Does anybody miss Tony Allen? I think Von Wafer has been 10x better!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

Does anybody miss Tony Allen? I think Von Wafer has been 10x better!

Not many turnovers by Von. Very solid defense and offensive repertoire. Not as big of a trash talker either.

He just needs to run harder in transition...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from gtown07. Show gtown07's posts

Re: Does anybody miss Tony Allen? I think Von Wafer has been 10x better!

I don't think Von has shown yet that he is better than Tony but I have seen flashes that were outstanding. But then again we saw flashes from Tony that were spectacular too. Sometimes I think the surperior athletes...like Nate...forget that they can do more by thinking it through than by trying to overpower their opponent athletically.

A more interesting question might me ...Does Tony Allen miss not playing for the Celtics?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

From what I saw from Von Wafer so far, I think he has no in-between game. It's either Wafer shoots a 3 or drives to the basket. He doesn't take mid-range shots. Once Delonte comes back I think Wafer will be stuck on the bench again.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneNation. Show OneNation's posts

I really like Wafer. He gets to the well but he hasn't learned to finish yet. Most guys don't have a mid range game (lost art) so it would be nice for him to learn it if possible. I want to give him some more time since I like his game. I think it is correct to say that West probably will be putting him on the bench.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from cpjohn1. Show cpjohn1's posts

I miss Tony.  I saw that although we beat the Lakers, Kobe got anything he wanted and it was easy.  Tony would make him work much harder.  I really didn't like the way Marquis defended him at all.  If we make it to the Finals and meet the Lakers, we are going to need someone to come off the bench and defend Kobe and  I'm not sure we have anyone that can do that now that Tony is gone.  Pierce and/or Ray would foul out if they had to defend him the whole game, especially if they have to do it for seven games.

Tony was a Laker killer.  Always plays well against the Lakers.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

In Response to Re: Does anybody miss Tony Allen? I think Von Wafer has been 10x better!:
    [QUOTE]I really like Wafer. He gets to the well but he hasn't learned to finish yet. Most guys don't have a mid range game (lost art) so it would be nice for him to learn it if possible. I want to give him some more time since I like his game. I think it is correct to say that West probably will be putting him on the bench.
    Posted by OneNation[/QUOTE]

The good news is Wafer will continue to play for 3 more weeks. 

What I like about Wafer is he's very athletic, great jumping ability and moves fast with or without the ball.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

In Response to Re: Does anybody miss Tony Allen? I think Von Wafer has been 10x better!:
    [QUOTE]I miss Tony.  I saw that although we beat the Lakers, Kobe got anything he wanted and it was easy.  Tony would make him work much harder.  I really didn't like the way Marquis defended him at all.  If we make it to the Finals and meet the Lakers, we are going to need someone to come off the bench and defend Kobe and  I'm not sure we have anyone that can do that now that Tony is gone.  Pierce and/or Ray would foul out if they had to defend him the whole game, especially if they have to do it for seven games. Tony was a Laker killer.  Always plays well against the Lakers.
    Posted by cpjohn1[/QUOTE]

Nobody can stop Kobe. The Celtics can live with Kobe scoring a lot of points as long as Gasol and the other Laker players are kept in check.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

Tony is better than Von Wafer. He would be far more valuable then Von against the Heat with Wade or Kobe. I do think Delonte is as good or better than both of them. Hopefully we will get to see it. Nate really needs to start hitting some shots :(

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from zeitgeist49. Show zeitgeist49's posts

I  think  Doc  should  give  Von  more  minutes  and  come  off  the  bench  before  Daniels.  In  the  Laker  game, there  was  a  sequence  when  Daniels  came  in.  He  proceeded  to  turn  the  ball  over, miss  two  free  throws  and  then  fall  down  twice  trying  to  cover  Kome.  I  always  thought  Daniels  plays  soft  and  isn't  a  Celtics  type  of  player.  I  think  that  Von  Wafer  can  continue  to  develop  his  defense  and  play  defense  atleast  as  well  as  Daniels.  And  Von  can  create  his  own  shots.  Daniels  is  horrible  offensively  and  only  scores  when  he  cuts  for  the  basket  and  on  occassion  can  post  up.  It's  true  that  West  will  be  taking  minutes  away  from  both.  But  I  think  Wafer  deserves  to  come  off  the  bench  before  Daniels.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

[QUOTE]Tony is better than Von Wafer. He would be far more valuable then Von against the Heat with Wade or Kobe. I do think Delonte is as good or better than both of them. Hopefully we will get to see it. Nate really needs to start hitting some shots :(
    Posted by tompenny[/QUOTE]

That's why Tony Allen is a 3m per year guy and Wafer is only a vet's minimum player.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from existentialparquet. Show existentialparquet's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Does anybody miss Tony Allen? I think Von Wafer has been 10x better! : That's why Tony Allen is a 3m per year guy and Wafer is only a vet's minimum player.
    Posted by P34[/QUOTE]
     True, but the comparison is still valid. I think that Tony should have re-signed. I think there is near consensus that TA should have signed with the C's.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

Tony is a better stopper for sure, but with Marquis healthy tony would be redundant.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from maryngary. Show maryngary's posts

Not me, my ulcers have improved.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]I miss Tony.  I saw that although we beat the Lakers, Kobe got anything he wanted and it was easy.  Tony would make him work much harder.  I really didn't like the way Marquis defended him at all.  If we make it to the Finals and meet the Lakers, we are going to need someone to come off the bench and defend Kobe and  I'm not sure we have anyone that can do that now that Tony is gone.  Pierce and/or Ray would foul out if they had to defend him the whole game, especially if they have to do it for seven games. Tony was a Laker killer.  Always plays well against the Lakers.
    Posted by cpjohn1[/QUOTE]

I agree with you about Tony Allen playing good defense.  We definitely don't have someone on the current team that can defend as well as Tony Allen.  Although, Posey was an even better defender than Tony and a much better offensive player. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichBelgium. Show MichBelgium's posts

Wafer doesn't get far enough minutes but that's because the starting lineup isn't giving them enough points so they could go to him...  But last games he hardly played and in hisfew minutes against the kings he dissapointed me... 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

I prefer Tony to both Marquis and Wafer. Tony is by far a better defender and is able to effectively defend players bigger than he is. Tony is a poor jump shooter, but he is very good offensively in the open court.
       I'm hoping Danny makes a trade before the deadline for a better backup small forward. I think we'll need one when the playoffs start.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from GAShamrock60. Show GAShamrock60's posts

Tony Allen is overated as a defender. No way he can cover Lebron or Kobe. He was such a liability and turnover machine on Offense. I would take Daniels or Von Wafer over him. I wish him well but I'm glad he's with Memphis getting little playing time unless some one is injury. West will be an important cog once he get's back.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneNation. Show OneNation's posts

[QUOTE]Wafer doesn't get far enough minutes but that's because the starting lineup isn't giving them enough points so they could go to him...  But last games he hardly played and in hisfew minutes against the kings he dissapointed me... 
    Posted by MichBelgium[/QUOTE]
    True... but the key is "few Minutes"....I thought he got to the basket but did not get any calls. He just needs to put himself in a better posistion to finish. I think he will solve that, if he gets more minutes.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Tony brought great hustle plays with atheltic put backs and lay ups to go a long with his Defense; however, I see the Celtics overall play to look more efficient these days...

If anything I guess I wish Posey was stlil here.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"I'm hoping Danny makes a trade before the deadline for a better backup small forward. I think we'll need one when the playoffs start"

Ainge is NOT making any moves. Glad I could help you out there. 

"Nate really needs to start hitting some shots" 

You do realize that Nate has not been playing the role he was envisioned in due to West being out right? I think he'll be ok once he can play off guard primarily with the second unit. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from proftom. Show proftom's posts

Von surprises me. I'd realize his game had this much potential. In other words I see him getting better and deserving more playing time.    

Sections
Shortcuts