DOc weighs in on Perk trade..

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

DOc weighs in on Perk trade..

“I do think Jeff Green has a chance to be a starter for us in the future and a hell of a basketball player, and Krstic can help, but making that trade at the time we made that trade, that made it very tough for us,’’ Rivers said.

“And not only that, we added other pieces as well that we tried to fit in, so it was just a lot of moving parts to a team that the advantage that we had was that we had continuity, everybody else was new, Chicago was new and the Heat were new. They couldn’t fall back on what we could fall back on with our starting five, and once we made that trade, we took that advantage away.’’

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

Re: DOc weighs in on Perk trade..

Outsider looking in. I think the Celtics would have lost to Miami with Perkins in the team. That trade upset the teams chemistry but it didn't change the end result.

Maybe an extra win against Miami? But Perkins isn't that much of a game changer. He plays well against Dwight Howard though.

Celtics actually made a good move for the future with this trade. I think Green has a lot to offer The Celtics.

At best Perkins is a complimentary player. Remove the 'big three' and he'll be exposed as just that a complimentary player who happens to match up well against some guys in the league. Green can be a true contributer to the team.

I wonder if there was equal outrage at the time when Danny Ainge was traded way back then for Pinckney and Kliene?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Good post!! ........I, for one, was extremely disappointed when they traded Danny....was also disappointed when Max was traded....of course, we ended up with Walton and another championship....still, if Max (and Bird) hadn't gotten injured I like our chances in '85....possible tree-peat....add in '87......what a run it could've been....but all teams face challenges every year....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

If not for injuries, we could be working on a 4 peat this season... Pretty wild statement but I believe holds merit.

We've dropped the possibility of lots of titles over the years because of untimely injuries... 87 perfect example.... the last 3 years... The one year Russ was hurt..

PRob more I cant even think of... with all the success of the Celtics, so much more could haveebeen had.. part of the game though. Waiting to see if other teams get their fair share,, so far not even close

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In Response to Re: DOc weighs in on Perk trade..:
    If not for injuries, we could be working on a 4 peat this season... Pretty wild statement but I believe holds merit. We've dropped the possibility of lots of titles over the years because of untimely injuries... 87 perfect example.... the last 3 years... The one year Russ was hurt.. PRob more I cant even think of... with all the success of the Celtics, so much more could haveebeen had.. part of the game though. Waiting to see if other teams get their fair share,, so far not even close
    Posted by Karllost

In addition to injuries, what about the deaths of two of their players.  How many other teams have suffered the same unfortunate circumstances that the Celtics did?  I can't remember another NBA team that was so unlucky. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

Good post!! ........I, for one, was extremely disappointed when they traded Danny....was also disappointed when Max was traded....of course, we ended up with Walton and another championship....still, if Max (and Bird) hadn't gotten injured I like our chances in '85....possible tree-peat....add in '87......what a run it could've been....but all teams face challenges every year....
    Posted by Duke4

Celtics were absolutely cursed in 1987.

Stars aligned for us in 1985, I think that loss in the finals in 1984 really taught the team, especially Magic how hard it would be to beat Boston in the finals. I still think from an historical perspective that is the greatest Laker championship ever. Winning the title against Boston, but winning it in The Garden. Didn't get sweeter than that.

I don't consider the 1987 finals to be a fair fight. But Boston was still dangerous because of Larry Bird. That guy was just a one in a million.

The Danny trade seems weird to me. I can see that Boston wanted to get 'big' but both Kliene and Pinckey did precious little for Boston during their careers there. Ainge contributed to two championship runs with Portland and Phoenix. Losing both times, but he still added a lot to both teams.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

In Response to Re: DOc weighs in on Perk trade.. : In addition to injuries, what about the deaths of two of their players.  How many other teams have suffered the same unfortunate circumstances that the Celtics did?  I can't remember another NBA team that was so unlucky. 
    Posted by susan250

I can't think of one. Losing Bias was incalculable, lot's of mystery though in regards to how he'd have been as a pro. I'll just settle that he'd have been a very good player. He'd have made a huge difference to Boston in '87 at the very least.

We were broken when Magic was forced to retire before the '92 season. If Magic was in our team, we'd have always been a danger to any side. Just like Boston with Larry Bird, even when he was playing with his injured back he was still dangerous. Losing Magic signaled the end for his Lakers team. Just a sad and tragic way for that era to end. Wasn't fair at all.

I don't know if Reggie Lewis would have led Boston to a championship. He would have been a bridging player between championships I think. Needed a second star to help take the pressure off him. I see him as being a Paul Pierce type in that Celtics team.

He would have been the star but I don't think he'd have been enough alone to get the Celtics over the hump. Especially when you had the Bulls winning titles during his time with the team.

Realistically The Celtics would have had a shot (maybe) in 95 and 96. After Jordan retired again, Reggie would have been in his mid 30's in '99 and '00 and by then his and his teams window may have closed.

Reggie was a very good player, but I don't think he had that x-factor that a guy such as Bird possessed. Reggie would have needed much better players around him rather than Dino Radja and Xavier McDaniel to compete for a title.

That '93 Celtics team was still ok. It wasn't great but Lewis still had McHale and Parish with him. And plus the fact Boston could well have gone though the whole M.L. Carr mess.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

In Response to Re: DOc weighs in on Perk trade.. : Celtics were absolutely cursed in 1987. Stars aligned for us in 1985, I think that loss in the finals in 1984 really taught the team, especially Magic how hard it would be to beat Boston in the finals. I still think from an historical perspective that is the greatest Laker championship ever. Winning the title against Boston, but winning it in The Garden. Didn't get sweeter than that. I don't consider the 1987 finals to be a fair fight. But Boston was still dangerous because of Larry Bird. That guy was just a one in a million. The Danny trade seems weird to me. I can see that Boston wanted to get 'big' but both Kliene and Pinckey did precious little for Boston during their careers there. Ainge contributed to two championship runs with Portland and Phoenix. Losing both times, but he still added a lot to both teams.
    Posted by RUWorthy

WHy did you need to bring that up? 

Man did I HATE watching Kareem grin and run around the Garden celebrating the title..  the only redeeming aspect of that was knowing it was Magic who was DA MAN to bring the Lakers the title and not Kareem.

The only time I rooted for him was against the Knicks long ago in the ECF's in 69-70.. when the Knicks won the title (Willis Reed moment).  He let me down then.. rooted against him when he played at UCLA and every other team..just never liked the guy.

Yes, I hated the Knicks more than Kareem..its actually possible. I grew up in NYC area, getting all the NY tv/radio etc...and being a Celtic fan, it was disturbing watching them win the title and hearing all the lapdog NY media & fans fawn all over them

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

Laughing

Really did become Magics team that year. Kareem started the transition, which moved more of the offense to Magic and Big Game James. Smart move, and Kareem never struck me as being a stupid man.

Yeah, that whole thing with those New York titles. There did seem to be a lot of hype around the titles. And the nerve to go and call it a 'Dynasty'. Two titles does not make a 'Dynasty'. If they won again in the 70's and 80's then you could call it a 'Dynasty' of sorts.

Just overhyped, a good team though. A very good team. Must have killed Jerry West and co to finally see the back of Russell and his Celtics. Only to be beaten by New York. I think that loss would have hurt just as much as the Celtics loss, because surely West would have thought it was finally his time to win a few titles.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

Ainge basically ran around that he was wrong in making the move in another interview.

The way Doc explained it I mean it makes sense. Hopefully Green can show us why we traded for him. If not we just got played by OKC. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

Most tragic thing about Reggie Lewis was that he had a child. Wasn't there another on the way?

Just tragic that those little ones missed out on having their dad. I'm sure they'd have been looked after very well financially. But missing out on having their Dad .... couldn't imagine it and don't want to.

Bad for the Celtics team, but that family. Horrible, just horrible. He just should have just stopped playing all together after those first two opinions given by the doctors. His death may well have been unaviodable. Cry

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

Ainge basically ran around that he was wrong in making the move in another interview. The way Doc explained it I mean it makes sense. Hopefully Green can show us why we traded for him. If not we just got played by OKC. 
    Posted by Pancakespwn

I love that avatar of yours. Great art, and I love Spider-Man.

Green is a good player, he just needs to be worked into the system. That should be done by Rivers now the season is finished.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

In Response to DOc weighs in on Perk trade..:
    “I do think Jeff Green has a chance to be a starter for us in the future and a hell of a basketball player, and Krstic can help, but making that trade at the time we made that trade, that made it very tough for us,’’ Rivers said. “And not only that, we added other pieces as well that we tried to fit in, so it was just a lot of moving parts to a team that the advantage that we had was that we had continuity, everybody else was new, Chicago was new and the Heat were new. They couldn’t fall back on what we could fall back on with our starting five, and once we made that trade, we took that advantage away.’’
    Posted by Karllost

I love how people are splicing the words to fit the argument they want to support......

here is what Doc said - they thought it was only a matter of days maybe a week or two at most before Shaq got back...

Ordway on WEEI said that Phil Jackson was very surprised about the Perk trade because as he said "Jackson said they were cruising along" - Ordway doesn't think that the rest of us are smart enough to know that Shaq was the reason they were cruising along.

It was apparent when Perk returned that he was not in shape or 100% - the Cs had a better winning percentage with Shaq vs. with Perk.

Splicing the interview helps an arugment but viewing it sequentially he did not say the trade killed the team.  If Shaq had been healthy, they would still be playing and nobody would even be talking about Perk.

Another thing that Doc said, and of course nobody here will even consider addressing, is that as a result of the way teams guard Rondo it requires the core to have been around a longtime and that as a result of the way teams play Rondo their offense has to be complex.  So what he was saying was that because nobody guards Rondo, there was no way to integrate new players.  I think what he was saying was that if Rondo could shoot then brining in Krstic, etc. would have been no big deal.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

In Response to DOc weighs in on Perk trade.. : I love how people are splicing the words to fit the argument they want to support...... here is what Doc said - they thought it was only a matter of days maybe a week or two at most before Shaq got back... Ordway on WEEI said that Phil Jackson was very surprised about the Perk trade because as he said "Jackson said they were cruising along" - Ordway doesn't think that the rest of us are smart enough to know that Shaq was the reason they were cruising along. It was apparent when Perk returned that he was not in shape or 100% - the Cs had a better winning percentage with Shaq vs. with Perk. Splicing the interview helps an arugment but viewing it sequentially he did not say the trade killed the team.  If Shaq had been healthy, they would still be playing and nobody would even be talking about Perk. Another thing that Doc said, and of course nobody here will even consider addressing, is that as a result of the way teams guard Rondo it requires the core to have been around a longtime and that as a result of the way teams play Rondo their offense has to be complex.  So what he was saying was that because nobody guards Rondo, there was no way to integrate new players.  I think what he was saying was that if Rondo could shoot then brining in Krstic, etc. would have been no big deal.
    Posted by TheDUDDER

Wow, I was actually agreeing with your post until the last paragraph where you just couldnt resist talking about Rondo and making up something that was not even said in the int'vw.....Will you ever change?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

In Response to Re: DOc weighs in on Perk trade.. : Wow, I was actually agreeing with your post until the last paragraph where you just couldnt resist talking about Rondo and making up something that was not even said in the int'vw.....Will you ever change?
    Posted by JayShizzle45

Well then you obviously didn't hear the whole interview - Doc specifically stated the way teams play Rondo, it makes the offense very complex and with Perk around we could reach back into the playbook for 3 or 4 years ago and basically would not miss a beat but with the new guys it couldn't happen.

I think you probably could go to WEEI and listen to the interview again.  Change what?  Go back and listen.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Im only going by what people posted here as being the intvw.  I dont listen to eei too much these days, but forgive me if that particular info was not mentioned on this board.

Either way, Doc can say what he wants, but when you lose, you lose as a team, and Rondo could have been mark price in that seris and we still lose.  Nothin to do with Perk, Rondo, because these were the 2 weak links of the team....everyone knows that.  Its the big 3 not showing up every night that killed this team, Period . Point Blank.  That and ummmm, turnovers, lack of rebounding, and lack of execution in the 4th.

Your Boy Delonte closed the last game and nothing changed.  Rondo isnt required to rebound by your own merit, so that shouldnt be put on him either as he had one arm...but baby, K.G., JON, Green all failed to rebound with 2 working arms....  Stop slamming Rondo...We lost because our team wasnt good enough..

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

Im only going by what people posted here as being the intvw.  I dont listen to eei too much these days, but forgive me if that particular info was not mentioned on this board. Either way, Doc can say what he wants, but when you lose, you lose as a team, and Rondo could have been mark price in that seris and we still lose.  Nothin to do with Perk, Rondo, because these were the 2 weak links of the team....everyone knows that.  Its the big 3 not showing up every night that killed this team, Period . Point Blank.  That and ummmm, turnovers, lack of rebounding, and lack of execution in the 4th. Your Boy Delonte closed the last game and nothing changed.  Rondo isnt required to rebound by your own merit, so that shouldnt be put on him either as he had one arm...but baby, K.G., JON, Green all failed to rebound with 2 working arms....  Stop slamming Rondo...We lost because our team wasnt good enough..
    Posted by JayShizzle45

And one of the main reason the team was not good enough is because they have a (supposed elite) point guard that creates tremendous pressure on his own team's offense and allows the other team to double off of him.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Noone was doubled on our team when they were missing wide open layups...If not for Rondo, this team does not even make the playoffs!  Ever thought about that?

Do you think Nate and West would have got us to a 33-9 record....West wasnt even heatlhy the first half and had a suspension the 1st ten games...gimme a break...I tried to have a normal discussion but all you can aknowledge are Rondo's faults....I guess the other guys..you know the hall of famers....they dont have any accountability...just blame it all on the guy that you hate...

see ya Dud!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

That always an area where a coach and a GM will have different standpoints. A coach focusses on right now and a Gm has to look at both the now and the later. I can understand where Doc is coming from but if we wait until the end of the year we lose all control over who we get in return or where he goes. The end of the season comes we do or don't win ring 18 and Perk signs with a Mia,Chi,Atl etc and we get sqat. At the end of the season the deal with OKC might not have been available. I still think not resigning TA had a bigger impact on this season than the trade, but I'm guessing TA was never Docs kinda guy for some reason so oh well. Coulda, shoulda, woulda can't change the past so I'm hoping we make the right moves this offseason both player and role wise. I really don't want a rehash of a Sheed or Shaq/JO signings. The best thing about this years draft is that the talent level at 30 is as good as at 3 down.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

Noone was doubled on our team when they were missing wide open layups...If not for Rondo, this team does not even make the playoffs!  Ever thought about that? Do you think Nate and West would have got us to a 33-9 record....West wasnt even heatlhy the first half and had a suspension the 1st ten games...gimme a break...I tried to have a normal discussion but all you can aknowledge are Rondo's faults....I guess the other guys..you know the hall of famers....they dont have any accountability...just blame it all on the guy that you hate... see ya Dud!
    Posted by JayShizzle45

Do I ever think of whether they would make the playoffs without Rondo?  Well without Rondo they likely would not make the playoffs but with any number of other point guards around the league, they would have.

I am not blaming it all on Rondo but it is too easily dismissed on this board.  PP and Ray were playing against better players at their positions and KG had one good game but was outplayed in the other 4 by someone who is supposed to be soft.  The Heat's obvious athletic advantage was in my opinion the biggest difference in the series and Rondo as the third most athletic guy in the series very simply did not step up.  Of course I will read some sort of response from you and a bunch of others about how Rondo was hurt - well my response in advance is Rondo was a joke in game 1 and 2 and in game 3 they were comfortably ahead before he got hurt and when he came back.  Rondo's injury had ZERO affect on the outcome of the series.

Rondo's strengths that many other point guards in the league also possess, and those other point guards have strengths that Rondo gets a chubby about fantasizing having their skills.

As I have said many times, if Rondo averaged 30 assists and then there were a bunch of guys around 10 and if he averaged 10 steals per game and there were  a bunch of guys around 2 I would be more than happy to give him kudos but he did not even lead the league in assists, not did he lead the league in rebounding for point guards, and he did lead the league in steals.  But he is given a dozen uncontested jumpers in every single game and he waits and waits and waits until one his teammates runs their a ss off trying to get open so that he can get an assist and not chuck an airball.  He is the worst shooter in the league at his point, cannot finish, gets a ton of shots blocked, and is obviously the worst free throw shooter in the league.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

So instead of just sticking with the facts that the big 3 were outplayed, you choose say things like the team didnt win because our pg couldnt get 30 assists a game!?  guys have to make shots in order for that to happen.  10 steals a game...gimme a break. 

I can admit Rondo hinders the offense at times with his lack of wanting to shoot, but we lost due to muiltiple reasons and the Rondo factor is way down on that list.  First is rebounding, 2nd is turnovers and 3rd is lack of execution. 

I admit Rondo played an average game 1, but he came to play in game 2 but Peirce was thrown out.  Games 4 and 5 were lost to due to poor 4th quarter execution, no effort from the bench and nooone boxing out Joel Anthony....   A few Rondo jumpers would not have effected this series.

Pierce was able to go head to head w/ Lebron back in 08' so I would use that as an excuse, but Paul is much older and Lebron finally won that battle...Ray has done more when covering Kobe Bryant    Just not our year

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

So instead of just sticking with the facts that the big 3 were outplayed, you choose say things like the team didnt win because our pg couldnt get 30 assists a game!?  guys have to make shots in order for that to happen.  10 steals a game...gimme a break.  I can admit Rondo hinders the offense at times with his lack of wanting to shoot, but we lost due to muiltiple reasons and the Rondo factor is way down on that list.  First is rebounding, 2nd is turnovers and 3rd is lack of execution.  I admit Rondo played an average game 1, but he came to play in game 2 but Peirce was thrown out.  Games 4 and 5 were lost to due to poor 4th quarter execution, no effort from the bench and nooone boxing out Joel Anthony....   A few Rondo jumpers would not have effected this series. Pierce was able to go head to head w/ Lebron back in 08' so I would use that as an excuse, but Paul is much older and Lebron finally won that battle...Ray has done more when covering Kobe Bryant    Just not our year
    Posted by JayShizzle45

The point about the 30 assists and 10 steals is simple..... in order for Rondo's strengths to outweigh his weaknesses those are the kinds of numbers he would need to put up.

You can't have a dozen peers doing all the same things you do and another dozen doing all the things you can't do and be considered an elite player.

So the fact that he is the worst shooter in the league that is generally not guarded, can't  make 3s, freebies, or even the most routine jumpers with any consistency is not offset by your actual strengths if there are a dozen other guys in the league with the same strengths.

A few Rondo jumpers would not have made the difference?

Would a few jumpers, a few threes, actually being guarded by someone, getting to the rim and making freebies and getting opponents into foul trouble make a difference?  You know like actually doing what point guards do?  Would those things make a difference?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

Noone was doubled on our team when they were missing wide open layups...If not for Rondo, this team does not even make the playoffs!  Ever thought about that? Do you think Nate and West would have got us to a 33-9 record....West wasnt even heatlhy the first half and had a suspension the 1st ten games...gimme a break...I tried to have a normal discussion but all you can aknowledge are Rondo's faults....I guess the other guys..you know the hall of famers....they dont have any accountability...just blame it all on the guy that you hate... see ya Dud!
    Posted by JayShizzle45

Our future HOFers accept accountability totally. That's why they are certain HOFers the first year they are eligible. They man up when something goes wrong... and they work to fix it.

Not Rondo.

At some point, our PG with the kindergarten jumper/FT shooting and the temperment to match has to accept accountability for failing to mature as an all around player with a balanced game.

He is certainly not headed to the HOF... except to visit.

Deal with it.

Pud 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Wow!  Double whammy....let me try to anwer you both...

Pg's arent required to hit 3's...   We have the best 3 pt shooter in the game...if he isnt making shots...why expect Rondo to drain 3's?  He doesnt even take them so...incomplete grade there...

He is not a great f/t shooter...but he hasnt gotten to the line to be exposed that much....

the bigger question is why do you think the pg is the only guy needing to get to the line. How about Paul turning into a jump shooter when he is a beast driving the hole?  He used to be # 1 in f/t attempts , so what happened.  Did he lose his ability to drive or has he just gotten old?

What is Pierce doing to offset that weakness that used to be a strenght?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

Wow!  Double whammy....let me try to anwer you both... Pg's arent required to hit 3's...   We have the best 3 pt shooter in the game...if he isnt making shots...why expect Rondo to drain 3's?  He doesnt even take them so...incomplete grade there... He is not a great f/t shooter...but he hasnt gotten to the line to be exposed that much.... the bigger question is why do you think the pg is the only guy needing to get to the line. How about Paul turning into a jump shooter when he is a beast driving the hole?  He used to be # 1 in f/t attempts , so what happened.  Did he lose his ability to drive or has he just gotten old? What is Pierce doing to offset that weakness that used to be a strenght?
    Posted by JayShizzle45

His coach told him to get to the rim and get to the line, the national media go on and on about that is when Rondo is most effective when he is going to the hole.... and what does he do?  AVOID IT.

You completely miss the point on jumpers and 3s, etc.  They are routine part of everyone's repertoire, so the fact that Ray is a great 3 point shooter does not make it his job exclusively, especially when Rondo is standing at the 3 point line with nobody within 10 feet of him.  He would be guarded and the opponent would not be double teaming Pierce or sagging in the paint, etc.

How you can't see this or accept this is simply beyond me but then again lots of things are beyond me.

Why does Paul not get to the line as much?  Because that should be guarding Rondo is doubling Pierce. DUH.

Sections
Shortcuts