Doc to Blame

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CelticNut. Show CelticNut's posts

Doc to Blame

Sadly, we owe our poor play to Doc.  He actually was satisfied with our offense last night and Red would have turned over in his grave if he heard Doc speak after the game.  Doc said something to the effect that he was comfortable with the shots taken, we just didn't make them.  As the C's hoisted one 25-footer after another allowing the Bucks to overcome their deficit, I popped one Tum's after another!  The Celtic shot selection was putrid and it has been all season.  Why is KG always taking 20-footers and fall-aways.  Can Jason Terry ever drive to the hoop?  Can anyone post up besides Pierce and Rondo?  Ugh! 

Another coaching blunder was having Jeff Green attempting to box out Ilayasova for a key rebound?  Surely Bass or Jason Collins would have been better!  It is the little things like this that make a great coach. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdLewsBias. Show BirdLewsBias's posts

Re: Doc to Blame

I'm not going to blame Doc for Green's injury. If he's on the floor he's got to rebound and it's unfortunate that it happened...that's not coaching.

Now the shot selection he was satisfied with is a BIG problem. If no one is hitting jumpers, someone should've told KG...get on the block. He should've told Terry, drive and get to the line and maybe you get some confidence and find your stroke.

It was a pathetic coached game, played game...all around game was bad. The one bright spot was PP. He's carrying the team...better yet the scoring right now.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdLewsBias. Show BirdLewsBias's posts

...and that's coaching, that's what we're saying. Just because they like to do those things doesn't mean they should do them to the detriment of the team. This is where coaching comes in. THe objective is to win and sometimes everyone has to do something different to make that happen.

That's the problem everyone is doing what they want to do and not what they need to do.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdLewsBias. Show BirdLewsBias's posts

So what you pick two plays that they missed baskets. That doesn't mean that they don't keep trying it, Doc should be drilling it in their head. Remember Doc created this monster by using KG at the 5 and he was suppose to bring other C's away from the basket. Now what has happened is it's turned KG into a jump shooter. If he plays the 4 I believe he will go down on the block.

As for Terry, I think he's turning into RA. I like Terry when he's handling the ball and coming off screens to get his shot...not just spotting up and shooting. If that's all we needed we could've kept RA. Remember Doc told us that he liked that Terry was creative and could get his own shot.

No one is saying KG needs to become Shaq or Terry should be hit every shot but it's Doc's job to push buttons, motivate, kick, bench, etc to get the most out of this team and right now that's not happening. Doc is following a script. He's changing the starters but after that the script is the same and the habits are the same.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to BirdLewsBias' comment:
    [QUOTE]

So what you pick two plays that they missed baskets. That doesn't mean that they don't keep trying it, Doc should be drilling it in their head. Remember Doc created this monster by using KG at the 5 and he was suppose to bring other C's away from the basket. Now what has happened is it's turned KG into a jump shooter. If he plays the 4 I believe he will go down on the block.

As for Terry, I think he's turning into RA. I like Terry when he's handling the ball and coming off screens to get his shot...not just spotting up and shooting. If that's all we needed we could've kept RA. Remember Doc told us that he liked that Terry was creative and could get his own shot.

No one is saying KG needs to become Shaq or Terry should be hit every shot but it's Doc's job to push buttons, motivate, kick, bench, etc to get the most out of this team and right now that's not happening. Doc is following a script. He's changing the starters but after that the script is the same and the habits are the same.

[/QUOTE]

Like I said, if you have been paying attention, since 2008 Doc has been telling KG to go inside more. KG just can't do it.

And please stop talking about keeping Ray because Ray left. The Celts offered more money and even offered to put a no trade clause on Ray's contract. But Ray left. Celts didn't opt to let Ray go, Ray opted to go to Miami.

There's a reason why KG only has 1 championship and Tim Duncan has 4.

Remember, when KG was in Minny, KG only got past the 1st round of the playoffs once!

Just stop trying to force KG to become an inside player. It's never going to happen. 

[/QUOTE]

All your comments on KG and Terry are correct.  What complicates it all is the fact that KG is 36 and that last year we knew that KG could not play the minutes he played in the playoffs last year.  So what happened we brought in Darko, Collins, and Wilcox to remedy what is 36 year old player at the 5 who is not really a rebounder.  Doc and Danny had to be crazy to think the result would be different.  Of course we can't rebound,  and of course we are not as good as last year.

I don't know what the future holds but if we don't bring in a big man of impact we will have a sub .500 year and possibly see KG retire or ask for a trade.  The players of this team look so exhausted and drained at this point they look like it is March not before Christmas.  What is most troubling is that the Gortat trade did not happen, the Celtics had to have made an offer and they could not have liked it.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdLewsBias. Show BirdLewsBias's posts

LOL! Please pay attention. I just said no one wants KG to become Shaq. I said that KG should go on the block EVEN if it creates double teams and more open shots for our shooters. Remember when KG goes on the block he's a great passing big man and that's when the team had it's most success. It's not always to score but it gives the opponent something to defend.

We need a block presence and until Doc puts someone there we are going to struggle. This is why I didn't want Sully in the draft. We can't have two PF that are 6'8 pretending to be PFs in Sully and Bass...it's killing us. Let Collins play the role of Perk and KG go from the top of the key to the block.

You act like we just have to live with what we are doing. NO, these guys get paid a ton of money to adjust and it's basketball it's not brain surgery. If we aren't going to put KG on the block then go get someone that will be a presence on the block. Remember Doc told us that he always wanted someone bigger than Sully when Sully is on the court. Well that's not happening. Sully is playing with Bass a lot.

Doc doesn't know his team and doesn't know how to use the skillset of his team. Green is wasting away on the bench. Doc is lost.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

[QUOTE]

LOL! Please pay attention. I just said no one wants KG to become Shaq. I said that KG should go on the block EVEN if it creates double teams and more open shots for our shooters. Remember when KG goes on the block he's a great passing big man and that's when the team had it's most success. It's not always to score but it gives the opponent something to defend.

We need a block presence and until Doc puts someone there we are going to struggle. This is why I didn't want Sully in the draft. We can't have two PF that are 6'8 pretending to be PFs in Sully and Bass...it's killing us. Let Collins play the role of Perk and KG go from the top of the key to the block.

You act like we just have to live with what we are doing. NO, these guys get paid a ton of money to adjust and it's basketball it's not brain surgery. If we aren't going to put KG on the block then go get someone that will be a presence on the block. Remember Doc told us that he always wanted someone bigger than Sully when Sully is on the court. Well that's not happening. Sully is playing with Bass a lot.

Doc doesn't know his team and doesn't know how to use the skillset of his team. Green is wasting away on the bench. Doc is lost.

[/QUOTE]

Sure hope your not saying Green should take Pierce spot in the lineup like so many were saying 2 weeks ago.  Yes  I remember who they were.  They have been quiet as mice recently.   We have one bonafide scorer on this team.  Green should be the second even if he has to play 4 spot or Pierce has to play the 2.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

In response to OneOnOne's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Sure hope your not saying Green should take Pierce spot in the lineup like so many were saying 2 weeks ago.  Yes  I remember who they were.  They have been quiet as mice recently.   We have one bonafide scorer on this team.  Green should be the second even if he has to play 4 spot or Pierce has to play the 2.

[/QUOTE]

I have not been quiet,  if you mean me.  I will gladly admit I am wrong on PP being so good lately.  The problem is One on One is the Celtics are losing in spite of it.  It is mystifying to me that all the talent brought in is not meshing and something has to be done. Other than a trade for a big man and a back up point guard as you said on another thread.  I could never understand why they could not get Dooling to come back.  Your comments about defense are right on as well. Melo should bring five more fouls to these games and who knows what else he has but this team sits on the perimeter and lives or dies with jump shots while other teams we used to beat kill us inside.  I don't have a fix, and admit it.  The team as I stated did not get another big man to support KG in the pre- season and that is inexcusable to me.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

"The team as I stated did not get another big man to support KG in the pre- season and that is inexcusable to me."

concord, that's not fair to the Celtics. The moment the Celts opted not to go under the salary cap it meant no free-agent big man. It was either KG or the Celts offer Brook Lopez, Hibbert, McGee, or the other free-agent big men max contracts or close to a max contract.

It's not the Celts didn't want to get a big, they just couldn't because of salary cap restrictions. 

[/QUOTE]

I should have said they should have looked to trade for a big man.  The idea that they signed KG knowing he would play twenty five minutes during the season and had only Wilcox to sub for him was crazy.  I admit I never dreamed they did not have a remedy for another big man to play minutes.  KG in my opinion could not have signed on thinking the present big man situation behind him was adequate but what do I know. The season is on the brink if we don't get a big man of impact soon, that is a fact as I know you know.  

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Tibs is a great coach, not Doc. He has the Bulls playiong Celtic ball..great defense and moving the ball ... nad their best player been out all season.  Tibs would have our Celtic team in much better shape than Doc imo. Tibs built our defense thaty won a title...when he left, things have slowly been falling apart.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

In response to Karllost's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Tibs is a great coach, not Doc. He has the Bulls playiong Celtic ball..great defense and moving the ball ... nad their best player been out all season.  Tibs would have our Celtic team in much better shape than Doc imo. Tibs built our defense thaty won a title...when he left, things have slowly been falling apart.

[/QUOTE]

He also had the personnel to do it.  Doc's got old.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

We got killed on the glass at both ends. How's Doc gonna make that better if the tallest guy on the team is out clanking 20 footers? What also gets to me is guys just standing around waiting for Pierce to put up a shot. How about moving without the ball to try to get open or maybe even trying to establish rebounding position underneath? This team looked tired and lazy last night.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Grass is always greener on the other side (Thibs is a better coach).  Thibs is dealing with younger guys who haven't had to change out their team.  Doc is dealing with older guys and trying to get them to blend in with new guys.

I'm with Fierce on this one.   KG and Terry are NOT going to change their stripes after a very long career.  As players get older, they don't move in closer to the basket - they shoot more jumpers and move FURTHER from the basket.  Its cause they're older and don't jump as high and can't blow by or over people anymore.  That goes for Bird, Magic, Kareem, MJ, Doc J, Kobe, Kemp, Vince Carter, and any other high flying superstar.  KG is no different.  He's older and he's thin and he's not going to muscle anyone underneath.  You're smoking dope if you think that's going to happen and you've watched it for 5 years now. 

The issue is with the players Danny brought in.  He took a gamble and so far, it hasn't paid off.  He recruited smaller and took Garnett's contract.  He does not have a big man who rebounds inside and plays inside points.  Let's stop pretending that the guys we have are going to do something different than any older player is going to do.

And...Doc knows it too and has given up trying to change KG.  We knew we had a poor man's Ray Allen when Terry got here.  He's a jump shooter and that's what he does, like Ray.   That's what we recruited.   

Let's talk about solutions - specifically:  what trade will be done, if any.   What player can bring us inside points and rebounds because expecting Doc to change the nature of a 17 year player and a 13 year player is not going to happen.   Blame Doc for not using Green right.  Blame him for not getting Rondoto change - he's young.  Blame Danny for the roster.   Those would be valid points.

Sections
Shortcuts