Bradley and perhaps evenWafer will all just be playing spot minutes or not even on the playoff roster.  So, I wouldn't spend much time trying to work them into the system.

Net, net, give the Big 3 some rest; get Shaq and JON some work out time for their timing; get Green and Krstic to understand the defense, and that's all.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

good insight   Upforglory and cfanforlife....spot on assesment...

Sections
Shortcuts