Does Anyone Knows Who Measures The "Heights" Of NBA Players

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChiefEddie1028. Show ChiefEddie1028's posts

Does Anyone Knows Who Measures The "Heights" Of NBA Players

I have been trying to ask this question for a long time.

"Does anyone knows who measures the heights of all NBA players?"

I don't know if anyone is opportune to see as many NBA players as possible, but personally, I work at a hotel in Houston where the NBA players stay both during the season and off season, so I am opportune to see most of them.

Almost all of them are not actually the listed "heights" we hear on TV. Most players are way shorter than their listed heights, mostly the guards and forwards.

For example, I am 5'8", and on one occasion,I walked side-by-side with Aaron Brooks who is listed at 6'1", and he is barely taller than me.

So the question remains, "Who measures the heights of NBA players?"

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ojmega. Show ojmega's posts

Re: Does Anyone Knows Who Measures The "Heights" Of NBA Players

i think the players wish on their own height

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChiefEddie1028. Show ChiefEddie1028's posts

In Response to Re: Does Anyone Knows Who Measures The "Heights" Of NBA Players:
    i think the players wish on their own height
    Posted by ojmega

Are You Serious?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PierceIsTheTruth. Show PierceIsTheTruth's posts

garnet is 6'10 or 6'11 but he is clearly taller then perkins. and baby is 6'9 but i saw him stand next to pierce and he is as tall if not shorter then him....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

I don't know, but i hate it when someone says, they're 6' 3" in shoes!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

the TEAMS are the ones who come up with the height and weight information.  jj barea is about 5-9 but listed as 6'.  garnett is 7 or 7-1, listed as 6-11.  barkley was 6-7 but was 6-4 and the weight was always a lie. 

glen davis listed at 6-9 and 295 is more like 6-7 1/2 at the tallest and 310-320

dajuan blair isn't a millimeter over 6-5 but he's magically 6-8 or 9.

bill walton was always 6-11 but was in reality 7-1

the bigger you are, the lie is smaller height.

the smaller you are, they lie bigger. 

pretty easy system to figure out.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChiefEddie1028. Show ChiefEddie1028's posts

garnet is 6'10 or 6'11 but he is clearly taller then perkins. and baby is 6'9 but i saw him stand next to pierce and he is as tall if not shorter then him....
    Posted by PierceIsTheTruth

You are right, and that is why I asked the question.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChiefEddie1028. Show ChiefEddie1028's posts

the TEAMS are the ones who come up with the height and weight information.  jj barea is about 5-9 but listed as 6'.  garnett is 7 or 7-1, listed as 6-11.  barkley was 6-7 but was 6-4 and the weight was always a lie.  glen davis listed at 6-9 and 295 is more like 6-7 1/2 at the tallest and 310-320 dajuan blair isn't a millimeter over 6-5 but he's magically 6-8 or 9. bill walton was always 6-11 but was in reality 7-1 the bigger you are, the lie is smaller height. the smaller you are, they lie bigger.  pretty easy system to figure out.
    Posted by aciemvp

Again, I say you are right, but why the discrepancy? As a professional entity, why not have a direct, legal, and professional process in measuring Heights and Weights just like we have in boxing.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jump-ball-overtime. Show Jump-ball-overtime's posts

KG is 7' 1". Like Bill Walton he does not want to be known as seven footer.

When Kevin McHale was asked how tall his star player was, he smiled and said 6'13" tall. This was recently confirmed by Bill Walker in an interview during the Knicks series.

Baby on the other hand is no where near as tall as he claims.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrJohnnyMost. Show MrJohnnyMost's posts

Check the draft camp specs. Money is at stake, so they actually measure everything. They're the most accurate and give you the standing reach which is really more important. A 6'10" like Perk who could touch the rim is really bigger than a 7 footer who can't. Wingspans on guys like Pierce and Rondo allow them to play much bigger.

Then the team or player can be what ever he wants. But the guys who write the checks know.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from genaro008. Show genaro008's posts

It starts in College. The NBA takes the listed messurements and uses them in thier guides. When I was in school I am 6'5 1/2 I was listed as 6'7 and AAU had me at 6'8  If you go to college game pragrams and look at what players are lsited then look at NBA programs and they are the same. Barkley was listed as 6'6 for years and he always said he was 6'4 1/2

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from genaro008. Show genaro008's posts

Rondo has the largest hands of anyone who has ever played for the Celtics.
    Posted by Kirk6

When I was at 5 star basketball camp Dr J was there often. He has the bigest hands I ever seen.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

In Response to Re: Does Anyone Knows Who Measures The "Heights" Of NBA Players : Again, I say you are right, but why the discrepancy? As a professional entity, why not have a direct, legal, and professional process in measuring Heights and Weights just like we have in boxing.
    Posted by ChiefEddie1028

i think it's the "perception is reality" garbage.  if you put davis up at 6-6 1/2 or 6-7 then he'd be made fun of even more, not that he deserves to be made fun of, it's just still okay to hate on someone for "fat" even though racial and religious bigotry has long been conquered.  and what's worse, davis isnt' fat any more.

with garnett and walton, i think they just don't "want to be" over 7 feet or even 7 feet.  there is a stigma that 7 footers are freaks in some circles.  perception is reality.

with jj barea, who wants to believe a 5-9 guy can do jack squat in the league?  i think they even lied about calvin murphy's height too- wasn't he 5.7 and not 5-9? 

conversely, earl boykins is 5-4, muggsy bogues was 5-3.

i really honestly believe it is a mixture of franchise's desires and player personal desires to be listed the way they are listed vs. whatever happens to be the truth.

barkley, a hall of fame talent, they say he was 6-4, listed as 6-7 or 8.  and his weight was always a lie even in the earliest days.

the list goes on and on.  lies, lies, white lies and grand lies.

pretty much like the rest of the world!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

McHale was listed at like 6-11, but use to refer to himself as 6-9 "in socks."

Basically the team just puts whatever they want on the program.

When I watched the C's and the thunder, KG was clearly the tallest.  Probably right at 7ft.  Next tallest was sheed and ibaka probably 6-11.  The third was durant and that dude is every bit of 6-10 if he would stand up straight.

Baby is about the same height as pierce. Joe smith looked small, like 6-8.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

In Response to Re: Does Anyone Knows Who Measures The "Heights" Of NBA Players : When I was at 5 star basketball camp Dr J was there often. He has the bigest hands I ever seen.
    Posted by genaro008

Well you know what they say about big hands, right?  Big gloves.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

In Response to Does Anyone Knows Who Measures The "Heights" Of NBA Players:
    I have been trying to ask this question for a long time. "Does anyone knows who measures the heights of all NBA players?" I don't know if anyone is opportune to see as many NBA players as possible, but personally, I work at a hotel in Houston where the NBA players stay both during the season and off season, so I am opportune to see most of them. Almost all of them are not actually the listed "heights" we hear on TV. Most players are way shorter than their listed heights, mostly the guards and forwards. For example, I am 5'8", and on one occasion,I walked side-by-side with Aaron Brooks who is listed at 6'1", and he is barely taller than me. So the question remains, "Who measures the heights of NBA players?"
    Posted by ChiefEddie1028

I have often wondered the same thing.  I am 6 feet 2 inches.  I met Tony Allen at the airport, he and I were on the same flight.  He is no more than 6 4 or 6 5, not sure how they list him.  I meet Ryan Gomes at the airport and he did seem much taller than Tony Allen but I think they list Gomes at 6 7 or 6 8.  I once saw Walker McCarty pretty close up and they used to say he is 6 11 but he looked about 6 6 or 6 7.  I saw 'nique at Macys the year he was playing in Boston and I was probably 10 feet away from him my guess is he is about 6 5 but they used to list him at 6 8 I think.

Maybe it is the camera angles but the other night Jeff Green was standing next to Baby and it looked like he was 3 inches taller than Baby.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

Green is pretty tall.  Taller than baby for sure.  Not as tall as durant for sure.  Maybe halfway between durant and pierce.  Maybe 6-8 but he seems slim in person.  He looks like a 2 guard more than a 3 when you see him on the court.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Tony Allen is six feet four. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

In Response to Does Anyone Knows Who Measures The "Heights" Of NBA Players:
    I have been trying to ask this question for a long time. "Does anyone knows who measures the heights of all NBA players?" I don't know if anyone is opportune to see as many NBA players as possible, but personally, I work at a hotel in Houston where the NBA players stay both during the season and off season, so I am opportune to see most of them. Almost all of them are not actually the listed "heights" we hear on TV. Most players are way shorter than their listed heights, mostly the guards and forwards. For example, I am 5'8", and on one occasion,I walked side-by-side with Aaron Brooks who is listed at 6'1", and he is barely taller than me. So the question remains, "Who measures the heights of NBA players?"
    Posted by ChiefEddie1028

The same person who measures NFL players' "weights"

Don't believe any of it

Using two of my high school football teammates as benchmarks, Glen Davis is AT LEAST 350 pounds: he's 5-9 inches taller and more muscular than either of them, and they were 300-320 pounds.  Shaq is AT LEAST 400 pounds, for the same reasons.  This is not an insult - I'm simply remarking on the understatement of their weight relative to the athletic machines they are.

I used to list myself at 6-1.  I'm 5' 10 3/4" and only achieved that height with the addition of cleats and a helmet.  I also understated my weight by 10-15 pounds.

Some of it is gamesmanship to deceive other teams

Some of it is shyness about the number: normal people can't appreciate that Shaq and Glen Davis are 350-450 pounds of mostly muscle muscle and don't understand that even an out-of-shape Shaq or Davis still have much lower body fat percentages than most average fans.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

I wouldn't use television as a guide to guessing players actual heights. on TV you are seing three dimensions in two. So just by standing a foot in front or a foot behind someone else you can look taller or shorter. Not saying players don't fib about their heights, just saying tv is the wrong place to figure it out. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from wfdog. Show wfdog's posts

And there's no way Nenad Krstic is a true 7 footer!
    www.srbijanet.rs/images/stories/sport/Nenad-Krstic.jpg" alt="" />

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

i think that all pro sports and pro entertainment (wwe and others) handle the "measuring" to make various points of emphasis.

when i played semi pro football in massachusetts my team listed me at 6'6" in their program every year when i have never been any taller than 6'2".

hulk hogan used to be described at 6'9' (or even taller?) and now in his commercials with troy aikman the hulkster is shorter than troy who was listed at 6'4" in his playing days.  i met rick flair one day in a hotel lobby and he was maybe 5'9 but they never said that he was that short.

but, does it really matter if the player/entertainer is getting the job done?  if the celtics can win banner #18, i could care less if glen davis is 5'8" and 400 pounds or kevin garnett is 7'5.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

i think that all pro sports and pro entertainment (wwe and others) handle the "measuring" to make various points of emphasis. when i played semi pro football in massachusetts my team listed me at 6'6" in their program every year when i have never been any taller than 6'2". hulk hogan used to be described at 6'9' (or even taller?) and now in his commercials with troy aikman the hulkster is shorter than troy who was listed at 6'4" in his playing days.  i met rick flair one day in a hotel lobby and he was maybe 5'9 but they never said that he was that short. but, does it really matter if the player/entertainer is getting the job done?  if the celtics can win banner #18, i could care less if glen davis is 5'8" and 400 pounds or kevin garnett is 7'5.
    Posted by charliedarling

yeah, i don't care either.  in fairness to hogan, he did used to be an honest 6-7 but lost 3 inches after back surgery

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

Yeah, hogan has shrank a lot obviously.  He sure looked tall next to stallone though (who's got about an inch on the tiny tom cruise.)

When he first hit the wwwf he had been wrestling on georgia championship wrestling as sterling golden.  I remember for years he was actually listed at 6-10.  I stood next to ted diabiase and he was maybe 6-2. 

When I managed a quicktrip in wichita paul white used to come into my store.  He was a legit 6-11 and that's what he told me his height was.  But now the wwe lists the "big show" at like 7-2.  Back then he was thin and cut.  Now he's just roided out and puffy.  Dude's hands were incredibly large.  Fingers like polish sausages.

andre the giant was legit in his listed height and weight.

Sections
Shortcuts