Doc's Prowess Questioned as GM

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrandBreaker8. Show BrandBreaker8's posts

Doc's Prowess Questioned as GM

I'm not a big fan of B/R but finally someone has pointed out Doc's poor decision making and the lack of experience supporting him when it comes to personnel decisions and working with the new CBA cap rules.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2179991-with-steve-ballmer-in-place-clips-need-doc-rivers-to-focus-on-job-he-does-best?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=share&utm_campaign=web-des-art-top-202" rel="nofollow">http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2179991-with-steve-ballmer-in-place-clips-need-doc-rivers-to-focus-on-job-he-does-best?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=share&utm_campaign=web-des-art-top-202

Look no further than Rivers needing to forfeit a first-round pick to move swingman Jared Dudley to Milwaukee, the same Dudley he acquired just a year ago along with swingman J.J. Redick for the hefty price of highly prized point guard Eric Bledsoe. Moving Dudley became necessary because Rivers also handed Matt Barnes—yet another swingman—the first multiyear contract of his career last summer, assuring someone would be unhappy.

[Editorial Comment: And now he's just waived/stretched Delfino and Raduljica is next so he'll have room under the hard cap to pursue CDR and/or Udoh or possibly Ray Allen with the $4-4.5MM in new cap space created.]

For whatever reason, Rivers has received a full pass on moves that have made the Clippers marginally better yet significantly more expensive. You don't have to make more than a call or two to find someone in the league who, as one GM said, views Rivers' moves with Dudley as a "head scratcher."

"If [former Minnesota GM] David Kahn made those deals, they'd have been burning crosses on his lawn," said another NBA executive.

Several GMs said they would've put the brakes on all that for the sake of the long-term health of the team. One said he might have even traded Jamal Crawford in order to force Rivers to play first-round pick Reggie Bullock, who was a year-long afterthought (43 appearances, 395 minutes). In a sense, Rivers has spent two first-round picks to assure a few more victories last season, victories that still weren't enough to get out of the second round.

[Editorial Comment: No surprise there ... no way Doc would let some rookie get playing time ahead of a vet let alone impact his win-loss record.]

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

Re: Doc's Prowess Questioned as GM

Could have stretched Dudley 8M over 5 years and kept their #1 instead of stretching 4M over 3 years?  I guess this saves a few hundred Ks to be used to sign a player like Ray Allen.  It goes back to late #1 is no use to him because that is another rookie he has to develop.  I think being coach and GM at the same time is often not the best thing to have.  Let's see what kind of owner is Balmer in the future.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

I loved Doc when he was here, but I do thank God DA made the draft picks.

2013 - After trading for Redick and Dudley, and signing Jamal Crawford, Doc selects Reggie Bullock, who he proceeds to not play all year...........

2014 - Knowing that he now doesn't like Dudley, and having his only SF's being Barnes and Turkoglu, he drafts  TJ Wilcox, another SG with both Kyle Anderson and Clenanthony Early on the board.

Now this trade for basically no one........................

We have a bit of swap land in FL known as Gerald Wallace, maybe Doc will bite...................

"Climb on my back, boys, and I'll take you home." - Cedric Maxwell

"You show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." - Red Auerbach

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." - Hedley Lamarr

If no Bynum injury, no Gasol trade - last word!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

Doc didn't play a rookie?  I'm shocked!!

My prediction:

The Clips will languish as perennial 4th place finishers in the West under Doc's mis-management, then key players will defect, the clips will return to the cellar and Doc Rivers will be known as the most over-rated grossly over paid coach in NBA history.  He Perkins and Rondo will then start a financial investment company for morons. 

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

More haters.   Sometimes I wonder if Celtics fans like anyone from the teams who delivered for them over the last great run.   From Doc to Rondo to Green to Ray to Perk to Wallace to Bradley and on and on, I always wonder why we spend so much time hating on people who actually delivered us success!

Danny Ainge drafts 50/50 at best.  He stacks the team with Rondo, Smart, Bradley, etc and passes on Randle so the Lakers can get him.  Why?  We don't know because we don't know the GM's thinking.   Same for Doc and 10 other GM's thinking - we just don't know their plan.   Not saying Doc is a great drafter or terrible......just that Danny and all other GM's make and execute plans that don't work.  Doc is neither great nor horrible because Dudley is no longer in favor, just like Danny with the MANY riverboat gambler moves he made.   How many of you wanted Perk traded and now hate Jeff Green eventhough he's our leading scorer and a middle of the road contract?   

Wonder why so many players and owners and commentators have so much respect for the man while this board just wants to bash him?   Let's judge him by his record when it's all over.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

Are you an Ainge hater?  Please stop and wait until it is all over before criticizing Ainge again.  Either that or let people say whatever they want, and feel free to debate the points they make instead of calling them haters.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from FierceBrand. Show FierceBrand's posts

In response to Celtsfan4life's comment:

More haters.   Sometimes I wonder if Celtics fans like anyone from the teams who delivered for them over the last great run.   From Doc to Rondo to Green to Ray to Perk to Wallace to Bradley and on and on, I always wonder why we spend so much time hating on people who actually delivered us success!

Danny Ainge drafts 50/50 at best.  He stacks the team with Rondo, Smart, Bradley, etc and passes on Randle so the Lakers can get him.  Why?  We don't know because we don't know the GM's thinking.   Same for Doc and 10 other GM's thinking - we just don't know their plan.   Not saying Doc is a great drafter or terrible......just that Danny and all other GM's make and execute plans that don't work.  Doc is neither great nor horrible because Dudley is no longer in favor, just like Danny with the MANY riverboat gambler moves he made.   How many of you wanted Perk traded and now hate Jeff Green eventhough he's our leading scorer and a middle of the road contract?   

Wonder why so many players and owners and commentators have so much respect for the man while this board just wants to bash him?   Let's judge him by his record when it's all over.

Agree!

Doc just broke the record for most Clipper wins in a season last season.

Some of the people here are simply haters.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from FierceBrand. Show FierceBrand's posts

In response to scubber's comment:

Are you an Ainge hater?  Please stop and wait until it is all over before criticizing Ainge again.  Either that or let people say whatever they want, and feel free to debate the points they make instead of calling them haters.

I've been here a long time and it's true that some of the posters hate Doc.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from FierceBrand. Show FierceBrand's posts

It's "hate" if you keep saying Doc is just an average coach.

I prefer to believe what the NBA people think about Doc.

No way Doc would have gotten a 10m per year contract extension from the Clips if Doc is just an average coach.

An example of an average coach is Larry Drew.

No team in the NBA would give Larry Drew a 10m per year head coaching contract.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from FierceBrand. Show FierceBrand's posts

Flashback to 2011, trade deadline.

Doc and the Big 3 were shocked when Ainge traded Perk for Jeff Green.

Celts were #1 in the east at the time of the trade.

After the Celts got Jeff Green, the Celts just played .500 ball until the end of the regular season and the Celts went from #1 to #3.

That resulted in Miami having homecourt advantage over the Celts in the 2nd round of the playoffs.

Hindsight tells us that Doc was right and Ainge was wrong about the Perk trade.

Doc also said Ainge could have done that trade after the season was over.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

I don't deny that I hate doc, and mostly because the way he left the Celtics, the way he lied on the whole episode.  I feel he just used the Celtics to bolster his stature and when it didn't suit him anymore, he had no problem trying to discard the Celtics while wanting the credit for it at the same time.

But that is besides the pont.  The moves he made to get Dudley, then gave him sizable contract, then traded a first round pick to get rid of him to stretch the players he got in return, those are terrible moves to me.  I am criticizing that, if you don't agree, let's debate that and don't call me a hater.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from FierceBrand. Show FierceBrand's posts

I don't deny that I hate doc, and mostly because the way he left the Celtics, the way he lied on the whole episode.  I feel he just used the Celtics to bolster his stature and when it didn't suit him anymore, he had no problem trying to discard the Celtics while wanting the credit for it at the same time.

But that is besides the pont.  The moves he made to get Dudley, then gave him sizable contract, then traded a first round pick to get rid of him to stretch the players he got in return, those are terrible moves to me.  I am criticizing that, if you don't agree, let's debate that and don't call me a hater.

We can't debate that because we won't know until we see what happens this coming season.

Maybe it will be a case of addition by subtraction.

Regarding the 1st round pick, the Clips will be picking close to #30 for years to come.

So it's not really a big deal if the Clips don't have a 1st rounder.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrandBreaker8. Show BrandBreaker8's posts

I personally think we won despite Doc. If you think Doc was so instrumental in winning with all the talent he had then how come he only managed one championship?

We all know Doc favored veterans over the newbies ... to win or pad his stats as some say Rondo does with assists? All I know is that in meaningless regular season games, when the newbies could have gotten valuable experience while keeping our vets fresh and ready for the playoffs, Doc preferred to run his vets into the ground for what ... easier wins or to avoid having to coach and teach the yutes? 

Sure someone will point out that he played Rondo, Big Baby and others but in most of those cases he had to for lack of another player due to injuries, foul trouble or a lack of faith in the vet left riding the pine. I'll give Doc his props for last minute play calling out of time-outs but other than that he's highly over-rated in my opinion.

And the basis of the post wasn't about his coaching abilities but his recklessness as a GM. I'm not crying for Dudley but the point is Danny (and most GM's) don't overpay to get a Dudley (Bledsoe) and then overpay (1st rd pick) to get rid of him for cap space to sign the latest FA vet available. Doc is desperate to build a veteran bench to win now (without regard to the future of that franchise, cause even with an extended contract he can opt out whenever he likes) and grasping at straws to find players that compliment each other and have chemistry. This is tough for a coach/gm whose comfort level relies on vets only and is adverse to bringing along new players, even his own.

And when it comes to this board criticizing Doc while peers have praise for him, the same can be said for Rondo. Players, coaches and GM's all speak highly of him yet this board ignores the praise heaped upon him by some of the NBA's very best. The haters speak out more frequent and the loudest yet that doesn't make them the majority, so don't make more out of it than meets the eye.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from FierceBrand. Show FierceBrand's posts

This thread isn't supposed to be here in the first place!

Doc is already gone, he's not a Celtic anymore.

So this thread should be in a Clipper forum.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from FierceBrand. Show FierceBrand's posts

Regarding Rondo comparison to Doc, Doc is now the highest paid NBA coach.

Rondo has yet to get a max contract.

Enough said.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

In response to FierceBrand's comment:

We can't debate that because we won't know until we see what happens this coming season.

Maybe it will be a case of addition by subtraction.

Regarding the 1st round pick, the Clips will be picking close to #30 for years to come.

So it's not really a big deal if the Clips don't have a 1st rounder.

Yes we can.  If he didn't make the mistake to get Dudley and gave him the contract, he would still have the #1draft pick and more money to sign a free agent.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from FierceBrand. Show FierceBrand's posts

Yes we can.  If he didn't make the mistake to get Dudley and gave him the contract, he would still have the #1draft pick and more money to sign a free agent.

Doesn't matter.

The mistake to get Dudley doesn't affect the Celtics.

So I'm not going to debate with you about Doc and Dudley.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

It is open public forum, do whatever you want.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

Good Lord, folks.....what is going on here??

Doc Rivers is a COACH....and I've always liked and respected him as a COACH.  I feel he is the second best coach in the league after Pop.  I knew he'd leave, and I don't blame him.

Know who else I thought was a great COACH?  Some guy names Pitino.  It's just so difficult to wear more than one hat these days.  Pitino couldn't do it (still a great coach, btw), and Doc can't, either.  I mean, this is not the Patriots.........oh, wait, even Bill had Scott Pioli.

Criticizing his last two draft picks has nothing to do with his coaching ability, and I know for a fact that Clippers fans are very happy with the job he's done!

And, for about the 19th time (and Fierce should know better) the Perkins trade WAS NOT straight up for Jeff Green..........it also included Nenad Krstic, who probably would have re-signed if not for the lockout!

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." - Hedley Lamarr

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrandBreaker8. Show BrandBreaker8's posts

A guy that posted more non-Celtic threads than anyone here all of a sudden wants to make an issue over whether ex-Celtic Doc discussion is relevant to this board and won't discuss Doc-Dudley.  Hahaha, no surprise here as he proves himself to be Mr. Hypocrite yet again!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

In response to hedleylamarr's comment:

Good Lord, folks.....what is going on here??

Doc Rivers is a COACH....and I've always liked and respected him as a COACH.  I feel he is the second best coach in the league after Pop.  I knew he'd leave, and I don't blame him.

Know who else I thought was a great COACH?  Some guy names Pitino.  It's just so difficult to wear more than one hat these days.  Pitino couldn't do it (still a great coach, btw), and Doc can't, either.  I mean, this is not the Patriots.........oh, wait, even Bill had Scott Pioli.

Criticizing his last two draft picks has nothing to do with his coaching ability, and I know for a fact that Clippers fans are very happy with the job he's done!

And, for about the 19th time (and Fierce should know better) the Perkins trade WAS NOT straight up for Jeff Green..........it also included Nenad Krstic, who probably would have re-signed if not for the lockout!

Very well said.  All good points.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

And Pitino is a good reference.  I believe that if we had a separate GM with power to make personnel decision that was not insurvant to a coach.  We most likely would not have had Billups and Joe Johnson trades.  So far it is not a good start for Doc the GM.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

In response to Eldunker's comment:

Doc didn't play a rookie?  I'm shocked!!

My prediction:

The Clips will languish as perennial 4th place finishers in the West under Doc's mis-management, then key players will defect, the clips will return to the cellar and Doc Rivers will be known as the most over-rated grossly over paid coach in NBA history.  He Perkins and Rondo will then start a financial investment company for morons. 

when it's all said and done, doc will make elgin baylor look like a stellar GM. 

hell, doc can't even coach the game of basketball, WHO would then conclude that the can then RUN the talent side of a franchise?

if you doubt my assessment of doc and a crock of CRAPPE as coach, take a looky-listen-loo to his FINEST HOUR- game 7, we're flat, but still close.  doc has PLENTY of strategy for the boys- NO single syllable overly-trite slogans from straight out of the repertoire of 7th grade b-ball coaches across the land.

how embarrassing that some people believe this idiot is "the best coach in the NBA"....

http://youtu.be/ohp-JX2BxCg?t=1h25m32s

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

actually exactly zero words that were NOT one syllable in that doc's "mic'd" huddle. 

as a team ages it needs to get smarter.  doc's not the man.  as a team (the clips!!) struggles to tap unrealized potential in players (GRIFFIN!!!, JORDAN!!!!) you need actual coaching, not a see 'n' say pull cord toy that only has 5 different phrases

http://www.sears.com/basic-fun-fisher-price-classics-see-n-say/p-SPM8456836611?hlSellerId=32762&sid=IDx20110310x00001i&kpid=SPM8456836611&kispla=SPM8456836611&kpid=SPM8456836611&mktRedirect=y

Sections
Shortcuts