Doc - Please hire Kareem Abdul Jabbar!!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

Doc - Please hire Kareem Abdul Jabbar!!!

Come on! He has a wealth of knowledge!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

Re: Doc - Please hire Kareem Abdul Jabbar!!!

Interesting idea, but I can't see it.  He just rubs people the wrong way.  And if even the lakers didn't want to keep him..............well, I think that speaks volumes.  No head coaching job, no assistant, no TV analyst..........he must have burned a few bridges on the way to the HOF!!

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

COULD HE BE OUR BACKUP CENTER? I WOULD STILL TAKE A FOSSILIZED JABBAR OVER PERK!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

" I WOULD STILL TAKE A FOSSILIZED JABBAR OVER PERK"

C'mon that's a ridiculous thing to say. Plus Perk is not actually on our team anymore, we have inferior caliber beef in the middle now. However you feel about Perk, Ainge trading him sunk our championship hopes. Your faith in a fossilized Shaq and your reassurances that Shaq would bring us a ring fell utterly flat as well. Oh, and I just remembered, I'm pretty sure it was you who also reassured us Shaq would be back as well also. Another good one!

Jabbar is not the easiest personality but he does a good job coaching centers. Since we don't have a center right now, we don't know Jabbar.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Laker-Nation32. Show Laker-Nation32's posts

In Response to Re: Doc - Please hire Kareem Abdul Jabbar!!!:
    [QUOTE]Kareem is still waiting for his statue. Ha Ha
    Posted by Fiercest34[/QUOTE]

How's bill's statue going?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Kareem is a cancer. Thats why nobody hires him to coach.

Was same way when he played. Racist too!

Doesnt deserve a shot  at coaching in NBA. Nobody wants him anyway, I agree

If he wants to coach so bad, let him start in HS and work his way up. Too lazy, feels entitled, just like the statue BS. LOL

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

[QUOTE]Kareem is a cancer. Thats why nobody hires him to coach. Was same way when he played. Racist too! Doesnt deserve a shot  at coaching in NBA. Nobody wants him anyway, I agree If he wants to coach so bad, let him start in HS and work his way up. Too lazy, feels entitled, just like the statue BS. LOL
    Posted by Karllost[/QUOTE]

I didn't want to bring up the racist "thing" because I'm trying to not provoke the trolls for a while.  BUT, in his book, Giant Steps, Kareem basically said he wouldn't care if all the white people in the world disappeared.  He never mentioned Wooden, but I often wondered if that included Coach as well.  He said when Houston beat UCLA it was because he was hurt.  (he WAS hurt, but it's still lame)  He has never given Elvin Hayes the credit for being better than him ONE day.  Kareem got revenge later in the year, but that one day, The Big E was the best player in the NCAA.  He also said  when Boston beat MIL in the playoffs it was because the refs "let Dave Cowens, who is white, crawl all over my back wihout calling any fouls."  He further said that when Portland beat LAL in the playoffs it was because the NBA "had a new darling, Bill Walton, who is white."
    Yep, just not a nice person - GREAT player, but not a nice person!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

[QUOTE]No wonder the Lakers won so many championships in the 80s, cancer in the paint and HIV on the perimeter. There's no way you could cheat death in that situation. Ha Ha
    Posted by Fiercest34[/QUOTE]

low blow...but funny...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

karreem will have all the bigs smoking thai stick from a bong out back.

kareem was a good player but is an aAa-hole of a person.

why do you think nobody has hired him for more than 2 months?

some of the greats simply do not translate into good coaches, and some of them were worse yet, never good people.  i think both is true for kareem because he is such a corn hole that the jerk in him limits his ability to do the former

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtics1986. Show Celtics1986's posts

In Giant steps he stated he used to get excited when a plane crashed because it was very likely most of the people who died were White.

But I do think he changed over the years and just wants a chance to be on an NBA bench. The problem we have is we dont even have a young talent for him to work with at this point! I would think Kareem would be better with a team with a young big man.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

[QUOTE]In Giant steps he stated he used to get excited when a plane crashed because it was very likely most of the people who died were White. But I do think he changed over the years and just wants a chance to be on an NBA bench. The problem we have is we dont even have a young talent for him to work with at this point! I would think Kareem would be better with a team with a young big man.
    Posted by Celtics1986[/QUOTE]

or an old one either.  no talent at the 5!  i mean even if we get kwame, ya think 'reem could transform him into anything better than a 50% FT shooting journeyman slug?  i'm sure if kareem celebrates honkies going down in planes he'd also love to see robert swuft walking through that door for tutelage.

nope.  maybe later.  i thought kareem worked w/ dwight howard last summer, or was that olajuwon?  either way, whoever worked w/ howard, he did for once come back with more of an offensive game

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

Never read the book, but I seriously doubt Kareem is racist. He may have been at one time if that's what he was trying to get across in his book.
    I'm positive he was not promoting that thinking now.

Love this!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsSoX6qB9N0

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

[QUOTE]Never read the book, but I seriously doubt Kareem is racist. He may have been at one time if that's what he was trying to get across in his book. I'm positive he was not promoting that thinking now. Love this! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsSoX6qB9N0
    Posted by DaCeltics[/QUOTE]

Disagree.  You need to read the book!  Those opinions will not change.  The only reason he may NOT be promoting his true views at this time is that he wants a statue, and the people who will give him the statue...........are white!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dirty52. Show dirty52's posts

I think its partly of the time they lived in. Bill Russell had some similar views

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Russel

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Look at all the excuse makers for the racist. Is it just too hard to say Kareem is a racist p o s? Why all the apologists? He changed his ways, youre positive? LOL

Tell you what, if Kareem was a white guy and he said that stuff about blacks, he'd be labeled for life and the same people here making excuses for him would likely be his biggest critics.

He got excited during plane crashed cause most of the dead would prob be whites? and some of you are rationaling this away?? Soon we'll read some posts about how this makes Kareem the victim!

Whats up with this world when people so afraid to speak the truth or bending over to be PC? Very sad and disheartening imo

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Kareem was, in fact, a racist in that he hated white people.  Over time and from his recent behaviour, he's learned not to blame all white people for every problem.  But, no excuses.....just fact that he felt abused and taken advantage of by white people growing up.  You have to remember the times.  From Bill Russell's era through Kareem's era, black athletes were wanted on the court/field (although even THAT took a long time) but they were still not given equal treatment off the field.  Heck, in good ole Beantown, as recently as Dee Brown - white citizens loved the athlete but didn't want him to buy a house in their neighborhood nor date their daughters!!!  Kareem got that in NY, in UCLA, etc.  They loved his play but gave him MASSIVE grief for converting to being a Muslin.  Many wouldn't even recognize his new name in the press and when calling out games.  Ali, Jim Brown, Bill Russell, etc highlighted this along with leaders like Martin Luther King.   It all got better over time (although we all know a massive amount still exists) but it wasn't until the Bird/Magic years and into the Jordan years that the black athlete was received as a normal citizen.....at the tail end of Kareem's career.

So, yes, he was a racist.  Was it justified?  I don't know.  If all of us were treated the way he was growing up and as people took advantage of you, you might be bitter, too.  A bigger man doesn't react as he did.  I didn't react to all white people that way after experiencing a lot of racism and neither did Bill Russell and most Blacks.  But, I do understand WHY Kareem was a racist for a long time. 

Not justification....just explanation.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

[QUOTE]Kareem was, in fact, a racist in that he hated white people.  Over time and from his recent behaviour, he's learned not to blame all white people for every problem.  But, no excuses.....just fact that he felt abused and taken advantage of by white people growing up.  You have to remember the times.  From Bill Russell's era through Kareem's era, black athletes were wanted on the court/field (although even THAT took a long time) but they were still not given equal treatment off the field.  Heck, in good ole Beantown, as recently as Dee Brown - white citizens loved the athlete but didn't want him to buy a house in their neighborhood nor date their daughters!!!  Kareem got that in NY, in UCLA, etc.  They loved his play but gave him MASSIVE grief for converting to being a Muslin.  Many wouldn't even recognize his new name in the press and when calling out games.  Ali, Jim Brown, Bill Russell, etc highlighted this along with leaders like Martin Luther King.   It all got better over time (although we all know a massive amount still exists) but it wasn't until the Bird/Magic years and into the Jordan years that the black athlete was received as a normal citizen.....at the tail end of Kareem's career. So, yes, he was a racist.  Was it justified?  I don't know.  If all of us were treated the way he was growing up and as people took advantage of you, you might be bitter, too.  A bigger man doesn't react as he did.  I didn't react to all white people that way after experiencing a lot of racism and neither did Bill Russell and most Blacks.  But, I do understand WHY Kareem was a racist for a long time.  Not justification....just explanation.
    Posted by Celtsfan4life[/QUOTE]

So, you mean back in the day, Boston was not the only "flea bag of racism" town in this country?  WOW - lakersjerkavenger will be shocked to read that.  (I'm joshing with you....I really enjoyed the post and my comments are not really for you!!)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

[QUOTE]Kareem was, in fact, a racist in that he hated white people.  Over time and from his recent behaviour, he's learned not to blame all white people for every problem.  But, no excuses.....just fact that he felt abused and taken advantage of by white people growing up.  You have to remember the times.  From Bill Russell's era through Kareem's era, black athletes were wanted on the court/field (although even THAT took a long time) but they were still not given equal treatment off the field.  Heck, in good ole Beantown, as recently as Dee Brown - white citizens loved the athlete but didn't want him to buy a house in their neighborhood nor date their daughters!!!  Kareem got that in NY, in UCLA, etc.  They loved his play but gave him MASSIVE grief for converting to being a Muslin.  Many wouldn't even recognize his new name in the press and when calling out games.  Ali, Jim Brown, Bill Russell, etc highlighted this along with leaders like Martin Luther King.   It all got better over time (although we all know a massive amount still exists) but it wasn't until the Bird/Magic years and into the Jordan years that the black athlete was received as a normal citizen.....at the tail end of Kareem's career. So, yes, he was a racist.  Was it justified?  I don't know.  If all of us were treated the way he was growing up and as people took advantage of you, you might be bitter, too.  A bigger man doesn't react as he did.  I didn't react to all white people that way after experiencing a lot of racism and neither did Bill Russell and most Blacks.  But, I do understand WHY Kareem was a racist for a long time.  Not justification....just explanation.

Since Kareems HS days at Power Mem, he was treated like a king. I saw it first hand.

That said, I understand blacks have been prejudiced against, as have most at some time. I grew up in a tough spot where most the kids in school were militant blacks. Hated whites and I was one of a handful that attended. That was in East Orange, NJ.  It was not fun & I had plenty of anti white beatings myself along the way and needed several friends with me to get home safe many times. I had plenty of reason to hate all blacks for a several year period.

It was a tough school even without racism... even their cheerleaders chanted at basketball games "E-O, E-O, we dont win, you dont go" and that wasnt too far from the truth. So many fights and a few deaths.

Still, I never lumped all blacks together and hated them. I sure would cross the street if I saw 3 blacks on one corner and 2 whites on the other...just common sense and survival. It was the times and the race ritos. Not a good time to be white attending a mostly all  black city school in the middle of all this

In the end, only an ignorant person extrapolates bad treatment to everyone in a race or wishes them dead. Ignorant and a  p o s. Kareem wasnt a little kid when these remarks were made and I find it unlikely his opinions have changed all that much. Perhaps mellower in older age and to be PC, for his own reasons.

Certainly, I give zero credibility to a poster who claims to be positive Kareems mind has shifted 180 degrees.

You offer an explanation and I agree with you on that 100%. I also understand when a man kills his wife cause he cant take the aggravation any longer and he snaps. Dont agree with it but I understand. But its not enough to be given a pass imo.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

This is a great thread, guys.  Very thought-provoking and opinionated.  In my town, you could get beat up for not being Italian - or for being a jock - or for being a "nerd."  Unfortunately, I fell into all 3 categories!!
    Whoever started this thread, great job!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Karllost - I want to be clear.....I'm not condoning Kareem's reaction or behavior, eventhough I thoroughly understand it.  We all react in different ways.  You reacted differently as did I and many others.  No - he does not deserve a pass.  But, does he deserve any credit for changing or for growing over time?  I don't know.

Remember, also, that the religion he was joining was one that hated the oppression that Whites had put upon Black starting with slavery.   It was that religion that helped to turn many of his views and as a young, highly visible man - he didn't handle that well, falling to many stereotypical views.  In his early days, he was in a white community and did not hate white people.  That happened after he experienced basketball fame and then joined the Muslin faith.  And we all know - the Muslin faight has everything from moderates to radicals.  The radicals clearly got to him!

But, the man is also an intellect.  He's written multiple books and is a major history buff.  

Here's my most relevant thought:   Wouldn't it be great, however, if the sports writers or better yet - TV analysts actually addressed this straight on?   An in depth, Barbara Walters type interview where they asked him the pointed questions and assessed his current feelings and why he felt that way in the past (if it was in the past)?   Wouldn't it be good for all fans to get to know him now?  

I bet he's changed his view and mellowed over time, but I could clearly be wrong.  But, I'd like to see an interview to see what he says and see how sincere he comes across.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtics1986. Show Celtics1986's posts

Lets face it there are racist people everywhere. It is either learned, formed over years of hate, or both.

But the issue here is simple: Could Kareem help the Celtics as a basketball coach?
    I would think in some capacity the answer would be yes.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

[QUOTE]Karllost - I want to be clear.....I'm not condoning Kareem's reaction or behavior, eventhough I thoroughly understand it.  We all react in different ways.  You reacted differently as did I and many others.  No - he does not deserve a pass.  But, does he deserve any credit for changing or for growing over time?  I don't know. Remember, also, that the religion he was joining was one that hated the oppression that Whites had put upon Black starting with slavery.   It was that religion that helped to turn many of his views and as a young, highly visible man - he didn't handle that well, falling to many stereotypical views.  In his early days, he was in a white community and did not hate white people.  That happened after he experienced basketball fame and then joined the Muslin faith.  And we all know - the Muslin faight has everything from moderates to radicals.  The radicals clearly got to him! But, the man is also an intellect.  He's written multiple books and is a major history buff.   Here's my most relevant thought:   Wouldn't it be great, however, if the sports writers or better yet - TV analysts actually addressed this straight on?   An in depth, Barbara Walters type interview where they asked him the pointed questions and assessed his current feelings and why he felt that way in the past (if it was in the past)?   Wouldn't it be good for all fans to get to know him now?   I bet he's changed his view and mellowed over time, but I could clearly be wrong.  But, I'd like to see an interview to see what he says and see how sincere he comes across.

Anyone is capable of changing their views. Kareem, David Duke, Rev Wright and the rest. However, I have two issues regarding this.

First is some of the posters gifting his change of heart that they have no clue about. Plus giving him an excuse for the hatred  and death wishes for whites he had in the past and maybe still has.  There is no acceptable excuse. Some things you just have to own up to. Like Casey Anthony... imagine a few years from now people saying she's had a change of heart about motherhood...   You gonna leave your kid with her at child care?? Is any white parent gonna leave their kid at Kareems for private basketball lessons after reading his books?

Secondly, any in depth interview he has now has to be taken with a grain of salt. Why? He has something to gain by not being thought a  white hating racist. Up until that point, his colors didnt change. So why believe any spin he puts on now when its clear theres an ulterior motive.

For a young kid, you cut some slack. But Kareem was a clear thinking, intellectual adult who formed his  opinions without ulterior motives. This is the real Kareem.  Of course I could be wrong but the burden of proof is on him to unwind his lifetime body of racial hatred. Until then, I dont cut him any slack. Nothing/

Sections
Shortcuts