Doc will have to pull a Pop soon.....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Doc will have to pull a Pop soon.....

People talk about Duncan is not what he used to be.  True, he's not.  But, his stats are partially down because Pop has been able to win and still minimize Tim's minutes.  Tim averages 28.5 min/gm.  He is still top 10 in rebounds per 48 minutes played.  He's the guy who starts their fast break with great outlet passes and when needed, he scores (witness 22 points in an important game against Dallas this past week, shooting 61% FG %).   He's 8th in the league in blocks per game even though he's only averaging 28 minutes!!!

His reward?  He got the day off in the game after Dallas when the Spurs played Charlotte.  Of course the Spurs killed Charlotte so his teammates stepped up.

Clearly, he's rested for a playoff run.   Doc has given players time off at the end of the season every year.  He may have to pull a Popovich and do it earlier than normal by giving Garnett, Rondo, and or Paul a complete day off.  Imagine if KG had 2 or 3 days of no practice and a day off.  That would be 3 to 4 days off and would give them some R&R.   

I think its time for Doc to pull a Pop, eventhough the Celts are battling for best record in the east.  They're probably not going to get it, anyway, so let's start now with the days off.  I suggest they do it within 1 or 2 games of Shaq being back.  First Rondo, then KG, then Paul in consecutive games and then again during the last 2 or 3 games.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from breaktime. Show breaktime's posts

Re: Doc will have to pull a Pop soon.....

I like Doc as a coach.  I think in some ways, he's perfect for this veteran Celtic team.  But he's a step behind Pops when it comes to managing minutes.  Pops doesn't care if the Spurs lose the occasional game (and I'm not just talking about this year, but the last 3 years as well) because he's resting Duncan or Ginobli or Parker.
    Doc's too competitive when it comes to close games in the regular season.  To some degree, it wears out a lot of his players (think RA's legs in the 4th, or RR in any quarter lately).  Maybe Doc's like this because he used to be a point guard?  Don't know, but the starters are tired and it shows.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

Pop goes the weasel?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In Response to Re: Doc will have to pull a Pop soon.....:
    [QUOTE]I like Doc as a coach.  I think in some ways, he's perfect for this veteran Celtic team.  But he's a step behind Pops when it comes to managing minutes.  Pops doesn't care if the Spurs lose the occasional game (and I'm not just talking about this year, but the last 3 years as well) because he's resting Duncan or Ginobli or Parker. Doc's too competitive when it comes to close games in the regular season.  To some degree, it wears out a lot of his players (think RA's legs in the 4th, or RR in any quarter lately).  Maybe Doc's like this because he used to be a point guard?  Don't know, but the starters are tired and it shows.
    Posted by breaktime[/QUOTE]

Agree that Doc should rest the starters more.   The big 4 could all use some rest for the remainder of the season, but this probably won't happen. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

I think Doc should sit Shaq until the playoffs, regardless of when he comes back.  This is most likely his last NBA season; let him go out in a blaze of glory as one of the greatest playoff players of all time. But rest him till then. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TeamUmbutu. Show TeamUmbutu's posts

I am not sure it works for  the Celtics.

Nobody is going to catch the Spurs for home court, so Pop can do what he wants.

The Celtics are only one game ahead of the Lakers for home court, and of course the Bulls are challenging as well.

Doc is better off dolling out minutes as specific games dictate, just as he is doing.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

I'm agreeing with both Celtsfan4life and TeamUmbutu, if that's allowed.

Nobody manages minutes as well as Pop, but Pop  has not had to deal with the injury situation that Doc has had.  He's had some injuries, but not the extant that the C's have had devastating, rotation altering injuries.

Doc must manage minutes down the stretch, but he's stuck doing it on a game by game basis. He won't have the luxury of being able to put in a blanket, "OK, I'm resting them now." policy.  Home court advantage is a possibility, and it is still worth fighting for.  

Our guys will get some rest but not the rest they need.  But it will have to do.

Sections
Shortcuts