Doc on Rondo.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

Doc on Rondo.

On why the Celtics have played so well (13-4) without Rajon Rondo: "Well I thought we were playing better right before he went out. I actually made that statement. What's funny is we were in the middle of a losing streak and I went out to the media and said, 'I know this sounds crazy, but I think we're about to turn the corner.' Avery was just coming back and we forget Avery missed the first 30 games of our season; Jeff Green missed all of last year, so he was starting to come into shape; Jason Terry's a new player on our team. We just had a lot of moving parts and we were just starting to get it together. 

"I would say Rondo is the best all-around point guard we have in the league.  -Magic Johnson

"That kid, is unbelievable." -Larry Bird On Rajon Rondo.

"€œHe is the whole package"€ - Bob Cousey on Rondo

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

Re: Doc on Rondo.

[/QUOTE] Its Cousy.... not Cousey.

Pud

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Number6Fan. Show Number6Fan's posts

In response to Kirk6's comment:

Doc is trying to build up Rondo's trade value.

Or maybe he's just being honest.  :-)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from celtic213. Show celtic213's posts

Rondo will never be traded.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

In response to Kirk6's comment:

Doc is trying to build up Rondo's trade value.

Good call on the trade dead line. I love the part where Ainge didn't trade Rondo. It's a move I expect them to make again in the off season. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

In response to puddinpuddin's comment:

Its Cousy.... not Cousey.

Pud

[/QUOTE]

Wow, and I thougt you didn't know anything about anything. It turns out your a good speller who doesn't know basketball. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

Rondo's talent is undeniable.  The question really is, "Will Rondo be willing to sacrifice/adjust a part of his game for the better of the team?"

A lot of people here believe that he will not. I and many others believe that he will.

There is no formula for discovering leadership skiils.  At the beginning of the season Rondo was appointed the team leader.  Also, there were so many changes that it took time for people to discover themselves and to discover chemistry.  IMHO, Rondo has not yet understood that leadership also requires one to be like glue.  Be ready to fill the cracks and the holes in the system.  That is what KG and Paul Pierce do so well.  And not far back, there was a time when Paul Pierce was labled a head case.

Finally, if the Celts can get equivalent high value in return, I will support trading Rondo.  But I don't see that happening until they reach a conclusion on Fab Melo.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

this post (a good one in my opinion) is almost a transcript of Doc's conversation with Jim Rome early this afternoon...I listened to it on my way home from the gym...Doc loves Rondo...but even more, he thinks KG is the greatest competitor and teammate he has ever seen...Doc just went on and on about him....KG is Doc's all time guy...

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from videoburns. Show videoburns's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:

Can't keep both Rondo and AB. One has to go.

Celts will be a very small team if both are on the court together at the same time.

Wrong again.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In response to Duke4's comment:

this post (a good one in my opinion) is almost a transcript of Doc's conversation with Jim Rome early this afternoon...I listened to it on my way home from the gym...Doc loves Rondo...but even more, he thinks KG is the greatest competitor and teammate he has ever seen...Doc just went on and on about him....KG is Doc's all time guy...

Poor Doc... he so loves Rondo... and Rondo only loves himself.

A terrible predicament for a professional coach to get into.... or out of.

It constitutes professional coaching  malpractice.

Pud

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In response to puddinpuddin's comment:

In response to Duke4's comment:

Poor Doc... he so loves Rondo... and Rondo only loves himself.

A terrible predicament for a professional coach to get into.... or out of.

It constitutes professional coaching  malpractice.

Pud

Poor pud. He considers himself an expert on the personalities of people that he sees on TV.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In response to videoburns' comment:

Celts will be a very small team if both are on the court together at the same time.

Wrong again.

The longest you can keep Rondo and AB together is 2015.

You really want to give Rondo max money and AB 8m per year?

Is a Rondo and AB backcourt really worth 25m per year? 

They wont give Rondo max money.  I don't see that happening at all.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from edcap99. Show edcap99's posts

In response to snakeoil123's comment:

I know the Celts won't, but there are teams out there desperate enough to give Rondo max money.

The Lakers are probably one of those teams.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from KG-LB-KM. Show KG-LB-KM's posts

Rondo has proved that he is very capable. He played very good to great in last year's play-offs.

Doc Rivers said during an interview this year, that all great players, or Stars, want to win the NBA championship, but most are not willing to do what it takes, they want to win on their own terms. 

Also, before Rondo was injured Doc complained in public that his players were not playing the right way, and if it did not change, he would make changes.

In the Rockets game,  Rondo's guard assignment lit up the Celtics in the first half, At half time, Doc was trying to coach and he was getting an arguement from some unknown player. Pierce stepped in and said that Doc was trying to coach and that he should listen. In the second half the teams defense showed up and Rondo's guard assignment had little success. After the game Terry credited Pierces talk with the win. Of course the player that was arguing with Doc was not named, but is it possible that this describes anyone but Rondo?

During this regular season, it is obvious to those that pay attention to defense, that Rondo's focus was steals and rebounds, and not staying in front of his man as Doc has been teaching. The result, was that Rondo got media attention for his stats, steals and rebounds, and team defense suffered. 

On offense Rondo wanted to be the league leader in assists, because great point guards have great stats. As a result, he dominated the ball, often waiting until there were a few seconds left in the 24 second clock, waiting for the right pass so that he can get his assist. 

Rondo plays to win in the play-offs because that is what great players are expected to do. During the regular season he plays to win but on his own terms.  Assists, rebounds, steals, and triple doubles are needed to be an all-star and a media star. He wants to win. but only if he is considered a great point guard as well.

The Celtics have started winning because everyone is now playing defense, and offense. More people get touches and the Celts get into their sets earlier because there is more passing and less dribbling. Green and Wilcox are picking up the slack left by Suliger's absence. Rondo, on the other hand, provides regular season improvement by subtraction.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

In response to edcap99's comment:

In response to snakeoil123's comment:

I know the Celts won't, but there are teams out there desperate enough to give Rondo max money.

The Lakers are probably one of those teams.

That's why the Celts should trade Rondo before he becomes an UFA.

But if the Celts feel Rondo is more important than AB then they can trade AB instead.

The problem with trading Rondo is for who?  KG is going to be a 5 until he retires.  If he retires after this year, I can see a Rondo for a 5 trade.  But if he doesn't then the Celts have to reach some conclusion on Fab Melo before they make such a trade.  For a 4?  That means that Sullinger is gone.  So this must be some monster 4.  At 3, they have Jeff Green under development.  So trade Rondo for what and when?

Rondo for a high lottery pick makes some sense.  Keeps the salary down, builds for the future but comes with a risk.  Not all high draft picks become All Stars.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

Bingo!

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from passfirst. Show passfirst's posts

the two of them on the court together will be special, for years to come.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts