Doc Rivers Will Be Back In Boston

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

Re: Doc Rivers Will Be Back In Boston

In response to BCSP's comment:

In response to puddinpuddin's comment:

Doc's time in Beantown is over/caput/finis.

If he doesn't get moved/swapped/bandied/traded/relocated/dealt/merchandized/shuffled to a more desirable (or him) coaching situation, he needs to man up and resign/quit/cash in his chips/swallow his pride/do the right thing/spend more time with family/draw unemployment checks.

He is now a dead man walking.... and will drag down DA and the team with him if he cannot be accomodated.

Its one thing for a player to be dangled.

For a coach to allow/enable/encourage this, it is an entirely different matter.

Pud

I think Doc and KG made up there minds (not to return to Cs) a few weeks ago ......... if the trade goes through ... it will only help to expedite the rebuilding process......a parting gift so to speak / type...

Give KG and Doc to Clips, cut Paul, trade Rondo for a lottery pick if you can, and lets roll, DA!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from teejaytee70. Show teejaytee70's posts

If this deal can be rekindled and the Celtics get just Jordan and 2 first round picks for KG and Doc, then I would do that.  I know Jordan is overrated and overpaid, but his contract only has 2 more years on it.  I don't want the Celtics signing any big contract free agents for the next couple of years anyways.  I want them in the lottery.  Plus, there is no guarantee the Clipper draft picks will be bad.  Sure, the 2014 pick would probably not be good, but there is a chance the 2016 pick might not be too bad - KG won't be there, and even if he is, he probably won't be that effective, Paul's health is questionable, and Griffin has an injury history.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

Give KG and Doc to Clips, cut Paul, trade Rondo for a lottery pick if you can, and lets roll, DA!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from painter. Show painter's posts

It is said that "familiarity breeds contempt", but in sports, familiarity breeds confidence among players and coaches.  The heavy-handed abuse Doc takes here is appaling given the facts of injuries and Danny Ainge.  Ainge is a clear and indisputable clunker of a GM.  Just as he was as a player, his impulsiveness leads his decision-making.  He was never a "thinker" as a player, only a reactive overachiever, and he's continued as in his current incarnation.  Ainge could always find a way to keep the opposition in the game by making horrid choices and ill-timed errors of judgement (really bad shot selection).  He's still finging ways to help other teams while hurting his own re: Tony and Ray Allen(s).  By not making either player an off-season priority, he sent them away.  Ray would have stayed if Ainge tried nearly as as hard to keep him as he worked to keep KG.  Ray wasn't looking for as much money as KG, but he was looking for respect and Ainge, not Doc, worked his particular "magic" to send a message to Ray that he wasn't all that critical to the team's success.  What idiocy!  Granted, we all think that Perkins would have wanted too much money to stay, but would he have accepted less to stay and win?  We'll never know because Ainge pulled the trigger at the worst possible time (after thinking that two over-the-hill, washed-up and injured centers could replace a healthy and adequate Perkins).   

I'm so tired of this Doc-bashing and talk of him as being the Devil incarnate when he has been taking teams farther into the playoffs than they might have deserved.  Doc isn't perfect, but he might just be perfect enough for a team that plays aggressive, team-oriented defense and relies on strong play from a number of players, not just "stars".  At the beginning of each of the last few seasons, the Celtics second team looked daunting on paper, but showed themselves to be paper tigers on the court, not because of Doc's coaching, but because the elements not used to gauge the bench was toughness and the ability to put the ball in the basket when it counts the most.  Leon Powe got the most from what he had while in Boston and that was because Doc pulled it out of him and gave him a green light, aided by the Big Three's examples.  Tony Allen was exposed during the WCF as a better role player than starter, something everyone here already knew, but Ainge didn't even talk to him to retain his services as a role player.  Allen thought, quite wrongly, that he should have started here - over whom, I ask?  All that Ainge had to do was point that out, but because DA didn't even bother to talk to Tony, he was gone.  

I apologize for the length of this, but it pales in comparision to the amount of negative and wrongly placed accusations regarding the responsibility for the Celtics problems.  Doc isn't the GM, and clearly Ainge isn't up to the task.  The fire-the-coach stupidity permeates all sports from high school to pros when most times talent quality is the crux of the issue, not who's directing the players.  But, the coach takes the fall, and not, as in this case, the GM?  I'd prefer to see more of Doc in the decisions and less of Ainge, but Ainge's ego can't tolerate that.  Firing Ainge is the only logical move at present.  As much as Pitino was awful, he did demand and receive the ability to choose his players.  He seemed to always chose wrong, but he still had the option to be wrong all by himself.  Doc hasn't that luxury available to him and he has to deal with Ainge's mistakes and blunders.

Give the Celtics a smart and thoughtful GM, let him bring in the necessary pieces (as can be done under the current CBA), give Doc a year and a half, and then judge Doc's performance with a full team, not beset by injuries, by the way.  Trade and draft fantasies and evaluations are what makes for enlivened discussions, but Doc-bashing serves no useful purpose other than to foment individual, personal frustrations that manifest as riding Doc out of town on a rail. Why no throw in the tar and feathers.  

I would guess, that's guess, that the same outspoken people who want Doc to leave the most also wanted the Celtics to get Austin Rivers and be coached by Doc.  

"They don't put Ws and Ls on the paychecks" - Sidney Wick

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from painter. Show painter's posts

In response to RallyC's comment:

.... and will drag down DA and the team with him if he cannot be accomodated.

I'm responding to this only because the original is on my "ignore" list.  Not meant to lay guilt by association.

"drag down DA"?????  Ha! DA, all by himself, has been the biggest drag on the franchise (Ever? Nah, Pitino beats him.) by making awful moves and mistakes for which the team has had to pay for a number of years. Who was responsible for trading Perkins, losing Ray Allen and Tony Allen, and not going after a center or serviceable PG and then signing a bunch of garbage guards that couldn't collectively shoot their way out of tissue paper?  Who drafted a shooter (Brooks) and traded him for another picks (Johnson) that couldn't stay in the league? Hint: not Doc. That's rich; Doc's "drag[ing] down DA".  "Fidling and didling" with facts, or more appropriately, without facts doesn't add anything to the conversation.  Obviously, not knowing much qualifies as an informed observation, huh?  Follow the breadcrumbs. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

In response to painter's comment:

In response to RallyC's comment:

[QUOTE]

.... and will drag down DA and the team with him if he cannot be accomodated.

I'm responding to this only because the original is on my "ignore" list.  Not meant to lay guilt by association.

"drag down DA"?????  Ha! DA, all by himself, has been the biggest drag on the franchise (Ever? Nah, Pitino beats him.) by making awful moves and mistakes for which the team has had to pay for a number of years. Who was responsible for trading Perkins, losing Ray Allen and Tony Allen, and not going after a center or serviceable PG and then signing a bunch of garbage guards that couldn't collectively shoot their way out of tissue paper?  Who drafted a shooter (Brooks) and traded him for another picks (Johnson) that couldn't stay in the league? Hint: not Doc. That's rich; Doc's "drag[ing] down DA".  "Fidling and didling" with facts, or more appropriately, without facts doesn't add anything to the conversation.  Obviously, not knowing much qualifies as an informed observation, huh?  Follow the breadcrumbs. 

[/QUOTE]

DA the last three years has been awful.  But be sure Doc and KG are gone even if the trade does not go through.  The whole thing was a disaster probably brought on by DA not being willing to keep KG and Pierce one more year.  We will be much worse than we would have been an troll just above the dregs of the league not allowing a prime lottery pick. Fire Danny too and bring in Larry Bird!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

Shameless lies, that is what they are especially for Doc.  Always being a front runner and a self serving one like Phil Jackson is a lot better than a total hypocritical liar that says whatever makes him look good at the time.

Seems to me bottom line is we are rebuilding, no matter what deal the Celtics do, nothing will change in that regards for the foreseeable future.  KG and Pierce are done in about one year, getting something or anything is not bad at this juncture.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

Bill Simmons Bill Simmons  @BillSimmons about 1 hour ago

I don't blame Doc for trying to bail, but he can't come back now. He just tried to quit on his players. Now he's going to coach them?

Read more: http://hoopshype.com/twitter/media.html#ixzz2WP1xipRz

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

Bill Simmons Bill Simmons  @BillSimmons about 1 hour ago

If you think Wyc Grousbeck is OK with Doc Rivers trying to bail after Wyc gave him $35m 2 years ago, then you don't know anything about Wyc.

Read more: http://hoopshype.com/twitter/media.html#ixzz2WP2GXjlA

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

It just dawned on me considering Doc's lack of honesty with the Celtics.  If this Clippers thing does not happen,  he could be coaching the Lakers after they fire D'Antoni?  He obviously wants to be in a place like Los Angeles or Miami.  He is gone forever from Boston.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from cabutan. Show cabutan's posts

DA will make a deal with clips...things have stalled but negotiations are not over and obviously clips really want doc and garnett...i hope doc leaves after this fiasco...i want to see a coach that has his heart kn the organization no matter what..

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

Doc's time in Beantown is over/caput/finis.

If he doesn't get moved/swapped/bandied/traded/relocated/dealt/merchandized/shuffled to a more desirable (or him) coaching situation, he needs to man up and resign/quit/cash in his chips/swallow his pride/do the right thing/spend more time with family/draw unemployment checks.

He is now a dead man walking.... and will drag down DA and the team with him if he cannot be accomodated.

Its one thing for a player to be dangled.

For a coach to allow/enable/encourage this, it is an entirely different matter.

Pud

I think Doc and KG made up their minds (not to return to Cs) a few weeks ago ......... if the trade goes through ... it will only help to expedite the rebuilding process......a parting gift so to speak / type...

Agree about Doc and KG. I say no way Doc coaches the Celtics again. I predict this trade being made one way or the other!!

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheNewGKDynasty. Show TheNewGKDynasty's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:

Brad Turner @BA_Turner

Doc Rivers been informed Clippers won't accept Celtics offer. Rivers prepared to stay in Boston, sources.

Retweeted by  Howard Beck

YOU WERE RIGHT AGAIN. "DOC RIVERS WILL BE BACK IN BOSTON"
    laugh out loud gif

Sections
Shortcuts