Docs plan for Jeff Green

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Docs plan for Jeff Green

I was disappointed in last nights game vs Minn.. no, Im not talkin about blowin a 25 pt lead to rotten team playing without their best player...  Im talkin about whyJeff Green isnt absorbing more minutes than he is.

With Pierce, Ray & KG all struggling most of the game with their shot... Green was only used for 19 mins... going 4-5.

Besides Pierce, Green may be the only other player on the team that can find his own shots... and he was having a pretty good offensive game last night.

We hear all the accolades about Green.. hes so fast.. hes so strong.. he can shoot, drive and the rest. Hes young yet the BIg 3 averaged about 35 mins again.

Why isnt this guy getting more time on the court? No just to give the others some rest but because hes darn good. We're also struggling mightily with offense... and Green is the antedote.. 

Puzzling

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Re: Docs plan for Jeff Green

In Response to Re: Docs plan for Jeff Green:
    In Response to Docs plan for Jeff Green : I totally agree and KG the last couple of nights looked like he was wearing cement sneakers..........he really looked slow and had absolutely no lift.........we really need JO or Shaq just for 5-10 minutes each so KG can get some rest......he really looked gassed
    Posted by damfuno

Im not so sure Shaq returning will reduce KGs minutes... The minutes for the BIg 3 has always been a concern expressed by DOc.. Now we have Jeff GReen as a super backup for PP... yet PP keeps logging in the bigtime minutes anyway..

I cant explain

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Green played 18 minutes and still rarely gets the ball.  What was the trade for?  Our starters look as tired as I have seen them.

I don't have a lot of confidence right now. I wonder if and when Shaq does come back that he will not be able to play much.  I think this is the season and the fact that DA gambled on this will be the story that ended the Celts run in this era.

Rondo is being benched and if he does not come back the old Rondo what do we have to sustain this team?  Tell me.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

This has been asked on this board for about two weeks now and I really want one of the reporters to ask whats going on. What I think is happening is though Doc doesn't like what hes seeing with the team and likely won't shut them down this year till everything is fine in the starting unit. 

What worried me about last night was our starters were getting murdered in the second and third by the Wolves. Till they work out their mental issues I doubt Jeff sees more minutes.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

When shaq or jo come it will reduce Kg's minutes a bit, because baby will play most of his minutes at the 4.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Cole,
    What makes you think Shaq and JON are coming back to play any meaningful minutes. I get that things are very uncertain about Shaq's health. JON has to come a long way to help us win a championship.  I am not sure it is happening.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

Fiercest34, I don't trust a word that comes out of Doc's mouth.  He has said one thing yet done the other on too many occasions (reducing minutes but playing guys 35+ minutes).  His comments about injuries show he has no true idea what to expect from Shaq or JON.  We've seen it in the past and we'll continue to see the "secretive" non-disclosure nature of player injuries.

Doc knows exactly what he's doing.  He probably knows that Shaq and JON will not play a major role this year.  How could he not know?  You are the coach and you see these guys DAILY.  If Shaq was close to playing or JON was close to playing, as coach, I'd have a more concrete idea when I'd expect them and I'd comment on what I've seen to back that up.

Shaq's return went from after the All Star break to when the Celtics returned from the 4 game swing to mid-March to April 1.  Now Doc says he cannot see him playing until April 5 and "he's not even sure he'll play then".

And for JON, that too is anybody's guess.  For the life of me, the local reporters just give the Celtics too much latitude.  How is it that nobody is digging to see what's wrong with these guys and when they'll be on the court?  Let's just continue to ask Doc and get unclear responses.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dk33. Show dk33's posts

I agree, would like to have seen him out there more.  If you're not going to play him what was the point of the trade?

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

Fiercest34, you are correct.  First off, with "off days", nobody is seen "daily".  I meant figuratively.  The players are in the facility each day getting treatment and/or rehabbing so Doc is able to monitor their progress (visually or via medical/therapist staff reports).

Maybe Doc didn't visually see JON daily, but I am sure he or his medical staff are keeping "very close" tabs on each player.  Although JON was rehabbing in Chicago, you can bet the Celtics monitored his progress every step of the way just like they are monitoring Shaq's when the team is on the road and Shaq stays behind.

If Shaq cannot run, believe me, Doc knows that.  If JON is still laboring, you can bet Doc knows that too.  And I believe those factor into his less than confident reports as to when these guys will be with the team.  It's like the best Doc can do is "guess" because they aren't close to returning.

We've done this all season.  I doubt very seriously that JON will be playing Thursday against the Spurs.  But, I hope he is playing.  I want JON and Shaq on the court.  I just doubt they will.

I just don't trust what Doc says -- as with this thread -- Green getting more time.  Doc says the right things but doesn't back it up -- Jeff Green and his minutes for example.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from breaktime. Show breaktime's posts

Doc and his giving more minutes to subs.
    An ongoing saga.
    I don't get it.
    Actually, if there's one player on the Celtics who could force Rondo into a more up tempo game, it's Green.  Young, athletic, and speed to burn.
    Maybe kill two birds with one stone (and rest the starters legs in the process).
    Ah well, we've been ragging Doc about his attitude toward the bench for a long time now.  It is what it is.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Petey, I agree with your concern about why Green is not getting more minutes.  I can only guess that its two things:  1. Doc is an old time coach and it takes a lot to gain his trust and 2. Doc looks for Green to play better D before giving him more critical minutes.  Green is clearly a better offensive player than we've seen in most of our subs but he also holds the ball too much and he gets beat on D too much.  My guess is that Doc doesn't trust him.

That said, I would be giving Jeff Green more of a chance if I were coach.  I think he can really help us with easy points and less struggling.  But, Doc has proved that he knows how to gain the trust of his players and he motivates them every year in the playoffs.  So, I can only hope that Doc is smarter than the rest of us when it comes to coaching this team.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from basketbert. Show basketbert's posts

Petey, I agree with your concern about why Green is not getting more minutes.  I can only guess that its two things:  1. Doc is an old time coach and it takes a lot to gain his trust and 2. Doc looks for Green to play better D before giving him more critical minutes.  Green is clearly a better offensive player than we've seen in most of our subs but he also holds the ball too much and he gets beat on D too much.  My guess is that Doc doesn't trust him. That said, I would be giving Jeff Green more of a chance if I were coach.  I think he can really help us with easy points and less struggling.  But, Doc has proved that he knows how to gain the trust of his players and he motivates them every year in the playoffs.  So, I can only hope that Doc is smarter than the rest of us when it comes to coaching this team.
    Posted by Celtsfan4life

Yes, my guess is on #2.
    Another problem is that Green is likely to try to depart for greener (haha) pastures if Doc will remain the coach.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Team is not in sync.

Players want rest....but Doc wants the starters to come out their funk and play their way out..when they really need rest.  We have a guy in Green who essentially can give all the big 3 rest...if rotation is played effectively..so, not sure why not....its not like he isnt playing well.  When he gets in...the offense should strictly go thru him.  I cant understand why/how this team lets the clock get low and always looks for Baby to bail them out with jumpers....we all know he can shoot when he is on, but he not even close to the offensive player Green is...I would rather him get a bunch of shots to get his game going....Baby ! let me just say, I'm growing tired of you throwing yourself at the basket and yelling "Ayee!!" in hopes of getting a foul....I know you learned that from Peirce, but he didnt teach u how how to drive effectively to the hoop...its getting old...Man up and start finishing in the paint....get from top of the key and get down in the paint and give us offensive boards like you used too....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

Cole, What makes you think Shaq and JON are coming back to play any meaningful minutes. I get that things are very uncertain about Shaq's health. JON has to come a long way to help us win a championship.  I am not sure it is happening.
    Posted by concord27

I agree with you about Shaq and Jon.  They both need to return soon to be of any help during the playoffs.  Jon hasn't played for almost the entire season and needs to get back into basketball shape.  Shaq played more than Jon, but has been out for a long-time.  He also has to play at least a few games before the playoffs to get his timing back. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TeamUmbutu. Show TeamUmbutu's posts

I am not sure what the biggest problem is regarding the team. I do see a number of issues. Maybe it is several things, or maybe it is just the fact that our starting point guard is having problems.

While the number of points allowed per game is OK for the Cs, their ability to stop scoring in crunch time seems to have declined in most games.

Green is athletic and he can score, but he has not fit in well with the offensive and defensive schemes as quickly as I would expect. He becomes a black hole on offense frequently, and his defense is just adequate most of the time.

Rondo seems to need an attitude transplant. Maybe that was the reason he did not play last night instead of the finger thing.

For much of the games involved, other teams pack the paint and make the Celtics a jump shooting team. In addition, much of the time, the Celtics let the other teams get away with it.

While some of these things may disappear in the play-offs when focus is easier, and the big men are back, the loss of home court advantage is a concern, for Doc, and everyone else. It is one thing going into the play-offs with a dominant defense, that everyone is concerned about, and one that has shown cracks in the plaster. For a "balanced team", the Celtics need Shaq and Rondo firing on all cylinders to be effective in the play-offs. Rondo has to drive the lane and dish, and Shaq is needed for the low post.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Petey,
    I think your comments on Shaq and JON are really accurate.

I don't believe Shaq is coming back and have felt so the last two weeks.  It is clear now he has a very serious achilles injury and the Celtics have been trying to manage the news so that it gets out at the end of the season rather than now.

It will not lighten the heat that Ainge will get but the playoffs will start and others issues will surface to dilute this realization.  I don't know when Doc and DA knew Shaq could not come back but I think they have conspired to protect themselves in case a miracle does not happen

JON may come back but will be so limited it will mean nothing.  The real news is how DA destroyed the Celtics chances this year.  I believe when Doc signed off on this trade he realized that he and Ainge would take the fall for it.

This trade was made under a silly notion Shaq could be relied on.  His recent history with Miami, the Suns and Cleveland show what counting on the big guy can result in.  You watch Doc on the bench these last games and you see a man looking really troubled by what he sees and it is the reality that Shaq was not the guy to listen to. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

The trade brought us a very good player off the bench to spell Ray n' Paul.  Where you gonna get that w/out trading a decent peice?  The only other guy traded that got minutes was Nate, and we have found out his knee was worst than we thought and probably why he wasnt playing well.  We would have still had no center for 3 weeks...regardless of the trade, and we got a decent center and very good swingman, for a backup pg who was done for the year and a hobbled center who was gone after the year....like it or not..if we dont make that trade..you have a more worn down Ray and Pierce and wouldnt have a chance anyway..as those are the 2 most potent weapons we have...you have to let them get some rest..only other tradable player we had was Baby....So what would you have done?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from truth-torpedo34. Show truth-torpedo34's posts

Watching the game last night, I found myself in the "sky is falling" mode. I've watched every game this season, and the past two games have been the only time where I've really questioned everyone and their motives. I just need one of the o'neals on the court to restore a little peace of mind because, as old as they are, they are gigantic and can foul very hard. Hopefully rondo returns with a clear mind and can be more explosive on court as well, which I think has been what really caused this slump.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Laker-Nation32. Show Laker-Nation32's posts

Petey Last year I had my doubts about Doc's coaching ability. But after what he did in the playoffs last year, there's no doubt in my mind Doc is saving the best for last.
    Posted by Fiercest34

That's right, Doc is saving his best....Rondo is staying late in games to ready himself for shooting in the playoffs....Lakers will win a maximum of 52 games...boston should win 65....anymore fairy tales you can think of?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Concord, you make some sense with many statements, but this one: 

" I don't know when Doc and DA knew Shaq could not come back but I think they have conspired to protect themselves in case a miracle does not happen"

is just out there too far.  Danny and Doc have money, fame, and lives outside of basketball.  I see no motivation nor history of performance other than caring for the Celtics more than we all do.  The reason Doc has that look on his face is that he's frustrated and hates to lose.  I like that in him.  But, I don't think he and Danny did anything to 'protect themselves".  Danny did what he thought was right (and it may be wrong, but you have no reason to question his integrity/intensions). 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tayshawn. Show Tayshawn's posts

Concord, you make some sense with many statements, but this one:  " I don't know when Doc and DA knew Shaq could not come back but I think they have conspired to protect themselves in case a miracle does not happen" is just out there too far.  Danny and Doc have money, fame, and lives outside of basketball.  I see no motivation nor history of performance other than caring for the Celtics more than we all do.  The reason Doc has that look on his face is that he's frustrated and hates to lose.  I like that in him.  But, I don't think he and Danny did anything to 'protect themselves".  Danny did what he thought was right (and it may be wrong, but you have no reason to question his integrity/intensions). 
    Posted by Celtsfan4life

Anyone associated with Tommy Heinsohn has a reason to have their integrity/intensions questioned.

Sections
Shortcuts