DOC STARTING A ROOKIE?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from gman101019. Show gman101019's posts

DOC STARTING A ROOKIE?

http://bostonherald.com/sports/basketball/celtics/view.bg?articleid=1061166781&srvc=sports&position=3

Doc loves him some sully, rondo too. Sully must be making one heck of an impression if  doc is considering starting him. Just the fact that hes contemplating it is crazy especially  for doc, who  we all know hates giving minutes to rookies. ( also see his comments about wizards.

Doc,rondo and kg, have all RAVED about sully bball iq. That is really saying something coming from those 3 guys. I like that comment by rondo how sully doesnt even need plays run for him he just gets points from cleaning up. The starting unit really needs that type of player. A guy who can get you 2-3 offensive rebounds per game that turn into 2-4 free points that we woulda never got. 

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Re: DOC STARTING A ROOKIE?

Im sure Docs talking about it now to get Bass comfortable with the idea. 

It would certainly be surprising if Doc starts Sully in the opener... knowing his history with rookies but maybe this kid is the real deal.. A few preseason games against NBA teams should shed more light... I like him a lot, his style of play. Sort of a Leon Powe/Cornbread mix....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Good analysis Karl...!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

In response to Karllost's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It would certainly be surprising if Doc starts Sully in the opener... knowing his history with rookies but maybe this kid is the real deal.. A few preseason games against NBA teams should shed more light... I like him a lot, his style of play. Sort of a Leon Powe/Cornbread mix....

[/QUOTE]

Bingo!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

But don't let the trolls find out...they think he's an overwerweight, over rated rookie, who will lead the league in getting his shot blocked.....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

Hope we can put all this "Doc doesn't play rookies" nonsense to rest now.  I have maintained for four years now, since we have taken the immortal JR Giddens, that Doc would play them if they were any good.

Here is the proof!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdLewsBias. Show BirdLewsBias's posts

I'm shocked to say the least. I'm one of those trolls. I think the strategy and thought process  Doc is using regarding Sully...never let him be the tallest guy on the court, is a good one. He'll always be with KG, Darko or Collins.

Remember when we drafted him, we hadn't signed any bigs and I was worried HE was going to be our big. I'm not sold on him as a player but if he's proving himself this much in training camp he must be good. Is he playing against Bass...another 6'8 guy?

Doc has to start developing some youth on this team so hey why not. Bass should be ok going to the 2nd unit now that he got his money.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamLock. Show JamLock's posts

In response to gman101019's comment:
    [QUOTE]

http://bostonherald.com/sports/basketball/celtics/view.bg?articleid=1061166781&srvc=sports&position=3

Doc loves him some sully, rondo too. Sully must be making one heck of an impression if  doc is considering starting him. Just the fact that hes contemplating it is crazy especially  for doc, who  we all know hates giving minutes to rookies. ( also see his comments about wizards.

Doc,rondo and kg, have all RAVED about sully bball iq. That is really saying something coming from those 3 guys. I like that comment by rondo how sully doesnt even need plays run for him he just gets points from cleaning up. The starting unit really needs that type of player. A guy who can get you 2-3 offensive rebounds per game that turn into 2-4 free points that we woulda never got. 

[/QUOTE]

Sullinger is a difference maker and can play the game.  He has a low post game that rivals Zach Randolph and has a nose for the ball.  I can envision banner #18 hanging in the rafters after this season!

As Always,

CELTICS RULE THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JamLock

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

I just read where Doc is toying with the idea of starting Darko on occasion.   He said he may go with three different starting lineups, depending on the opponent.  I kind of like the idea.........get what you can out of Darko at the beginning of the game.  Then, come in with Terry, Green, Bass, Sully and Wilcox  - although not saying play them in those positions.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from red2004sox. Show red2004sox's posts

It is early in camp but it is a good sign to just have him in the conversation.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

no, I don't believe it's too early....Doc sees what he has when Sully practices with the boys....they can see what skills he possesses and what skills need work....before the question of the back issue he was considered a high lottery pick....the Celtics may have just lucked into the steal of this draft....time will tell.... 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

Also analysts say that he could have gone as high as #2 in last years draft behind Irving.

I really think Doc is serious about the multiple starting line-ups. There's no clear single lineup that trumps all the rest. I think if you put Bass in the 2nd unit, you see him be less productive and also detract from Greens productivity. Also, even if Sullinger is worthy of starting, Bass is proven as that fourth guy. He is exactly what you need to complement the big three. He is accurate with his jumpers, he works hard to know the sets, he has an incredible FT%, and all our starters only take high percentage shots.. so is there really a need to have a big O-rebounder in there?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

I like Rondo, Lee, Pierce, KG and Darko..............play him like 8 mins in the first quarter (Darko), then keep him out the rest of the game, while we use Christmas, Jet, Green, Bass and Sully.  End of games, Rondo, Jet, Pierce, Green and KG.

Nice choices!!

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

In response to JamLock's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Sullinger is a difference maker and can play the game.  He has a low post game that rivals Zach Randolph and has a nose for the ball.  I can envision banner #18 hanging in the rafters after this season!

As Always,

JamLock

[/QUOTE]

Too early to say he's a difference maker, but I remember two things from the draft:

1.  BOTH Danny and Mitch tried to move up into the lottery to take MKG.

2.  After the draft, Kupchak stated in no uncertain terms that he was trying to get into the draft later to take Sullinger.

I think it speaks volumes that Danny and Mitch both wanted the same players.  If Kupchak, the best GM in the league, like Sullinger that much, he MUST be the real deal!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamLock. Show JamLock's posts

In response to BloggetyBloop's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

As Always,

JamLock

[/QUOTE]

I hope it is a vivid vison that you can hold onto for another 19 years, as it will take at least that long before the Celtics are due again. Good luck anyways!

[/QUOTE]

We all have our opinions and mine is as I expressed, as yours is probably something you hope pans out.  However, since this forum is "Celtics on the Frontburner," I am more inclined to post my thoughts here than on the fan forum of say the second best winners and GREATEST LOSERS IN NBA Finals history.  After all, every other team in the Association aspires to be the best, but there is only one team that presently holds that distinction, the Boston Celtics.  History, not a mystery or even fiction.  Never posted anywhere else about basketball, never will.  Why?  I follow the best; why equivocate about something less?  I see you are posting here too!

As Always,

CELTICS RULE THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JamLock

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamLock. Show JamLock's posts

In response to hedleylamarr's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

As Always,

JamLock

[/QUOTE]

Too early to say he's a difference maker, but I remember two things from the draft:

1.  BOTH Danny and Mitch tried to move up into the lottery to take MKG.

2.  After the draft, Kupchak stated in no uncertain terms that he was trying to get into the draft later to take Sullinger.

I think it speaks volumes that Danny and Mitch both wanted the same players.  If Kupchak, the best GM in the league, like Sullinger that much, he MUST be the real deal!!

[/QUOTE]

Great points, Hedley!  As a fellow alum of The Ohio State University, I would have to admit to being biased, but I've seen the kid play many times and like his game.  He has a game built for the NBA and with the extremely talented personnel surrounding him, he is no longer the center of attention and subject to all the double teaming that went on at the lower levels.  Health permitting, watch Sullinger blossom into an impact player playing with "the best point guard in the Association, bar none" and other talented teammates.

As Always,

CELTICS RULE THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JamLock

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

Sullinger has Kevin Love type potential.

Jared Sullinger Boston Celtics

Position: PF
    Born: 3/04/92
    Height: 6-9 / 2,06
    Weight: 265 lbs. / 120,2 kg.
    College: Ohio State '14

Very polished low-post game... Good rebounder... Not an elite athlete... Must improve conditioning.

42 Kevin Love Minnesota Timberwolves

Position: C
    Born: 9/07/88
    Height: 6-10 / 2,08
    Weight: 255 lbs. / 115,7 kg.
    College: UCLA '11

The best rebounder in the league... A double-double machine... Great low-post skills... Very strong... Outstanding rebounder... Knows how to get position down low... Effective outside shooter... Good three-point percentages... Lacks athleticism... Mediocre defender... A star already.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In response to Karllost's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    Agree that it would be very surprising if he starts.  Doc usually never gives rookies a chance to even play many minutes, but especially never start games. 

Sections
Shortcuts